PDA

View Full Version : Praise to divide & conquer and a question

EoE
11-03-2007, 19:06
Just a bit of fan enthusiasm: Is there anything as great as fighting wars by proxy? In my Roman campaign I'm playing the waiting game until the Marian reforms. So to keep the Sweboz and the Ptolemeians on their toes I pour 30,000 Minai in the coffers of their enemies each turn. It works wonders. And everybody is so busy killing each other that they leave the peaceful Romans alone. :2thumbsup:

And now to my question: What happened to "This year in history"? It's 180 BC in my game now and it's been quite some time since I saw that. A shame really.

cheers/EoE

Landwalker
11-03-2007, 19:23
Just a bit of fan enthusiasm: Is there anything as great as fighting wars by proxy? In my Roman campaign I'm playing the waiting game until the Marian reforms. So to keep the Sweboz and the Ptolemeians on their toes I pour 30,000 Minai in the coffers of their enemies each turn. It works wonders. And everybody is so busy killing each other that they leave the peaceful Romans alone. :2thumbsup:

And now to my question: What happened to "This year in history"? It's 180 BC in my game now and it's been quite some time since I saw that. A shame really.

cheers/EoE

Geez, you much be making a killing in the economy.

If I remember correctly, it's mentioned elsewhere that the Year in History events stop in the 210s BC--due to time constraints and the obvious substantial work involved, the team hasn't gotten around to extending them.

Cheers.

EoE
11-03-2007, 19:34
Geez, you much be making a killing in the economy.

Yeah, well. I expanded slowly and I have a small military. My legions consist of 3 x velites, 3 x hastati, 3 x princeps, 3 x triarii, 2 x pedites extraordinarii and whatever auxiliary cavalry I can pick up. And I only have 3 legions. One is split between Spain, Gaul Cisalpina and Rome. Another one is stationed in Greece, and the last one ferries back and forth from Lepki to beat back the Ptolemeians. So there's plenty of money to go around.

If I remember correctly, it's mentioned elsewhere that the Year in History events stop in the 210s BC--due to time constraints and the obvious substantial work involved, the team hasn't gotten around to extending them.

Cheers.

Thanks a lot! I suspected that but wondered that it might just be a bug in my installation.

rgds/EoE

cmacq
11-03-2007, 19:44
the peaceful Romans

my Romans are the peace-loving peoples of Italy.

Megas Methuselah
11-03-2007, 20:38
the peaceful Romans

My Romans are dead. I made sure of it.
:leer:

EDIT: At least, they were in my long-time-ago-in-a-galaxy-far-away 0.81 EB. But as of now, I've been playing the same Baktrian campaign since 1.0 came out, and the Romans are barely scraping by... I never did think of giving them money, but thx for mentioning it. I will now, and they might just win their war against the hated Kart-Hadast.

Long lost Caesar
11-03-2007, 21:21
hmmm is it worth giving enemies-enemies cash....well i spose the enemy of my enemy is my friend!

NeoSpartan
11-03-2007, 21:52
I wish I had the $$ to do this. I can barely get past 10k a turn as the Aedui :laugh4: oh and Rome is :skull: . Thats what the get for messing with GAUL!

Pharnakes
11-04-2007, 01:30
My Romans are dead. I made sure of it.
:leer:

EDIT: At least, they were in my long-time-ago-in-a-galaxy-far-away 0.81 EB. But as of now, I've been playing the same Baktrian campaign since 1.0 came out, and the Romans are barely scraping by... I never did think of giving them money, but thx for mentioning it. I will now, and they might just win their war against the hated Kart-Hadast.

Umm, who don't you hate then?

CaesarAugustus
11-04-2007, 02:22
How friggin' rich are you EoE?!?:dizzy2: Do you mind posting a screenie of your financial menu screen?

EoE
11-04-2007, 11:55
How friggin' rich are you EoE?!?:dizzy2: Do you mind posting a screenie of your financial menu screen?

I'll see if I remember taking a screenie, when I play again.

IIRC there's about 1.2 million Minai in the treasury at the moment. I consider those my savings for the upcoming campaign to capture all of Asia minor. And my reserve when the Sweboz eventually backstab me.

Apart from the 3 legions, I got 8 cohortes of Celtic swordsmen at the disposal of my client king in Tolosa, various auxilliaries to keep the people happy in Spain and Africa and a large mercenary army on Salamis to raid the Ptolemaic coastline in Cilica and Syria.

On top of that there's 4 fleets: One in Rome to scuttle troops back and forth from Spain and Africa. One in Taras to connect with Greece. One in Rhodos to keep the Agean clear and one in Salamis to raid the coast.

All that is paid by Italy, Tolosa, Spain, Greece and the north African coast stretching to Lepki in the east.

Another reason for the large treasury is also that I haven't fought any major wars for 20 years or so.

rgds/EoE

Digby Tatham Warter
11-04-2007, 13:38
Rome is so easy to play when it comes to money, They seem to grow it.

What I would like to know is, does it indeed work well if you give another faction money. The last time I tried it(can't remember who) I gave large amounts of cash(200,000, I think) away to support a faction that was being bullied by a faction I didn't like, but I didn't see any change in the situation.

EoE
11-04-2007, 14:09
Rome is so easy to play when it comes to money, They seem to grow it.

What I would like to know is, does it indeed work well if you give another faction money. The last time I tried it(can't remember who) I gave large amounts of cash(200,000, I think) away to support a faction that was being bullied by a faction I didn't like, but I didn't see any change in the situation.

I'm quite sure it works. The Aedui and the Macedonians would have been wiped out long ago without the financial support I give them.

rgds/EoE

EoE
11-04-2007, 18:54
https://img413.imageshack.us/img413/6080/ebqf3.jpg

CaesarAugustus
11-04-2007, 19:36
Oooh look at those sweboz. ouch. I dont envy you, rich or not.