PDA

View Full Version : About AI battle formations ...

Ibn-Khaldun
12-10-2007, 00:48
Why does the AI allmost allways line all of there troops in to single line and then start running towards you??
I mean it is just stupid!!
I have never lost a battle when they have done it.
Is there some mod or something that could fix this??

El Diablo
12-10-2007, 00:59
Welcome to the joys of the AI!!! :balloon2:

The usual line 'em up and charge tactic is typical of the "barbarian" factions that have a large charge bonus and often poor missle range to their infantry (so it is not the stupidest tactic). However for it to work it generally requires druid or some such to maintain moral and a bit of flanking with horses.

Fighting the barbarians with Greek phlanxes is particularly fun (as long as you have some quick horses to mop them up when they rout).

dimitrios the samian
12-10-2007, 02:38
Hi I-K ... YOU ASKED >> Why does the AI allmost allways line all of there troops in to single line and then start running towards you??
Because its Rome Total War where the AI got really stupid .. :dizzy2:
For a challenge try MTW or Shogun .:idea2: the AI thinks almost realistic !

mrdun
12-12-2007, 17:35
No point going backwards

mrdun
12-12-2007, 17:37
The all out charge is a replica of what barbarians would have done and their numerical advantage will help them. If you counter charge them with Romans then you will get out numbered and lose but Romans cant be beaten if you keep the shape. {from some thread somewhere}

ShaiHulud
12-20-2007, 21:22
Mrdun- I once referred you to the Darth Mod. It appears you still have not tried it.... unless you just LIKE to pick on the poor AI? :smash:

He's made some very good improvements and the formations are historical, too.
What've you got to lose? Other than the battles, I mean? :beam:

mrdun
12-20-2007, 23:03
Ha, yeah i'm not the best on the battlefield.

I use the XGM mod. Is it possible to have them both?

Lysander13
12-21-2007, 19:31
I use the XGM mod. Is it possible to have them both?
XGM offers it's players the option to install an edited version of Darth Formations as part of the installation process.

mrdun
12-21-2007, 21:05
:laugh4: Of course Lysander yes. I have this on and get whoopassed every battle...how could I forget??

missik
12-22-2007, 13:10
is there a mod where they only change the AI formation for you?
i dont want to get a whole new mod because I've made a lot of changes to my RTW vanilla so far

Lysander13
12-22-2007, 14:32
is there a mod where they only change the AI formation for you?
i dont want to get a whole new mod because I've made a lot of changes to my RTW vanilla so far
Yes there is. There are two as it happens; Darth Formations & Sinuhet Formations, you can install them as is without having to do anything else.

Here's the Darth Formations 16.2 Super Pack link. Several Files come with this download, the one you want to install for use with Vanilla RTW is the "Generic Standalone Version".
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62465

The second formations mod you can use with vanilla RTW is Sinuhet's Battle Formations. Here's the link where you can find this formations mod.
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58952
Both are a big improvement over the vanilla stock Battle AI and can be installed as is with vanilla. Follow the instructions with whichever you choose to go with and you will be good to go.

missik
12-22-2007, 15:45
Is there a definitive "this is better than that"?

which one is used more prevalent?

Lysander13
12-22-2007, 16:07
No...not definatively. Only opinions. I would suggest you try them both and then decide for yourself which one you like better.