PDA

View Full Version : Mike Huckabee is a Genius

PanzerJaeger
12-09-2007, 23:59
Now that Huckabee is actually showing to be somewhat competitive in the latest polls, the press is starting to actually look into what he's said during his political career. I thought this was a particularly brilliant position he took during his failed senate race.

Hollywood should pay for AIDS research.. or... gays r evilz!!1 (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071208/ap_on_el_pr/huckabee_aids)

Huckabee wanted to isolate AIDS patients By ANDREW DeMILLO, Associated Press Writer
Sat Dec 8, 5:13 PM ET

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Mike Huckabee once advocated isolating AIDS patients from the general public, opposed increased federal funding in the search for a cure and said homosexuality could "pose a dangerous public health risk."

ADVERTISEMENT

As a candidate for a U.S. Senate seat in 1992, Huckabee answered 229 questions submitted to him by The Associated Press. Besides a quarantine, Huckabee suggested that Hollywood celebrities fund AIDS research from their own pockets, rather than federal health agencies.

Huckabee said Saturday that his comments came at a time when the public was still learning about HIV and AIDS and promised to do "everything possible to transform the promise of a vaccine and a cure into reality."

In 1992, Huckabee wrote, "If the federal government is truly serious about doing something with the AIDS virus, we need to take steps that would isolate the carriers of this plague."

"It is difficult to understand the public policy towards AIDS. It is the first time in the history of civilization in which the carriers of a genuine plague have not been isolated from the general population, and in which this deadly disease for which there is no cure is being treated as a civil rights issue instead of the true health crisis it represents."

The AP submitted the questionnaire to both candidates in the 1992 senate race; only Huckabee responded. Incumbent Sen. Dale Bumpers won his fourth term; Huckabee was elected lieutenant governor the next year and became governor in 1996.

When asked about AIDS research in 1992, Huckabee complained that AIDS research received an unfair share of federal dollars when compared to cancer, diabetes and heart disease.

"In light of the extraordinary funds already being given for AIDS research, it does not seem that additional federal spending can be justified," Huckabee wrote. "An alternative would be to request that multimillionaire celebrities, such as Elizabeth Taylor (,) Madonna and others who are pushing for more AIDS funding be encouraged to give out of their own personal treasuries increased amounts for AIDS research."

Huckabee said in a prepared statement released by his campaign Saturday afternoon that he called for quarantine when there was a lot of confusion about how AIDS is spread. He said he wanted at the time to follow traditional medical practices used for dealing with tuberculosis and other infectious diseases.

"We now know that the virus that causes AIDS is spread differently, with a lower level of contact than with TB," Huckabee said. "But looking back almost 20 years, my concern was the uncertain risk to the general population — if we got it wrong, many people would die needlessly. My concern was safety first, political correctness last."

When Huckabee wrote his answers in 1992, it was common knowledge that AIDS could not be spread by casual contact. In late 1991, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said there were 195,718 AIDS patients in the country and that 126,159 people had died from the syndrome.

The nation had an increased awareness of AIDS at the time because pro basketball star Magic Johnson had recently disclosed he carried the virus responsible for it. Johnson retired but returned to the NBA briefly during the 1995-96 season.

Since becoming a presidential candidate this year, Huckabee has supported increased federal funding for AIDS research through the National Institutes of Health.

"My administration will be the first to have an overarching strategy for dealing with HIV and AIDS here in the United States, with a partnership between the public and private sectors that will provide necessary financing and a realistic path toward our goals," Huckabee said in a statement posted on his campaign Web site last month.

Also in the wide-ranging AP questionnaire in 1992, Huckabee said, "I feel homosexuality is an aberrant, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle, and we now know it can pose a dangerous public health risk."

A Southern Baptist preacher, Huckabee has been a favorite among social conservatives for his vocal opposition to gay marriage. In 2003, Huckabee said that the U.S. Supreme Court was probably right to strike down anti-sodomy laws, but that states still should be able to restrict things such as gay marriage or domestic partner benefits.

"What people do in the privacy of their own lives as adults is their business," Huckabee said. "If they bring it into the public square and ask me as a taxpayer to support it or to endorse it, then it becomes a matter of public discussion and discourse."

Kralizec
12-10-2007, 00:12
I'll assume you're being sarcastic. As the article points out:

When Huckabee wrote his answers in 1992, it was common knowledge that AIDS could not be spread by casual contact.

He's clearly a colossal jackass.

Ice
12-10-2007, 00:14
:thumbsdown:

lmao

ICantSpellDawg
12-10-2007, 00:47
Romney Rulez!

CountArach
12-10-2007, 03:43
Just when I was starting to like the guy...

That said I'm an Aussie, so its not like my opinion matters...

Sasaki Kojiro
12-10-2007, 04:12
He's very unethical all round. Using public funds for personal use etc.

Louis VI the Fat
12-10-2007, 04:20
Hickabee said, "I feel homosexuality is an aberrant, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle, and we now know it can pose a dangerous public health risk."

So the Republican line-up for '08: one homophobe, one saying the non-religious have no morals and no place in America, and one who'll abolish the Fed and return to a metal standard. Great.

Can we ask Bush to serve another term, please? :shame:

Sasaki Kojiro
12-10-2007, 04:23
So the Republican line-up for '08: one homophobe, one saying the non-religious have no morals and no place in America, and one who'll abolish the Fed and return to a metal standard. Great.

You forgot tancredo, who refused to attend the debate today because it was sponsored by a spanish language group and he wants to end all immigration.

Crazed Rabbit
12-10-2007, 06:38
one saying the non-religious have no morals and no place in America

Oh, come on Louis. That's lame and you know it. The speech was about religion. Atheists go on about how they think religion is bunk, and then complain when a speech about religion doesn't include them? What a pathetic 'you didn't mention me and you made me a victim' whining.

Oh, yeah, I really hope Huckabee becomes a non-factor in this election real soon. He's no fiscal conservative and ethically challenged.

CR

PanzerJaeger
12-10-2007, 08:33

His brother would actually be a great choice.. :2thumbsup:

Odin
12-10-2007, 15:14

Rudy's the cream of the crop: A pro choice, gun control republican who has several moral dillema's. :laugh4:

Huckabee's surge looks to me like the christian right has found thier poster boy.

People get on me for liking Paul and Biden, honestly its a pretty poor field all around.

Vladimir
12-10-2007, 15:40
Rudy's the cream of the crop: A pro choice, gun control republican who has several moral dillema's. :laugh4:

Huckabee's surge looks to me like the christian right has found thier poster boy.

People get on me for liking Paul and Biden, honestly its a pretty poor field all around.

Paul AND Biden? Are you serious? :inquisitive:

Odin
12-10-2007, 16:03
Paul AND Biden? Are you serious? :inquisitive:

In the debates i have watched those are the only two who seem to be able to have a consistant position on issues and be able to articulate them no matter the forum.

Biden's been around a while and while he isnt my hearts desire, he could certainly get things done in Washington.

For right now its Paul, for the simple reason his platform is more in line with libertarian leanings, something the republican party should begin to consider adopting.

So yeah i'm serious. However I can be convienced otherwise. Im still an undeclared independent at this point.

Don Corleone
12-10-2007, 18:12
I think we should send a formal invitation to Tony Blair. :laugh4:

Seriously, it's pretty sad when we're not even into, let alone out of primary season and I'm jaded on all the candidates. I understand your plight Odin, I don't like Romney one bit, I just think he's the leper with the most fingers left.

:help:

Odin
12-10-2007, 18:38
I think we should send a formal invitation to Tony Blair. :laugh4:

Seriously, it's pretty sad when we're not even into, let alone out of primary season and I'm jaded on all the candidates. I understand your plight Odin, I don't like Romney one bit, I just think he's the leper with the most fingers left.

:help:

For what its worth Don, he wasnt a bad Govenor. However he's got blood on his hands with this universal health care we have now.

Considering he was playing ball with one hand tied behind his back his entire term he fared well. Not only that but he did attempt to unseat Senator for life Uncle Teddy, which gets mucho points with me.

Spino
12-10-2007, 19:17
Well despite the fact that Huckabee is going to be tarred and feathered for this statement he did make a good point and one that I discussed with friends years ago. The idea that carriers of such a destructive, contagious disease are allowed to roam amongst the general population and fornicate at will is pretty horrifying (especially when the carriers know they're carriers and do nothing to prevent putting others at risk). Yes, I realize sexually transmitted diseases have been with us since... well forever and society has done little to isolate carriers of syphilis, gonorrhea & herpes but those STDs are minor league compared to the beast that is AIDS.

Seriously, it's pretty sad when we're not even into, let
alone out of primary season and I'm jaded on all the candidates. I understand your plight Odin, I don't like Romney one bit, I just think he's the leper with the most fingers left.

Now THAT'S a sig quote if ever there was one... :thumbsup:

Vladimir
12-10-2007, 19:25
If we allow people with tuberculosis to roam free we shouldn't lock up those with HIV, that is, in less it becomes airborne.

Navaros
12-10-2007, 21:43
I don't respect Huckabee because of his backsliding and shying away from his convictions once he starts becoming a bit popular. His backsliding is by far the most disturbing aspect of the whole subject.

InsaneApache
12-12-2007, 12:31
Does anyone know what his views on kangaroos are?

http://timesonline.typepad.com/comment/2007/12/how-huckabee-th.html

:laugh4:

Philippus Flavius Homovallumus
12-12-2007, 14:14
If we allow people with tuberculosis to roam free we shouldn't lock up those with HIV, that is, in less it becomes airborne.

Except that TB etc are treatable and relatively stable diseases, while HIV is unreatable and it's impossible to know who has it and who doesn't. The who has it camp may include two thirds of some nations' militaries.

Forget the unprotected sex issue, what about a car crash, or an industrial accident.

While I'm not really in favour of locking these people away Leper Colonies existed for a reason and we at least need to start talking about some restrictions, even if it's just needing to wear an "HIV" bracelet.

Man up guys, we've got no cure, no vacine, and if this goes airborne everyone in the Mid East and Africa dies.

Kralizec
12-12-2007, 15:29
while HIV is unreatable and it's impossible to know who has it and who doesn't.

Wrong. HIV can be treated and those afflicted can live for decades before AIDS kicks in. The latest generation of medicines also have much fewer side effects than previously used cocktails. Having to use them still sucks pretty badly of course, not in the least because it's ultimately uncurable.

Man up guys, we've got no cure, no vacine, and if this goes airborne everyone in the Mid East and Africa dies.

:inquisitive:
How probable is it that a disease transmitted by blood contact becomes airborne?

Vladimir
12-12-2007, 16:06
How probable is it that a disease transmitted by blood contact becomes airborne?

That would depend on the nature of the virus. While the HIV virus(es) mutate frequently it still lacks the ability to survive for long when exposed. There's a lot of blood in the lungs and even cough droplets can harbor a virus.

Ironside
12-12-2007, 21:07
That would depend on the nature of the virus. While the HIV virus(es) mutate frequently it still lacks the ability to survive for long when exposed. There's a lot of blood in the lungs and even cough droplets can harbor a virus.

There's quite a bit of changes needed for that (aka very unlikely to happen naturally) and isolation would only help after this change, not preventing it.

While I'm not really in favour of locking these people away Leper Colonies existed for a reason and we at least need to start talking about some restrictions, even if it's just needing to wear an "HIV" bracelet.

Tbh it's because Lepra causes phyical deformities and that they don't die that made it feared enough to cause those colonies. It's the least infectible disease that's infectible known to man.

Oh, and are thgose braclets public or something? Such things will end soo well otherwise... :rolleyes:
How often do you get other peoples blood through your eyes or in a open wound?

Vladimir
12-12-2007, 21:39
Oh, and are thgose braclets public or something? Such things will end soo well otherwise... :rolleyes:
How often do you get other peoples blood through your eyes or in a open wound?

Medical alert bracelets are quite common all though they are designed to protect the wearer. It doesn't matter "how often" it happens, it only needs to happen once.

Geoffrey S
12-12-2007, 21:45
Well despite the fact that Huckabee is going to be tarred and feathered for this statement he did make a good point and one that I discussed with friends years ago. The idea that carriers of such a destructive, contagious disease are allowed to roam amongst the general population and fornicate at will is pretty horrifying (especially when the carriers know they're carriers and do nothing to prevent putting others at risk). Yes, I realize sexually transmitted diseases have been with us since... well forever and society has done little to isolate carriers of syphilis, gonorrhea & herpes but those STDs are minor league compared to the beast that is AIDS.
Quite frankly I'm shocked at how often someone doesn't know if they're safe. Sure, perhaps they think so, but being sexually active yet not having a check-up every so often smacks of stupidity to me. It's one of the few conditions I set, just a bit of responsibility.

Sasaki Kojiro
12-13-2007, 00:54

Jesus Christ. AIDS isn't a death sentence. People infected with it have a fairly normal life expectancy.

Lord Winter
12-13-2007, 01:03

Can we ask Bush to serve another term, please?

Theres still Mcain :yes:

Tribesman
12-13-2007, 01:24

If it is adaptable and resilient it could complete a course at Bragg or Campbell .

12-13-2007, 01:51
Jesus Christ. AIDS isn't a death sentence. People infected with it have a fairly normal life expectancy.

Yes it is, and your life expectancy isn't normal unless you don't get it until 60 or so. I think 20 years is fairly normal even today.

Wrong. HIV can be treated and those afflicted can live for decades before AIDS kicks in. The latest generation of medicines also have much fewer side effects than previously used cocktails. Having to use them still sucks pretty badly of course, not in the least because it's ultimately uncurable.

:inquisitive:

It doesn't matter how long it takes, fact is prolonging life expectancy increases the chances of a new mutation, as does feeding the virus ultimately ineffectual drugs. These people aren't just carriers, they're walking incubators. The more the virus mutates the higher the likelyhood it becomes airbourne, the longer people live with it the more it mutates.

Unless you're lucky enough to have the two magic genes that make you immune the virus is 100% fatal. From my point of view prolonging the life expectancy of someone who has an incurable, virillant and infectious disease isn't a good idea medically.

In the end the question is simple: Who transmits the disease to new sufferers, it's not happening through transfusion anymore. There was a case over here of a man who knew he was infected and went on to infect his girlfriend regardless.

This isn't cancer, or a genetic defect, this can kill us all if it isn't stamped out and the best way to do that is to test everyone and then make sure those people that have the bug don't pass it on.

Normally I don't go in for the "greater good" arguement but this could potentially be the end of our species, because we are prolonging the life cycle of the virus.

Papewaio
12-13-2007, 01:56
Unless you're lucky enough to have the two magic genes that make you immune the virus is 100% fatal. From my point of view prolonging the life expectancy of someone who has an incurable, virillant and infectious disease isn't a good idea medically.
Normally I don't go in for the "greater good" arguement but this could potentially be the end of our species.

You defeated your own worst case scenario in the same post. Therefore why should we perform an AIDS carrier cleansing?

Husar
12-13-2007, 02:03
If it is adaptable and resilient it could complete a course at Bragg or Campbell .
:laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4:

12-13-2007, 22:11
You defeated your own worst case scenario in the same post. Therefore why should we perform an AIDS carrier cleansing?

Because even in Scandanavia thopse two genes are only in 12% of the population and in Sub Saharan Africa and East Asia that percentage is zero?

Sasaki Kojiro
12-13-2007, 23:40
Philipus, no offense, but you are just being ignorant.

1) With the right medication started soon enough, people with AIDS live a long time. As long as someone considered at risk for heart disease.

2) It's not that easy to get the disease. Even unprotected sex only has a 1/500 chance of getting it. And when have you ever gotten blood in your eye or mouth? Do you know anyone who has?

Ironside
12-14-2007, 00:20
2) It's not that easy to get the disease. Even unprotected sex only has a 1/500 chance of getting it. And when have you ever gotten blood in your eye or mouth? Do you know anyone who has?

It does not survive through saliva, so only the eyes are possible (maybe the nose though :book: )

It doesn't matter how long it takes, fact is prolonging life expectancy increases the chances of a new mutation, as does feeding the virus ultimately ineffectual drugs. These people aren't just carriers, they're walking incubators. The more the virus mutates the higher the likelyhood it becomes airbourne, the longer people live with it the more it mutates.

So when do you expect to grow wings?

HIV needs a lot of changes to become airborne and a lot of changes after that to become really dangerously airborne.

So everyone infected by a really nasty disease should be left to die?

Medical alert bracelets are quite common all though they are designed to protect the wearer. It doesn't matter "how often" it happens, it only needs to happen once.
And this HIV bracelet is designed to protect who? The random passerby that considers purging HIV infected persons a valid target to purge in the name of the greater good?

Louis VI the Fat
12-14-2007, 13:05
Ah, it appears Huckabee may hate effeminate gays, but he sure loves them rough and raunchy men who show 17 year old girls who's boss:

Despite Victims' Pleas, Huckabee Pushed Rapist's Freedom

As Arkansas governor, GOP presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee pushed for the parole of rapist Wayne Dumond despite chilling testimonies from other victims and their relatives that he was a dangerous criminal who would strike again.

Dumond, serving a life sentence for raping a 17-year-old girl, was released in 1999 following reported public and private efforts by Huckabee on his behalf. Within a year of Dumond's release, he was accused of raping and murdering two more women. He was convicted of raping and murdering one of the women and returned to jail, where he died in 2005.

Documentation of Dumond's dangerousness -- including graphic, emotional letters from his alleged victims and their family members -- was in Huckabee's gubernatorial files at the time he was advocating Dumond's release, the site reports. After first denying the letters were genuine, a spokesperson for Huckabee now confirms at least one of these letters was received by his gubernatorial office. The documents were provided to a reporter several years ago by a Huckabee aide, according to the Huffington Post Web site, which published them today.

In one, a woman tells of how Dumond raped her daughter, while her three-year-old grandchild looked on. "I am also a rape victim of Dumond's," reads another heavily-underlined, bolded letter to Huckabee from the file. "Please reconsider your decision to release Dumond."

Huckabee even met with one victim, Ashley Stevens, whose rape had put Dumond behind bars in 1985.
I hope that America will wake up to the real threat! Vote Huckabee and release rapists (http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2007/12/despite-victims.html) to make way in America's prisons for gays!

econ21
12-15-2007, 01:39
Louis, your post led me to spend too much reading up on that awful Dumond case. I now feel dirty all over. I don't know what makes me feel worse - the sickening "small town" justice that Dumond experienced or the anti-Clinton hatred that seems to have blinded some - including Huckabee - to the vile nature of Dumond.

Read the spoiler only if you want to feel as soiled as I do.

"Small town justice": after raping the local prom queen, Dumond was castrated and his testicles exhibited in a jar on the local sheriff's desk. Dumond won $110,000 damages from the sheriff. No one was charged for the castration and state police thought it self-inflicted. The sheriff's display makes me question that conclusion though.

anti-Clinton hatred leading to blindness: the prom queen was a distant cousin of Bill Clinton and some on the right believed Dumond to have been subject to a miscarriage of justice because of the rape victim's political connection. Articles defending the man were written seeking to depict this as another Clinton Whitewater type scandal, with false information such as claims of inconclusive DNA tests (none were taken) and an absence of a criminal record (Dumond had already participated in a murder and had done other bad stuff). Huckabee seems to have bought into this.

BTW, the case seems to question some simplistic notions of rape. Dumond later sexually attacked and killed one woman, probably two, after his castration. The only comfort I take is knowing Dumond died in prison - harsh, I know, but the world is better off without him.

Louis VI the Fat
12-15-2007, 02:15
Econ, in turn, your post has now made me read up more about this case. There is much more to it than I thought when I first posted it.

I don't really know what to say about it all. Just that I'm overwhelmed by it all. What a culture shock too. I feel like the main character of a movie I once saw. It was about a federal agent venturing into the Deep South to solve some sort of crime. Once there, the movie changed to a semi-film noir setting. With lots of plot twists, where everything is connected to everything and everybody. Ancient vendettas, feuds and weird customs. Like the protagonist, I come out feeling dazed and confused, even dirty for having touched upon it. What a mess.

I don't even know where to begin quoting or linking.

Vladimir
12-15-2007, 02:42
~:eek: I hope you're not talking about Mississippi burning. I believe that's considered a classic.

econ21
12-15-2007, 03:00
I don't really know what to say about it all. Just that I'm overwhelmed by it all.

I know - if it were in a film, you would say it was too melodramatic and over the top.

What a culture shock too.

Indeed. I suspect some Americans might say the "small town justice" aspect is an Arkansas thing. But the Clinton-hatred angle is national, as we know at the Org:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1779650&postcount=1

Louis VI the Fat
12-15-2007, 16:28
~:eek: I hope you're not talking about Mississippi burning. I believe that's considered a classic.That could well be the one, thanks. And please don't get me wrong, the movie itself was great.

Oh, now that we are on the subject of culture shocks, and seeing as how I am never above taking cheap shots, here's a former Christmas card from the Hickabees:

https://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7292/huckfamilyct2.jpg

Edit: Mike's irritating me. So Gah:
In the back, in the left corner, weighing in at 300 pounds is David. That thing in the middle is John Mark. On the right, high school prom queen Sarah. The fluffy object in front is Ranger, gasping for breath while it's being strangled by Janet while Mike's helping holding him down by his paw.

Vladimir
12-17-2007, 15:02
Genius and historian (http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives2/2007/12/019294.php).

Ancient wisdom, via Michael Corleone

Last night Paul commented here on Mike Huckabee's deep thoughts on foreign policy as spelled out in the new issue of Foreign Affairs. When Huckabee addresses Iran, he invokes classic authority:

Sun-tzu's ancient wisdom is relevant today: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

At Junkyard Blog, See-Dubya traces the saying, not to Sun Tzu, but rather to The Godfather. See-Dubya advises Huckabee, when trying to impress the swells:

Do a little fact checking.

After all, as de Tocqueville said, This is the business we have chosen. Or was that the Federalist Papers?

I think it's the Federalist Papers that advises aspiring presidential candidates not to make fools of themselves.

EDIT: Was Tribesman making fun of the Army? Bragg and Campbell are #1 and 2. The Air Assault course?

Husar
12-17-2007, 15:55
Fort Bragg and Fort Campbell are airborne infantry bases from what I gathered.

Vladimir
12-17-2007, 16:07
Fort Bragg and Fort Campbell are airborne infantry bases from what I gathered.

Bragg is Airborne while Campbell is Air Assault. Nice twist there: Airborne AIDS/Airborne soldiers providing aid. :2thumbsup:

ICantSpellDawg
12-17-2007, 16:13
Huckabee will be a massive mistake for the Republicans.

Xiahou
12-17-2007, 16:39
Huckabee will be a massive mistake for the Republicans.
It will be tough to continue to have hope for the republic if even the Republicans knowingly nominate a big-government, economic liberal. :shame:

ICantSpellDawg
12-18-2007, 19:36
I just realized that Mike Huckabee looks like Hitler

https://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6755/huckoi6.jpg http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/2158911/2159086/2159087/070221_CL_HitlerEX.jpg
21st century hitler

I thought about that when I saw his floating cross video and heard Ron Paul say that "fascism would enter the country wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross"

I'm not saying that he is anything like Hitler, but make that picture black and white and you'll get the idea. Even the ears!

I can see it now "A vote for Mike Huckabee is a vote for Hitler"

CountArach
12-18-2007, 21:52
Best fear campaign ever.