PDA

View Full Version : Religion and piety in WH

uanime5
09-28-2007, 11:39
Since it's possible to change the name of both of these I propose we change 'religion' to Culture and 'piety' to Admiration? Since M2TW can display up to 7 religions (including heretic) this would allow us to divide up the various factions into different groups who are more willing to accept one conqueror than another.

I recommended renaming piety because if you remove religion it makes no sense to have pious generals. Since piety levels are determined entirely by traits it would be easy to change how a general increases their piety, such as winning battles against enemy cultures, religions, and factions.

While this may not be the best solution, it is one possible solution.

Abokasee
09-28-2007, 16:12
Since it's possible to change the name of both of these I propose we change 'religion' to Culture and 'piety' to Admiration? Since M2TW can display up to 7 religions (including heretic) this would allow us to divide up the various factions into different groups who are more willing to accept one conqueror than another.

I recommended renaming piety because if you remove religion it makes no sense to have pious generals. Since piety levels are determined entirely by traits it would be easy to change how a general increases their piety, such as winning battles against enemy cultures, religions, and factions.

While this may not be the best solution, it is one possible solution.

So you mean orcs, chaos, dark elves are 1 group, empire, high elves, bretonia, dwarfs are another, wood elves are on there own, lizard men are on there own, tomb kings and vampire another, etc

Silly Knicket
09-28-2007, 19:35
One way to save culture/religion "slots" could be to put geographically distant factions on the same "slot", since they probably won´t come into contact anyway. While not being the ideal solution, at least it is a partial workaround to the hardcoded limit.

Bwian
09-29-2007, 09:14
We will have ot be careful when it comes to how we assign the culture/religion slots, but any ideas that will help to minimise the problem will be useful. We will also have to minimies the degree to which this controls gameplay, making sure that there is enough hostility to go round!

lanky316
09-30-2007, 15:54
This was an idea I'd looked at when thinking of undead and recruiting mercenaries. Now it's by no means set since I'm sure 80% of people will agree but I was trying to think of it by species so bare with me.

Chaos - The four chaos deities and perhaps skaven included. I remember there being a school of thought that the Horned rat was a lesser deity (didn't they even have a greater demon in an earlier ed?). So I guess that links them, plus if I remember correctly, wasn't it a humanoid being who talked the citizens of what became Skavenblight into building their tower and bell? I guess that way it links it.

Undead - Simple "religion" this one, the two undead factions. It works in with the idea of making Undead units cheaper to hire as mercenaries for the undead factions.

Elven - This is a tough and kind of hard one to agree with in the case of lore... The three elves as one "religion" I know it doesn't kind of fit in BUT they are similar in culture. If in doubt we can put DE in with the Chaos "religion" but I was looking at the culture, dark elf and high elf is similar, just blacker/whiter depending on which type of elf they are ;)

Humanoid - Although the big two human nations don't share the same deity in itself they are close enough in my view in principles. Both nations have their holy war point of view and warrior monk principles when it comes. I believe both nations have called "crusades" on religious grounds so we can link here.

Dwarven - Hard to find anyone the dwarves really link with culturally and principally, always seemed to get on reasonably with humans so could link in there maybe if not on their own but dwarves to me have always felt quite insular.

Savage - Orcs, Gobbos and lizards here for me. They're generally more primal in instinct so though not what you would put on the same page I kind of link them in together "religiously".

As I said, this is just an idera I thought up, you may not, and probably won't agree with everything i've said but it is a way I was looking at doing it. Hopefully you'll find something you can draw on from this ramble!

Jubal_Barca
09-30-2007, 19:04
Lizards and Dwrves should go together. the both sit around in one area of the map and have vast hords of gold. :2thumbsup:

A Norseman
10-01-2007, 12:39
I agree on the Elfs. Dark Elfs and High Elfs have much the same religion.
But linking lizardmen up with orcs? no.. (imagne slann priest with orc armies.. i do not see the conection) Im thinking about a religion slot in wich to place the outsider races like lizardmen and scaven. A neutral religion whidout religius buildings, priest and that sort of thing. so that the major races culd get more diversety.

Enthes
10-01-2007, 20:22
for religions i would say
Order
Chaos
Neutral (WE, orcs, ogres ect)
Undead

lizard men are an odd race as they are always at war with chaos but I wouldn't really put them with the empire and such. they are more neutral I think

Rich101
10-02-2007, 14:20
Might I suggest it would be a huge missed opportunity not separating out orc factions into one religion group replacing cristianity or islam.

Rather than having the one orc faction it might be a good idea to have 3-4 orc tribes (perhaps each with 1 unique unit) happily warring amoungst themselves.

This leaves the great option to add in a Waaagh!

Whereby (catholic) the orc faction petitions Gork and Mork (the pope, might be hard to deal with this) for permisson to start a Waaagh!

Or the entirely easier option of a Jihad based Waaagh whereby an orc shamen of sufficient ?peity? calls one.

This could be hugely entertaining seeing 3-4 vast greenskin stacks bearing down on you.

Jubal_Barca
10-03-2007, 18:12
I call a jiWAAAAAAAAAAGH!