PDA

View Full Version : Roman Cohorts Maniple Animation?

KRIEG
02-26-2008, 01:13
I'm not sure this would be something anyone has already done, or if it even CAN be done, but I thought a cool mod would be allowing a unit of, say Legionary Cohorts, to maniple the front ranks back thru their own lines, thus constantly rotating fresh soldiers.

I have absolutely NO idea how the guts of the game work so I dont know if each individual solider has his own health, or if the game randomly drops men as the unit takes damage as a whole, etc.

And I don't know if this sort of thing can be scripted, then added into existing units or if a modder would have to redo all code for units etc. I just thought it would prove a fresh project for someone out there.

The only real visual example I can find is from the show Rome. from HBO.
youtube.com/watch?v=xODx3UJ7W7I

Anyhow, I'd appreciate, at the least a response from someone letting me know if this is even a possible option. Thanks guys.

Foot
02-26-2008, 01:53
Impossible to do. No way to differentiate animations within a unit with any consistency.

Foot

Watchman
02-26-2008, 02:40
Plus that idea Rome uses has to be one of the more dodgier looking concepts I've seen in a while. It's not like those battle scenes are exactly marvels of choreography or historical reconstrution anyway...

TWFanatic
02-29-2008, 18:01
You must admit that it's better than then cave trolls and orcs/immortals from 300. All things considered, I thought the battle scenes from Rome were far superior to most of Hollywood's. Shame there weren't more.

Decimus Attius Arbiter
03-01-2008, 22:17
Granted, that maniple animation is based on a new theory that I've only seen in one new book. Shoot me, I forgot the name. But it makes more sense than the whack-a-mole theory with the first and second lines moving up and down. In reality, they probably couldn't maintain that order without getting the runs from the stress.

Watchman
03-08-2008, 21:16
You must admit that it's better than then cave trolls and orcs/immortals from 300.Well yeah, but being smarter than an earthworm doesn't yet make a hamster a particularly clever animal if you know what I mean. Doesn't require much.