PDA

View Full Version : cant train gunpowder units?

portrei
03-02-2008, 05:07
Ive been playing a campaign as the Portuguese and I havent been able to train any gunpowder units, just cannons. Is this a problem with the 1.2patch, or maybe because of the use of cheats throught the game? Any suggestions as to fix this problem. I have been able to get musketeers as mercenaries but thats all. Thanks to all, and viva medieval war!

WhiskeyGhost
03-02-2008, 05:37
Ive been playing a campaign as the Portuguese and I havent been able to train any gunpowder units, just cannons. Is this a problem with the 1.2patch, or maybe because of the use of cheats throught the game? Any suggestions as to fix this problem. I have been able to get musketeers as mercenaries but thats all. Thanks to all, and viva medieval war!

Make sure you have the proper buildings. The first mistake a lot of people make is thinking gunpowder troops come from castles, when in reality they come from Cities most of the time.

portrei
03-02-2008, 05:45
Thanks I was actually thinking they were coming from the castle. I have Lisbon as my most advanced city. I probably must upgrade to a university I suppose? I think I might just uninstall the game, and download the patch again if I cant train gunpowder units

lars573
03-02-2008, 06:03
Have you progressed to the gun powder event yet?

WhiskeyGhost
03-02-2008, 07:04
Thanks I was actually thinking they were coming from the castle. I have Lisbon as my most advanced city. I probably must upgrade to a university I suppose? I think I might just uninstall the game, and download the patch again if I cant train gunpowder units

It's usually in the 'garrison' line of buildings where you get militia from, and also you need to gunpowder event (as stated by lars)

Monsieur Alphonse
03-02-2008, 09:10
You need an army barracks or a royal armoury.

ReiseReise
03-02-2008, 10:27
If he can build cannons and hire musket mercs, then the gunpowder event has already passed so that is not the problem. Like others said you probably don't have high enough barracks.

Note that there is an in-game building browser that lets you see all the buildings available (even if you can't build it yet) and what units come from them (however it does NOT show gunpowder infantry units before the gunpowder event, although you can still see the cannons at any time). You can view it by opening up a city or castle, then clicking the green icon in the very lower left corner.

Once you have the screen for a certain building, if you right-click on the recruitable unit's name you can even see its stats. I found this out after a year of playing the game, :smash:

portrei
03-02-2008, 19:09
Alright, then I probably should just keep upgrading the cities and advancing through the barracks buildings. It just felt weird being at the end of the game and not having any gunpowder units

lars573
03-02-2008, 19:29
Depending on the faction your first gunpowder unit will come from a huge city barracks or if you get handgunners first a large city barracks.