PDA

View Full Version : Stele #3

Foot
11-26-2007, 18:56
A Europa Barbarorum Barebones.

The first step in creating EB on M2TW was to create a base platform from which to build. A solid foundation would ensure that EB II would sail far smoother than EB I had. I began with the Kingdoms Barebones mod and started by tearing out all code that wasn't necessary for the game to run. All units were ripped out from the export_descr_units.txt as were the code for the buildings (though I had to keep the building complexes in as the settlement files still fed off them). descr_strat and campaign_script were likewise butchered. From this far more limited position I felt I could begin the great task of the day, the creation of our own internal names for elements such as factions, cultures, religions, regions and settlements. One of the problems in coding in EB I was that either the internal names did not match up to their external counter-parts (as in the case of factions) or they did, but these elements were in a constant state of flux and so their internal names were also constantly changing (such as provinces and settlements). It was decided that for those internal elements whose position had been decided, most notably factions, we would give suitable and memorable internal names (so now factions have the internal name of f_rome, f_carthage and the like - "f_" being a constant prefix so as to make the names easily findable in the code), whilst for elements such as regions and settlements we would use a consistent internal naming system that could be kept unchanged no matter the changes that would occur on the external side (so now regions have the name region_001 to region_199 and settlements have the name sett_001 to sett_199).

The largest area that has been worked upon so far has been the inclusion of the EB I map into the EBII Barebones campaign. This has not been scaled up as of yet, nor have the province changes so far finalised been added, but it is a huge step forward for the mod as we can begin to place campaign elements onto the map, slowly reaching our goal. That is my next step, the addition of campaign elements such as new strat map characters (based on EB I models) and new strat map settlements and ports (based on EBI models also).

As, of course, many of you will know, M2TW allows for 10 new factions, and EB II intends to take full advantage of this situation. Already some new factions have been implemented into the internal build, and menu and strat map image elements are being worked upon as we speak. No doubt we will release previews of these factions when work enough has been done, but until then be paitent - we promise it will be worth it.

Some screenshots from game:
https://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5066/stele31ym0.th.jpg (https://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stele31ym0.jpg) https://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6965/stele32ou2.th.jpg (https://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stele32ou2.jpg)
https://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8831/stele33mz5.th.jpg (https://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stele33mz5.jpg) https://img137.imageshack.us/img137/5782/stele34cp1.th.jpg (https://img137.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stele34cp1.jpg)

I shall return with further news soon.

Foot

Sarkiss
11-26-2007, 19:32
great info, thanks, Foot.
why hasnt it been stikied yet?

Christianus
11-26-2007, 19:32
Great news!

Dumbass
11-26-2007, 20:11
Wow, that's bloody good progress, keep up the good work.

I Am Herenow
11-26-2007, 21:21
Great! Plus it's nice to see the Steles back too! :beam:

Jurdagat
11-26-2007, 22:06
I'm going nuts!

Luckely EB 1.0 is going to keep me busy for at least another year. :)

overweightninja
11-26-2007, 23:02
Nice one foot, it's great to see such tangible progress.
Time for a proper preview now isn't it? :laugh4:
(Just kidding!)

Cheers, great stuff.

Admetos
11-27-2007, 02:23
Wow, I only just noticed this, good to see that you're really starting on EB2 now. Great news! :2thumbsup:

Mouzafphaerre
11-27-2007, 02:55
These steles are also worthy tutorials on how to plan and work out a mod and you deserve extra thanks for it.

:bow: :bow:

Elminster12
11-27-2007, 04:39
Very interesting, and awesome to see some shots. I can't wait to see what you guys can do with the improved graphics engine and all the new stuff.

kambiz
11-27-2007, 12:39
Thanks Foot. It seems you have successfully managed to export the Map. Good luck in fulfilling the rest of your objectives :smiley:

[EB]Demulon
11-27-2007, 19:53
Looking sweet, Foot. Keep up the good work and you will make this old man very proud.

I Am Herenow
11-27-2007, 21:24
Ooh, I just looked on totalwar.com and it turns out they're planning a patch (http://www.totalwar.com/index.html?page=/en/newsandpress/index.html&nav=/en/5/) for Kingdoms, so you guys might want to hold back on full-blown EBII production until it's out. Not that I'm trying to delay the release of EBII of course :beam:, but it might just save the team some time to start work when the next (and presumably last) Kingdoms patch has been released.

Redmeth
11-27-2007, 21:43
Ooh, I just looked on totalwar.com and it turns out they're planning a patch (http://www.totalwar.com/index.html?page=/en/newsandpress/index.html&nav=/en/5/) for Kingdoms, so you guys might want to hold back on full-blown EBII production until it's out. Not that I'm trying to delay the release of EBII of course :beam:, but it might just save the team some time to start work when the next (and presumably last) Kingdoms patch has been released.

That's good news indeed but by the time it comes around I don't think we'll be that ahead so that we'll need to go back on a lot of things.

I probably won't cause the same impact the 1.2 to 1.5 port caused and will only fix bugs and hopefully restore functionality to some commands and stuff like that.

kambiz
11-27-2007, 22:10
I just looked on totalwar.com and it turns out they're planning a patch for KingdomsAny possibility for increasing the number of weapons a soldier can carry from 2 to 3 or more??? This is what I'm really concern about

Mouzafphaerre
11-28-2007, 02:24
Patch announcement at the ORG

Bellum
11-28-2007, 06:19
Any possibility for increasing the number of weapons a soldier can carry from 2 to 3 or more??? This is what I'm really concern about

I'm sure that'd require more than a patch's worth of code changes.

And those mountains sure got tall! :clown:

azzbaz
11-28-2007, 07:25
i noticed that arretium and ariminum arent named on the maps, is that because they are being replaced by forts?

Foot
11-28-2007, 12:41
No its because I turned off settlement names.

Foot

Sarkiss
11-28-2007, 17:19
after what ive heard on MTWII AI it is a good news indeed.
fingers crossed theyll address all the issues and it wont take CA too long to release it.

Mouzafphaerre
11-28-2007, 17:35
Just the fact that they responded to huge fan demands and stepped back from their previous 'no patches' decision is good credit for them. But, given the performance of patches in previous games (2.01 for MTW-VI, 1.5/1.6 for RTW/BI) I wouldn't hold expectations too high.

delablake
11-29-2007, 09:10
:yes: I am happy to hear that! The high hopes for a revamped MTWII without that crappy UI and ugly campaign map with ludicrously designed diplomats etc. has kept me so far from throwing MTWII + Kingdoms out of the window for good...:sweatdrop: the only really cool thing about MTWII are the battles...and maybe EBII won't torture us anymore with long loading times...:inquisitive: apart from that imho EBI is still the best strategy game around...:2thumbsup:
Keep it up, boys!!!

iceman7291
11-30-2007, 01:32
OMG,OMG,OMFG Thanks for the pics man, more to come soon I hope.

Mister V
11-30-2007, 18:25
Awesome. I can't wait to see it on the optimized M2 engine. I really hope the models are revamped to M2 level.

JMRC
12-03-2007, 02:23
Awesome. I can't wait to see it on the optimized M2 engine. I really hope the models are revamped to M2 level.

Yes, they will be.

Geoffrey S
12-04-2007, 22:20
Will the EB team release an early version of EB2 using RTW EB models as placeholders, assuming that the line-up remains similar?

Foot
12-04-2007, 23:54
Converting RTW models to be compatible in MTW2 is, according to one of our modellers, just as time-consuming as creating a new one. So I don't think we will be doing that.

Foot

Hooahguy
12-06-2007, 18:21
im definitely buying M2TW just to play EBII!

Kepper
12-07-2007, 15:22
im definitely buying M2TW just to play EBII!
You most buy the MTW2 and Kingdoms because EB 2 is for Kingdoms

Hooahguy
12-07-2007, 19:21
oh....... well, ill get it anyhow! :2thumbsup:

soibean
12-08-2007, 01:44
EB 2 is the only reason that Im buying MTWII
thanks guys best of luck

Phoenician Soldier
12-11-2007, 11:06
Fills me with profound sense of joy to know you guys are working so hard to get EBII up and running.

Keep up the excellent work as I'm sure everyone on these forums will join me thanking you for slamming your heads repeatedly against a hard surface whilst trying to bring us the next version of the best Total War game yet made.

On a slightly different note however you should know that your amazing efforts in EB v1.0 have totally ruined all other incarnations of TW for me and basically made me waste lots of money buying them all and the expansion packs.

Vanilla Rome is un-playable compared to Eb, MTW2 is also unplayable, just looking at the campaign map in MTW2 and then comparing it to EB1 makes me quit the game in disgust. Kingdoms is no better, EB still looks and plays in a much superior way but it's not even about looks. The campaign map in EB makes for a much more strategic game than the bland, flat, featureless sea of green that MTW2 offers us.

I'm really looking forward to the EB2 now, with battles being as good as they are in MTW2 and the campaign being as challanging as it is in EB1, it's likely I will still be playing EB2 over Empires when that finally arrives. Knowing CA they will make Empires a walk in the park for seasoned TW players and I will be forced to go back to EB2 for the challange it (crosses fingers) presents.

You are the future of TW, thanks to all involved in the project and I'm looking forward to getting my hayasdan on when the game is ready for us plebs to play.

PS. Touch the cavalry stats for the hayasdan family members and I will find you and pull off your fingers :).

bovi
12-12-2007, 12:52
I guarantee you that all stats will have to be redone for EB2, including your precious. The lethality factor doesn't work in M2TW you see.

Puupertti Ruma
12-12-2007, 18:05
I guarantee you that all stats will have to be redone for EB2, including your precious. The lethality factor doesn't work in M2TW you see.

NOOO!!!!! :furious3:

Is there any new ways introduced in MTW2 (or kingdoms) to make the combat system more complex, or is that just a step backwards?

konny
12-13-2007, 18:15
From what I have seen, but I haven't played some much, it is a step backward.

wumpus
01-16-2008, 07:26
Any possibility for increasing the number of weapons a soldier can carry from 2 to 3 or more??? This is what I'm really concern about
What I would rather see, instead, is an increase in the number of factions possible, and a wider map. I'm certain this is what a great number of others here would also drool about. Hawooh.

wumpus
01-16-2008, 07:38
EB 2 is the only reason that Im buying MTWII
thanks guys best of luck
I already have M2TW. I already have Kingdoms. Didn't like them that much, really--I continue to prefer RTW. Because RTW has BI, Alexander, XGM, and especially EB. But if EB2 will be here already, I'm sure I'll begin to like M2TW for its sake. (What I lack at the moment is a 2-GHz computer, so that I'd be totally contented--at the moment.) Hawooh.

Lusted
01-16-2008, 11:54
Is there any new ways introduced in MTW2 (or kingdoms) to make the combat system more complex, or is that just a step backwards?

Way to assign individual movement speeds to all units is very useful.

Sarkiss
01-26-2008, 11:36
so is this patch out yet?
i went to totalwar.com but got confused. there are two, 1.2 and 1.3 for MTWII with no dates of their release! i dont play MTWII so cant trace which of them i already have. im pretty sure i downloaded one of them some time last year, cant remember whether it was 1.2 or 1.3...

Mouzafphaerre
01-26-2008, 22:17
so is this patch out yet?
i went to totalwar.com but got confused. there are two, 1.2 and 1.3 for MTWII with no dates of their release! i dont play MTWII so cant trace which of them i already have. im pretty sure i downloaded one of them some time last year, cant remember whether it was 1.2 or 1.3...
Nope, it's not out yet. Personally I'd prefer a more complete patch to an early one. :yes:

Sarkiss
01-27-2008, 11:47
Nope, it's not out yet. Personally I'd prefer a more complete patch to an early one. :yes:
ok, thanks.
another quick question. when you get both 1.2 and 1.3 patches installed what will it say in options scroll's top right corner? right now i got 1.03...
sorry for OT.
thanks in advance

Mouzafphaerre
01-27-2008, 16:55
AFAIK it displays the latest version, ie that of the last path. But this is based on MTW and RTW, as well as EUIII (so it's a bit of a standard). I don't remember what exactly it looked like in MiNO.

fenix3279
01-29-2008, 05:45
You most buy the MTW2 and Kingdoms because EB 2 is for Kingdoms
So I have to buy both MTW2 AND Kingdoms or can I just get Kingdoms?

Puupertti Ruma
01-29-2008, 11:55
I guess Kingdoms needs Mtw2 to work, but I'm not sure. You could of course wait for a "gold"-version to come out, which would contain both Mtw2 and Kingdoms.

master of the puppets
01-29-2008, 23:00
wait a sec... srry if i sound stupid but... so the mod isn't out yet

right?
cuz it looks awesome and i need a good mod.

aftzengeier
01-29-2008, 23:38
Hi master of the puppets...

EB 1 (on the ROME-engine) is already released but EB 2 (based on the Medieval2-engine) is still in its swaddling clothes ~;)

Greetings...

Xtiaan72
02-01-2008, 06:31
By the time you need Kingdoms there will be a discount bundle for under 30 dollars if the past is any indication.

What I really want to know is when we are going to get a Stele # 4

Mithridates VI Eupator
02-11-2008, 15:01
Gee, I can't wait for Stele #4!
Not to mention prewievs on the new factions, and their units! That'd be sweet...

Copperknickers
02-12-2008, 22:54
Well there shouldn't really be too much to talk about faction and unit wise. Excluding the new factions (don't know how many) the units should all be the same in keeping with historical accuracy.

Gebeleisis
02-14-2008, 21:23
From what I have seen, but I haven't played some much, it is a step backward.

+1
played the game a lot,im preety known in the meddie comunity but i agree with konny,it IS a step backwards.

those execution moves dough look nice and the posibility of in close screenies with cinematic editor rule,but in rest...meh:no:

Sarkiss
02-16-2008, 11:24
+1
played the game a lot,im preety known in the meddie comunity but i agree with konny,it IS a step backwards.

those execution moves dough look nice and the posibility of in close screenies with cinematic editor rule,but in rest...meh:no:
i disagree. whilst its not as advanced of a step forward as we would have expected it is certainly not a step backward either. it does have many improvements and new features. and AI is more moddable.

Intrepid Adventurer
02-19-2008, 14:38
+1

So how is the MTW2 system a step backwards?

Hax
02-19-2008, 19:58
Overall worse Unit Cohesion, mostly.

TheHorde
02-21-2008, 03:09
Hello there,
I was just wondering if exactly what your team has considered fro their unit cohesion, movement, and unity in combat. For mtwII in calvary fighting i found this mod by Niko and this vid very interesting for implementing in mods. The calvary attack would actually carry through the lines, no stop in front of them. Check them out ^^ ill put on next post

TheHorde
02-21-2008, 03:12
OK here is the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IibnaQYGQb0

Iasonis
02-21-2008, 11:52
pretty nice cavalry attack, have any other videos of it?

Sarkiss
02-21-2008, 15:54
OK here is the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IibnaQYGQb0
cool, but i dont think such an effect would be appropriate in regard to ancient cavalry. apart form maybe cataphracts.

Sarkiss
02-21-2008, 15:56
pretty nice cavalry attack, have any other videos of it?
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lxMLQLURtyU&NR=1

TheHorde
02-23-2008, 18:18
i know it might not be perfect for the cavalry attacks, however it is much better suited for it rather than jss stopping in front of enemies. At least this way u can utilize a cavalry assault to try to overrun enemy lines instead of trotting into them. Anyways thnx for looking into it

mcantu
02-26-2008, 23:27
Looks like the mounts have a high mass value...

eddy_purpus
03-03-2008, 02:58
well . . .
let me say . . .
great MOD for RTW :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
but as i see .:dizzy2:
you guys are tryin to do the same mod on M2TW . . .
remember . . .
in M2TW . .
each soldier is differently dressed :P
well in different colors and that. . .
it would be cool if you guys do that ~:cheers:

thanks ...:unitedstates: :leo: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

antisocialmunky
03-04-2008, 14:19
i know it might not be perfect for the cavalry attacks, however it is much better suited for it rather than jss stopping in front of enemies. At least this way u can utilize a cavalry assault to try to overrun enemy lines instead of trotting into them. Anyways thnx for looking into it

That's not necessarily true, cavalry still will stop at the first lines.

Ibrahim
03-05-2008, 01:16
I heard that Makedonians painted helmets-is this accurate, if so, then will they have painted helms?
and how will they fix formation problems? the formations get all screwed up in M2TW, and the spear wall has no cohesion:no: :no:
hope you do something with the hyper lethal weapons....

EB1 rocks! may EB2 Rock even more!:balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2:

a 21 balloon salute (have no cannons):wall: :shame:

Sarkiss
03-05-2008, 19:58
I heard that Makedonians painted helmets-is this accurate, if so, then will they have painted helms?
and how will they fix formation problems? the formations get all screwed up in M2TW, and the spear wall has no cohesion:no: :no:

afaik this should be addressed in upcoming Kingdoms patch, no?

Ibrahim
03-06-2008, 19:22
I dunno, don't have An MTW2 kingdoms:no: :shame:
they already released kingdoms

dom385
03-09-2008, 17:14
well for a start hi i just joined. but anyway, i know this has probably already been asked but i couldnt be bothered to look through all the pages but when will it be release. it looks likes theres quite a bit done already and i wanted to know if there was any point me buying another game or play this and save for empires.

Ludens
03-09-2008, 17:16
Although no release date has been given, the release is still quite a long way off.

dom385
03-09-2008, 17:52
ohhh i was looking forward to it i spose i'll have to play eb1

Hax
03-10-2008, 12:08
If yer lucky, there will be a release before 2009.

General Appo
03-10-2008, 19:55
A Beta one that is. What I´m really waiting for is Stele #4, though I´m starting to think it may never come.

Romavictor12345
03-11-2008, 02:40
it will come...hopefully...with the discovery of this new hopeful mod there are now 3 glorious teams trying to make a rtw version for mtw2 it would be so helpful if they would just join up x.x

Teleklos Archelaou
03-11-2008, 04:05
EB is EB and will remain so. Why mess with something this successful?

Ibrahim
03-11-2008, 14:11
I just got the kingdoms installed-it helps with formations..but barely so; they still can't keep a square formation, turning into a thin-is rectangle, but not as thin as in vanilla MTW2

antisocialmunky
03-12-2008, 15:39
The unit cohesion isn't THAT bad. Its pretty bad, but I don't think its as bad as people make it out to be. Once you get used to it, it isn't too hard to get your units to do what you want them to do though the occasional suicidal thing happens.

You just have to learn how to adapt. It on a whole isn't a completely negative change since I doubt that it was that easy to move formations back in the day.

Belisarius12
05-11-2008, 13:56
i can't wait to see eb2

Viking_Wårlord
08-07-2008, 22:17
Put more Germanic factions,there were far 2 many celts in EB!Try putting Germanic tribes to fill the 10 new factionsthat would be cool(especially the chauki and saxons tribes^^)

General Appo
08-14-2008, 08:47
Once again, it´s not just putting factions there because it´s cool, you have to have enough evidence about those factions, their warfare, their culture, their infrastructure, their names, lots of things. You can´t just put up factions because it would be cool.

SamuraiofDoom
12-30-2008, 06:49
Ok, I should probably wait until a 2.5 or a 2.2 to download it, it should all be done then.