PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Core?

Lemur
12-05-2007, 20:16
Please delete this post if the issue has been addressed already, but a discussion over in the Hardware/Software subforum got me thinking ...

Does CA have a position on multi-core usage? For instance, are they tweaking for that rare beast, the quad-core? Have any of the devs made any statements on this subject anywhere?

Just toss me a link if this has already been thrashed about.

Belgolas
12-06-2007, 01:51
I don't know but they better be or else you would need a super duper fast CPU. My Q6600 wont be happy without it.

Husar
12-06-2007, 02:54
Good question, I'd like to know that as well, support from current games seems to be a bit lacking from what I've seen on my dual core.

Lemur
12-06-2007, 13:07
Well, dual-core is a no-brainer, if only because all of your AV, system, IO and other stuff can be handled by one of the cores while the other does nothing but concentrated on your game. So you're always going to see a speed jump by using a dual-core, whether the game is optimized or not.

But with the chip manufacturers pushing four-core procs, it really does become a burning question for gamers. 'Cause if the apps don't take advantage of those two extra cores, we're being encouraged to waste money and electricity powering a chip that's 50% idle.

For now I'm encouraging people to stick with dual-core. But I'm willing to change my tune if new evidence comes to light ...

Bijo
12-08-2007, 15:20
They seem to be fond of updating their graphics, having people to require more system power, and so on: it would be logically consistent if they would let people make good use of quad-core technology. If it would be included, they better make it right from the start (not just for this, but for the whole product generally). The less patches, the better. No patches at all necessary --> perfect.