PDA

View Full Version : Any chance of alliance with Romans?

DerekBaker
03-01-2008, 19:50
I'm playing as Britannia; is there any point attempting to ally with a Roman faction?

Thanks.

TruePraetorian
03-01-2008, 20:03
Depends. Do you want it? Need it?

Who is the Superpower at the moment. If the Romans are expanding towards you, then an alliance would be best...seeing as they are very rich and very powerful. Then, when you are strong enough to attack them, do so in force, and go strait for their main production citys (Rome for example).

Quirinus
03-01-2008, 20:03
Yes, definitely. You will most probably have common enemies-- the Gauls and Germans, and you won't have borders with them for a long while. So I don't see why not.

DerekBaker
03-01-2008, 21:04
The Brutii are hammering the Germans, and have already blockaded one of my ports.

The Julii are in Spain.

I'm moving south through Gaul and am close to conquering it. Suspect that shortly I will be squished between the two.

Quirinus
03-02-2008, 07:05
In that case I'd say accelerate your conquest of Gaul and take on the Julii as quickly as you can, so that you do not get bogged down in a deadly two-front war with the Romans. The Brutii shouldn't be a big threat to you as the Julii-- the German settlements are poor, in taxes and in population. It'll be a while before they send anything more advanced than hastati at you.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
03-02-2008, 08:41
As a general rule, if you share borders, war is inevitable - regardless of your diplomatic treaties. It can be slowed down through regular gifted tributes and similar favourable items though.

As non-Roman factions, it's often a good strategy to try and initiate a blitz on Italy as urgently as possible - hopefully before an Imperial Place has been built there. This prevents the Romans from gaining their reforms and leaves them with their own old fighting model still in place which is a lot easier to deal with. This is easier as nearer factions than ones further away.

If the Romans have already had the reforms though, Italy is not really as important. It's still a good idea to cripple the Romans before they can phase out their old Marian armies, although this doesn't have to be done too quickly since full Marian integration takes a while.

~:)

DerekBaker
03-02-2008, 16:19
Thanks for the replies.

Already noticed that my fears were overstated. My armies have performed well against both Roman factions.

I've knocked out the first Julii territory in Spain, entered Northern Italy and am looking to move forward in Northern Europe.

Spartan198
03-04-2008, 00:56
Romans always seem to denounce any alliances and start unwinnable wars with me. That's how I became "the Scourge of Rome".

Omanes Alexandrapolites
03-04-2008, 08:05
Romans always seem to denounce any alliances and start unwinnable wars with me. That's how I became "the Scourge of Rome".I do think the Roman factions, even under the AI, are subject to senatorial orders and missions which probably explains why they are more liable to backstab than some other faction.

Somewhere on the senate's scroll, there is a list of the floor's opinions of other factions. If they get to a certain low stage they begin sending out missions against them.

The senate's opinion of them always seems to deterriorate if they share borders with a Roman faction. This eventually, as said, leads to demands for military action to be taken against them. This is regardless of tributes, current status and/or whether they are in any way a threat.

It's a shame really - especially if your paying them a large sum each year to be freindly towards you.

Paradox
03-04-2008, 19:16
Not that I'm contradicting what you guys have been saying, but in my Dacian campaign, the Romans actually welcomed me to Rome. They offered an alliance, and in return, I had to attack Gaul. So I attacked Patavium with my faction leader and after taking it, I handed it back to the Romans. I'm playing 'horde' here so I don't really have a home. I have a full stack army at Egypt who recently occupied Alexandria, which, ironically; is the weakest Egyptian city at the moment. So I've settled in the Balkans as my homeland and took over former northern Macedonian lands.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
03-04-2008, 19:35
That's interesting Fahad I - I've never seen the AI demand that you attack another faction before.

Quirinus
03-05-2008, 10:44
How do you make certain that the AI accepts your gift of settlements? It rarely works, for me-- in one game, I offered four cities to various factions, but only the Seleucids accepted my offer of Pergamum. Even Syracuse was rejected by the Scipii, who then promptly stormed ungarrisoned Syracuse the next turn and hence declaring war. :wall:

Omanes Alexandrapolites
03-05-2008, 18:13
How do you make certain that the AI accepts your gift of settlements? It rarely works, for me-- in one game, I offered four cities to various factions, but only the Seleucids accepted my offer of Pergamum. Even Syracuse was rejected by the Scipii, who then promptly stormed ungarrisoned Syracuse the next turn and hence declaring war. :wall:I'm really tempted to say that its 100% random, or at least their logic isn't always visable to the player's eye. Also the military machine is said to be partially detached from the diplomatic machine, which further adds confusion over why they made their choice.

In the past though, I've had limited success in offering regular tributes along with my offers. I'm not sure whether this was simple luck or was actually helping the AI make a more informed choice.

On the topic of settlement give aways, in my second ever R:TW game, I made the mistake of offering my entire empire, by accident, to Carthage. I actually intended to ask for all their empire in exchange for a ceasefire and see what happened. Regardless, they accepted my accidentally proposed proposal and all of my settlements but one (the capital) ended up in their hands. In my rage at this mistake, I blitzed them all in my fury the next turn.

:wall:

Emperor Mithdrates
03-05-2008, 20:20
I'm playing as Britannia; is there any point attempting to ally with a Roman faction?

Thanks.

ROMANS ARE SCUM!

ally yourself with gual, greece and cartage.

these are romes main enemy. Rome hardly allys withanyone. they think there all that, and they are the best. prove them wrong. wipe them out.
"Burn Rome, Burn it, burn it all."
:hmg:

Quirinus
03-06-2008, 01:22
In the past though, I've had limited success in offering regular tributes along with my offers. I'm not sure whether this was simple luck or was actually helping the AI make a more informed choice.

Aiieee.... I should have known. :laugh4: So they need a regular income for them to agree to grasp the lifebuoy thrown to them. :whip:

"Burn Rome, Burn it, burn it all."
Ave, friend. Roma est delenda! :skull:

(At least when I'm not playing as the Romans.)