PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been assassinated?

Tarkus
01-24-2008, 23:19
Howdy all,

I go around assassinating people and blowing up buildings right and left, but (thankfully!) nobody seems to return the favor to me :sweatdrop:. It's 223BC in my Romani campaign and I'm in northernmost Italy, Illyria, northern Africa and Iberia.

How often do you experience the sting of assassination? Or sabotage?

Tristuskhan
01-24-2008, 23:28
Assassination once or twice, performed on sick characters ("on his deathbed" is a very bad trait and my general are often, too often sick), sabotage? I don't think so...

Mouzafphaerre
01-24-2008, 23:32
IIRC you got more assassinations in BI than in vanilla. By that analogy it can be assumed that you would have a higher chance of falling victim to assassination using the BI.exe ~;p

Justinian II
01-25-2008, 00:51
Howdy all,

I go around assassinating people and blowing up buildings right and left, but (thankfully!) nobody seems to return the favor to me :sweatdrop:. It's 223BC in my Romani campaign and I'm in northernmost Italy, Illyria, northern Africa and Iberia.

How often do you experience the sting of assassination? Or sabotage?

No, I've never been assassinated actually--someone tried the other night, but I killed him. Which is why I sleep with a sword...

(serious) I've had generals assassinated by the Carthaginians in my AS campaign, actually

beatoangelico
01-25-2008, 01:06
2 of my FM has got assassinated in my romani campaign, one had even got the hale and hearty trait :skull:

marodeur
01-25-2008, 01:47
Lost one roman general to a lusotannan assassin once. Never-ever any sabotage. AI doesn't use this feature very much.

Hooahguy
01-25-2008, 02:52
just once- in my last romani campaign. i think the maks did it......

skuzzy
01-25-2008, 03:29
I usually lose a couple per campaign. I think in one campaign I lost 4 FMs over a period of like 5 years. Usually the assassinations are my own fault as I forget to couple a general with a spy. (I do play with BI if the difference noted exists)

johnhughthom
01-25-2008, 03:41
Assassination once or twice, performed on sick characters ("on his deathbed" is a very bad trait and my general are often, too often sick), sabotage? I don't think so...

For some reason i have always believed that when FMs get those traits it means the AI has tried and failed to assassinate them. Now that I think about it though I don't remember actually reading that anywhere so I may have made it up. And no, I have never had anyone assassinated.

NEver
01-25-2008, 03:54
I haven't plauyed EB long enough for it to happen but in my carthage campaign in good old vanilla I had one assasin trying to assisinate me continuously and loosing skill everytime he failed till eventually he died trying. I've had one sabotage before and one bribed settlement. That's about the only interesting things I've had happen diplomatically. Every now and then spies but they do nothing.

LorDBulA
01-25-2008, 07:37
How often do you experience the sting of assassination?

Very often in the late game.
It seems to happen when I kick enemy ass.
Then they try to assassinate my great general. And they succeeds because I always forget to add spies to my general amy, well until they assassinate my greatest general.

Then I use spies to protect other generals.
But from time to time it happens that I loose spy in a city and bang another general bites the dust.

pezhetairoi
01-25-2008, 07:57
Only once in nine campaigns...

Tellos Athenaios
01-25-2008, 08:49
Never. Then again: by the time the enemy actively deploys assasins I've got always a couple of those guys in my service too...

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
01-25-2008, 08:51
I've had them try. With that 30 second attack, kick the ground, look around, then stand-there-for-no-reason animation every single turn. Though, I don't believe I've every had the enemy succeed.

konny
01-25-2008, 11:31
I usually don't have assasinations save for one campaign as Sweboz when I had lost three FMs in four turns when invading Italy. The killer must have been some Ethan Hunt or Max from "Dark Angel" because even three spies were not able to detect him.

Chris1959
01-25-2008, 11:49
Twice, both in Romani campaigns.

One was an old FM trvelling alone!

The second was rather neat, I bribed an Aeduii army to disband it and got the leader as I moved him back to my lands he was taken out the very next move. I thought that was very cool.

Thaatu
01-25-2008, 16:25
I've never been assassinated, and I hope I never will. I want to live.

Tarkus
01-25-2008, 16:32
Interesting...seems to happen more to the Romani than any other faction(!?), but overall pretty low frequency. I guess we should all praise the gods for such fortune...

I also realize I should be more diligent about bringing spies (and assassins?) along with my legions on campaign...I'm quite sloppy about that and don't want to get burnt...

Pezlu
01-25-2008, 18:25
Interesting...seems to happen more to the Romani than any other faction(!?)

Actually, if you look in the "What factions have you played 1.0 campaigns as?" poll you'll see that romani are by far the most played faction, so the frequency may be just the same but, since they are more played, more people notices assassinations in romani campaigns

Bonny
01-25-2008, 19:20
In my 1.0 Karthadst campaign the romasn have used assasins rather aktively and effectively

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1787501&postcount=12

Ayce
01-26-2008, 12:38
Assassinated, no. Bribed, yes.

The_Mark
01-26-2008, 17:30
I've never been assassinated, and I hope I never will. I want to live.
The threat title was begging for a line such as that one.

johnhughthom
01-26-2008, 22:10
The threat title was begging for a line such as that one.

"Threat title"?

So you think he's going to come and assassinate us all then?

Tarkus
01-26-2008, 22:33
JHT -- Time to cut The_Mark a bit of linguistic slack...

And yes, Mark -- Thaatu's response is right on!!

johnhughthom
01-26-2008, 22:40
Sorry, was only a joke. Guess I should have used a smiley or something to make it plain :laugh4: :beam: better late than never.

Tarkus
01-26-2008, 22:53
Sorry, was only a joke. Guess I should have used a smiley or something to make it plain :laugh4: :beam: better late than never.

Cool...your Finnish is probably about as good as mine :no:, so a little sensitivity now and then never hurts...:2thumbsup:

The_Mark
01-27-2008, 15:55
I need no frickin' linguistic slack. I want my errors pointed out (though trivial typos are, well, trivial); I've got standards to uphold. I'd rather be treated as someone on (textually [I know my pronunciation and other vocal communication won't stand up to a native by far]) equal linguistic footing with a native, and I daresay that most of the time, when reading my texts, you can't tell me from a native. Admittedly though, I've been slacking on my language studies for a year or so.

"Threat title"?

So you think he's going to come and assassinate us all then?
A fair remask. :bow: I'm not of the type to anger over wordplay, though I understand Tarkus's point as Internet forums and forumgoers tend to be quite flammable. Luckily, the .Org is generally quite a pleasant environment with plenty of cool-headed people ready to douse sparks.

Tellos Athenaios
01-27-2008, 19:11
...you can't tell me from a native. (...) A fair remask.

Shall I or shan't I? :grin:

The_Mark
01-27-2008, 19:23
I rare you. :wink:

Mouzafphaerre
01-27-2008, 21:47
Go talk Dutch ye shameless Außländer! :whip:

johnhughthom
01-27-2008, 21:58
I need no frickin' linguistic slack. I want my errors pointed out (though trivial typos are, well, trivial); I've got standards to uphold. I'd rather be treated as someone on (textually [I know my pronunciation and other vocal communication won't stand up to a native by far]) equal linguistic footing with a native, and I daresay that most of the time, when reading my texts, you can't tell me from a native. Admittedly though, I've been slacking on my language studies for a year or so.

A fair remask. :bow: I'm not of the type to anger over wordplay, though I understand Tarkus's point as Internet forums and forumgoers tend to be quite flammable. Luckily, the .Org is generally quite a pleasant environment with plenty of cool-headed people ready to douse sparks.

Glad to hear you weren't offended.

Reverend Joe
01-27-2008, 21:58
I haven't plauyed EB long enough for it to happen but in my carthage campaign in good old vanilla I had one assasin trying to assisinate me continuously and loosing skill everytime he failed till eventually he died trying.
That sounds like the premise of a really bad "Pink Panther" style comedy.

johnhughthom
01-27-2008, 22:04
I have hired one assassin in the entire time I've been playing EB. He ended up with a skill of -3 and after at least 25 failed assassination attempts where he always escaped. I stuck him in a boat and attacked a huge pirate fleet just to get rid of him.

Tarkus
01-27-2008, 22:45
I need no frickin' linguistic slack.
:laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4:

Well said, Mark...you shall be treated as an equal as always. Having traveled pretty frequently to Sweden and a couple times to Finland, I am always humbled by the great command of English throughout the region -- and a little embarrassed by our inability to return the linguistic favor...

As you said, I really didn't want this thread to degrade...but maybe it already has (with my own contributions)!!!

Anyway...thanks again to all for your great advice re: the original point of this THREAD...:balloon2:

Barbarian
01-28-2008, 01:12
Doesn't seem that AI uses a lot of assassins in EB. I have only had a sabotaged building this far. :7ninja:

Good Ship Chuckle
02-05-2008, 18:10
I have had a general be assasinated, while he was besieging the city. The assasin came from with in the city and killed him. I was greatly dismayed.

Cyclops
02-07-2008, 00:27
I'd lose a few generals every campaign. I've never had sabotage in EB, and rarely in Vanilla.

In EB I find the AI sends assassins when you start to get big (or maybe its when they get big?).

I find I lose a handful of generals in a few turns until I tighten security (ie add a spy to his stack).

I guess what happens is the AI sends assassins against high ranked opponents. Most die trying but if one suceeds and starts gaining skill he can get on a roll and snuff several of my gguys, and thats when I notice him.

I suspect some of my "natural causes" deaths have been assasinations that I just didn't detect.