PDA

View Full Version : Fun Idea?

GamblerTuba
10-05-2007, 20:18
Reading a thread about AI controlled armies got me thinking. Something interesting to try would be to split a unit or two (cavalry or general probalby) out of your army. Move the rest of the army next to your target and then attack with your spare unit or two. If your units are next to each other (and you are using cavalry) you should be able to catch up with the AI main force before the battle starts.
In the ensuing battle, allow the AI to control the main force and see what you can do to influence the battle with your small cavalry force. I foresee some very frustrating moments where you curse the stupidity of your forces but it could be a fun way to handicap yourself w/o simply autocalculating every battle.
Anyone tried something like this? Sound like fun?

mrdun
10-05-2007, 20:29
A very good idea i'll try that, when I can win on hard:shame:

SSJVegetaTrunks
10-05-2007, 21:16
I love the idea! I'm going to make an AAR based off of that next time! It will be centered around the leader of one Cavalry unit...

professorspatula
10-05-2007, 21:26
See this thread on the same theme. https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=78114

I was going to suggest to mrdun in his thread about removing cavalry that he might as well try just controlling his general unit and allowing the AI to control the rest of the troops. Providing your strategy on the campaign map is good, you should still triumph over the AI even if you suffer greater losses by just having one unit under your control.

I was going to attempt such a mini-campaign myself controlling just a general or hero unit but my game is forever being modded and currently not fully playable.

Recommendations - play the game with all the UI options off like the map and unit cards. Lock the camera on the sole unit you control, zoom down low and pump up the bass and sound effects. It's great fun when the battle goes in your favour! Very cinematic.

SSJVegetaTrunks
10-05-2007, 21:29
How do you lock the camera on your unit again?

mrdun
10-05-2007, 21:47
Is there a better way than DEL?

In fact i'm going to try it, always make copies when altering files! its times like this i think "I'm so glad I saw someones sig saying cool modders make backups"

woad&fangs
10-05-2007, 22:52
I think I was forced to fight a large and important battle like this in an Armenia campaign. I don't remember why I had to but it was fun none the less.

Caius
10-06-2007, 04:31
Is there a better way than DEL?

In fact i'm going to try it, always make copies when altering files! its times like this i think "I'm so glad I saw someones sig saying cool modders make backups"
Epistolary Richard.

Sad he's gone, he is a worthy mod.

guineawolf
10-06-2007, 08:08
A very good idea i'll try that, when I can win on hard:shame:
this is a brilliant idea,i think i will try this,coz i am boring keep killing routers..:2thumbsup:

mrdun
10-06-2007, 10:24
Epistolary Richard

So it was...

Back on topic. Anyone tried it yet?

Poulp'
10-06-2007, 13:10
Epistolary Richard

So it was...

Back on topic. Anyone tried it yet?

the solo cav unit ?
I did, great fun, or great frustation when a dumb AI leads your troops like lemmings (to their fall)
It's a new gaming experience, and with some mods where every soldier looks the same, it feels like a real battle ("Are we holding or are they punching through our line already ?" "Hum, I can't say for sure sir, better if you go and see")
It really make you feel like you seeing the war from the basic footman's perspective. I wish I had the idea to turn off UI.

It leads me to the next question; can your CPU display good graphics ?
I got tired of triangular legs and square faces, I can only handle the view from high above.

SSJVegetaTrunks
10-06-2007, 16:01
I tried it a bit as the general. It was fun, but sometimes I felt a little weak (I didn't give the General unit any upgrades), and I set everyone else under AI control. I'm going to do this in my next AAR, but I need to find a good balance for the unit's stats.

professorspatula
10-06-2007, 20:38
The only problem with using the general unit is that when the AI orders the rest of your army around, your general tends to automatically rear his horse and wave his arm like he's just given the order. This causes your general to lag behind the rest of the unit which is a bit annoying at times if you have the view locked on your unit. It's worth considering splitting your army into two stacks - one with the general/special unit by himself, the other with the main army. You control the general's force, the AI can do what it wants with your main force. Unfortunately you lose the benefits of any command stars your general might have, but at least you don't have to worry about anything else but moving your unit around. Then again you can bring two generals to each battle, and you control one them. Not an ideal solution though.

Could make for an interesting little campaign though. Maybe even turn the campaign difficulty down if need be and auto-resolve all other battles your hero unit doesn't feature in.

Also I don't know if it's because I was using someone else's AI formations, but I was surprised just how well your AI controlled forces will attempt to reform the battle lines.

SSJVegetaTrunks
10-06-2007, 23:43
Another problem I found was how when one of your units routs, you have to put him back under AI control manually when he gets control over himself. Any idea how to fix this?

professorspatula
10-07-2007, 02:13
Hmm, that is a problem. You'll either have to withdraw the unit completely, quickly pair him up with another unit and stick the group under AI control again, or just make sure you have 2 armies like I suggested before - one army you control with just the general, the other the AI fully controls. Then the routing units will always been under your AI control.

SSJVegetaTrunks
10-07-2007, 15:53
Problem with that in campaigns is Delayed Reinforcements.

professorspatula
10-07-2007, 16:41
Yea but the delays are usually because there are too many people in the battle so the game waits until men start dying in their droves before bringing on the reinforcements. However, really you'd still only really be having 2 proper sized armies fighting it out as one army consists of just one unit. So I can't imagine you get the delayed reinforcements message. Still if you do, you could always withdraw from the battle and curse the gods for the situation.

SSJVegetaTrunks
10-07-2007, 18:24
I've had one or two units get delayed before. Hmmm, maybe I'll try it some time and see how it works.

mrdun
10-07-2007, 20:02
I've had one or two units get delayed before. Hmmm, maybe I'll try it some time and see how it works.

Do you have unit sizes on large/ huge, is it something do do with if you have a crap comp then the game will try to reduce numbers so you have a "better" battle. I presume that you know if this is true or not being a veteran with rtw.

I am currently trying a m/m campaign as Julii, Ai auto-controlling everything ie taxes recruitment etc. It is rea;lly hard, AI just messes up the battles, completely ignores me and I am forced to run around (I am the general in all battles) trying to save the day. Ive only played around 10 turns and lost two, nearly three family members already.
I didn't realise that the Gauls could set up traps for me, i'm going to have to tell you all about it.

Gaulish skirmishers moved infront of their lines and opened fire on my infantry so I charged them with my unit. They ran across their lines and slightly towards my infantry so I carried on charging but then their infantry took advantage of the fact that you cannot charge diagonally you have to go down then across and intercepted my cav, half of them perished before i could retreat, amazing.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
10-07-2007, 21:31
Hello mrdun,

Do you have unit sizes on large/ huge, is it something do do with if you have a crap comp then the game will try to reduce numbers so you have a "better" battle. I presume that you know if this is true or not being a veteran with rtw.It has nothing to do with computer power or strength - it's only effected by a function in "preferences.txt". Do bear in mind though, when changing this function, than the R:TW engine itself is negatively effected by large numbers of troops, regardless of the computer's specifications.

You can change the setting by entering either:
"C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\preferences\preferences.txt"
should you have Gold or:
"C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\preferences\preferences.txt"
should you have a standard version (not Gold).

Once the file is opened, you should see a list of functions. Scroll down until you find the entry "UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD: FALSE".

Change this entry to "UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD: TRUE".

Doing this should prevent units from having to wait their turn to fight if there are too many men on the battlefield for the game's liking. I'm not quite sure if this will completely stop reinforcement delays though, so don't consider yourself sure until another player has confirmed it.

Hope this helps you guys, good luck, cheers!

BTW, I've not yet tried doing this, although it sounds worth a go. Of course, as always, the AI will mess-up, mrdun proves this, but perhaps cleaning up after it could add to the challenge. If I ever find the courage to load up R:TW again, I may consider giving it an attempt.