PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear power in the UK?

Pannonian
12-24-2007, 13:27
Reactors could burn weapons plutonium (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2007/dec/24/nuclearpower.energy)

Are there any nuclear scientists here who can comment on the feasibility of this?

JR-
12-24-2007, 14:26
from what i read, we have enough reprocessable nuclear waste in the UK to give us nearly a century of nuclear power.

this is what we should be doing before we decide to build a million turbines.

the waste is extant, it is sitting there anyway, so we might as well use it, and at the same time transform it into a reduced and easier to deal with final waste.

InsaneApache
12-24-2007, 14:38
No nucular scientist here.

However I did a stint at Hunstaton 'B' in the late '70s. Man was that vessel hot! We did a 6 hour shift. Two hours on, 2 hours off, then 2 hours on.

Nearest thing I've got to wearing a spacesuit yet!

We all got a pint of orange juice at the end of each partial shift and it wasn't until you got to the bottom of the drink that you realised that it had been laced with salt.

As I said, that vessel was hot!

Odin
12-24-2007, 14:51
Reactors could burn weapons plutonium (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2007/dec/24/nuclearpower.energy)

Are there any nuclear scientists here who can comment on the feasibility of this?

There are a couple of rocket scientist here but for the most part the genius's that dwell in the backroom are creations of thier own imaginations. Your really going out on a limb hoping for a scientist in this bunch, but as I eluded to in my prior sentence there are plenty of genius's here that will reply (myself included of course)

Pannonian
12-24-2007, 15:12
There are a couple of rocket scientist here but for the most part the genius's that dwell in the backroom are creations of thier own imaginations. Your really going out on a limb hoping for a scientist in this bunch, but as I eluded to in my prior sentence there are plenty of genius's here that will reply (myself included of course)
I wasn't entirely serious when I asked for the opinions of Backroom nuclear scientists. I am quite aware of the calibre of internet forummers, myself included, whose self-perceived knowledge vastly outweighs their actual knowledge. Nonetheless, I was hoping for responses from someone more knowledgable than me, which would be the majority of Backroomers. So feel free to contribute!

Odin
12-24-2007, 15:20
I wasn't entirely serious when I asked for the opinions of Backroom nuclear scientists. I am quite aware of the calibre of internet forummers, myself included, whose self-perceived knowledge vastly outweighs their actual knowledge. Nonetheless, I was hoping for responses from someone more knowledgable than me, which would be the majority of Backroomers. So feel free to contribute!

I used to do consulting work for this company EPM (http://www.epm-inc.com/). My exposure to the nuclear field is limited, with the noted cavaet that the regulations here in the states would prohibit a new technique like this.

Essentially an entire new procedure doctrine would need to be adopted and seperated from exsisting processes. I dont know how viable it would be at the start but supposing it could be implemented by all means it seems a logical progression.

Papewaio
12-28-2007, 02:08
I think we used to have at least one nuclear physicist lurking around here.

Thorium reactors are interesting. But not a proven technology yet.

So what do they want to achieve?
What is the safest solution?
Is it possible to make a profit in the process?

Tribesman
12-28-2007, 02:36
Nope , but like IA I worked in these holes , not nice but BIIIIIGGGG money very BIG MONEY...... for as reason .

Now then apart from the normal :daisy: with nuclear stuff....cost .
BNF is down the pan , it will be down the pan for decades if not centuries .
This roposed process involves huge huge enormously huge expense , for yet unreliable results .
to complicate things further Britain doesn't even own half of the crap it holds that it proposes to convert , other countries dump their crap on England because they have previously looked at the propsals England is considering and decided that it is cheaper to pay into a huge tax sucking monstrosity in another counrty than to pay into a huge tax sucking monstrocityin their own countries .
If Britain hadn't so thourouly screwed up on their previous endevours to get rid of (or reduce ) this :daisy: then perhaps one might have slightly more confidence , but as it is its just a pipe deam bourne of desperation .