PDA

View Full Version : Pimping Magna Graecia

HistoryProf
09-26-2007, 22:26
Has anyone seriously considered a Magna Graecia faction, centered on Southern Italy and Sicily?

Before you decide, please let me make an introductory case (I have more evidence to cite and game-play issues to defend).

It would no doubt be very weak militarily, but that might be a good challenge, and coupled with the smarter MTW2 Diplomatic AI, it might take the game to new heights with a creative player. I imagine a Syracusan Envoy landing in Cyprus begging for Ptolemaic intervention and coming back with the promise of an allied army on his heels. I don't think the development team should discount it due to an unexpected survival rate. The strengths of the new AI are worlds different than what we're all used to in EB1.

Someone's going to say that the city-states didn't get along:

On page 193 and 194 of

The Cambridge Ancient History
By I. E. S. Edwards, John Boardman, John B. Bury, S. A. Cook

Who wants to rumble? :book:

HistoryProf
09-27-2007, 05:00
uh, Volume 7, part 1.

I think. (Book is at school....:embarassed: )

Bootsiuv
09-27-2007, 19:02
Barring historical reasons, I do know that another faction in that area would do much to liven things up.

There seems to be a large percentage of current EB players who would like to see Syrakousai be in as a playable faction. Perhaps the EB gods are listening...

HistoryProf
09-28-2007, 06:08
Rome didn't subjugate Magna Graecia for quite awhile. A strong leader, some decent diplomacy and novel concepts in warfare could've seen them rise like other great powers in history.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
09-28-2007, 08:34
Syracuse could be a faction. Nothing else in the area seems worthy of considering.

One problem with adding factions to the area, as well, is the AI. As we have all seen, since Epirus owns Taras, the Romans don't have it as a priority over rebel settlements to the north. Having a faction in southern Italy would cause additional crazy Roman expansion.

Zarax
09-28-2007, 12:14
Unless there is some gallic faction to block their passage...
Pardon my ignorance but is there no chance to have either Aedui or Averni have the northern italian settlements in their starting territory maybe as lvl4 government?
That would make a lot of improvement on the game balance side imho.

HistoryProf
09-28-2007, 15:21
Zarax, Insubramrog was settled by Gallic peoples, displacing the previous inhabitants. So, on the contrary: I would think that only a Type I gov't would be available, they being the 'King's People' - not a few Celts ruling a subjugated peoples.

And Marcus, has anyone thought of switching from Rhegium to Croton as the seat of power for Brettia, and giving that region to Rome? Croton was in Roman hands surely by 272 BC, and might help prompt a war between Rome and Carthage (even though, if I have it right, it was more because of Iberia that the war was fought)

Zarax
09-28-2007, 15:35
HP, let me refine my previous post:
I meant lvl4 not because of the actual population but rather to represent that Aedui/Averni were allied with those tribes instead of them being proper members of the respective conferedacies.

The possibility of having LVL1 is of course plausible in my POV but not accurate as starting government.

HistoryProf
09-28-2007, 18:01
Zarax, I think I understand: you want to know the cause of the migration so you can determine the nature of the local government as it relates to the seat of power?

Marcus, the Tarantine-as-Eperiote issue and, as you mentioned, the resulting Roman AI reaction (keeping the Roman AI armies away from Southern Italy) is another good case for having Taras as Eleutheroi.

I get the feeling someone on the dev team is attached to seeing green on the 'heel' of the peninsula! I admit, it looks good.

IMO, Taras should be Eleutheroi. Syracuse should be a faction. The seat of Brettia should be an Eleutheroi Croton, freeing up space between Messana and the toe of Italy.

from NYU:

"HIERO (or Hieron) was born around 306 BC of unknown lineage. He served as an officer under Pyrrhos, a Greek adventurer who briefly controlled Syracuse c. 278-276 BC. Hiero's ascent to power began when he was elected co-commander of Syracusan armed forces driven from Syracuse by civil authorities. He executed a military coup of Syracuse about 275 BC after "he used some of his family connections to gain entry to the city," as Polybius writes. He consolidated his power by marrying Philistis, the daughter of a popular and influential Syracusan named Leptines. When veteran mercenaries who helped him seize power became unruly and disruptive, he led them into a battle in which they were cut to pieces by the enemy after he held back his reserves of Syracusan citizens.

In 265 BC Hiero won a decisive victory over the Mamertines, a gang of Italic mercenaries who ran a pirate empire from the Sicilian city of Messana which they had captured. As a result, Hiero was proclaimed King of Syracuse by his grateful subjects.

Hiero's defeat of the Mamertines upset the delicate balance of power among the Greeks, Romans, and Carthaginians, all of whom sought the control of Sicily. Rome's support of the defeated Mamertines precipitated the First Punic War in 264 BC, in which Carthage and Syracuse were initially allied against Rome. The Romans gained early victories over the Greco-Punic forces and prepared to lay siege to Syracuse. Hiero reconsidered his position and decided that it would be wiser to be an ally of Rome than of Carthage. He negotiated a treaty with Rome in 263 BC under whose terms he agreed to pay tribute and provide supplies and grain to the Romans. Hiero honored this treaty the rest of his life and became a loyal ally of Rome. The treaty guaranteed him a peaceful and prosperous reign as long as the Romans and Carthaginians were occupied in fighting each other.

Zarax
09-28-2007, 19:58
Zarax, I think I understand: you want to know the cause of the migration so you can determine the nature of the local government as it relates to the seat of power?

Err, to be precise what I would like to know is if the northern italian tribes were part or not of either the Aedui or Averni confederacies so that Rome wouldn't have rebels bordering them but proper factional lands as for now the EB team didn't reveal any precise plans for that area.

TBH I wouldn't mind some historical details, I could always use some good data for XGM (BTWm you got a PM in your TWC account)...

Elminster12
09-28-2007, 22:26
Eleuthroroi Taras would be willful historical inaccuracy, as the city didn't surrender until after Pyrrhos's death. It would be nice for Roma's expansion, but it would also make the Epeirotes and the situation in 272 BC inaccurate...

HistoryProf
09-28-2007, 23:05
Eleuthroroi Taras would be willful historical inaccuracy, as the city didn't surrender until after Pyrrhos's death. It would be nice for Roma's expansion, but it would also make the Epeirotes and the situation in 272 BC inaccurate...

Bollocks. Taras invited Pyrrhus to help defend against the Romans. That is not permission to claim the area for the Molossian throne. At the time of the surrender there were no Molossian units to speak of, unless you have some evidence to the contrary. But even if there were, does that mean it has given up sovereignty? Hardly.

Is Iraq the 51st U.S. state? No. Does the presence of French troops in Bosnia make it French? No.

Gameplay has clearly trumped history.

Show me where either Tarantine public will or governmental control was permanently relinquished to Pyrrhus, or even that tacit approval of that happening in the future was implied. He stopped some festivals and levied some troops. Big deal. I don't think that qualifies.

Sticking feathers up one's butt does not make him a chicken.

Geoffrey S
09-29-2007, 05:41
I don't know the exact situation in-game now, but I'd have thought that would merit a type 4 government (represents military alliance) then.

Ludens
09-29-2007, 10:17
Taras invited Pyrrhus to help defend against the Romans. That is not permission to claim the area for the Molossian throne. At the time of the surrender there were no Molossian units to speak of, unless you have some evidence to the contrary. But even if there were, does that mean it has given up sovereignty? Hardly.
But we are not talking about the time of surrender. We are talking several months earlier when there was (to my knowlegde) an Epeirote garrison in Taras. They may not have ruled the city, but they certainly gave Phyrus a degree of control, and would have intervened if Epeirote interests were threatened.

I agree that Taras was not part of Epeiros, but it wasn't fully independent either.

Foot
09-29-2007, 11:39
I don't know what type of gov we have setup there, but if it ain't 4 it perhaps should be.

Foot

HistoryProf
09-30-2007, 01:33
Ludens, I understand that line of thinking. I just don't happen to think that merits the implication of genuflection, which is demonstrated in the game.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
09-30-2007, 03:08
One gameplay reason that Taras is in Epieros' hands is because Pyrrhos was interested in Italia. Having Taras makes the AI expaned into Italia. Without Taras, Epieros would never land troops in Italy and would probably just take Illyria and wander north as Rome does.

HistoryProf
09-30-2007, 04:44
All the more reason to have a Magna Graecia faction based on Syracuse.:focus:

Ludens
09-30-2007, 11:31
I just don't happen to think that merits the implication of genuflection, which is demonstrated in the game.
Agreed, but it doesn't imply independence either. For subtle political distinctions, don't play R:TW.

Zaknafien
09-30-2007, 13:30
It is somewhat ridiculous to imply Magna Graecia was a 'nation' of any sort led by Syracuse.

HistoryProf
09-30-2007, 17:29
Wow, we're really going to strictly define nation-status in one conversation with Zak, and then simutaneously, intentionally blur the lines of genuflection and independence in another with Ludens?

I have to show this around the lunch room.

Zak, you can call a faction based on Syracuse the "Pop Tart Empire" for all I care; the fact remains it was the most powerful city of Magna Graecia. Groups of people and regions are combined to form larger entities almost perfunctorily in EB. So, please... spare me the indignation. In any case, this is a place of ideas, try to manifest parsimony. It's difficult, I know, but consider this gem I have to swallow every time I start a game:

It is not merely ridiculous to represent Syracuse as at war with Pyrrhus in 272 BC: it's a complete fabrication. But, I've heard the excuse, and totally understand: engine limits. I get it.

Ludens, so we're in agreement? Shortcuts have to be made. I think EB needs a caveat page.

Zaknafien
09-30-2007, 18:11
Syracuse is certainly being considered as a faction on its own merits, I dont mean to dismiss it as a powerful city-state.

HistoryProf
09-30-2007, 18:36
Really? Sweet. That truly is good news. Even if it's as vulnerable as Pontus, it'd be a great addition.

If I have it right, the leader would be one of Pyrrhus' former generals? Perhaps they would be considered allied?

:book:

Bootsiuv
09-30-2007, 18:41
Hiero II ruled at the beginning of the games timeframe, having recently siezed power from Phyrrus. They would definitely be a fun choice to include.

HistoryProf
09-30-2007, 18:53
From Wikipedia (gulp)...

""Hieron II, king of Syracuse from 270 to 215 BC, was the illegitimate son of a Syracusan noble, Hierocles, who claimed descent from Gelon. He was a former general of Pyrrhus of Epirus and an important figure of the First Punic War.

On the departure of Pyrrhus from Sicily (275 BC) the Syracusan army and citizens appointed him commander of the troops. He strengthened his position by marrying the daughter of Leptines, the leading citizen. In the meantime, the Mamertines, a body of Campanian mercenaries who had been employed by Agathocles, had seized the stronghold of Messana, and proceeded in harassing the Syracusans. They were finally defeated in a pitched battle near Mylae by Hieron, who was only prevented from capturing Messana by Carthaginian interference. His grateful countrymen then made him king (270).""

Do you have a source for 'seized power'? It would have bearing on how to portray, in game, the relationship between those two poiltical entities.

Bootsiuv
09-30-2007, 19:02
Well, your sources are my sources....

From the article on Syracuse, Sicily in Wikipedia...

"....Agathocles, who seized power with a coup in 317 BC. He resumed the war against Carthage, with alternate fortunes. He however scored a moral success, bringing the war to the Carthaginians' native African soil, inflicting heavy losses to the enemy. The war, however, ended with another treaty of peace which did not prevent the Carthaginians interfering in the politics of Syracuse after the death of the tyrant Agathocles (289 BC). The citizens therefore called Pyrrhus of Epirus for help. After a brief period under the rule of Epirus, Hiero II seized power in 275 BC."

It would appear that the author used a bad choice of words, and I stand corrected. :2thumbsup:

Ludens
09-30-2007, 19:09
In any case, this is a place of ideas, try to manifest parsimony. It's difficult, I know, but consider this gem I have to swallow every time I start a game:

It is not merely ridiculous to represent Syracuse as at war with Pyrrhus in 272 BC: it's a complete fabrication. But, I've heard the excuse, and totally understand: engine limits. I get it.

Ludens, so we're in agreement? Shortcuts have to be made. I think EB needs a caveat page.
My apologies, but I am not sure what you are saying. Certainly, it's not possible to be entirely accurate in the rendering of the political situation. However, I don't agree that an Epeirote-controlled Taras is inaccurate. Epeiros had a military force in Taras so it could hence influence Tarantine policies, whether the Tarentines liked it or not. Off course, this control would be less than absolute, but there is no way of representing that within R:TW, and it doesn't make the opposite, that of Epeiros having no control at all, accurate.

Syracuse on the other hand did not have a military presence in Taras or anywhere in the Italian mainland. If you can show that there were strong alliances between Syracuse under Hieros and the important cities of southern Italy at this time, then you could make a strong case for a Magna Grecian faction (I am not a historian, so for all I know this may have been the case).

HistoryProf
09-30-2007, 19:12
Agathocles attacked Africa? Wow, I had no idea! That means that Syracusan ship-building capacity had some meat on the bone, unless they were mercenary ships, of course.

I think the issue of political relationship between Syracuse and Epirus merits some further research.

Wikipedia sucks. It has it's uses, but it isn't worthy of citation. I feel so ashamed...

Bootsiuv
09-30-2007, 19:15
What can we say....convenience killed the cat....er, something like that. :dizzy2:

@Ludens

I don't think Magna Graecia was ever a united entity (in fact, I'm quite certain of that fact), more a hodge podge of independent city-states with different mother cities from the Greek mainland.

Of all of those city states, only Syrakousai or Taras is really worthy of it's own faction, and Taras was so heavily influenced by Epirus at this point in history, giving Taras to them is justified IMO.

HistoryProf
09-30-2007, 19:31
It seems from what I just read in

Unplanned Wars: The Origins of the First and Second Punic Wars
By B. Dexter Hoyos

that Syracuse didn't have the level of control over any polis worth mentioning in the way that Epirus had influence in Taras, and if that benchmark is to going define control, then I would guess Syracuse would be a single-state faction, like Pontus.

And no, Syracuse did not define 'Magna Graecia', but I think they clearly had designs on Messana, Rhegium, Croton and Paestum. Unfortunately, Rome happened to have those same designs also.

Ludens
09-30-2007, 19:47
I don't think Magna Graecia was ever a united entity (in fact, I'm quite certain of that fact), more a hodge podge of independent city-states with different mother cities from the Greek mainland.

Of all of those city states, only Syrakousai or Taras is really worthy of it's own faction, and Taras was so heavily influenced by Epirus at this point in history, giving Taras to them is justified IMO.
You are quite right, and I agree absolutely. I was thinking more of a strong military alliance, like the one that forms the basis for the Koinion Hellenion. I admit, though, that if I didn't enjoy playing the KH so much, I would be arguing for their removal. A military alliance, especially a short-lived one, is a weak basis for a faction in my opinion :hide: .

that Syracuse didn't have the level of control over any polis worth mentioning in the way that Epirus had influence in Taras, and if that benchmark is to going define control, then I would guess Syracuse would be a single-state faction, like Pontus.

And no, Syracuse did not define 'Magna Graecia', but I think they clearly had designs on Messana, Rhegium, Croton and Paestum. Unfortunately, Rome happened to have those same desgns also.
It's pretty much sure it's going to be a single-province faction. "Having designs on" would influence victory conditions, but not control. I am not sure what benchmark the EB team employs for control, but I am guessing it's either a strong alliance with or the presence of troops in the important cities of a region.

keravnos
10-03-2007, 21:18
For the record, the faction is being debated. There are some good arguements for it and against it.

HistoryProf and Ludens, feel free to post new ones.

Now, so far as Epeiros is concerned, it was held by Epeiros' troops albeit lightly. That constitutes control for as long as they stayed there. They were residing in the city, were thought of as garisson. Had Pyrrhos been victorious, and created the "Italian Kingdom" for one son and "Sikelian kingdom" for the other, he would have used Taras for the capital of the Italian kingdom. That seems like "Epeiros homeland" material to me.

Now, for the beginning situation, best case scenario, a type 4 "allied" gov. But the Epeirote player should be able to build a "homeland" in there if he chooses.

Bootsiuv
10-04-2007, 03:14
I love the idea of a Syrakousai faction, but fail to see how it won't be KH2.

This got me wondering....was there any troops which were "unique" to Syrakousai.

It would be interesting if they had a Punic/Hellenic mix, but I'm not really sure what sort of troops they employed during this timeframe...

HistoryProf
10-04-2007, 07:13
I agree with the depiction of the various seemingly gray-areas regarding faction territories as the best one can do within the framework of the game mechanism. Perfectly acceptable, and like I have said a zillion times: bravo! A Type 4 sounds right given the political situation, as long as Tarantine cavalry are able to be recruited.

That has always somewhat bothered me: to think that some additional infrastructure was needed to produce regional troops, even quality ones. These types of warriors are often just an expression of the indigenous way of fighting.

Yes, training does count, but it's the particular paradigm that produces the particular, corresponding type of fighter.

Cretan archers were Cretan archers because they were on Crete, and in fact, Cretans (with the bows that Cretans used). Know what I mean? So for me to have to build some infrastructure to enlist them seems redundant.

I would think that the opening roster for a unit of horsemen in Taras would be Tarantine Cavalry. After all, what else would they produce?

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/luke/ueda-sarson/Tarantines.html

To be sure, Spartan Hoplites required training, and some were more trained than others, but the Agoge to produce the BEST hoplites in the Hellenistic world had probably been there for 300 years by the time Alexander died. Apparently, the paradigm died at some point in history, that's for someone else to say.

Now, if could get the men of a particular people to fight for you... well that's another story, but (typically) it doesn't have f-all to do with building a new barracks.

Improved Barracks should be for chevrons, imo.

Ludens
10-04-2007, 21:09
Now, for the beginning situation, best case scenario, a type 4 "allied" gov. But the Epeirote player should be able to build a "homeland" in there if he chooses.
This could give a problem with the recruitment of Tarentine cavalry, unles you make them available in both factional and regional MICs (something I would like to see for most factional units, but that aside).

This got me wondering....was there any troops which were "unique" to Syrakousai.
Syracuse will get their own unique hoplites, which may or may not be in the next build of EB1. It also had a reputation when it came to military engineering, even before Archimedes. Also, I recall that Magna Grecian cities in general, and Tarentum in particular, had rather better cavalry than mainland Greece during the Pelloponesian war; but this may not have been the case in 272 B.C. anymore since the city had wrecked in between. I am not 100% sure about this anyway.

Cretan archers were Cretan archers because they were on Crete, and in fact, Cretans (with the bows that Cretans used). Know what I mean? So for me to have to build some infrastructure to enlist them seems redundant.
You don't think they would have needed infrastructure for production of said bows, not to mention the rest of their equipment? Now, if you are arguing that the infrastructure should be present from the beginning, I agree, but that would require a major overhaul of the recruitment system. This is also getting rather off-topic.

Zarax
10-04-2007, 21:52
Semi-historical, do you think Syracuse also should get gastraphetes?
As they were invented over there you'd expect them to keep the tradition...

HistoryProf
10-04-2007, 21:57
Luden's, I'd think they'd already have it (infrastructure).

I've never understood that idea that if one faction takes over another faction, that suddenly the defeated people's can't produce the types of warriors and equipment that they've been producing for decades, maybe centuries.

Do all the fletchers move away? Not likely.

Speaking to keravnos' post: I always start off with a Type IV government in a newly conquered territory anyway, but I agree with him, for sure. And sticking to my main point, of course Tarantine Cavalry should always be recruitable in Taras.

Zarax
10-04-2007, 22:02
I like to think about the local MIC as a way of winning over the locals.
At first you get the poorest levies, who will fill in for food, after that you need more and more effort to get to the upper classes...

Tellos Athenaios
10-04-2007, 23:46
Magna Graecia:
a) A ROMAN name. So? Well, it already emphasises the fact that the Greeks themselves did not view it as an entity. At least the Chermonidean League is attested: there is this bill of Chremonides...
b) Consisted of a bunch of poleis which weren't even formally allied to each other like the KH were...

HistoryProf
10-05-2007, 06:28
Do you know what region of the world and what time period I am thinking of when I say Magna Graecia?

Obviously you do. So, do I really have to refer to every area in the ancient world in it's native tongue? No.

I don't remember reading that they were even nominally allied. Hadn't Rhegium and Croton just resolved a war? Messana's just a bunch of pirates at that time. Paestum's already under the heel of Rome, IIRC.

But all that aside, you're missing the point:

I don't care what you call it, or where you put the capitol, my point was, that in my opinion, a faction needs to be between Rome and Lilybaeum: Oenortii, Croto, Syracuse, whatever...

ps: Since you're getting all indignant over semantics: it's the Decree of Chremonides, not Bill and that doesn't happen for at least another 7 years.

abou
10-05-2007, 06:53
Well, you know us - Megale Hellas would have been better.

EB: Yes, we split hairs.

HistoryProf
10-05-2007, 15:07
abou, I'm glad you guys split hairs. Seriously, your collective finished product is always a step beyond the expected.

But actually, 'Greater Greece', would be the correct way to say it in English.

Tellos Athenaios
10-05-2007, 18:01
In that case (you do not want M. Graecia as one separate faction; you want ONE polis from M. Graecia to be a sperate faction) you should be glad to know that Syrakousai is still in the race; and that's all there is to it, no?

So I don't get this thread. :inquisitive:

HistoryProf
10-05-2007, 18:29
The point of this thread is the same as the billions of other threads in the millions of forums on the Internet: discussion.

I'll say it one MORE time: I (me, the writer of this post, and starter of this thread) do (verb, present, singular, 1st person) NOT (adverb) care (verb) how (conjunction) you (informal, plural, pronoun) manifest (verb - to show) it (objective, pronoun re: faction in S. Italy, and/or Sicily).

It'd just be nice to see. This is not written with an audience in mind, per se.

But since this still is a discussion, that's NOT all there is to it.

If you or someone else continues the merits or lack thereof regarding a possible presence of a faction in said area, so be it. I might care to comment again.

You don't get it? I don't get why you want to poop on this thread. It's lead to some interesting discussion.

Tellos Athenaios
10-05-2007, 23:01
Post #1:

Has anyone seriously considered a Magna Graecia faction, centered on Southern Italy and Sicily?

Before you decide, please let me make an introductory case (I have more evidence to cite and game-play issues to defend).

It would no doubt be very weak militarily, but that might be a good challenge, and coupled with the smarter MTW2 Diplomatic AI, it might take the game to new heights with a creative player. I imagine a Syracusan Envoy landing in Cyprus begging for Ptolemaic intervention and coming back with the promise of an allied army on his heels. I don't think the development team should discount it due to an unexpected survival rate. The strengths of the new AI are worlds different than what we're all used to in EB1.

Someone's going to say that the city-states didn't get along:

On page 193 and 194 of

The Cambridge Ancient History
By I. E. S. Edwards, John Boardman, John B. Bury, S. A. Cook

Who wants to rumble? :book:

Correct me if I am wrong. But it does read:
a Magna Graecia faction, centered on Southern Italy and Sicily

Okaaay... so you want either Magna Graecia as a faction; or you want one faction which has the property/properties (p(x) in logic) of the Magna Graecia type/class. Or you don't quite know what you want -given your incoherent reasoning later on that's altogether the most likely option.

But we're not yet there, are we?

Someone's going to say that the city-states didn't get along

City-states... hmm plural is it not? And apparently you foresee the case that someone is going to argue about inclusion of more than one city-state in the faction. Hence property p(x) must refer to the faction as desired by the author of the thread being something plural. So apparently this faction must contain multiple objects which either each on their own; or all together have the property p(x) as noted earlier.

But lo and behold; the author of forementioned quotes (unless of course there are multiple authors writing under the pseudonym of HistoryProf that is - checking: there aren't any are there?) isn't quite consequent:

But all that aside, you're missing the point:

Ah we are missing the point... That, my dear, coupled to the colon you so recklessly use, implies (and if you knew about logic, you'd know that to imply is to yield; and that conclusions are entirely valid if based on implications!) the point will be revealed right at this very moment:

I don't care what you call it, or where you put the capitol, my point was, that in my opinion, a faction needs to be between Rome and Lilybaeum: Oenortii, Croto, Syracuse, whatever...

And suddenly it becomes all so clear. Property p(x) is implicitly defined to be "between Rome and Lilybaeum and consisting of one single entity".
(For your information: entity is taken to mean an instance of similar properties as formentioned examples: Syracuse, Croto, Oenortii". Syracuse was a city-state, and more importantly it is ONE city state. Same goes for Croto.)

But this contradicts the idea of the plural (mutiple object/entities if you don't get it) which is implied in:

Someone's going to say that the city-states didn't get along

Fail to see it, do you? Well "city-states" is still a plural. And your sentence implies that someone is going to argue what you want over that property u(x).

p(x) is a property of the faction as you propose it; as is u(x). But the two are mutually exclusive!

This implies that the same reasoning yields an impossible result. It also implies that the reasoning somehow has misapplied logic - which implies that the author is not consequent when it comes to applying logic in one and the same case. (This thread, if you didn't realise.) In fact he is contradicting himself (in terminis - no less).

The fact that he replies this way:

The point of this thread is the same as the billions of other threads in the millions of forums on the Internet: discussion.

I'll say it one MORE time: I (me, the writer of this post, and starter of this thread) do (verb, present, singular, 1st person) NOT (adverb) care (verb) how (conjunction) you (informal, plural, pronoun) manifest (verb - to show) it (objective, pronoun re: faction in S. Italy, and/or Sicily).

It'd just be nice to see. This is not written with an audience in mind, per se.

But since this still is a discussion, that's NOT all there is to it.

If you or someone else continues the merits or lack thereof regarding a possible presence of a faction in said area, so be it. I might care to comment again.

You don't get it? I don't get why you want to poop on this thread. It's lead to some interesting discussion.

when confronted with the fact that somebody does not see the point of the derailed reasoning:

In that case (you do not want M. Graecia as one separate faction; you want ONE polis from M. Graecia to be a sperate faction) you should be glad to know that Syrakousai is still in the race; and that's all there is to it, no?

So I don't get this thread.

Strengthens the impression that forementioned author is not familiar with the art of reasoning.

Why?

Well, somebody replies to the discussion at hand --about the inclusion of the faction which the thread creator so desires-- and tells him that a faction with property p(x) is being considered. Property p(x) has been defined by the author himself as being characteristic of the faction he wants.

Look at the following sentence:

This particular sentence is very interesting because if we get rid of all the redundant bits we end up with:

I'll say it one MORE time: I do NOT care how you manifest it.

With "it" being an object of property p(x). Look at the previous statments. It is utterly and completely unconnected to what the author has been arguing; given that he strongly disagrees with a remark that has been made right before his statement (as implied by "I'll say it one MORE time"). Note that in meaningful language the statement "I'll say it one MORE time:" implies that the succeeding part of the sentence must contain the whole point of the authors previous remark/remarks.

Sadly however the author seems completely oblivious to the logic which makes language either meaningful or nonsense:

"I do NOT care how you manifest it"

So what does the author argue then? Well this particular statement would've implied that the previous remark must have disagreed by arguing the point of "how to manifest it". But alas, that's not the case:
"In that case (you do not want M. Graecia as one separate faction; you want ONE polis from M. Graecia to be a sperate faction) you should be glad to know that Syrakousai is still in the race; and that's all there is to it, no?"

Note the words "In that case". If you knew about logic you would have immediately recognised it's particular exclusive properties: it means the same as "if and only if". Note the parentheses: they suggest that any language between them is not strictly neccessary for the purpose of the sentences; and that it is merely added to clarify some preceeding piece of language. This then implies that the piece between parentheses is connected to the preceeding piece of language "In that case". Hence the sentence would logically yield:

"If and only if you do not want M. Graecia as one separate faction; you want ONE polis from M. Graecia to be a sperate faction you should be glad to know that Syrakousai is still in the race; and that's all there is to it, no?"

Note the tag question which reads "no?". This implies a certain degree of uncertainty about the previous statement!

Now consider this:

"If and only if p(x) and not u(x) then statement; statement with certain degree of uncertainty."

(I switched the conditionals for the sake of clarity; it's easier to read that way. Also, note the semi-colon: it implies that the piece before and the piece after it are distinctly stand-alone content and do not depend on each other.)

Then consider the next sentence:

"So I don't get this thread"

It means that based on the previous sentence there must have occured a discrepancy between the thread and the previous sentence (the implication of the word "So" is that the succeeding words must be connected to preceeding words) which is part of said thread.

Okay, let's look at the previous sentence again when it is reduced to it's logic:

"If and only if p(x) and not u(x) then statement must be true; next statement may be true."

Consider the following possibility -the word "So" refers to:

"If and only if p(x) and not u(x) then statment must be true"

And now use or memory: the author of the thread defined his faction to be both p(x) AND u(x); the comment however is about p(x) and NOT u(x).

Then that won't be the issue after all.

Next consider the following possibility -the issue which is adressed by the sentence (that the author does not understand what/why the thread is) is implicated in the statement that must be true:

"you should be glad to know that Syrakousai is still in the race"

That is one faction with property p(x) as defined by the author of the thread - but which lacks the property u(x) which is also defined by the author. And the faction which suffices must have (again by the definitions made by the author) have both property p(x) and u(x). However, p(x) and u(x) are mutually exclusive as pointed out earlier.

Hence the faction desired by the author is plain impossible --or there must have been an oversight.

And this is what yields the logical result: "So I don't get this thread."

----------------

PS: You should learn to be less trollish when you want a discussion. And if you don't want a discussion you should at least put a disclaimer next to your trollish remarks. That is, if you are not serious about it. Because if you do not want a serious discussion (even though you claimed that this thread was written with spawning a discussion in mind:
The point of this thread is the same as the billions of other threads in the millions of forums on the Internet: discussion )

you genuinely qualify as a full 100% utter and complete troll. In my personal opinion of course- because we have to remain civil with each other.

Note that I find your writing style and your name strikingly similar to one pseudonym over at TWC. And that one shows the exactly same lack of being able to understand the idea of a discussion either. All he seems to be after is proving himself right, even if his reasoning is flawed.

Foot
10-06-2007, 00:06
Aw, he busted the logic on your arse. Didn't have time to follow it, though.

Foot

Bootsiuv
10-06-2007, 00:33
@TA...

:dizzy2:

Oh....my....goodness.

Is that a post or a formula for nuclear fission?

Was there math in there?

Nevertheless, it was entertaining. :2thumbsup:

(I did catch the sarcasm there BTW, thanks for the shits and giggles) :beam:

That being said, I don't see this thread as a bad thing per se, as it has raised some interesting discussion....so I don't quite understand why you guys are arguing.

Like I said though, the exploits of others are entertaining at the least, so keep it up. :2thumbsup:

Tellos Athenaios
10-06-2007, 01:30
@TA...

:dizzy2:

Oh....my....goodness.

Is that a post or a formula for nuclear fission?

Was there math in there?

It's a post alright. And yes, it did include math. But the math is nothing compared to the proof of the statement 1 + 1 = 2. (Which incidentally was delivered for the first time that we know of in the mid 19th century by a famous Mathematician & Historian called Bertrand Russell -- yes the one after whom the Russell square in London was named)

skuzzy
10-06-2007, 03:23
And who says historians are too nerdy to be complete dicks? That rhetorical question is not intended for any sole entity as multiple people were cry babies and should be scolded as such :)

HistoryProf
10-06-2007, 04:31
Let's look at your first post to see what you were contributing to the conversation.

Let's see how reasonable you were at first.

Because usually I only become a dick after someone has been rude.

Let's see...

HistoryProf
10-06-2007, 05:08
Magna Graecia:
a) A ROMAN name. So? Well, it already emphasises the fact that the Greeks themselves did not view it as an entity. At least the Chermonidean League is attested: there is this bill of Chremonides...
b) Consisted of a bunch of poleis which weren't even formally allied to each other like the KH were...

This was your first contribution? This is you being reasonable?

Oh, wait!

YES!

I get it now! Yes... that MUST be it.

You came charging in like a bull, all full of yourself cause you're a big-time developer, and some old man caught you with your jaw open... some doddering, grey-haired, little old man caught you with a right hook to the flapping ego...

The Bill of Chremonides! :oops:

I got you, kid! And that reaaaaaaaly pissed you off! Didn't it?

Oh, goodness: and in front of all your friends! :wall:

All that p(x) mumbo-jumbo = Showing off to all your friends that you weren't stupid.

What a vulgar display that was.

And all you had to say was, "Oh, right... Decree of Chremonides..."

But, nooooo... you're too vain for that!

You bet on your intellect instead... with a 'scathing post'..

But you lost your freeking marbles instead!

You are transparent, T.A.

I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight!

Hell, I might even go bone my old lady! Thanks, chump!

Ha! Bill of Chremonides! Indeed!

HA!

:book:

Foot
10-06-2007, 08:37
Oh yes HistoryProf, cos you are are the height of politeness and civilised discourse. I mean, its like the pot calling the kettle black.

Foot

Son of Perun
10-06-2007, 08:45
Sorry guys, but this thread is becoming ridiculous.

There is "New factions?" thread for discussion and "EB TAVERN" for pointless rows. Feel free to choose one of them.

Tellos Athenaios
10-06-2007, 12:46
@HistoryProf:

Magna Graecia:

This was said when property p(x) was a quite unknown quality at the momenet. In fact all indications were that you wanted a faction in a similar style as the KH. That post objects against such a faction with the reasonable argument: "If the faction must have a similar set up as the KH the n there must be a faction in the region which historically did operate very similarly. And that is not the case: you had this bunch of poleis which weren't even formally allied to each other; and no such faction is even formally attested like the KH was in the bill of Chremonides."

That I get the nomenclature wrong in one instance -and you seem to perfectly understand what I was meaning; as did everyone else who continued the argument- and I get corrected is all OK. In fact that somebody tells me I should've called it the Decree of Chremonides is nothing but praiseworthy. However, did I continue an argument over nomenclature? Did I in fact argue one single time that I was right and you were wrong? No, very simply because to me the entire point of this thread is not to argue about who's right and who's wrong.

And the fact that you take it the way you do strengthens my opinion that
"Note that I find your writing style and your name strikingly similar to one pseudonym over at TWC. And that one shows the exactly same lack of being able to understand the idea of a discussion either. All he seems to be after is proving himself right, even if his reasoning is flawed."

Please -just to make sure you understand it- a discussion is something completely different from a debate. A debate is about proving one right and the other wrong; or at least proving yourself to have the better arguments.

A discussion on the other hand is about reaching a common ground. Either by convincing the other; or by realising the worth of each other's arguments.

If you found me rude at that time -which you apparently did not; because you never mentioned it back then-- you coul've said so. Such is the nature of a discussion.

Now as for the rest of your post:

got you, kid! And that reaaaaaaaly pissed you off! Didn't it?

Oh, goodness: and in front of all your friends!

All that p(x) mumbo-jumbo = Showing off to all your friends that you weren't stupid.

What a vulgar display that was.

And all you had to say was, "Oh, right... Decree of Chremonides..."

But, nooooo... you're too vain for that!

You bet on your intellect instead... with a 'scathing post'..

But you lost your freeking marbles instead!

You are transparent, T.A.

I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight!

Ha! Bill of Chremonides! Indeed!

HA!

seems to indicate that you never ever actually read my post but simply started shouting. To me, especially given the actual content (even though I was being sarcastic, but you can hardly blame me after the post you just made previously- can you?) of my forementioned post gives the impression of dealing with a 6 year old. I am sorry, but that really is how you make yourself look like. Be a little more mature please.

Now as for the content of my post: it was an explanation of why I reacted with "So I don't get this thread" -which you seemed so indignant about. It has nothing to do with vanity; nor has it anything to do with the "decree of Chremonides". That's all you make out of it. And as you know you can get know someone by...

Finally:

to each his own. Though you might have had the decency to think twice and come up with something better. But I guess that's the problem with you: you don't think twice and you keep reacting on the spur of the moment. Had I done so I would not have been merely sarcastic with you... So I guess I will just leave this thread to you, then you won't need to feel offended by my posts and you won't need to make such a silly show of yourself.

Have a nice day,

alpaca
10-06-2007, 14:12
Slowly guys, there's no need to get worked up about it :turtle:

The logic remarks made me laugh though (and the reaction even more so) :laugh4:

Besides, I thought the "So I don't get this thread" part in your post referred to your uncertain statement which is directly preceding it (paraphrased "and that's all there is to it, or is there more?") when I first read it by the way, which I in fact interpreted as a request for clarification. Maybe HistoryProf made the same mistake and believed that he had already explained himself.

Zarax
10-06-2007, 16:00
Suggestion: somebody delete all the posts from where the flaming started so we can salvage the topic.

That said, IMHO here we should discuss on what supports the existence of a megale hellas based faction instead of a pissing match.

HistoryProf
10-06-2007, 16:34
Hey Foot, I'm not the one going psycho.

Afterall, I did start the thread, it has a topic that people were building ideas on, and we were having a decent conversation by all accounts until T.A. started pushing me around.

I'm usually polite until someone writes something obtuse.

But what you don't get from me are 1000-word ravings.

In any case, I am right about why he's pissed.

My advice: don't go drinking w/ him at your favorite bar.

Alpaca, you're probably right, I should've asked him if I could clarify anything. But he seemed bent on disruption in his first post.

Zarax
10-06-2007, 16:42
HP, to be brutally honest I'm not interested about who's doing what.
What is in my interest is to try and have as many chances as possible to support Syracuse as EB2 faction and I'm trying to fix the possible bumps on the road.
If I was a moderator here I would have deleted more than a few posts already but as I'm not all I can do is to try and cool down the flames.

So, do we want to try and recover the topic or do we want to continue and get this thread locked?

HistoryProf
10-06-2007, 17:14
Quite right Z, I was actually just about to address Luden's point on infrastructure. Wouldn't it just be a matter of starting certain (not all) cities off with more improved barracks? Or am I missing something else? 'Cause even I could do that.

And Zarax, what's a gastraphetes?

Also, no one has addressed the Croton issue. IIRC, isn't it in Roman hands in 272 B.C.? That level of advancement down the peninsula should IMO, merit some representation - perhaps a small field army?

I don't think that anyone should worry about Syracuse getting whacked early. The political AI in M2TW is something worlds different from what EB's AI has been limited to.

I played GrandViz' Ultimate AI last night and it was stunning, but it helps make single-state factions viable.

Zarax
10-06-2007, 18:04
Gastraphetes ("belly bowmen") are the ancient equivalent of crossbowmen, basically using a big composite bow that was reloaded in quite an original way.
Wikipedia should have a pretty explanatory article on that, my only doubt is if those units were still in use in the game timeframe...

EDIT: not much of an article but still something: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastraphetes

Bootsiuv
10-06-2007, 18:08
Zarax kicking pacifistic logic! :2thumbsup:

Word, bro. I agree....the taverns always open for those that feel the need to vent, and no one judges you in there.

Back to the discussion of Syrakousai in EB2, I have a feeling it's going to make it in.

Not because of the public demand (which is high), but because they were important enough (even if for only a short time)in EB's timeframe to warrant inclusion.

But I'm no member, so we'll have to wait and see.

I am interested in what kind of roster they would have. I would think they would have some Punic influences, but an uncertain.

HistoryProf
10-06-2007, 18:20
Is that right? Learn something new everyday. I wonder why that idea didn't take hold. Crossbows were brutaly effective in Europe (China as well, although when I don't know) in later years, so if it was invented in the 1st Century A.D. in Sicily (if that's right?) there must have been some mitigating, confounding variable.

If you find some literature on it, send it my way?

But I doubt the EB dev team will allow something like that in the game, unless some overwhelming evidence that they were widely in use close to the start date.

Perhaps if they let Syracuse in, they'll turn Malta into a region? That'd also be interesting.

Zarax
10-06-2007, 18:29
I think they would rely heavily on mercenaries (just like Carthage) and have some heavily defensive factional roster...
Gastraphetes were one example of that, created to snipe the enemy troops out of range, especially in siege situations.

HistoryProf
10-06-2007, 18:51
I would think a roster similar to K.H., perhaps with access to a wider variety of mercenaries.

It was a major seaport, so stocks of mercenaries should replenish quite frequently.

The idea that another Greek faction is redundant underestimates the pervasiveness and ubiquity of the Greek in the ancient world.

Zarax
10-06-2007, 18:55
IIRC the EB team talked about having a separate unit of syracusean hoplites, halfway between classical and iphicratean...
That should be quite interesting to witness...

Zarax
10-06-2007, 19:29
Is that right? Learn something new everyday. I wonder why that idea didn't take hold. Crossbows were brutaly effective in Europe (China as well, although when I don't know) in later years, so if it was invented in the 1st Century A.D. in Sicily (if that's right?) there must have been some mitigating, confounding variable.

If you find some literature on it, send it my way?

But I doubt the EB dev team will allow something like that in the game, unless some overwhelming evidence that they were widely in use close to the start date.

Perhaps if they let Syracuse in, they'll turn Malta into a region? That'd also be interesting.

No, it was invented much earlier...

The gastraphetes (Greek γαστραφέτης, lit. 'belly-bow') was a handheld crossbow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossbow), used by ancient Greeks. It was described in the first century AD by the Greek author Heron of Alexandria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_of_Alexandria) in his work Belopoeica (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Belopoeica&action=edit) (Greek βελοποίικα, 'on catapult-making'). It is believed to have been invented around 400 BC.[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sources)]
The weapon was powered by a composite bow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_bow). It was cocked by resting the stomach in a concavity at the rear of the stock and pressing down with all strength. In this way considerably more energy can be summoned up than by using only one arm of the archer as in the hand-bow.
There are no attestations through pictures or archaeological finds, but the description by Heron is detailed enough to have allowed modern reconstructions to be made.
A larger version of the gastraphetes were the oxybeles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxybeles), which were used in siege warfare. These were later supplanted by the early ballistae (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballista) that later also developed into smaller versions supplanting also the gastraphetes

Bootsiuv
10-07-2007, 03:22
IIRC the EB team talked about having a separate unit of syracusean hoplites, halfway between classical and iphicratean...

I think I've heard they're going to be out in EB1 as a regional for Syracuse....it was in a thread in this forum somewhere IIRC.

HistoryProf
10-07-2007, 05:23
Zarax I sent you some info.

Son of Perun
10-07-2007, 08:10

Sounds good, but are there any evidences of such hoplites?

Admetos
10-07-2007, 10:21
If they're being included there must be, the EB team aren't going to include them if there isn't.

Zarax
10-07-2007, 10:27
I'm sure the team will make the right choice...
After I go back to Sardinia I might be able to bring back enough ammo for a pet peeve of mine...

Bootsiuv
10-07-2007, 22:54
I sense a challenge to the EB establishment in the works. :beam:

Some first hand evidence to challenge the established status quo?

*wonders what Zarax is contemplating*

HistoryProf
10-08-2007, 00:32
Bootsiuv's got a nose for skull-duggery. :quiet: