PDA

View Full Version : rtw barbarian or Alexander

sjmxru
11-12-2007, 17:08
when it comes to rtw expansions which one should i go for ? barbarian or Alexander?

Barbarian looks like u get more for your money

p.s.
my p.c runs rtw but gets slow on huge battles

Mouzafphaerre
11-12-2007, 17:24
BI is a fine game. It really refreshes the RTW experience and many people prefer it for running mods made for the vanilla. (I may jump that bandwagon too, because the AI disembark bug in RTW pisses me off.) But then, some people think that Alex has a better balanced and less stupid AI. Beware though; it introduces new bugs rather than fixing the existing ones, but which Total War title doesn't? :laugh4:

I would search the bargain bins, preferably online, where both might be acquired with the price of one. I do recommend BI because I played and enjoyed it, but about Alex I only transmit the rumours. :shrug:

PS: This belongs to the Colosseum. ~;)

econ21
11-12-2007, 19:25
I would second Mouzafphaerre's opinion. You do get more for your money with BI - it is almost like a new TW game rather than an expansion. The map is big, there are many factions and they are varied. You have a lot of freedom and possibilities. In Alex, you are just the Macedonians and you just have to conquer the map in 100 turns. For me it does not have the big sandbox appeal of most TW games.

I also found Alex performed worse on my computer (more lag) and the combat often seemed too frenetic and easy (phalanx + companions vs lightly armed Persians = insta-rout). By contrast, in BI, the hordes start off with substantial multiple stacks, often of scarey horse archers while the more "civilised" powers (Romans + Sassanids) are pretty strong. The sedentary barbarians face more of an uphill climb. I disliked the fact that Alexander has to rush and exterminate to win; turtling as the WRE and trying not to be exterminated suited my temperament more.

If you do get BI, look out for Goth's all factions mod and for IBFD - both use very nice re-skinned units (those in BI are rather dayglo in colour) and more "realistic" combat.

sjmxru
11-13-2007, 09:56
:grin: thanks guys thats useful in makin a descision & as i thought BI seems to give more 'play' time:knight: (gettin a little bored of RTW now.:end:

i see on play.com u can pick up BI for £8

thanks again

Rus

p.s :stupid: sorry for postin in wrong area previously, dont use the forum very often:oops:

Shieldmaiden
11-13-2007, 13:27
There's a "Rome Anthology" available in the UK too for £15 (RTW + BI and Alexander) Only from GAME though, which is irritating.

sjmxru
11-13-2007, 18:20
ordered BI on play.com for £8 after seeing posts for it this morning (it should turn up in time for my birthday!:pimp: )

sjmxru
11-15-2007, 18:07
had a look on games web site couldnt find the Anthology exactly but they had this http://www.game.co.uk/PC/Strategy/Combat/~r328495/Total-War-Eras-Collection/

Shieldmaiden
11-16-2007, 18:15
Hmm, its vanished yep, maybe it was limited time only :dizzy2:

But :happybirthday3: sjmxru!

May your barbarian hordes loot the Romans and feast on their cake! :viking:

sjmxru
11-19-2007, 11:41
thanks - just getting into the game now, playing the franks, taken a few roman provinces including Arles but i rushed down to take it & left my self vunerable for a while but i've taken the city to the right now which helps, sacked the one to the right of that too (but decided to asset strip it & try to give it away but none of my allies will take it. took a few provinces to the west as well:knight:

early days i'm still pickin it up

started a roman campaign last night but cut it short is it looked a bit dawnting all those sad towns! religion1 whats that all about:no: