PDA

View Full Version : Christmas present, anyone?

CountMRVHS
12-24-2007, 18:05
Hi all,

Figured I'd post this here for the folks who, like myself, still play MTW.

Over the past few years I've been working on a mod for my own use, using the Viking era map and focusing on the post-Roman, pre-Viking era of Britain. I put together the factions by using Starkhorn's "Adding a New Faction to VI" guide, and changed some other stuff around as well, such as adding new units (no new images, however -- just renamed and re-tweaked units taken from the VI campaign and the MTW campaign). The map remains the same, as map-modding is beyond my ability.

There are still some things that I'd want to change eventually (some of the faction leaders' names, for example), but the mod is quite playable and, dare I say it, fun and challenging. I made it by myself, so there are some things that I'm sure aren't totally historically accurate; nevertheless, I tried to keep the "feel" right throughout.

So, although I originally just made it for myself, I now wonder if anyone else might be curious and interested to try it out. If so, I need to know how to make it available.

Here are some of the features of the mod:

Game beginning in the 5th century AD, as several pagan Germanic peoples are carving out kingdoms for themselves on the coasts of eastern and southern Britain, while Celtic kingdoms are trying to establish themselves and the heirs of the Roman rulers are desperately trying to maintain control.

10 Catholic factions:
-Irish
-Scots
-Picts
-Welsh
-Strathclyders
-Votadini
-the Men of Rheged
-the Men of Gwynedd
-Dumnonians
-Romano British

3 Pagan factions
-Angles
-Saxons
-Jutes

Many "new" units, including Hearthweru, Night Raiders, Cornish Bandits, Teulu, Keelmen, Gododdin Cavalry, Tryggmen, Ecgum Geneatas, and many more.

Different Conquest victory conditions: possession of critical lowland regions of Britain will be necessary to win the game.

No Watchtowers or Border Forts: Agents become crucial for maintaining security and spying out enemy forces.

No Vikings: Hordaland and Jutland begin as Rebel provinces, reachable only by agents.

Challenging gameplay: Many factions begin with only one or two provinces; but even factions with more land at the start will find it hard going. With so many factions on the map, the AI seems much more aggressive than the standard Viking campaign, as everyone tries to secure their own little kingdom and give themselves some elbow-room.

Anyway, if there is anyone interested in trying this out (I'd love to hear feedback, too!), I'll need to know how to upload it or mail it or whatever. If not, no big deal!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

CountMRVHS

-------------edit by drone----------------------
The mod can be downloaded here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local_links.php?linkid=572).
The unit fix can be found here (http://www.mizus.com/files/files/MTW/Full_Campaigns/DarkAge_unit_fixv2.zip).
------------------------------------------------

predaturd
12-24-2007, 18:44
someone tell him how to upload i want that mod

also does anyone know how to take out the ability of border forts to detect spys and assassins?

this mods gonna rule :)

CountMRVHS
12-24-2007, 19:39
Thanks for the interest! Hopefully someone can tell me how to make it available for you & anyone else.

I don't know if there is a way to make Border Forts unable to take out spies and assassins. I DO know that you can simply make Border Forts unbuildable, but leave Watchtowers buildable -- that way, you could see into neighboring provinces, but agents wouldn't be effected since Watchtowers don't catch spies or assassins.

I chose to take out both Watchtowers and Border Forts for my mod, because I wanted agents to be more important, and I wanted provinces to be a little harder to hold.

Anyway, I don't remember the specifics on how I did it, but I used Gnome Build_Prod and it was pretty simple. I don't know how to do it without Gnome, but if you know where to find the Border Fort in the gamefiles it should be easy enough.

As always, though, be careful when modding -- the slightest typo can make your game unplayable!

CountMRVHS

caravel
12-24-2007, 19:41
No Vikings: Hordaland and Jutland begin as Rebel provinces, reachable only by agents.
Great idea for a mod. You could potentially remove those provinces and add some extra ones if needed, especially to Ireland.

also does anyone know how to take out the ability of border forts to detect spys and assassins?

this mods gonna rule :)
You can't, but you can remove border forts altogether - as what you want is effectively a watchtower.

CountMRVHS
12-24-2007, 19:51
Good idea about changing provinces, Caravel. One of my few complaints with the Viking map is the representation of Ireland: it's just too easy to take the whole island and just sit there and tech up. More provinces there would help a bit.... and would definitely allow another viable faction or 2 on the island. Only problem is, I have 0 map skills.

Do you know how or where I can go about uploading this? I imagine it would be pretty simple, but I'm fairly inexperienced about computer stuff.

CountMRVHS

caravel
12-24-2007, 20:55
I know that Rythmic produced a map for the Brittania divided TW that has some extra provinces and it may be worth PM'ing him for some advice, or I can possibly help you if you provide me with a rough map showing exactly where you want the borders to lie and the names of the provinces, but I can't promise anything before mid January.

As to uploading, you can upload file and mods to the .org but I've never done it. You'd be better off pm'ing TosaInu about this. If you are going to upload I'd advise waiting until your mod is in a playable state and make the necessary changes to the map first - but of course that's up to you.

Good luck! :2thumbsup:

-edit: sorry about the typos, I've partaken of an ale or several. ~:cheers:

CountMRVHS
12-26-2007, 15:34
Thanks for the point in the right direction, Caravel.

The mod *is* playable right now -- just a few things I might want to fiddle with later -- so I think I'll see about uploading it so I can start to get feedback from potential players.

Thanks for the offer with the map stuff, too. As I think about it, though, the one place where I'd *really* want an extra province or two is in the region labeled as "Francia" on the Viking map. Would it be more difficult to add a province or two there than to add provinces in Ireland? Just curious -- I don't consider map changes to be strictly essential at this point, but it might be fun if possible.

Hope you're enjoying some kind of holiday! :2thumbsup:

CountMRVHS

dimitrios the samian
12-28-2007, 09:59
:smash: Well done Count .... Are the units you mentioned new creations ?

CountMRVHS
12-28-2007, 18:20
Thanks, dimitrios!

The units I mentioned I made using some info that was pointed out to me on the totalwar.com site in a FAQ. Basically, I took pre-existing units from the Viking campaign and the full European campaign and modified them for use in my own campaign. So they're not exactly "new" in the sense of having new images or anything like that, but they do have new stats, abilities, qualities, and descriptions. So for example, the Gododdin cavalry I made are essentially Jinetes; the Night Raiders use the Viking unit pic from the MTW campaign but come in units of 12, can hide in the open, and may have some different stats (can't remember exactly); Royal Retainers (the bodyguard unit for the Angles) are modified Swabian Swordsmen, etc.

I'm currently putting some finishing touches (faction descriptions, etc), and then I'll plan to get it available so people can check it out.

Since I started this thread I've been going back and playing some of the factions again just to see how things go, and I can say it's a *very* difficult campaign, at least for me on Expert. I'm probably the proudest of how the Romano-British faction came out. They start with approximately the same regions as Mercia in the Viking campaign, but face difficulties reminiscent of the HRE - lots of greedy, smaller neighbors who are eager to take a swipe, and just enough money to scrap together an army before all hell breaks loose. So if you like cramped, tense, challenging campaigns, this is one to try! :yes:

axel
12-28-2007, 21:32
Hi CountMRVHS
ill would love to play this mod:2thumbsup: gg mate

CountMRVHS
12-28-2007, 22:47
Great! I really want people to play this and give me feedback.

As soon as I can figure out which files I need to upload, I'll do that. I'm wondering if I need to upload my whole MTW folder, or each individual file I altered for the mod...

Aradan
12-29-2007, 14:49
The idea sounds great, can't wait to dig my old MTW copy out and try it out. :2thumbsup:

CountMRVHS
12-29-2007, 20:04
I'm flattered, Aradan. :beam: It obviously isn't up to the level of FATW, but hopefully should still be entertaining.

I'll try to get it uploaded today.

CountMRVHS

CountMRVHS
12-29-2007, 21:19
Wow, foiled by my crappy connection speed.

I have the .zip file ready to upload, but I'm looking at a 13-hour waiting time. Chances are I'd never be able to stay connected that long anyway.

I guess now I'll have to figure out a way to get this to another computer with a better connection and try it there. Sigh... and it was all going so well! :wall:

Aradan
12-30-2007, 13:39
Wouldn't it be possible to divide the files into, say, 3-4 folders and upload one at a time? Then someone with better connection could be kind enough, take the separate folders, merge them into one and reupload... ;)

CountMRVHS
12-30-2007, 17:14
Hey, that's a good idea.... hmm.....

I've been PMing TosaInu about this whole process (it's almost easier to do the modding itself than making the mod public!), so hopefully over the next few days the thing will be available.

On the plus side, this delay has given me some extra time to do some more fiddling with the mod - tweaking king's names and V&Vs, start units, region attributes, etc. The result will be, hopefully, a mod which gives the right "feel" of the period, as well as challenging gameplay and a nod toward historicity.

Back to VIKING_HEROES.txt! :book:

CountMRVHS

macsen rufus
01-03-2008, 18:19
Hi Count, I can give you a few pointers if you're still struggling:

* you only need to include the files you've changed/added, and from your description it sounds like most of it is in the startpos, prod files and localisation, so shouldn't be too much, plus the unit icons, infopics and reviewpanel graphics
* have you made new faction flags & shields or re-used existing ones?
* have you edited any animations (adding new shields/weapons is quite easy)?

Most mods will need to add things to four main directories:

Battle -- eg unit icons, flags?
Campmap -- eg reviewpanel/ men, infopics/men, names/heroes.txt, startpos
Loc -- Names.txt, descriptions.txt, faction_specific.txt, region_specific.txt
Textures -- shields? altered animations? deadpage, actionspage, new weapon/shield declarations in animation subfolders

plus the prod files in the top level directory

Don't forget you can also post it up to a file-sharing site like rapidshare, mydatabus, etc etc, most of which have free accounts for smallish things, and probably give you more management options than the Org (but I'm guessing on this last bit ~D ), then just post a link up in the Org where people will find it

You can also get an Install Creator at http://www.clickteam.com which has two benefits - makes installation more fool-proof for the user, and compresses the data better than ZIP so uploading and downloading is faster.

Good luck with the mod, it sounds like a fun campaign :2thumbsup:

CountMRVHS
01-03-2008, 18:50
Ahh, thanks for the tips!

For the flags and shields, I've just re-used ones from the MTW campaign - the Dumnonians use Poland's flag, the Votadini use Hungary's, etc.

I'll go over everything again and make sure I'm only including the *necessary* parts. It came to a bit over 100 MB when I tried to upload last time, so maybe I can cut that down.

Man, living in the country is nice sometimes, but not on those rare occasions you want a fast internet connection!

I think the mod is in its final stage. Kings' names have been fixed to be more historical - eventually you'll get Urien and Owain of Rheged, Mynyddawg of Gododdin, Vortigern and Ambrosius of the Romano-British. Arthur has been added as a hero of the Romano-British faction, appearing in the late 5th century. Victory conditions have been tweaked - 25 provinces now required for victory. Unit stats have been tweaked. A couple of river crossings have been added - something that was lacking, I felt, in the Viking map.

I'll be looking to make this available over the next couple of days, hopefully!

CountMRVHS

macsen rufus
01-04-2008, 13:13
For the flags and shields, I've just re-used ones from the MTW campaign - the Dumnonians use Poland's flag, the Votadini use Hungary's, etc.

In that case you will only need to include them in the install if you've changed the name, or are using a mod textures subfolder :2thumbsup:

100Mb does sound a lot though, so I'd have another look to see what can be cut out :bow: It is amazing how quickly it builds up, though - new campaign maps are a killer - or duplicated ones - eg copying the Vikings folders to a MyMod folder means you have to put the maps into textures/campmap/MyMod. If there's any way you can keep it in the original Vikings folder (ie all your new faction are FN_09 upwards) then you can save quite a bit of space (40-50Mb or so).

CountMRVHS
01-07-2008, 18:11
Well I went through methodically and cherry-picked just the things I added or changed for the mod. After that, I think I compressed it all and zipped it, and it came to 3.2 MB -- quite a difference! The first time I just took whole folders over out of fear of leaving something out, so I'm sure there was a ton of extras that didn't need to be there.

We'll see if this works - I just apparently uploaded it (took about 20 mins), so we'll see if everything is there that needs to be.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions! Hopefully those of you who are interested can be playing this Arthurian-era mod relatively soon.

CountMRVHS

macsen rufus
01-07-2008, 19:07
Yes! Another convert infected with the modding bug :devil:

I shall give it a whirl once I find it :2thumbsup:

ULC
01-09-2008, 02:49
Whats it called CountMRVHS? I can't seem to find it...:help:

CountMRVHS
01-09-2008, 03:02
Well I just uploaded it a day or so ago, so I'm not sure if Tosa Inu has had a chance to look it over yet. He said he would check it to make sure it would run with his VI install, to ensure that I'd included everything that was necessary.

The file I uploaded to him was called "DarkAge.zip", since that's what I've been calling the campaign as I've been working on it on and off these past years. I'd only recently thought about making it available to other players, so I hadn't really thought about an "official" name for it. And I don't want to step on any toes with the very interesting-sounding Dark Age mod for the full MTW map! Maybe some renaming will be in order.

At any rate, we'll have to wait and see if I did everything right and actually uploaded a downloadable mod.

I'm playing as the Men of Rheged right now, & doing ok, but it's a very tough start! One big problem you face as Rheged is, the better you do in the North, the better the Romano-British do, because you're beating up the Angles for them. The RBs are now the richest and strongest, and since Arthur appeared they're looking positively frightening! Not sure I'll be able to take them down.

On the other hand, a game I played as the Scots saw the RBs get slowly crushed by the Jutes, Saxons, and Angles. That's one thing I like about the smaller map -- greater unpredictability. :yes:

CountMRVHS
01-09-2008, 16:19
Well, apparently it works, folks! :balloon2: :balloon2:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local_links.php?catid=163&linkid=572

Hopefully that's the right link.

The mod is called simply "Dark Age" as of now, not to be confused with the Dark Age Total War mod that utilizes the entire MTW map of Europe.

Tosa Inu was able to get it working and play for a few turns as the Dumnonians. I just want to make double-sure that all my "new" units made the transition to the upload, so please alert me if you simply see the same old Viking units (spearmen, archers, etc). My new units are Tryggmen, Welsh Spearmen, Welsh Dartmen, Duguth, Geoguth, Ecgum Geneatas, Hearthweru, Night Raiders, Royal Retainers, Gododdin Cavalry, Teulu, Cornish Bandits, Civitas Infantry, Sagitarii, Brythonic Cavalry, Campwr Bodyguards..... I think that covers it. Several of those are bodyguard units, so they should be fairly obvious.

Please let me know what you think! I know other changes could be made, but I'm especially interested in what you think of the gameplay. I tried to indicate difficulty of the new factions in their descriptions, so use that as a guide.

Constructive feedback, positive, negative or otherwise, would be the icing on the cake for me, so don't hold back. I hope those of you who are interested can give it a shot and post some comments here.

Enjoy!

CountMRVHS

CrazyGuy
01-09-2008, 16:57
Count,

First of all, thanks for going to that much effort for what must be a dwindling supply of players!

I'm very excited to play your mod, but I've encountered problems with playing it. I can download and extract it alright, but what do I then do. After extracting it to my M:TW folder I expected to be able to play it as if it were XL. However, this isn't the case. What am I doing wrong? Is there anything to actively install as opposed to merely extract to a folder?

CountMRVHS
01-09-2008, 18:03
Hi CrazyGuy,

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulties. I admit I'm not entirely sure what is happening there. As I don't have XL, I'm not sure how this mod would be different from XL in the installation process. To be honest, my experience with installing mods is very limited - in fact I don't think I've ever installed a mod for MTW.

When I start up MTW:VI and select New Campaign, I see the option for Dark Age (my mod), followed by Vikings, followed by Early, High, and Late campaigns. Does XL work similarly, or is it necessary to use an entirely different install of MTW?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge in this area, but fortunately, according to Tosa Inu, the mod *is* playable - which means there has to be some way for you to make it work.

If anyone here has more knowledge of mod installation than me, it would be great if they could offer their assistance -- then I could include some installation instructions with the mod info.

Any ideas?

CountMRVHS

Martok
01-09-2008, 19:50
Nice work, CountMRVHS! I may have to give this one a try. ~:cheers:

(Temporarily stickied.)

axel
01-09-2008, 22:11
woooow great CountMRVHS :jumping:

Aradan
01-09-2008, 23:19
Downloading.... I hope my MTW will be still working. (Damn, this is going to make my exam period even harder!)

CrazyGuy
01-10-2008, 00:16
Hmmm.... Everyone's praise is making me jealous. Hopefully someone can take pity on the barely computer literate... If I explain what i'm doing, perhaps someone can explain what i'm doing/not doing? Bearing in mind that my girlfriend's computer has the internet connection which adds another layer of complexity...

First I follow the link on the website and download the zipped 'Dark Ages' folder to a CD.
Then I extract the folder on my (non-internet linked) computer.
I get the option of choosing the folder to which these files are extracted. I initally get given the option of extracting to a 'Dark Ages' file but access is denied. Therefore I choose to extract these files into my Medieval: Total War folder. (A possible error here?)
After this I can view files, which I do, safely in my M:TW folder in a sub-folder called Dark Ages. Everyone seems present and correct, although my Dark Ages is essentially just notepad documents nothing to install etc.
Eagerly anticipating the Mod I load up the game, (bear in mind that my previous mod experience is XL in which the mod is just 'there' when I start up the game), I choose 'New Game', as if it were XL, and expecting an option along the lines of 'Vikings Dark Ages'. But nothing.

Please help. Also, please remember that nothing is 'too ignorant' for me in this area.

CountMRVHS
01-10-2008, 05:14
Hmm, that sounds like the kind of thing I'd do myself..... no obvious errors that I can see, but bear in mind I really only have downloaded one mod (the fantastic FATW, for RTW:BI).

It would be very much appreciated if anyone who has downloaded can post about their installation process here... Then maybe I can determine whether it's an error on my end, or something else.

Of course, any feedback whatsoever will be appreciated, exams be damned, Aradan!

I know what it's like being unable to play a mod you want, so hopefully with all the experienced people on the boards we can get you fixed up, CrazyGuy!

CountMRVHS

Aradan
01-10-2008, 17:31
I am obviously doing sth wrong here and I have to find what that is.

Downloaded, extracted the files and then took them (not the DarkAge folder, just the files that were in it) and put them inside the MTW folder. I can play the campaign just fine and with no errors but each time I try to play a battle, I get an error box with a "couldn't find hard sprites (100)" message or sth similar. I also can't play CBs. Vanilla VI and mTW are fine. Ah, also, once I right-clicked on the image of night-raiders mercs and I got an error message and a freeze. I just goit a glimpse of the message, it said sth about a card and a culture.

I guess my point here is: what have I messed up and how I can fix it?

Campaign looks very very good btw!

CountMRVHS
01-10-2008, 21:26
Ahh, thanks for the heads-up Aradan. I think I may know what's going on there.

But just to be sure, could you do me a favor? Could you try a battle (custom or otherwise) with only *standard* Viking Invasion units, such as Spearmen, Archers, etc?

When I was getting everything ready to upload, I wasn't sure how much would need to be included in the Textures/Men directory and all its various files. Basically, I only included the units that *I created myself* -- Tryggmen, Night Raiders, Teulu, etc.

Thing is, all of those "new" units depend upon images from other MTW:VI units. Tryggmen use the Slav Warrior images, Night Raiders use the Viking unit images, etc. In the various Textures/Men files, the Tryggmen unit is always accompanied by its corresponding Slav Warrior unit.

When I went to upload, I figured I didn't need to include the Slav Warrior file, because everyone already has Slav Warriors in their MTW:VI installs. But I suspect that for the mod to work I'll need to go back and re-upload, including Slav Warrior files wherever a Tryggmen file occurs, and so on and so on for all of my new units.

What I'm NOT sure of, though, is whether I need to go back and ALSO include files for all of the standard units that already exist in VI -- Spearmen, Archers, etc. That's why I was wondering if you could see if, say, a Spearman vs Spearman custom battle works or not. If not, I know I also need to go back and include the files for every unit that appears in my mod -- regardless of whether it's a "new" unit I created.

I'm glad you got the campaign to work at least, Aradan! That means it should be possible for CrazyGuy to get it to work too. Of course, the battles won't work (I'll be able to fix that very quickly, though!), but at least it'll be a step in the right direction.

CountMRVHS

CountMRVHS
01-10-2008, 21:46
One other question for everyone.

I'm going through the Textures folder, copying the corresponding "standard" unit files over to the necessary place in my mod folder. When I open up my Textures/Men/Bowman folder, for example, I see not only textfiles, but BIF and LBM files.

Do I need to include those BIF and LBM files in the upload as well?

They are not different in any respect from the BIF and LBM files that everyone has as part of their MTW:VI install. I figured, when I first uploaded the mod, that since everyone has these files I wouldn't need to include them. But now I'm not so sure.

Thoughts?

CountMRVHS

Aradan
01-11-2008, 17:01
I suppose you alreay know this by now, but I'll just go ahead and post it; CBs where only Spearmen exist do not load - they CTD. :) Good luck getting all the misisng files in the build.

macsen rufus
01-11-2008, 17:25
I've Dl'd the ZIP so shall give it a whirl tonight :2thumbsup:

Congrats on your first release. I'll let you know if any issues arise, no problem :bow:

CountMRVHS
01-11-2008, 20:01
Thanks for letting me know, Aradan!

However, now I'm wondering if it simply is a matter of installation. TosaInu *was* able to fight a battle when he tried the mod; the battle consisted of some Tryggmen and Cornish Bandits, no less -- new units that I was afraid might not work.

So the question is, how was TosaInu's installation process different from yours?

Not knowing how mod installations work generally, I'm not sure how these folders find their way into your MTW folder... in other words, does the "Textures" folder included in my mod *replace* YOUR "Textures" folder? If so, then that explains the problem, because I only uploaded *changes* made in the Textures folder - I didn't include all the necessary LBMs and BIFs, or even txt files for units that

I think I was hoping that all the necessary files and folders would somehow automatically go to the right places upon installation, and hoping that they'd "merge" themselves into the correct folders without replacing those folders. :oops:

I'm 90% sure that you could get the mod to be entirely playable if you individually copied each file into the correct folder. Of course that would mean quite a bit of tedious work, as you'd have to copy each file from the mod's Textures/Men/Actions Page directory (for example) into the corresponding Textures/Men/Actions Page directory of your own MTW install.

In simplest terms, the various files of the mod (I suspect) need to be added to the pre-existing MTW installation, rather than totally overwriting it.

The question is, is there some *simple* way to do that that doesn't involve painstaking copying? Is there some installation tool out there, for example, that is used to help?

Any experience from you MTW modders would be very helpful!

The fact that someone was able to install and play battles successfully suggests that everything necessary is included in the mod package. But if there is no convenient way for players to make the mod work, then I'll go round up the necessary files.

Sorry for the difficulties people are facing. :embarassed: I'll do my best to help make this work, as I am very eager for people to play the mod.

MacsenRufus, I'll be most interested to hear how you - or anyone else - fare with installing!

CountMRVHS

Kaidonni
01-12-2008, 00:23
Most mods I've played for TW games (well, all of them these days) use a mod installer programme, which installs the necessary files to the game folders properly, WITHOUT eliminating all other files and replacing them with only the new ones. Not sure where you can get your hands on one of these, though...

Aradan
01-12-2008, 00:53
Okies, good to know it's on my end, that means the mid is playable. What I don't get; if the files have the same name, they will overwrite vanilla ones even if I place them manually one by one. If they have different names, then it doesn't matter how I'm doing it, since they will not overwrite anything, they will just be added to the proper folders. Also, if I made a mistake during the installation, what might that be? It can't be the place I extracted the files to, since I *am* able to play the camapign... ANd it can't be a partially wrong extraction, since I have kept the folder/subfolder setup of the files. Perhaps a hardware issue with my PC? Anyhow, I'll try to work it out when I get time and let you know.

CountMRVHS
01-12-2008, 01:35
Here's something you might try, Aradan -- but feel free to disregard this if it sounds like something you've already done or know won't work!

I assume somewhere you've got a folder with all of the mod stuff in it, probably called "DarkAge". If you open that, then open the Battle folder, then the UnitIcons folder, you'll see about 18 LBM files.

Now open up your own MTW main folder, then the Battle folder, then UnitIcons. Copy those 18 LBM files from my Dark Age folder into your own UnitIcons folder. You should now have LBM files for my 18 new units in addition to all the LBM files for the regular MTW and Viking Invasion units.

Then open up the Textures/Men folder in both my mod and your own MTW folder. To save time, let's just see if it's possible to get a single one of my units to work. I'd suggest Tryggmen, since more than one faction can train Tryggmen and that way you can try a custom battle between Dumnonia and the Romano-British with a unit of Tryggmen vs a unit of Tryggmen.

So open up the folder Textures/Men/ActionsPage, and copy the file "TRYGGMEN" from my mod folder into your corresponding MTW folder.

Then open Textures/Men/Items/Shield3 and copy the folder "Tryggmen" into the Shield3 folder of your own MTW installation.

In Textures/Men/Items/Weapon2, copy the folder "Tryggmen" into the Weapon2 folder of your own MTW installation.

In Textures/Men/ToplessLoon (ha!), copy the files "TRYGGMEN_S" and "TRYGGMEN_W" into the ToplessLoon folder of your own MTW installation.

In Textures/Men, copy the file "DEADPAGE COORDS" into the Textures/Men folder of your own MTW installation.

Now go back to your main MTW folder and the main folder of my mod, and copy the file "DRKVIKINGS_UNIT_PROD" from my mod into your main MTW folder.

Then open up the Campmap folder, then the "review_panel" folder, then the "Units" folder. Copy the "TRYGGMEN" BIF file from here into your corresponding Campmap/review_panel/Units folder of your own MTW installation.

Then go back to the main folder of your MTW installation and my mod, and open up the Loc folder, followed by the Eng folder. Copy the "Descriptions" file from here into your own Loc/Eng folder for your own MTW installation.

Now, try a custom battle between the Romano British and Dumnonia involving just Tryggmen between the two of them. It seems to me that, if you didn't touch anything else in your own MTW installation (i.e., as long as those "tryggmen" files aren't the only things in there!), it should work.

Of course, you also mentioned not being able to even use Spearmen.

That seems to indicate to me that maybe my stuff overwrote your own MTW folders... because I didn't upload any information regarding the "regular" MTW:VI units such as spearmen. So if your game is looking for info on Spearmen and it looks in my mod folders, it won't find anything about spearmen at all.

The definitive test would be to check your own MTW files and see if there is anything there about Spearmen, Archers, etc. ... if not, then they have been overwritten. Which seems pretty frightening to me, because I don't know what would happen to them in this case... gone forever? :skull:

Do keep me posted. Hopefully someone else will have better luck and be able to point us in the right direction.

CountMRVHS

ULC
01-13-2008, 04:51
Hey count..dowloaded it and having been looking through it...I think I know what is wrong. It's not that you have to keep the older files on which your units are based, but rather that you lack

1) Info Pics for your units
2) You have Custom folders with nothing but the text files in them (were you modding off a mod?)

I hope that helps...

CountMRVHS
01-14-2008, 04:08
Hi, YourLordandConqueror,

Yes, the InfoPics were simply re-used pics from currently existing MTW:VI units, so I figured that, since everyone with MTW:VI would already have those pics, I wouldn't need to include them.

I wasn't modding off a mod - the Custom folders just have those text files because that was the only thing that was different about my DarkAge campaign from the usual MTW:VI campaigns.

Have you tried to play the mod, YourLordandConqueror? I'm still puzzled because TosaInu was able to play the campaign and battles with no problems. I'm obviously hesitant to spend a lot of time (with my bad dialup connection!) uploading files if it actually is possible to play the mod as is... But if it can be firmly established that I'm missing stuff, I'll certainly get it uploaded. TosaInu mentioned the following:

-you need to have a clean, patched MTW:VI install
-you need to copy every file from Dark Age into the MTW:VI install, and overwrite when the option arises.

I'm not sure if that second point indicates a different way to install the mod than some people have tried...

Ugh, very sorry about the mess getting this out to people :embarassed: . Please keep me posted, everyone, and good luck

CountMRVHS

ULC
01-14-2008, 04:25
Whenever you create a unit, it needs it's own individual infopic, I learned that the hard way, unless your actaully just redoing an existent unit, which would already be using all the relevant files, so that wouldn't matter. As to the custom files, what exactly do you mean? Were such units already based off another Unitbif? If so, they need to be put into the relevant folder, otherwise you will get an error stating that the game can't find graphics for "insert unit name". I hope I'm being helpful and not distracting.

Yes, I did indeed try your campain. It looked good, I might add, but I immediatly received a CTD when I tried viewing the infopic for Tryggmen.

macsen rufus
01-14-2008, 11:24
Ah, I confess I didn't quite get around to loading it up over the weekend - got distracted by redoing a whole set of weapon coordinates the hard way (there is no easy way, of course ~D), but what YLC says re the infopics is quite true. You can escape without reviewpanel graphics - you get a "dunk" sort of warning sound, and a "question mark" icon, but it keeps running. Infopics are more picky. Even if you're re-using them, the install needs the renamed version to be included :bow:

CountMRVHS
01-14-2008, 23:21
Thanks very much for trying to explain this stuff to me, guys! I have enough knowledge to make a mod for myself, but knowing what needs to be transferred to an upload is quite a different matter. :dizzy2:

OK, so I'll need to go back and add infopics for each of my new units, reviewpanel graphics for each of my new units.... anything else?

For example, do I need to add the relevant BIF and LBM files for *EVERY* unit in the campaign -- even "original" MTW:VI units like Spearmen and Archers? Or do I simply need to make sure these graphics exist in the upload for my new units?

Perhaps TosaInu's success was a fluke of some sort...

ULC
01-15-2008, 01:29
That should be all. Only add the things that you changed graphics wise. Did TosaInu tell you what he did? maybe it is a fluke with me...

Aradan
01-16-2008, 22:41
So it's not me?! Perhaps TosaInu didn't try to play a battle??

I hope you manage to fix and most importantly upload everything soon enough Count! ;)

CountMRVHS
01-17-2008, 14:22
Well, that's just it -- TosaInu *did* play a battle, with Tryggmen even! :dizzy2:

I may try to snag his help on this - maybe if I can get him to post in here what he did to install the mod it can be of use.

That's really the only thing that's had me hesitant to do any more uploading -- if there's one person out there who can get the mod to work relatively easily, there are only 2 options as I see it:

1) that person had an exceptionally lucky fluke by getting an incomplete mod to run, or
2) the mod is in fact working as is.

Meanwhile, classes have started up again for me this week. But I'll see what I can do tomorrow and over the weekend. Provided my internet connection cooperates, it should be pretty easy for me to get everything uploaded even in a worst-case scenario.

Best wishes to all, and thanks for your continued interest and help. :2thumbsup:

CountMRVHS

TosaInu
01-21-2008, 20:10
Hello,

I installed CountMRVHS' Darkage mod ( https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local_links.php?catid=163 ) to a clean installation of MTW patched to version 201 ( https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local_links.php?catid=164 ) and managed to play a custom battle, started a campaign using Dumnonians, had a battle after several turns using Tryggmen and Cornish Bandits.

Installation is easy and I didn't have to edit files. Just make sure that you extract the subfolders from Darkage to the MTW VI maindirectory. MTW VI doesn't use the subfolders for mods system like M2TW.

The main directory of a fresh MTW VI install looks like this:

https://forums.totalwar.org//images/mtwmod/MainMtwVi.gif

Darkage.zip opened with WinRar:

https://forums.totalwar.org//images/mtwmod/darkage.gif

Darkage.zip contains a directory Darkage and that directory contains the content. Some extraction tools and procedures (such as XP ZIP) create an extra folder Darkage around that.
Darkage.zip can be unpacked with WinZIP, WinRAR, XP zip or any other extraction tool to the desktop:

https://forums.totalwar.org//images/mtwmod/dadesktop.gif
Clicking on the new folder Darkage (and maybe again on its subfolder Darkage) will show this:

https://forums.totalwar.org//images/mtwmod/dacont.gif

Copy all those files and folders to the main MTW VI directory and overwrite when asked.

Darkage can be played.

TosaInu
01-21-2008, 20:18
I see there's a problem with missing graphics: I admit that I probably didn't review that. Yes, you need those. Not to run the mod, but if you want to do it all yes.

It's not required to upload all files again, that is when they are graphically identical to the vanilla graphics. You do need a copy of those files however. For custom_spearunit using the basic spearimages: custom_spearunit.BIF.

A BAT file can be made to create those copies. Such a file is only tens of kb large, uploading the required graphics can be tens of mb. It only needs a few seconds of running once to fix your install. I can help to make such a bat.

TosaInu
01-21-2008, 21:09
I'll write more about this soon, but not in this very topic, a quick notice though.

A BAT file is simply a text document that contains instructions for your computer. A txt document is made and then the extension is simply changed from .txt to .bat.

Here is a very basic example. Say your mod makes a new unit called MonFeudalSergeants and it uses graphics from the vanilla unit FeudalSergeants. Sure, if it's only 1 unit you can probably just copy that file, zip and distribute. But tens or even hundreds of them can increase the size of your mod by many mb. Creating a BAT file seems tedious then, but remember you just copy/paste the same instructions over and over.

Each BAT file starts like this

@ECHO OFF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\FeudalSergeants.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\MonFeudalSergeants.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\FeudalSergeants.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\MonFeudalSergeants.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\FeudalSergeants.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\MonFeudalSergeants.BIF

The BAT file has to be in the main MTW directory. The command copy tells the computer to copy something. First it tells what to copy .\Battle\UnitIcons\FeudalSergeants.LBM is the relative path to the vanilla FeudalSergeants.LBM file. Then a space is followed by where that has to be copied to. Same location, but a different name .\Battle\UnitIcons\MonFeudalSergeants.LBM .

A BAT like this is easy to make if you know the system name of the new unit and the system name of the unit it should use the graphics from. This BAT file doesn't require any userinput, so it should execute on any computer.

CountMRVHS
01-25-2008, 21:24
Hi all,

I've been unable to get online for about a week, so I haven't been able to check in and thank TosaInu for his explanations here.

TosaInu, just to be clear -- what you're talking about with the BAT files.... is this something *I* will need to do?

Also, if it helps, I can tell you exactly what units all of my "new" units are based from... For example Tryggmen are simply Slav Warriors with new stats, so they use the Slav Warrior info pic and everything else, etc.

Just let me know if there's anything else I need to do here!

CountMRVHS

queniquern
01-27-2008, 17:29
Hi I've been reading these reports and have tried to play a game but as others have found froze when clicking on Tryggmen, but using your info that they were "Tryggmen are simply Slav Warriors with new stats" I copied and renamed as Tryggmen the slav warrior info in "CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units" and "CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units" as TosaInu suggested and everything was OK until I clicked on the archers in what was Devon, then had "non existent generic filename request for unit " so I guess I have to do a similar thing for that unit too. My question is do you have a list of units you used for the new units so that I can copy and rename all the necessary bif files? Looks a great mod though and can't wait to have a game.
Queniquern

CountMRVHS
01-28-2008, 23:09
Sure, Queniquern.

In no particular order:

Tryggmen are based on Slav Warriors
Cornish Bandits on Sherwod Foresters
Keelmen on Fyrdmen
Duguth on Rus Spearmen
Northumbrian Thegns on Rus Spearmen (an odd unit that somehow snuck in there)
Night Raiders on Vikings (or, as they're called in the files, "Huscarls" or some variant thereof)
Geoguth on Jobbaggy
Ecgum Geneatas on Viking Karls
Hearthweru on Viking Huscarles
Royal Retainers on Swabian Swordsmen
Raider Cavalry are simply renamed Viking Raider Cavalry
Campwr Bodyguards on Avar Nobles
Brythonic Cavalry on Byzantine Lancers
Sagitarii on Byzantine Cavalry
Civitas Infantry on Feudal Sergeants
Welsh Spearmen on Pikemen
Welsh Dartmen on Slav Javelinmen
Teulu on Spanish Jinetes
Gododdin Cavalry on Spanish Jinetes

That should be it for units I renamed or created. Everything else would be the same as it is in VI, as follows (note there are NO Peasants in the mod, so no need to worry about them :beam: ):

Spearmen (called RoundShieldSpearmen in the files)
Armoured Spearmen
Archers
Welsh Bandits
Celtic Warriors
Horsemen (called, I believe, MediumCavalry in the files)
Royal Bodyguards (I think these are called DarkAgeKnights in the files)
Mounted Nobles (same as above, or something similar)
Pictish Cavalry
Pictish Mounted Crossbows
Highland Clansmen
Berserkers
Urban Militia
Pictish Crossbowmen
Kerns
Gallowglasses
Irish Dartmen
Bonnachts

....and I think that's essentially it, apart from siege equipment (ballista and catapults) and the ships (boats, curraghs, and longboats being the only 3 kinds of boats available in the mod).

Thanks for the interest, queniquern, and let me know how everything goes.

CountMRVHS

queniquern
01-28-2008, 23:26
Thanks for the reply, I'll look forward to working on it, but that will be in a few days as I'm away for a few days. Again as others have said thanks for the mod, personally I've never got on with RTW just prefer MTW.
Thanks again Queniquern

TosaInu
01-29-2008, 20:34
Hi all,
TosaInu, just to be clear -- what you're talking about with the BAT files.... is this something *I* will need to do?

Adding those images can make a big download, a BAT file is small. Either will be hosted.

In no particular order:

Tryggmen are based on Slav Warriors
Cornish Bandits on Sherwod Foresters
Keelmen on Fyrdmen
Duguth on Rus Spearmen
Northumbrian Thegns on Rus Spearmen (an odd unit that somehow snuck in there)
Night Raiders on Vikings (or, as they're called in the files, "Huscarls" or some variant thereof)
Geoguth on Jobbaggy
Ecgum Geneatas on Viking Karls
Hearthweru on Viking Huscarles
Royal Retainers on Swabian Swordsmen
Raider Cavalry are simply renamed Viking Raider Cavalry
Campwr Bodyguards on Avar Nobles
Brythonic Cavalry on Byzantine Lancers
Sagitarii on Byzantine Cavalry
Civitas Infantry on Feudal Sergeants
Welsh Spearmen on Pikemen
Welsh Dartmen on Slav Javelinmen
Teulu on Spanish Jinetes
Gododdin Cavalry on Spanish Jinetes

Thank you, I'll give it a try. Will post a link to the BAT here.

TosaInu
01-29-2008, 21:33
Hello,

If I understood the list right (and didn't make typos):

@ECHO OFF

ECHO Medieval - Total War
ECHO Darkage Fix Unit Graphics

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\SLAVWARRIORS.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\TRYGGMEN.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\SLAVWARRIORS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\TRYGGMEN.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\SLAVWARRIORS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\TRYGGMEN.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\SHERWOODFORESTERS.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\CORNISHBANDITS.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\SHERWOODFORESTERS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\CORNISHBANDITS.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\SHERWOODFORESTERS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\CORNISHBANDITS.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\FYRDMEN.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\KEELMEN.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\FYRDMEN.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\KEELMEN.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\FYRDMEN.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\KEELMEN.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\RUSSPEARMEN.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\DUGUTH.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\RUSSPEARMEN.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\DUGUTH.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\RUSSPEARMEN.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\DUGUTH.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\RUSSPEARMEN.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\NORTHUMBRIANTHEGNS.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\RUSSPEARMEN.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\NORTHUMBRIANTHEGNS.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\RUSSPEARMEN.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\NORTHUMBRIANTHEGNS.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\VIKINGKARLS.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\NightRaiders.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\VIKINGKARLS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\NightRaiders.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\VIKINGKARLS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\NightRaiders.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\JOBBAGY.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\GEOGUTH.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\JOBBAGY.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\GEOGUTH.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\JOBBAGY.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\GEOGUTH.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\VIKINGKARLS.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\ECGUMGENEATAS.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\VIKINGKARLS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\ECGUMGENEATAS.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\VIKINGKARLS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\ECGUMGENEATAS.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\VIKINGKARLS.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\HEARTHWERU.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\VIKINGKARLS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\HEARTHWERU.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\VIKINGKARLS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\HEARTHWERU.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\SWABIANSWORDSMEN.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\ROYALRETAINERS.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\SWABIANSWORDSMEN.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\ROYALRETAINERS.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\SWABIANSWORDSMEN.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\ROYALRETAINERS.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\AVARNOBLES.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\CampwrBodyguards.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\AVARNOBLES.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\CampwrBodyguards.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\AVARNOBLES.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\CampwrBodyguards.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\BYZANTINELANCERS.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\BRYTHONICCAVALRY.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\BYZANTINELANCERS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\BRYTHONICCAVALRY.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\BYZANTINELANCERS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\BRYTHONICCAVALRY.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\ByzantineCavalry.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\Sagitarii.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\ByzantineCavalry.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\Sagitarii.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\ByzantineCavalry.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\Sagitarii.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\FeudalSergeants.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\CivitasInfantry.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\FeudalSergeants.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\CivitasInfantry.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\FeudalSergeants.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\CivitasInfantry.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\Pikemen.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\WelshSpearmen.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\Pikemen.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\WelshSpearmen.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\Pikemen.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\WelshSpearmen.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\SLAVJAVELINMEN.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\WELSHDARTMEN.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\SLAVJAVELINMEN.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\WELSHDARTMEN.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\SLAVJAVELINMEN.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\WELSHDARTMEN.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\SpanishJinetes.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\Teulu.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\SpanishJinetes.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\Teulu.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\SpanishJinetes.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\Teulu.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\SpanishJinetes.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\GododdinCavalry.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\SpanishJinetes.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\GododdinCavalry.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\SpanishJinetes.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\GododdinCavalry.BIF

Just download http://www.mizus.com/files/files/MTW/Full_Campaigns/Darkage-FixUnits.rar or http://www.mizus.com/files/files/MTW/Full_Campaigns/Darkage-FixUnits.zip
unrar or unzip and drop the file Darkage-FixUnits.bat in your MTW VI directory used by the Darkage mod. Double click/run the bat. A screen will open to copy files. Check Battle\UnitIcons for say GododdinCavalry.LBM If it's there, you're done.

Good luck.

Aradan
01-29-2008, 23:33
Thanks for that :)

CountMRVHS
01-30-2008, 16:54
Wow, thanks for doing that, TosaInu!

Let me know how it goes, those of you who try it. :2thumbsup:

CountMRVHS

macsen rufus
01-31-2008, 11:54
Hi Count - I finally installed this last night and gave it bit of a whirl, so some feedback for you:

- Tosa's batch file worked just fine :2thumbsup: (although the link didn't work - maybe my end, I just cut&pasted from the post into a new Notepad file)

- you need to copy the new faction shields from

campmap/pieces/Units/Christian/shields

into

campmap/pieces/Units/Muslim/shields

otherwise the new factions cause a CTD on starting the campaign

- you need the full contents of your textures/men/custom0 and /custom3 folders, or you get a "Sprites failed to load" message if you try a battle with any of those units.

I've played through to approx yr 445 in the Romano-British campaign, and only had battle problems once I tried to field some Civitas infantry (one of the custom folders...). Interesting starting positions, and a nice change in the unit roster, I was getting quite absorbed :bow:

dimitrios the samian
02-01-2008, 01:07
Im so so glad this one working out so nicely for you Count !!
Its a turbulent period that Im not very familiar with but look forward to playing later .
Many thanks to Mac & Tosa here as well ,, great job guys ..
What you need to do now Count is ... " GIVE IT A NAME !! :beam:
Also Tosa how about placing this one over at the Hosted Mods forum :yes: .
Im sure it would be agreeable by all & to the mods benefit !
cheers guys
DTS

CountMRVHS
02-01-2008, 05:20
Thank you very much for the feedback, Macsen, and the kind words, Dimitrios. I'm glad people are able to make headway with this.

If there's anything else I can do to provide help in getting the units and battles all worked out 100%, let me know! Don't be afraid to be very straightforward, as the technical stuff is relatively new to me & I may not be able to tell if you're suggesting *I* do something, or if you're suggesting something for the *players* of the mod to do. I'm a bit limited in my upload capabilities but will be happy to do what I can.

Glad to hear you were having fun, Macsen - too bad about those Civitas Infantry. The Romano-British are definitely the centerpiece of the campaign, from the standpoint of gameplay, IMO.

As far as names, I'm open to suggestions! Dark Age is taken, or too close to the other mod being worked on. Arthurian is also taken by the RTW mod.

Probably should make sure my mod is more consistently playable before we worry about cosmetics, though :laugh4: .

CountMRVHS

macsen rufus
02-01-2008, 10:46
Hi Count,

As far as I can see so far, all that needs to be fixed for me is the custom folders, so if you could say which units the Civitas infantry and Gododdin cavalry (I think they're in the other custom folder) are based on (or even better, which animation folders you copied across) then this bit, and the shields could be fixed by another .bat file, which I could probably put together - then if you use it as a patch it would be a 1kb download instead of a 5Mb one...

(I feel such a dork for not thinking of using batch files for some of the copy/duplication/renaming work involved in modding before - a well timed reminder, Tosa :bow: Instead I just grumbled about "how much easier it would be in Linux" :laugh4: )

Name suggestion, only look if you want to:

"Dux Brittanorum"

It's appropriate to the era, and sort of describes the player's "quest" :bow:

EDIT: DOH! I see your earlier post saying which units the new ones are based on, I can proceed now ...

TosaInu
02-01-2008, 11:56
Also Tosa how about placing this one over at the Hosted Mods forum :yes:
DTS

Hello,

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=98099

The mod is made by CountMRVHS, he can either continue here or get a hosted forum.

Yes, I wondered about that macsen rufus. But how comes that it didn't work for any of you? I installed the same file and it has the LBM/BIF and files for the textures, or so I think to experience. You also downloaded http://www.mizus.com/files/files/MTW/Full_Campaigns/DarkAge.zip ?

Jeffe88 (a STW demo modder from 2000) used a bat file to swap files, it's a nice tool. Without him, I probably wouldn't know.

XP (and Win2000 ?) users may need to install choice.com in case choice commands are used in the bat (user input). http://www.totalwar.org/tosa/WinXP-Bat.zip

CountMRVHS
02-01-2008, 20:13
I like the name, Macsen; & I imagine most people will be most interested in the Romano-British, so that would work.

Yup, Civitas Inf are simply Feudal Sergeants, and Gododdin Cav are just Spanish Jinetes (stats may have been changed of course).

And of course there's different descriptive text in the Info pic for all of my new units... are you able to read any of that yet?

As for getting a hosted forum, I'm sure I'd have no idea how to do that, or what it involves, or what the benefits would be.

I don't see this mod as *complete* per se -- playable, absolutely (well, once we can get all the units to work), but there are still some things I might think about tweaking. Of course I'll first wait to get more feedback before plunging in and changing things. :book:

CountMRVHS

TosaInu
02-01-2008, 21:03
As for getting a hosted forum, I'm sure I'd have no idea how to do that, or what it involves, or what the benefits would be.

Hello CountMRVHS,

Say you like one. For which game, what the name and description of the forum should be and who should moderate it (you by default).

The benefit is that you can have several topics and only topics about your mod (you can have a few here too, but some may drop from from page one).

Another benefit is that you can mod topics and posts yourself and get a custom forumskin. You can also have a banner linking to your mods forum in the Main Hall (linking that to this topic is possible too).

The drawback could be that your mod is located in a forum that attracts people passing by for other topics here. A Hosted forum could be overlooked when a mod is starting up (a small shop in a busy street or a larger shop down the road?).

It's your mod, your time and your call.

Edit: location of other Hosted MTW mods: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=74

Raz
02-02-2008, 04:35
Yeah, about page one. It's already too full with stickies. You have to scroll right down just to see the most recent post. Is there any way of unclogging it without losing the few mods there are for MTW:VI? Because I know that no one ever clicks the button to go to page two. :beam:

macsen rufus
02-02-2008, 11:20
Hi Count,

I can report I successfully waged battle using Civitas Infantry last night, fighting Gododdin cavalry amongst others. I had a quick trawl through the unit_prod and found all the units using the custom folders (that custom5 was a sneaky one, didn't see that before :laugh4: ), then made a quick batch file for the necessary copies, and that's what I used to fix my own install.

Get it here (http://rapidshare.com/files/88526744/animation_fix.bat)

or cut and paste into notepad and save with a .bat file extension into your Darkage main folder:

@ECHO OFF

ECHO Darkage Fix Custom0 folder

COPY .\Textures\Men\Peasant\Peasant.bif .\Textures\Men\Custom0\Custom0.bif
COPY .\Textures\Men\Peasant\Peasant_H.bif .\Textures\Men\Custom0\Custom0_H.bif
COPY .\Textures\Men\Peasant\weapons.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom0\weapons.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\Peasant\shields.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom0\shields.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\Peasant\Housecarle_S.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom0\Housecarle_S.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\Peasant\Housecarle_W.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom0\Housecarle_W.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\Peasant\HighlandClansman_S.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom0\HighlandClansman_S.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\Peasant\HighlandClansman_W.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom0\HighlandClansman_W.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\Peasant\BallistaCrew_W.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom0\BallistaCrew_W.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\Peasant\MangonelCrew_W.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom0\MangonelCrew_W.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\Peasant\CatapultCrew_W.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom0\CatapultCrew_W.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\Peasant\Kern_W.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom0\Kern_W.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\Peasant\UrbanMilitia_W.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom0\UrbanMilitia_W.txt
MKDIR .\Textures\Men\Custom5
COPY .\Textures\Men\MSHelm\MSHelm.bif .\Textures\Men\Custom5\Custom5.bif
COPY .\Textures\Men\MSHelm\MSHelm_H.bif .\Textures\Men\Custom5\Custom5_H.bif
COPY .\Textures\Men\MSHelm\weapons.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom5\weapons.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\MSHelm\shields.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom5\shields.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\MSHelm\PictishCrossbows_S.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom5\PictishCrossbows_S.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\MSHelm\PictishCrossbows_W.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom5\PictishCrossbows_W.txt

COPY .\Textures\Men\LArmWCav\LArmWCav.bif .\Textures\Men\Custom3\Custom3.bif
COPY .\Textures\Men\LArmWCav\LArmWCav_H.bif .\Textures\Men\Custom3\Custom3_H.bif
COPY .\Textures\Men\LArmWCav\weapons.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom3\weapons.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\LArmWCav\shields.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom3\shields.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\LArmWCav\PictishMountedCrossbows_S.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom3\PictishMountedCrossbows_S.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\LArmWCav\PictishMountedCrossbows_W.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom3\PictishMountedCrossbows_W.txt

Since I uploaded that I realised I could also add in the copying of the shields I mentioned in my earlier post.... so you can also copy and paste this bit, or add it into the above (without the extra "echo" lines). Now this is a "theoretical" one - I haven't used it, I did that bit manually on my install. My one worry is that "Romano British" with a space in the middle might throw the batch file. It's always a good idea to not have spaces in file names, always use an underscore, or just run it together. You may need to rewrite the batch file so that Romano British becomes Romano%20British .... but as I can't try it out now, I can't guarantee which will work.

@ECHO OFF

ECHO Darkage Fix shields

COPY .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Christian\Shields\Vikings\ANGLES.BIF .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Muslim\Shields\Vikings\ANGLES.BIF
COPY .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Christian\Shields\Vikings\DUMNONIANS.BIF .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Muslim\Shields\Vikings\DUMNONIANS.BIF
COPY .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Christian\Shields\Vikings\GWYNEDD.BIF .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Muslim\Shields\Vikings\GWYNEDD.BIF
COPY .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Christian\Shields\Vikings\JUTES.BIF .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Muslim\Shields\Vikings\JUTES.BIF
COPY .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Christian\Shields\Vikings\RHEGED.BIF .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Muslim\Shields\Vikings\RHEGED.BIF
COPY .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Christian\Shields\Vikings\ROMANO BRITISH.BIF .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Muslim\Shields\Vikings\ROMANO BRITISH.BIF
COPY .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Christian\Shields\Vikings\STRATHCLYDERS.BIF .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Muslim\Shields\Vikings\STRATHCLYDERS.BIF
COPY .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Christian\Shields\Vikings\VOTADINI.BIF .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Muslim\Shields\Vikings\VOTADINI.BIF

Everything seems to be working on the campmap level, now, I have all the info pics, reviewpanel graphics, descriptions and translations doing what they should :bow:

Unless there's something I've overlooked (which there usually is in modding ~D) then those three batch files (with the appropriate caveats) should sort out the install.

TosaInu
02-02-2008, 14:45
Nice macsen rufus,

The LDM is updated: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local_links.php?catid=163&page=1#linkid572 and includes one bat to fix it all at once http://www.mizus.com/files/files/MTW/Stats/DarkAge_unit_fix.zip (both of macsen rufus and the earlier fix).

Or copy this text to DarkAge_unit_fix.txt and rename that to DarkAge_unit_fix.bat:

@ECHO OFF

ECHO Darkage Fix shields

COPY .\Textures\Men\Peasant\Housecarle_S.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom0\Housecarle_S.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\Peasant\Housecarle_W.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom0\Housecarle_W.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\Peasant\HighlandClansman_S.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom0\HighlandClansman_S.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\Peasant\HighlandClansman_W.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom0\HighlandClansman_W.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\Peasant\BallistaCrew_W.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom0\BallistaCrew_W.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\Peasant\MangonelCrew_W.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom0\MangonelCrew_W.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\Peasant\CatapultCrew_W.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom0\CatapultCrew_W.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\Peasant\UrbanMilitia_W.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom0\UrbanMilitia_W.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\MSHelm\PictishCrossbows_S.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom5\PictishCrossbows_S.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\MSHelm\PictishCrossbows_W.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom5\PictishCrossbows_W.txt

COPY .\Textures\Men\LArmWCav\LArmWCav_H.bif .\Textures\Men\Custom3\Custom3_H.bif
COPY .\Textures\Men\LArmWCav\PictishMountedCrossbows_S.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom3\PictishMountedCrossbows_S.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\LArmWCav\PictishMountedCrossbows_W.txt .\Textures\Men\Custom3\PictishMountedCrossbows_W.txt

COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\SLAVWARRIORS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\TRYGGMEN.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\SLAVWARRIORS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\TRYGGMEN.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\SHERWOODFORESTERS.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\CORNISHBANDITS.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\SHERWOODFORESTERS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\CORNISHBANDITS.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\SHERWOODFORESTERS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\CORNISHBANDITS.BIF

COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\FYRDMEN.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\KEELMEN.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\FYRDMEN.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\KEELMEN.BIF

COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\RUSSPEARMEN.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\DUGUTH.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\RUSSPEARMEN.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\DUGUTH.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\RUSSPEARMEN.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\NORTHUMBRIANTHEGNS.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\RUSSPEARMEN.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\NORTHUMBRIANTHEGNS.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\RUSSPEARMEN.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\NORTHUMBRIANTHEGNS.BIF

COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\VIKINGKARLS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\NightRaiders.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\VIKINGKARLS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\NightRaiders.BIF

COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\JOBBAGY.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\GEOGUTH.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\JOBBAGY.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\GEOGUTH.BIF

COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\VIKINGKARLS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\ECGUMGENEATAS.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\VIKINGKARLS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\ECGUMGENEATAS.BIF

COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\VIKINGKARLS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\HEARTHWERU.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\VIKINGKARLS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\HEARTHWERU.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\SWABIANSWORDSMEN.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\ROYALRETAINERS.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\SWABIANSWORDSMEN.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\ROYALRETAINERS.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\SWABIANSWORDSMEN.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\ROYALRETAINERS.BIF

COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\AVARNOBLES.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\CampwrBodyguards.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\AVARNOBLES.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\CampwrBodyguards.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\BYZANTINELANCERS.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\BRYTHONICCAVALRY.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\BYZANTINELANCERS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\BRYTHONICCAVALRY.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\BYZANTINELANCERS.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\BRYTHONICCAVALRY.BIF

COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\ByzantineCavalry.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\Sagitarii.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\ByzantineCavalry.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\Sagitarii.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\FeudalSergeants.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\CivitasInfantry.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\FeudalSergeants.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\CivitasInfantry.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\FeudalSergeants.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\CivitasInfantry.BIF

COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\Pikemen.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\WelshSpearmen.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\Pikemen.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\WelshSpearmen.BIF

COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\SLAVJAVELINMEN.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\WELSHDARTMEN.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\SLAVJAVELINMEN.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\WELSHDARTMEN.BIF

COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\SpanishJinetes.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\Teulu.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\SpanishJinetes.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\Teulu.BIF

COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\SpanishJinetes.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\GododdinCavalry.LBM
COPY .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\SpanishJinetes.BIF .\CAMPMAP\Info_Pics\Units\GododdinCavalry.BIF
COPY .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\SpanishJinetes.BIF .\CAMPMAP\review_panel\Units\GododdinCavalry.BIF

COPY .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Christian\Shields\Vikings\ANGLES.BIF .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Muslim\Shields\Vikings\ANGLES.BIF
COPY .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Christian\Shields\Vikings\DUMNONIANS.BIF .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Muslim\Shields\Vikings\DUMNONIANS.BIF
COPY .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Christian\Shields\Vikings\GWYNEDD.BIF .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Muslim\Shields\Vikings\GWYNEDD.BIF
COPY .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Christian\Shields\Vikings\JUTES.BIF .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Muslim\Shields\Vikings\JUTES.BIF
COPY .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Christian\Shields\Vikings\RHEGED.BIF .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Muslim\Shields\Vikings\RHEGED.BIF
COPY .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Christian\Shields\Vikings\ROMANO BRITISH.BIF .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Muslim\Shields\Vikings\ROMANO BRITISH.BIF
COPY .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Christian\Shields\Vikings\STRATHCLYDERS.BIF .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Muslim\Shields\Vikings\STRATHCLYDERS.BIF
COPY .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Christian\Shields\Vikings\VOTADINI.BIF .\Campmap\pieces\Units\Muslim\Shields\Vikings\VOTADINI.BIF

macsen rufus
02-02-2008, 15:01
Thanks Tosa - I see there's been a "word wrap" artefact in there - can you edit the spaces out of the files names? eg
...A NGLES.BIF ... :2thumbsup:

TosaInu
02-02-2008, 16:19
Thank you for spotting macsen rufus.

That was an odd one, it didn't show when editing the post. Wrapping
tags around it, fixed the artefact.

macsen rufus
02-02-2008, 18:25
:2thumbsup:

All hail the "code" tags! :bow:

axel
02-03-2008, 00:09
Hi mates
is this mod for downloading or is it still beeing a fixed ?:2thumbsup:

CountMRVHS
02-03-2008, 02:23
Thanks Macsen and TosaInu for your continued work & support!

About the ROMANO BRITISH space-in-the-middle issue, I'm wondering where I ever used "Romano British" in the files.... If I did use it, perhaps I did something like "RomanoBritish" or "Romano-British"... not sure.

I think most of the faction name things would have been done using the indicator "FN_10" for example.

Axel - You can go ahead and download the mod, but then you'll need to apply the fixes that Macsen and Tosa are providing here. If I understand what they're doing correctly, the game should work then.....

Again, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to work this out. It must be almost as tedious as making a mod yourself! :embarassed:

I'm very interested to hear what people think about things like unit balance and campaign gameplay once they start playing the mod.

Cheers all,

CountMRVHS

dimitrios the samian
02-04-2008, 00:51
Don't stop here Count .. I figure you will implement the fixes Tosa's & Mac provided into one big easy install .. cheers

macsen rufus
02-04-2008, 11:03
One last thing I discovered (and yes, I come bearing a fix...) was the Mad March Hares... noo, sorry, March Axemen ~D weren't completely implemented, so there's another wee batch file below to set up their pics, actions, etc.

@ECHO OFF

ECHO Darkage Fix Mad March Hares

COPY .\Textures\Men\Viking\VIKINGLANDSMENN_S.txt .\Textures\Men\Viking\MarchAxemen_S.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\Viking\VIKINGLANDSMENN_W.txt .\Textures\Men\Viking\MarchAxemen_W.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\ActionsPage\VIKINGLANDSMENN.txt .\Textures\Men\ActionsPage\MarchAxemen.txt
MKDIR .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\MarchAxemen
MKDIR .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\MarchAxemen
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\VIKINGLANDSMENN\CHARGE.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\MarchAxemen\CHARGE.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\VIKINGLANDSMENN\DIE.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\MarchAxemen\DIE.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\VIKINGLANDSMENN\FIGHT.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\MarchAxemen\FIGHT.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\VIKINGLANDSMENN\RUN.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\MarchAxemen\RUN.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\VIKINGLANDSMENN\STAND.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\MarchAxemen\STAND.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\VIKINGLANDSMENN\WALK.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\MarchAxemen\WALK.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\VIKINGLANDSMENN\CHARGE.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\MarchAxemen\CHARGE.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\VIKINGLANDSMENN\DIE.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\MarchAxemen\DIE.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\VIKINGLANDSMENN\FIGHT.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\MarchAxemen\FIGHT.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\VIKINGLANDSMENN\RUN.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\MarchAxemen\RUN.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\VIKINGLANDSMENN\STAND.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\MarchAxemen\STAND.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\VIKINGLANDSMENN\WALK.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\MarchAxemen\WALK.TXT
COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\VIKINGLANDSMENN.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\MarchAxemen.LBM
COPY .\campmap\Info_Pics\Units\VIKINGLANDSMENN.BIF .\campmap\Info_Pics\Units\MarchAxemen.BIF
COPY .\campmap\review_panel\Units\VIKINGLANDSMENN.BIF .\campmap\review_panel\Units\MarchAxemen.BIF

Having looked at the unit_prod, too, I discovered that they were only available to FN_02 - who are not active in the game, so from the description, guessed that should have really been FN_12 (the Romano-Brits), so made the necessary change to the unit_prod (one whole character ~D).

Since I did those two changes, I've had no more CTDs or error messages at all, and the RB now stand more of a chance against some of the heavy-infantry factions.... :2thumbsup: I've played it through to 540 AD or thereabouts (over 100 game years) and I think I've either used or fought against every unit type in an actual battle by now, and faced down a civil war and an Anglian re-emergence which followed. The other superpower now is Ireland, and they have taken most of Scotland and did have most of Wales at one point. Fortunately I have now achieved naval dominance and am slowly ridding the mainland of their green taint, but I doubt I'll be able to do it before game-end. It's been a challenging campaign, stuck in the middle of things :2thumbsup:

For some reason I have the crappiest royal family I've ever seen in an MTW game, and there's too few of them to be able to prune the tree to any great effect. I don't think a single one of them had acumen above 2, and my starting king became "inbred" in the very first turn.

I'm wondering where I ever used "Romano British" in the files

Just for the shields in campmap/pieces/units folders :bow:

One comment on unit balance etc - those Royal Retainers are monsters, maybe a 60-man unit would be better?

TosaInu
02-04-2008, 15:11
Macsen rufus, files or paths that have a space in it need to be quoted using the double:

COPY ".\campmap\pieces\Units\Christian\Shields\Vikings\ROMANO BRITISH.BIF" ".\Campmap\pieces\Units\Muslim\Shields\Vikings\ROMANO BRITISH.BIF"

@ECHO OFF

ECHO Darkage Fix shields
ECHO Darkage Fix Mad March Hares

COPY ".\campmap\pieces\Units\Christian\Shields\Vikings\ROMANO BRITISH.BIF" ".\Campmap\pieces\Units\Muslim\Shields\Vikings\ROMANO BRITISH.BIF"

COPY .\Textures\Men\Viking\VIKINGLANDSMENN_S.txt .\Textures\Men\Viking\MarchAxemen_S.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\Viking\VIKINGLANDSMENN_W.txt .\Textures\Men\Viking\MarchAxemen_W.txt
COPY .\Textures\Men\ActionsPage\VIKINGLANDSMENN.txt .\Textures\Men\ActionsPage\MarchAxemen.txt
MKDIR .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\MarchAxemen
MKDIR .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\MarchAxemen
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\VIKINGLANDSMENN\CHARGE.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\MarchAxemen\CHARGE.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\VIKINGLANDSMENN\DIE.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\MarchAxemen\DIE.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\VIKINGLANDSMENN\FIGHT.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\MarchAxemen\FIGHT.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\VIKINGLANDSMENN\RUN.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\MarchAxemen\RUN.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\VIKINGLANDSMENN\STAND.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\MarchAxemen\STAND.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\VIKINGLANDSMENN\WALK.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1\MarchAxemen\WALK.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\VIKINGLANDSMENN\CHARGE.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\MarchAxemen\CHARGE.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\VIKINGLANDSMENN\DIE.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\MarchAxemen\DIE.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\VIKINGLANDSMENN\FIGHT.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\MarchAxemen\FIGHT.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\VIKINGLANDSMENN\RUN.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\MarchAxemen\RUN.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\VIKINGLANDSMENN\STAND.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\MarchAxemen\STAND.TXT
COPY .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\VIKINGLANDSMENN\WALK.TXT .\Textures\Men\Items\Weapon2\MarchAxemen\WALK.TXT
COPY .\Battle\UnitIcons\VIKINGLANDSMENN.LBM .\Battle\UnitIcons\MarchAxemen.LBM
COPY .\campmap\Info_Pics\Units\VIKINGLANDSMENN.BIF .\campmap\Info_Pics\Units\MarchAxemen.BIF
COPY .\campmap\review_panel\Units\VIKINGLANDSMENN.BIF .\campmap\review_panel\Units\MarchAxemen.BIF

Download the updated bat, drop it into the darkage folder and run it once:
download (http://www.mizus.com/files/files/MTW/Full_Campaigns/DarkAge_unit_fixv2.zip)

macsen rufus
02-04-2008, 17:00
Tnx, Tosa :bow:

I guessed there would have to be something required - I did that fix manually, so if the batch didn't work it wouldn't have shown on mine anyway. " " makes sense :2thumbsup:

CountMRVHS
02-04-2008, 17:40
Oh no, March Axemen! :oops:

They were actually a unit I made for a *different* mod. In case anyone's curious or interested, this one is called "Bretwalda", and focuses on the time when the early Anglo-Saxon kingdoms were struggling for dominance with each other, *before* the Vikings came.

The March Axemen were a unit trainable by the Mercians (the men of the "marches"). Technically, the Northumbrian Thegns were also for that Bretwalda campaign, and trainable by the (you guessed it) Northumbrians. But they kept popping up as Merc units in the Dark Age campaign, so I figured I needed to include their stats. You'll notice that nobody can actually *train* Northumbrian Thegns. I think they're essentially Duguth (Armoured Spearmen).

So yeah, the March Axemen weren't intended for the RBs, but Mercia (FN_02). I think their descriptive text on the info panel might indicate as such, but can't remember.

But maybe making them mercenary units might be worth a consideration?

Glad to see you managed to stick with the RomanoBritish, Macsen!

Did you happen to see Arthur emerge, by the way? He would have been "Artorius", a 6-star general, who should have emerged around 480.

The Irish do like to invade, especially in Scotland. I like it; they sort of take over the Vikings' role as naval raider.

Regarding the Royal Retainers, do you mean to suggest making the Campwr Bodyguard a 60-man unit? Because the Royal Retainers are already 60 men. That might be a good idea, to give the RBs just a little edge. Thing about the Royal Retainers is they seem to be pretty vulnerable to a cav charge. Good use of mounted missile units, esp. Teulu or Gododdin Cav, can wear them down, and then when the javs are spent they can follow up with a charge that has a decent chance of doing damage (depending on the general's attributes, of course).

For the Romano-British, the Sagitarii don't come online until quite a bit later, but mercs are available and the Brythonic Cav can be useful in tandem with the Campwr. Of course it essentially comes down to a matter of holding with the Civitas Inf, flank with Urban Militia or Tryggs, weaken with archery, and hope to get off a good charge with cav from the rear -- but that can't happen if the Angles outnumber you with their good armored units.

Oh, and remember the victory conditions are different! You might be closer to winning than you think! You essentially need England and a couple provinces in southern Scotland, such as Fib. The download info has the complete list.

Good luck!

CountMRVHS

macsen rufus
02-04-2008, 19:02
Did you happen to see Arthur emerge, by the way? He would have been "Artorius", a 6-star general, who should have emerged around 480

:yes: He's the main reason the irish no longer control Wales :laugh4:

I also slapped on a nice provincial title, made him my "Campwr" and dropped a princess on him to keep him "on side". He's now an 8* skilled attacker, so well worth having.

More tomorrow, I have to go...

EDIT: re Royal retainers - I forgot to mention my game is on large unit setting so my Campwr Bodyguard are at 66 men, the Retainers at 100 - but I was suggesting reduce the retainers to the same size. If they hide in the woods they can trash anything the RB can send at them (unless you get March Axemen ~D), and in the open I never had enough CBgs in one army to deal with 6-700 of them.... and even with half the country under my sway I'm struggling to field more than 2 or 3 sagitarii.

For my campaign I've compromised on the March Axemen - left them in but only recruitable in Mierce, Hwicce, Wrocen Saeten and Guent. I hadn't noticed the lack of Northumbrian Thegns, in fact I only noticed the March Axemen because they caused the battle error everytime the "VIKING" animation was called. So, as fixed by the BAT they will still not be trainable, that needs the prod file to be tweaked.

And I'm glad to report that I've tipped the Irish into civil war, although it did result in the Votadini, Scots and Picts all re-emerging. Now to turn my attention to them furriners in the south - Jutes and Saxons....

Baron von Manteuffel
02-08-2008, 10:00
There's so many references to the download, I have no idea what I should download to make the mod work. Could you guys simplify it? Can you put one workable download link with the latest updates somewhere? The more I read, the more I get confused. Does this mod work, or is it still work in progress? ~:confused:

Raz
02-09-2008, 09:28
I've compiled the mod and it's fixes currently released into one easy installer. If anyone wants I'll try to upload it somewhere. You'll still need to open your MTW directory and run the batch files after install, however. =D

TosaInu
02-09-2008, 15:54
There's so many references to the download, I have no idea what I should download to make the mod work. Could you guys simplify it? Can you put one workable download link with the latest updates somewhere? The more I read, the more I get confused. Does this mod work, or is it still work in progress? ~:confused:

Hello Baron von Manteuffel,

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local_links.php?linkid=572

Yes, the mod works. Download the file from there and it should work (that's the file I use and it worked right away). If you do experience issues with the new units, simply download the batch file that's listed at the top there and run it once.

TosaInu
02-09-2008, 15:56
I've compiled the mod and it's fixes currently released into one easy installer. If anyone wants I'll try to upload it somewhere. You'll still need to open your MTW directory and run the batch files after install, however. =D

That's nice Raz, maybe you can use the uploader in Site Tools, I'll add it to the entry then.

CountMRVHS
02-09-2008, 20:43
Looks like you're having an interesting campaign, Macsen!

I'm curious about how you managed to overcome the initial RB difficulties -- did you go for an early strike against the Angles, or did you try to turtle & build for awhile first?

I usually turtle & then get steamed... but sometimes it works:laugh4: . When I try to go on offense early, that's when the Welsh and my Celtic "brothers" invade Hwicce or elsewhere to take a piece of me. The Brythonic Cav is a godsend against the Welsh archers, but it's hard to afford too many of those in the beginning, especially when fighting a war on 2 (or 3, or 5) fronts.

For the most part, I'd be hesitant to do anything to give the RomanoBritish an easier time, such as decreasing the Angles' bodyguard unit. I do want the RB play experience to be as brutal as possible. :skull: Of course, I play on the normal size settings, so I don't know how larger sizes would affect the battles. The March Axemen compromise sounds good to me.

Good to know Arthur was able to help you out!

If after the RBs you want an even tougher challenge, try the Men of Rheged. 2 poor starting provinces and aggressive, nasty neighbors. They do have some interesting unit options: the royal bodyguard unit is the jav-cav Teulu, and they can train Celtic Warriors and Woodsmen.

It looks like things are ironing out in terms of the download and install. Thanks for those of you who have taken it upon yourself to come up with fixes! I wouldn't have been able to do that myself - not for a long time anyway, given my schedule this spring. I hope people will enjoy the mod and let me know what they think and how it plays.

CountMRVHS

macsen rufus
02-12-2008, 11:27
I must confess my memories of the early years are already hazy :laugh4: But as far as I can recall, it was a combination of turtling and teching up as and when funds allowed, interspersed with the odd opportunistic raid on any province that went rebel or desperate attacks on neighbours when my cashflow was turning negative - "do or die" moments like this came around every ten-twenty years or so, and wise investment was a major factor, as well as picking the right enemy! Definitely a tough fight - as witnessed by the fact I had a civil war - I rarely, if ever, get them playing vanilla VI :bow: