PDA

View Full Version : Several first-time player questions.

Xander77
11-23-2007, 12:34
Quite a bunch of them, really. I've read through some of the forum archives, but they occasionally created more questions than they answered.

1. Am I expanding too fast? It's 240 BC, and I (Julii, no mods, M/M) have 25 provinces and plan to gain 5-10 more within 10 turns.
I have annihilated the Gauls, Germany has one province left (which I would keep as a border against Dacia, but they're unwilling to become a protectorate and probably wouldn't be much good at this stage anyway. Carthago is left with one eastern province. I'm planning to destroy both with a turn or two.

(or whenever I can leave Carthago and the city below it, without starting a riot. Damn mutinous bastards. I need the second city to rebel anyway - I bought it off the Scipii, because it was their only hold in Africa... and the Senate turned right around and missioned me to give it back. But I can't have them rebelling before Cartahgo est delenda)

I'm landing troops in Spain to punish them for their betrayal of our allieance. (my fault, really. I've taken the Cartahgenean and Gaul cities from under their noses, and have tromped all over their lands to do so). I'm also planning to grab the three provinces the Numidians have to secure Africa, (maybe leave one as a border for the Egyptians) and possibly throw the Brittons out of the continent - once their gifted leader hanging out near my German settlements has tripped down some stairs, his army buggered off to conquer Ireland or something. So now they have 4 wooden-wall towns with 2-4 units garisoning each. I just can't resist snapping them up.

So... I should have +/- 35 provinces within a few turns (unless the Brittons bring up an entire army of chariots down on my head, and/or the Spanish prove a stiffer resistance than anticipated. Unlikely, because I've killed their king and his troops with 4 town watch and 2 equites. No general, either. And my captain didn't even make it to man of the hour!). My Senate popularity is 8, but that may plummet once my faction leader dies. My popularity witht the people is 6, and that should rise when I conquer stuff.

However, I'm totally unprepared for war with the other Romans. Turns out that their measly combined 10 provinces can field as many troops as I currently have - for each faction. :dizzy2:

So... I'm not sure whether I should stop my conquering (which probably just means that I'lll have a war on several fronts latter), pump some money into the Macedonians (they're facing the Brutii in Greece, and are slugging it out quite well. The Greeks are no longer a factor. The Scipii are confined to Sicilia and the boot). Maybe be prepared to block all the Sicilia ports (or destroy them with an assassin) and hope the Macedonians keep the Brutii occupied while I conquer Italy and then take on the factions one at a time?

2. Are there ANY mods that improve diplomacy/battle AI? Yes, I know its mostly hard-coded, but this is getting very annoying. I would love to leave the numidians alone (even though the current Corduba governor is a former Numidian general who is getting quite homesick. Keeps muttering about barbarian malcontents and foul smelling local girls. Not at all like the friendly folks back home.) - They've helped my navies out quite a few times, but I know they're just going to backstab me. I would also love to negotiate something with the Spaniards - maybe give them Corduba and be glad I got rid of it. But they're unwilling to accept anything, even though it's totally obvious that I'm going to kick their ass. Very annoying.

I've tried Darth Mod, but it only made the AI stupider, unwilling to do much when faced with losing the formation. Like, I don't know... charge my town watch and equites when they're getting ready to surround and annihilate their king.

3. Does giving occasional 100 denari giftd to your allies improve relations, or mess them up? I've encountered some contradictory info, and I'm not inclined to trust the diplomacy guide - seeing how one of the first things it says is that a diplomats talents incerease whether his offer is accepted or refused.

4. If a stack containing several generals seperates, surround an enemy, and all the generals enter the battle as seperate reinforcements leading their own armies - does it or does it not mean that each general has a chance of getting the various "won the battle" traits?

5. Is there some way to counter chariots/HA besides "mob them / return in kind"? I've been able to develop a counter to everything up to and including elephants that doesn't realy on numerical advantage and/or slugging it out, but I can't seem to do anything else with the above. Is there a general unit guide of some sort that does more than just copy info from the game text? Hints on how to use and counter certain units?

6. I know that assassinating fellow romans does not disturb the senate... but will my "allies" take it as an insult if I start pruning their family tree?

7. I understand Rome: Gold Edition, comes pre-patched with patch 1.5. What does patch 1.6 do, what does the Bug-Fixer mod do, and are they compatible?

8. Can bribed enemy generals have children?

Omanes Alexandrapolites
11-23-2007, 14:06
Welcome to the .Org Xander77!

Am I expanding too fast?Not really. Rome: Total War is a relatively easy game, so even the largest of empires shouldn't be too hard to defend and manage against external threats. On the other hand though, internal threats (rebellions) may be much more of a problem. Generally though, if you maintain a strong frontier on all vulnerable sides, and ensure the rebellious peasants are kept as satisfied as possible, you should be fine.

Illogically expanding too much, beyond about thirty-five provinces, does upset the senate. This, and failing to obey senate missions, is peculiarly the only thing which does hit your senate popularity rather hard.

If your senate popularity drops too low this may result in missions which come with penalties. If it drops even lower a demand for the suicide of your faction leader will be issued. Refuse and civil war breaks out, while acceptance kills your faction leader off giving you a few years of peace before they ask you again. If missions with penalties occur, you may want build up forces on the borders, or even over the borders, with the other Romans - often they remain on the side of the senate during civil wars provoked in this way.

You can read more about the mechanics of civil wars here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1697249#post1697249).
2. Are there ANY mods that improve diplomacy/battle AI?Beyond Darth's Formations, included in Darth mod, there isn't much you can do without breaking a multitude of laws. I have heard something about Shinut's Formations, but they use the same tactics as Darth Mod, so probably are no better.
Does giving occasional 100 denari giftd to your allies improve relations, or mess them up?From my experiences giving the AI money frequently, as in a a small regular tribute rather than many one off tributes, does sometimes prevent them from attacking you. Also, every now and then, they may choose to pay it back, reducing the overall expense.
If a stack containing several generals seperates, surround an enemy, and all the generals enter the battle as seperate reinforcements leading their own armies - does it or does it not mean that each general has a chance of getting the various "won the battle" traits? Sadly no.
5. Is there some way to counter chariots/HA besides "mob them / return in kind"?Spearmen can be effective, especially in phalanx formation. Unfortunately, for Romans, phalanx units can only be recruited as a mercenary in and around the Greek sphere of influence.
6. I know that assassinating fellow Romans does not disturb the senate...This depends upon if you have yet had the "chance for power" message. If you do, then assassinations can result in the start of the civil war. If not, then nothing really happens beyond the family members death.
...but will my "allies" take it as an insult if I start pruning their family tree?Yes they do - allies may become neutral if they find out who really was behind the death of their family members.
What does patch 1.6 doPatch 1.6 is for BI only. It patches R:TW up to v1.5 and BI up to v1.6. This patch won't work if you lack BI. Likewise, the 1.5 patch won't work correctly should you have BI.

For more details on the patching process, please see this post (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1661948#post1661948).
what does the Bug-Fixer mod do, and are they compatible?The unofficial Bugfixer patch is compatible with both R:TW v1.5 and BI v1.6. You can read more about what it does to the game here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=55464).
Can bribed enemy generals have children?It depends upon the patch. In 1.0 and 1.1 it was possible. In 1.2 a bug was introduced which prevented it. This bug was never fixed, so the problem still exists in v1.5 and v1.6.

Good luck with your game!

Xander77
11-23-2007, 15:21
If your senate popularity drops too low this may result in missions which come with penalties. If it drops even lower a demand for the suicide of your faction leader will be issued. Refuse and civil war breaks out, while acceptance kills your faction leader off giving you a few years of peace before they ask you again. If missions with penalties occur, you may want build up forces on the borders, or even over the borders, with the other Romans - often they remain on the side of the senate during civil wars provoked in this way.
That much I gathered from reading the forums. However, 35 provinces as a hard limit at which point senate popularity starts dropping is a useful advice. I'll get to 35, securing my borders (hopefully by sharing borders only with myself except for a few fronts) then start getting my resources together for the civil war.

Charge
11-23-2007, 15:44
1. I can add that rushing is completely disinterest. Civil war you say, I've played it around 70 bc and it was stunning war, not this shit in the beginning.

2. hmm. I didn't play darthmod, so can't say is better/worse in that aspect than other mods (EB, RTR, RS).

3.AI will betray you anyway!

4. From my exp, reinforcement's generals don't get anything *(sadly)..

5. don't know. (for myself I found chariots rather annoying than dangerous);

6. I guess failed kill mission(dead assassin) will result an alliance broken or, if neutral, war will be declared. Succesful cutting their family tree don't affect relations, but who knows?

7. 1.6 is a patch for BI... BugFixer, described here https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=55464

8. they can have wifes -- so probably children too :) ...

Phoenix
11-23-2007, 16:31
Quite a bunch of them, really. I've read through some of the forum archives, but they occasionally created more questions than they answered.2. Are there ANY mods that improve diplomacy/battle AI? Yes, I know its mostly hard-coded, but this is getting very annoying. I would love to leave the numidians alone (even though the current Corduba governor is a former Numidian general who is getting quite homesick. Keeps muttering about barbarian malcontents and foul smelling local girls. Not at all like the friendly folks back home.) - They've helped my navies out quite a few times, but I know they're just going to backstab me. I would also love to negotiate something with the Spaniards - maybe give them Corduba and be glad I got rid of it. But they're unwilling to accept anything, even though it's totally obvious that I'm going to kick their ass. Very annoying.

I've tried Darth Mod, but it only made the AI stupider, unwilling to do much when faced with losing the formation. Like, I don't know... charge my town watch and equites when they're getting ready to surround and annihilate their king.You might want to try Sinuhet's Formation Mod, I haven't played it yet but I've heard good reviews. As far as diplomacy goes, the AI gets more aggressive as you conquer more provinces and I think that's completely hard-coded...you can get decent diplomacy if you stay under 15 or so provinces but afterwards you're guaranteed to be attacked by every neighboring faction unless you maintain large border armies. In my last Brutii game I did manage to get a quiet front with Egypt by maintaining several full stacks around Tarsus for about 30 turns until I attacked them and afterwards I remained at peace with Armenia and Parthia for the rest of the game by maintaining one full stack per border province. I was playing the campaign at Hard difficulty and had several similar experiences in BI campaigns so I don't think it was just luck, but I'm not sure if it will make the AI more reluctant to start a war by blockading one of your ports.
3. Does giving occasional 100 denari giftd to your allies improve relations, or mess them up? I've encountered some contradictory info, and I'm not inclined to trust the diplomacy guide - seeing how one of the first things it says is that a diplomats talents incerease whether his offer is accepted or refused.I think it does since your Senate rating increases if you gift some money to the Senate and I find it easier to get Military Access treaties after giving a few 10,000 denarii gifts. 100 denarii is too low though.
4. If a stack containing several generals seperates, surround an enemy, and all the generals enter the battle as seperate reinforcements leading their own armies - does it or does it not mean that each general has a chance of getting the various "won the battle" traits?Not if they're leadership traits.
5. Is there some way to counter chariots/HA besides "mob them / return in kind"? I've been able to develop a counter to everything up to and including elephants that doesn't realy on numerical advantage and/or slugging it out, but I can't seem to do anything else with the above. Is there a general unit guide of some sort that does more than just copy info from the game text? Hints on how to use and counter certain units?Fire arrows will cause Scythed Chariots to run amok, javelins will kill them quite easily since they have a bonus against them, slings work as well since they're accurate, and phalanxes kill them on contact. The most common tactic I use though is charge them with 2 or preferably 3 cavalry units at the same time...the weight of numbers bogs the chariots down preventing them from using their scythes too much and their low defense means that enough of them will be killed during the charge.
6. I know that assassinating fellow romans does not disturb the senate... but will my "allies" take it as an insult if I start pruning their family tree?They will if the assassin gets caught.
7. I understand Rome: Gold Edition, comes pre-patched with patch 1.5. What does patch 1.6 do, what does the Bug-Fixer mod do, and are they compatible?patch 1.6 is to BI what 1.5 is to RTW, the AI engines are slightly different though as the 1.6 AI is far better than the 1.5 AI when it comes to naval invasions. There's a way to play RTW with the BI engine but I don't know how. Bug-Fixer corrects the bugs that were left in RTW and BI that could be fixed.

fallen851
11-23-2007, 16:45
Honestly, you ought to think about trying out Europa Barbarorum. It is the game RTW should have been. Hundreds more units, more faction diversity, far more realistic, much bigger map, much more challenging, and many many cool features that I could go on about forever.

https://www.europabarbarorum.com/

Check out the gallery.

Xander77
11-23-2007, 16:50
I think it does since your Senate rating increases if you gift some money to the Senate and I find it easier to get Military Access treaties after giving a few 10,000 denarii gifts. 100 denarii is too low though.Would 500 be decent?

Not if they're leadership traits.Unfortunate. So, only the general that initiated the battle gets command stars/etc?

Thanks. For HA's, the best I could find was a combo of nailing them with archers and charging them with two units of equivalent class cavalry. Still mobbing, but...

Xander77
11-23-2007, 16:57
Honestly, you ought to think about trying out Europa Barbarorum. It is the game RTW should have been. Hundreds more units, more faction diversity, far more realistic, much bigger map, much more challenging, and many many cool features that I could go on about forever.

https://www.europabarbarorum.com/

Check out the gallery.Once I'm done conquering the world in this campaign, I will try Egypt with a twist - once I secure the main big money cities, I will try to send a bunch of diplomat + spy + assassin team across Europe. They will bribe any decent young generals that come their way, and said generals will hire mercenaries and take the nearest poorly defended town. Instead of an all out steam-roller offense from one or two directions, I will direct a dozen barely feasible assaults all over the map.

Xander77
11-23-2007, 16:59
Hmm. I can't edit my post. I meant to add that I will try a Britton campaign with EB after that, and maybe a campaign for someone else (Pontus? Secluids?) with Rome - Total Realism after that.

Care to reccomend other mods? How does EB compare to RTR?

Phoenix
11-23-2007, 17:38
Would 500 be decent?Depends on what you want. It should be enough to make them happier but you won't be getting a Military Access treaty.
Unfortunate. So, only the general that initiated the battle gets command stars/etc?

Thanks. For HA's, the best I could find was a combo of nailing them with archers and charging them with two units of equivalent class cavalry. Still mobbing, but...I forgot about the HAs before. In my BI games playing as the WRE, Saxons, and Franks I would raise special anti-horde armies that consisted of 8 infantry, 8 archer, and 4 cavalry units. Guess it's mobbing, but it's about the only thing I can think of that works if the HA are supported by heavy cavalry. If you have access to slingers, particularly Balearics and Rhodians, they'll kill the HA quicker due to their greater accuracy and the HA's Cantabrian Circle won't help them but you have to cope with their lesser range, especially in the case of the normal ones.

mrdun
11-23-2007, 19:47
Once I'm done conquering the world in this campaign, I will try Egypt with a twist - once I secure the main big money cities, I will try to send a bunch of diplomat + spy + assassin team across Europe. They will bribe any decent young generals that come their way, and said generals will hire mercenaries and take the nearest poorly defended town. Instead of an all out steam-roller offense from one or two directions, I will direct a dozen barely feasible assaults all over the map.

Be careful of revolts, the further you are away from your capital the more unrest there will be.

Xander77
11-23-2007, 21:47
Be careful of revolts, the further you are away from your capital the more unrest there will be.Granted. But I won't really need the taxes german small towns with a population of 400... and in the worst case scenario I'll just destroy every building (more income, more bribes and mercs) and move along to the next town...

Xander77
11-23-2007, 22:55
More questions:

Is there a way to influence who's named Faction Heir once the Faction Leader dies? The last time around a 50 year old guy was chosen. He has some talent, but I really don't want to have a different faction heir every 10-20 years. Neither do I want do give someone the "disinherited" trait merely because the computer has some stupid ideas.

Is there some way to target attack dogs directly? So far I've only ad some success when I've moved troops directly into the dogs - at which point they noticed that they're waste deep in teeth, and started fighting. Everything else I try ends with the troops attempting to attack the handlers.

I'm trying to play with the "give_trait" command. If the characters first name is unique, RomeShell locates him without any problems. However... the Julii, for example, seem to be inordinately fond of "Quintus" as a name for their male offsprings. I have Quinutus's (Quinti?) in my family right now. Supposing a try to give Quintus Philo a trait... Rome Shell simply can't find him. Whether I try writing his name like:
Quintus Philo
Quintus_Philo
quintus_philo

... Nothing seems to work.

BTW, thought I'd share a minor, but useful trick for sallying out when the beseiging enemy has wardogs. I've sent a nearly depleted Equite unit in front of the enemy line, and the enemy unleashed 3 units of wardogs at it. :sweatdrop: . The Equites raised back to the side gate, and the doors slammed in front of the dogs snouts. Though the towers did not massacre the doggies as I thought they might, the dogs kept trying to chow the gates open - remaining focused on the single equite unit siting in front of the gates, allowing the rest of the army to sally forth unmolested.

paul_kiss
11-23-2007, 23:34
Is there some way to target attack dogs directly? So far I've only ad some success when I've moved troops directly into the dogs - at which point they noticed that they're waste deep in teeth, and started fighting. Everything else I try ends with the troops attempting to attack the handlers.That's just the behaviour of the AI, I think. I suppose there's nothing one can do about it.

paul_kiss
11-23-2007, 23:37
Is there a way to influence who's named Faction Heir once the Faction Leader dies?Well, in fact there's not the way of influence, there's the option that allows you to chose a person who's to be the leader after the present king dies. The thing you need to go to is the Family Tree.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
11-23-2007, 23:54
Is there a way to influence who's named Faction Heir once the Faction Leader dies?Sadly one cannot manipulate the computer's choices. Fortunately though, there are two options to change the soon to be leader - you can either use the conventional method, through the family tree scroll, but, like you said this provides the disinherited trait. Alternativly, you can send your existing faction heir on a suicidal mission into enemy lands/enemy infested waters and hope the fairly random selection picks somebody decent.

Truthfully though, in general terms, R:TW faction leaders have no effect on your empire overall, so who gets the job next isn't really anything that needs careful planning. I generally do try to make my faction heir a popular or heroic general, but this is just for realism and immersion purposes rather than for tactical reasons.

Xander77
11-24-2007, 02:04
Truthfully though, in general terms, R:TW faction leaders have no effect on your empire overall, so who gets the job next isn't really anything that needs careful planning. I generally do try to make my faction heir a popular or heroic general, but this is just for realism and immersion purposes rather than for tactical reasons.I'm not sure if that is the case. Obviously, the faction leader for the AI is usually the best traited character in that faction - but that may be cause rather than the effect. There's a bunch of traits that only affect Faction Leaders - ordering bribes, assassinations, spies... all of which are fairly useful, and some of them help your Senate standing, for example.

The main problem the computers choice may present (besides giving the heir status to the old and impotent) is the possible conflict between you ususally putting the faction leader in a city / the battlefield, and the AI choosing a general / administrator for the job.

Any ideas on how to give Rome Shell proper character names?

Omanes Alexandrapolites
11-24-2007, 09:50
Sorry about my lack of clarity, but I meant your leader's effect on the Empire overall - ones faction leader's traits and abilities don't have any effect beyond where he is standing and what he is currently doing. Quite simply, he's a normal general with the trait "Faction Leader" stuck to him. It was a shame that this feature was removed in the transit between M:TW and R:TW since it most certainly made family affairs seem more integrated.

As you have said though, the trait "Faction Leader" itself, is rather useful to its holder, and additional traits can be gained by performing certain actions around your empire as a whole.

Xander77
11-24-2007, 11:29
Sorry about my lack of clarity,
Ditto. I was trying to say that traits like "plain honest roman" or "deceiver" or whatever tend to stick to the faction leader, and those help your senate/people standing, which IS important for the entire empire.

Though granted, these traits stick to the faction leader regardless of previous competence or lack thereoff.

Xander77
12-02-2007, 10:31
Sorry res (heal critical wounds?) the thread...

I've noticed people talking about their general being low on health at some point in the battle, or noticing that their archers are running low on arrows.... I can't find a way to keep track of things like generals health, or archers ammo... ?

Omanes Alexandrapolites
12-02-2007, 11:55
I've noticed people talking about their general being low on health at some point in the battle, or noticing that their archers are running low on arrows.... I can't find a way to keep track of things like generals health, or archers ammo... ?Archer's Amo can be monitored using the blue bar at the bottom of their unit card:

https://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb89/Omanes/Screenshots/ArcherAmmoDemonstration.jpg

As far as I know, general's health and number of hit points cannot be monitored during battles. You can look at his traits prior to the battle though, and use them to work out his overall hit point levels (two is the base number of hitpoints, while certain traits add or subtract from the number).

~:)

Xander77
12-02-2007, 13:38
Is there some option in the video or game options that turns the blue bars off? I'm fairly certain I don't see any on my archers.

Shieldmaiden
12-02-2007, 16:38
Is there some option in the video or game options that turns the blue bars off? I'm fairly certain I don't see any on my archers.

Do you have "Arcade Mode" (includes unlimited ammo) on?

Xander77
12-02-2007, 17:45
I'm kinda stupid, but I'm not THAT bloody stupid. If my archers and skirmishers never ran out of ammo, I wouldn't have to how much ammo they have left, aye?

Omanes Alexandrapolites
12-02-2007, 20:00
There are two possible things which may be causing your problem. Both of these involve limited ammo being disabled in one way or another - I understand that you are sure that limited ammunition is enabled, but this is the only reason I can think of:

Either Arcade Battle Mode is on, which results in ammunition not being a problem, or the Limited Ammo function is turned off in "preferences.txt".

First thing to check is if Arcade Battle Mode is on or off.

Firstly, load up your campaign, and press the "Esc" key.

Select "Game Options". Once there, ensure that "Arcade Battles" is unchecked. If not uncheck it.

In the future, ensure that the "Arcade Battles" tick box is unchecked on the campaign start screen, and the battle start screen.

If "Arcade Battles" was unchecked, or this doesn't resolve the problem, then follow the following instructions:

If you have any version of Windows Vista, ensure that UAC (User Account Control) is switched off. If not, follow these instructions (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1752077#post1752077).

Next navigate to your R:TW "preferences.txt" file. You can find this by default in either:
"C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\preferences\preferences.txt"
should you have the Gold Edition, or:
"C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\preferences\preferences.txt"
should you have the standard edition, not Gold.

If your game was published by an publisher other than Activision or SEGA, or you installed the game into a different directory that default, you may have to search to find the relevant area.

Once you are into the file, change the line stating:
"LIMITED_AMMO: FALSE" to
"LIMITED_AMMO: TRUE"

Then, restart the game and see if your problem has been resolved. If not, then feel free to ask in this thread for further assistance.

Good luck Xander77 ~:)

Xander77
12-02-2007, 23:06
That's it. The preferences file has unlimited ammo, the campaign save files have limited ammo, and the game bases it's choices on the preferences file rather than the saves. Thanks.

Pharnakes
12-03-2007, 01:58
Hmm. I can't edit my post. I meant to add that I will try a Britton campaign with EB after that, and maybe a campaign for someone else (Pontus? Secluids?) with Rome - Total Realism after that.

Care to reccomend other mods? How does EB compare to RTR?

IMHO EB is the best. Simple as that. I really haven't got the time to explain why, it would take a year or so anyway.

Just a word of advice though, don't choose the Casse. They are one of the hardest EB factions, and deffinetly not suitable for a first timer. Choose the Qarthidastim, the Ptolemaoi, Arche Seleukidai or, dare I say it the Romanoi. All forgiving factions that allow a gentle entry into the mod, that show its incredible depth and diversity, whilst giving room for a few mistakes. Don't try a harder faction, no matter how good you are at RTW, you will just give up in disgust at the diffuculty, and likely abandon the whole mod, which is the greatest mistake you could make in your entire life. Ever. Even if you lived for a million years.

Hope to see you in the eb sub-fora soon. Balloon in advance :balloon2:, to be given back if you don't turn up. :tongue2:

Ohh, and I nearly forgot; activate the script!!!111elventeen!!1!

Whacker
12-03-2007, 06:18
Welcome to the org Xander77

Bit late to the party here, but I just wanted to add a quick tip regarding Chariots.

Never, ever fight them in the open. Siege them in a city, and then mob the streets with heavy infantry. Heavy infantry + tight streets = chariot soup w/relatively few losses.

Enjoy!

Xander77
12-03-2007, 13:25
IMHO
Ohh, and I nearly forgot; activate the script!!!111elventeen!!1!Some part of the EB installation?

Never, ever fight them in the open. Siege them in a city, and then mob the streets with heavy infantry. Heavy infantry + tight streets = chariot soup w/relatively few losses.Eh. Not a big fan of siege battles.

Recently had my general and two units of barbarian mercs take out a 2000 man army of warbands and chariots (mostly) while my reinforcements had a nice smoke on a high hill and made sure the stupid buggers only attacked the active part of the army 1-2 units at a time. The mercs served well for bogging down the chariots, and the cavalry mostly suffered casualties when trying to pursue broken chariots.

So they're mainly good for disrupting enemy formations/fear effect/arrows? A bit like more annoying HA really.

Another question: Units that have been "broken" yet remain on the battlefield and regain their senses. Do they eventually get their formal morale back, or do they spend the rest of the battle ready to flee at merest touch?

Pharnakes
12-03-2007, 16:07
Install eb, and you'll find out about the script. Unless you're completly blind. If you want to know now, when you click on a city you own in eb, the advisor will pop up and tell you to click "show me how" button. When you do so the script will be activated. Simple. Honestly, some people....

Another question: Units that have been "broken" yet remain on the battlefield and regain their senses. Do they eventually get their formal morale back, or do they spend the rest of the battle ready to flee at merest touch?

If you ask me vannila units reak at the mearsst touch anyway...

Though, broken units will eventulay regain full morale, AFAIK.

Doubt if you ever really have the time for that in vannila, though. IIRC battles last all of about 30seconds...

Sorry to be a jaded, cynical old eb player coming here and spoiling your inocence. :shame:

Xander77
12-03-2007, 16:32
Install eb, and you'll find out about the script. Unless you're completly blind. If you want to know now, when you click on a city you own in eb, the advisor will pop up and tell you to click "show me how" button. When you do so the script will be activated. Simple. Honestly, some people....
Umm... thanks. I'll make sure to get around to downloading EB and finding out what any other cryptic comments you careto share mean any moment now :yes: :yes: :yes:

Xander77
12-04-2007, 00:13
I've seen people post pics of the campaign map up close.... I know how to change the way I view the battle map, but that doesn't seem to work for the campaign map... so...?

Also, is there any "view" the way a settlement looks on the battle map when not in battle? I mean, yes, you so it once, go "huh" and then decide not to go through the loading times again... but is there some benefit to planning a battle or something of the sort?

Omanes Alexandrapolites
12-04-2007, 09:40
I've seen people post pics of the campaign map up close.... I know how to change the way I view the battle map, but that doesn't seem to work for the campaign map... so...?One can usually zoom in on the campaign map using the mouse wheel. If one doesn't exist, the + (zoom in) and - (zoom out) keys typically replace it.

You can also zoom in on the mini-map in the bottom corner of the screen using the +/- buttons which are in its bottom right corner.
Also, is there any "view" the way a settlement looks on the battle map when not in battle?Yes, this in an option.

Firstly, double click on the settlement you wish to view. This will bring up the settlement's basic details.

Select the "View Settlement Details" button. Its usually the third one down on the far left hand side of the scroll.

Then, on the far left hand side of that scroll, select "View Settlement on Battlemap" - this is the top button.

Then the game should zoom down onto the battlemap and show you the settlement in peacetime - people wandering around going about their daily business e.t.c.

To return to the campaign map, press the "Esc" key, and select the relevant option.

Bear in mind that every city of the same size, and of the same culture, is exactly the same. For example, should you see one Roman Huge City, all other Roman Huge Cities are exactly the same.

~:)

Xander77
12-04-2007, 13:36
Also, is there any "view" the way a settlement looks There's supposed to be "reason to" before the "view". I really miss the edit button.

Shieldmaiden
12-04-2007, 20:32
There's supposed to be "reason to" before the "view". I really miss the edit button.

I can't think of a use - apart from previewing where to put troops in a siege?

Pharnakes
12-05-2007, 19:17
It really is pointless though, cause you can just do that before the batle starts.

sjmxru
12-06-2007, 09:41
its just a novelty feature surely for those who want to see how their citys developed:idea2: