PDA

View Full Version : Did he or didn't he ?

Tribesman
12-20-2007, 20:07
Now this story can go in hundreds of directions .
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7154221.stm
Anyone want to choose one for a start ?

InsaneApache
12-20-2007, 20:15
Don't know enough to comment TBH. However, I suspect he would fall 'outside' of the Good Friday jobby, therefore potentially politically embarrassing.

IMHO.

Now that reminds me, where did internment get the UK? 24/54/64/90 days anyone?

Tribesman
12-21-2007, 01:58
Ah well a disapointing level of response ...... what a surprise :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: War on terror and all that crap eh .
Nice angles IA...
24/54/64/90 days anyone? ...and the ironic......
Good Friday jobby ...though I thought maybe the diplock or double jeopardy might come in ...oh well just another case of **** the victims and the authorities shooting themselves in the foot:shrug:

Husar
12-21-2007, 02:51
You know I wanted to say "he looks innocent" but then that would be spam, wouldn't it? ~;)

I don't even know who he is or what this is about to be honest, read the article but that's not enough to judge the case, I leave that to people who know the details in this case. :shrug:

Louis VI the Fat
12-21-2007, 03:14
Did he or didn't he ?
He didn't! It was the butler, with the rope, in the kitchen !!1!

Adrian II
12-21-2007, 03:14
Now this story can go in hundreds of directions .
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7154221.stm
Anyone want to choose one for a start ?
Sean Hoey, 38, of Molly Road in Jonesborough, was found not guilty of a total of 58 charges, including those not directly linked to the bombing.

Speaking at Belfast Crown Court, Mr Justice Weir was critical of police evidence and said they were guilty of a "deliberate and calculated deception".

Ooh, ah. Of course I don't wear the fox hat, but I would venture that this begs for a, um, profound investigation. By a committee, no less. A committee of senior policemen. Who were all deeply and personally involved in the Irish wars of the 1980's.

Anywhere near? :juggle2:

KukriKhan
12-21-2007, 03:31
Some "light" background (early BBC report) (http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/15/newsid_2496000/2496009.stm).

So the one guy fingered gets a clean bill o'health, and the local cops scramble to pin the blame on procedural errors... 'coz gosh, no one wants to derail the current hard-won lovefest, right? Maybe the relatives and family can wait another 10 years for satisfaction. Sure - they've waited this long.

And the real IRA who've (I guess) melted back into the landscape, can raise a Caffreys, and snicker into their sleeves, warm in the knowledge that they've delayed justice and peace by a decade, and likely won't be found out or punished until they're 70.

Q1: Does NI law address compensation for the family, for the loss of income and services that would have been provided, by the deceased-by-terrorism?

Q2: Is there any statute of limitations on murder there?

Tribesman
12-21-2007, 08:37
Kukri .
1 yes but only a small amount similar to the normal criminal compensation payments , thats why the families are taking civil action against the suspects .
2 No .

Adrian , have you got your cynical head on today ?

Louis , have you considered a job with the PSNI ? You appear sufficiently qualified for a high position .

macsen rufus
12-21-2007, 13:02
It all looks a sorry mess all round :no:

Whether he did or didn't (and I'm not going to hazard calling that one) the police did no-one any favours if they've been cooking the evidence. Time and again you see people "get off on the technicality" that the police lied, fabricated and deceived their way through a prosecution. A better way to "fight terror", surely, is to have a justice system that's fair, honest and follows "due process". So long as anyone is being fitted up - whether or not they're actually guilty - there's going to be a persistent grievance that will fuel the cycle of resentment and violence.

And if you're not going to do that then at least don't embarrass yourself publicly with judicial hypocrisy, get back to Harry's game and just whack 'em if you know they're guilty but can't prove it :bow:

None of which serves the families, of course.

Adrian II
12-21-2007, 23:26
Adrian , have you got your cynical head on today ?Me? Nooooo...! :yes: