PDA

View Full Version : Miserable Settlements

Ed TW
02-22-2008, 23:10
Hey,

Is there any cheat at all that will turn those blue and red faces back to green? I love the total war series, but this is the most annoying aspect of the game. -
Ever since I got Rome. The population happiness thing just kills the game for me. Seems like I'm doing more for the population then building cash cows or cities for war machines. I hate it.:skull:
I know that killing off a reconquered town takes too long to grow back.
But sometimes the population just can't be made happy so I
have to put them to the sword. Maybe it's just me, and I don't know how to run the settlements.

lonck
02-23-2008, 01:39
you can mod buildings to give happiness. Dunno about cheats.

Monsieur Alphonse
02-23-2008, 07:00
add_population "city" -10000

Or build more buildings that improve public order; town hall, church, barracks, brothel, spy, garrison.

Askthepizzaguy
02-23-2008, 10:30
There is only one way to manage those malcontents.

Build a large garrison, then leave the city. When they declare their independence, you declare war on them and lay seige. Then when you take the city back, sack it. If it happens again, exterminate them.

Use your pillaging florins to rebuild your vital garrisons and city walls, and let the rebellious fools return to their farmery. Raising crops is for the weak and enslaved anyway.

The Wandering Scholar
02-23-2008, 15:39
A good governer will help.

Guru
02-23-2008, 18:26
A good governer will help.
And a bad one will make things even worse. Sometimes it's better to keep the governor out of the city. They often cause religious unrest and so on...

Rhyfelwyr
02-23-2008, 22:46
Remember there's 5% happiness for every chivalry helmet your governor has.

Also don't build Taverns etc, they may appear to give happiness bonuses but they will soon give you dread characters with the unpoplar and alcoholic line of traits.

Askthepizzaguy
02-24-2008, 01:36
1. Promote a MESS of captains. If you have public order problems, chances are your empire is vast. Need a bunch of high chivalry governors?

2. Go on a crusade or jihad with about 10 generals or more in the same stack. All young, vital, and not very drunk or corrupt... yet.

3. Take the crusade target quickly with all your generals in that stack.

4. BOOM. Instant +5 chivalry for all your generals, including the join crusade bonus... could get up to 9 or 10 chivalry on most of them if they began with any!

5. Ship them back to your capital and boost your trade provinces.

knoddy
02-24-2008, 03:32
if its that annoying to u just go into ur files and mod like the town watch (like second lv town building that lets u train militia) to give a 100-200% happiness increase. u will never have to worry bout happiness again in towns :D

lonck
02-24-2008, 08:49
you can just mod settlement_mechanics and mod distance to capital line that way there will be no unrest because of distance of capital which is the main reason for unrest if empire gets too large.

ReiseReise
02-24-2008, 15:22
It is not just Chivalric governors who help with happiness. Dreadful governors give the same 5% bonus for each point of dread. Although it is is not happiness, it is "fear". In any case, the best governors are ones who have EITHER high chivalry or high dread. There is no advantage to having a 'neutral' governor (or general for that matter). Chivalric governors actually have a slight disadvantage in this particular case because they also give a +0.5% growth per point of chivalry, so the settlement will grow larger and become even more unruly.

It is VERY important to note, that when you first capture a settlement, it gets a +unrest 'bonus' (visible in city details) which will decrease happiness 10-40%. It disappears after a few turns but it can be a big hassle while it lasts. The unrest depends on what action you take when you defeat the city. Occupation gives largest unrest, Sack gives medium, and Exterminate gives the lowest. Equally likely, it could be that the unrest depends on the population size, in which case Exterminate gives the lowest unrest 'bonus' simply because you only have 25% of the population left. In any case the outcome is the same in terms of happiness: Exterminated cities are easier to keep under control. I have never taken the time to figure out which one is the triggering cause.

Yoyoma1910
02-24-2008, 20:59
Have you tried the "Dunkin Donuts" building mod? That tends to both improve happiness and law (more constables I guess), but it lowers the health of your population.

Otherwise you could try being nice to the people, and do things like build churches or administration buildings. People love administration buildings... because I guess it helps them get their government checks easier?

Mek Simmur al Ragaski
03-02-2008, 21:37
I find that looking at what is causing the problem in the settlement details thing helps, if there is religious unrest build a chapel and mass produce priests, if they simply hate you, leave the settlement, let them declare independece, then exterminate their sorry asses, im having no rebels in my kingdom, not even a single farmer :clown::whip: :egypt::whip::smash: