PDA

View Full Version : Accessing old desktops through newer laptops.

CrossLOPER
11-23-2007, 18:20
I have two old, but not too old (1993(?) and 1997) desktops that work OK, except for the fact that a monitor pin broke off the monitor plugs and no I can't input into the machines with a keyboard, although I can click around. I've found that I could connect one of them to a television set and view it from there, but this is inconvenient and I cannot do this with the other one as it lacks the proper cable port.

I've had the idea of somehow connecting both (one at a time, preferably) to my laptop so that I can manipulate them and bring them back into use, if only for hands-on computer hardware education purposes.

Anyone have any idea how to do this? I'll provide any info I can.

Ramses II CP
11-24-2007, 05:23
Err, no keyboard? I'm afraid I don't understand. :inquisitive:

I'll presume these are Windows machines, and judging from the dates they're Win95 or 3.1. It won't be easy to manage, but you could certainly access the '95 machine, assuming it has an ethernet card, and transfer files between the boxes. I just threw out my last '95 box a few months ago after snagging the few meaningful files.

The trouble you're going to run into is that hardware (and software) from so long ago are of very low utility now. As I said, I chucked my last '95 machine, not a single component worth salvaging. If they're just being used as educational examples of hardware I'd say don't bother booting them up, strip them down and put them back together at will.

If you're thinking to use them for some actual computing... You'll probably want to ditch Windows and move to one of the light load Linux flavors, but even so it won't be easy to get them to handle any modern software of substance. Good luck.

:egypt:

Evil_Maniac From Mars
11-24-2007, 05:41
CrossLOPER,

Your sig is awesome.

~:)

CrossLOPER
11-24-2007, 16:15
CrossLOPER,

Your sig is awesome.

~:)
Thank you. :beam:

Err, no keyboard? I'm afraid I don't understand. :inquisitive:
I have not booted either machine in well over a year, but let me try to remember.

The monitor plug pin which broke off (ironically the same one on both machines) apparently provided some sort of vital connection to the rest of the machine. So i can type away, but I will not see the result. I can, apparently, still see the results of moving the mouse.

You must be thinking: why don't I just use another PC monitor? Well, guess where the brass pins broke off. Actually, if you can tell me how to fix this for cheap, I will be more than pleased.

'll presume these are Windows machines, and judging from the dates they're Win95 or 3.1. It won't be easy to manage, but you could certainly access the '95 machine, assuming it has an ethernet card, and transfer files between the boxes. I just threw out my last '95 box a few months ago after snagging the few meaningful files.
The older is 3.1. The "newer" one is 98. I THINK it has an Ethernet card an port. I'll pull it out soon enough. It's buried under ancient hardware.

The trouble you're going to run into is that hardware (and software) from so long ago are of very low utility now. As I said, I chucked my last '95 machine, not a single component worth salvaging. If they're just being used as educational examples of hardware I'd say don't bother booting them up, strip them down and put them back together at will.
I am interested in using the older interfaces as well as DOS. As I said, I booted the 98 machine a year or so ago and really enjoyed using the interface and using several old programs without a DOS shell or spending hours configuring a setting and being too exhausted to use it in the end.

If you're thinking to use them for some actual computing... You'll probably want to ditch Windows and move to one of the light load Linux flavors, but even so it won't be easy to get them to handle any modern software of substance. Good luck.

I'll keep looking for a way. I'm still open to suggestions. I may be able to get a hold of an older laptop. Perhaps that would help.

Ramses II CP
11-25-2007, 15:40
It won't be easy to get into the 3.1 machine, especially if it doesn't have an ethernet card, but it's possible. Some of those old desktops have an infrared port, which a lot of modern laptops have as well. Something to look for at least.

I don't know how damage to the monitor plug could prevent the keyboard from working, but I think the first step I'd take in that situation is to open up the case and reseat everything just in case. Most PCs won't boot up without a keyboard detected unless they've been set up specifically to allow it. Were these machines used for some kind of kiosk type service, with the keyboard locked out for security?

If that's the case you're going to have trouble accessing the bios to change the setting. The best way would be to find the bios reset jumper on your motherboard, but to do that you have to know the board's maker and find their website or a diagram of the motherboard (Or just be familiar with the mb type).

In any case, once you can type (Or have a compromise system you can live with, like copy/pasting from old documents) you can use a VNC based application like this (free) one:

http://www.tightvnc.com/

...to set up virtual control of your '98 machine. It's really easy to share files between '98 and XP so you can push the necessary software over to the '98 box, but to get VNC up and running without a keyboard is going to be tough. I've used TightVNC a few times, and it's functional but it's not exactly feature-iffic. Here's one with more features (And 3.1 support) but after a trial period it costs money, probably not what you're looking for:

http://www.netsupportmanager.com/downloads.asp

The 'key' will be getting the keyboards back working.

KukriKhan
11-25-2007, 16:35
Out of curiosity, which pin is broken on the VGA connector (count 1 thru 15, right-to-left, from the top (wide) end)?

If I understand correctly, the '98 machine you booted up does respond to keyboard commands (maybe; can you reboot using Ctrl+Alt+Del?), but characters are not displayed. Interesting.

Ramses II CP
11-25-2007, 17:35
Oh, and I just got it about where the pin is, inside the 'female' end on your PC. It's probably not in there too tight, try to grab it with some tweezers. Also if the monitor port is ruined anyway I'd start to get creative; try silly putty or squirt some WD40 in there and shake it around (If you can get the card out).

You can sometimes find old video cards just from people you know. Heck, I've got an old Voodoo2 card laying around somewhere that would probably work for you, but no way to get it to you.

CrossLOPER
11-26-2007, 01:13
Out of curiosity, which pin is broken on the VGA connector (count 1 thru 15, right-to-left, from the top (wide) end)?

If I understand correctly, the '98 machine you booted up does respond to keyboard commands (maybe; can you reboot using Ctrl+Alt+Del?), but characters are not displayed. Interesting.
Pin #9, Center row, 2nd from right if top is wide. This is on both machines.

Oh, and I just got it about where the pin is, inside the 'female' end on your PC. It's probably not in there too tight, try to grab it with some tweezers. Also if the monitor port is ruined anyway I'd start to get creative; try silly putty or squirt some WD40 in there and shake it around (If you can get the card out).

You can sometimes find old video cards just from people you know. Heck, I've got an old Voodoo2 card laying around somewhere that would probably work for you, but no way to get it to you.

I can't even see it in one of the computers and the other one that I do see can only be removed it I cut away at the plastic around it. That plastic was not affected at all the last time I tried to chisel away at it with a small steel razor.

Ramses II CP
11-26-2007, 17:37
Any further info on the keyboard problem? Your '98 machine probably has USB ports if you have a USB keyboard; that could bypass the problem if it's not a BIOS setting. Using VNC you can use your laptop keyboard to manage the '98 box, but that won't help you get to the BIOS as the machine has to be booted before VNC will run.

CrossLOPER
11-26-2007, 19:14
Any further info on the keyboard problem? Your '98 machine probably has USB ports if you have a USB keyboard; that could bypass the problem if it's not a BIOS setting. Using VNC you can use your laptop keyboard to manage the '98 box, but that won't help you get to the BIOS as the machine has to be booted before VNC will run.

Wow! This might actually be what I am looking for!

I'm not too worried about BIOS, but this will do for the time-being. Unfortunately, finals are but a few weeks away and I have a handful of projects I have to tend to. So I gotta get to work on that. But after December 13, I'm off!