Thread: How are the Mongols doing in your campaign?

Default How are the Mongols doing in your campaign?

I'm playing with Scotland now and I'm 180 turns or so in the game. I have expanded carefully and built myself an elite army but when I lifted the fog of war with "toggle_fow" I saw that my empire was well overclassed by the Mongols. Ever since they arrived they have expanded ruthlessly, annihilating the Turks and Egypt. The entire Middle-East is under their control and loads of Mongol stacks roam the Levant. I'm glad that they are far away from my safe Highlands. I assume they'll end up as the most powerful faction when the year hits 1530 (=end of the game). My question now is: how are they doing in your campaign? Are they the dominant power in the Middle-East? Have you fought them? And how do they cope with the Timurids?

In my campaign the Mongols have a strong empire. The only immediate threat to them... are the Timurids. That's a bit ironic since the Timurids are supposed to be a danger for the islamic factions (including the territory of Anatolia). Now they arrived in the mountains of Armenia with several full stacks and they are constantly battling the Mongols even though historically Timur admired Genghis and claimed his legacy. I would bet on the Mongols since the Timurids haven't managed to capture a single city in ... what, 60 years? They arrived in 1362 or so and it's now 1432. And the Mongols have a large army to browbeat them into submission...

Btw, with all those armies there I don't think a christian crusade is ever going to succeed in capturing Jerusalem, hah.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Default Re: How are the Mongols doing in your campaign?

Which armies are which in that screenshot? Mongols are gold, Timurids black?

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

I havent met them yet, as the Scotts, Spanish and English. I saw one army flash past the edge of the FOW, but it may have been Egyptian. They dont seem interested in Acre :P
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

First off WHOA now thats a pretty bug empire and Id be a little afraid of them. Second I have to ask can Factions re-emerge in M2 or is it like RTW once they are gone are they gone, another question is when you kill a faction that some one is allied with can you get an alliance with there old enemy, and sorry one more question Is the pope killable and what happens when you take over the Papal States if factions re-emerge is he as annoying as before?

Thanks sorry for all the questions I get the game Tomorrow and Im a little hyped
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    When you find yourself sinking into madness, Dive!
    WE WANT A...............DEMO!
    This message is brought to you by the Demo Legions. If you have the Demo remember this, We will find you!

Senior Member Senior Member wraithdt's Avatar

The Papacy cannot be destroyed at all. If the Pope loses his last province he'll just go insearch of a new one by requesting it from other Catholic nations. Whoever complies to his pleas will win great favor from the pope.

Hellpuppy unleashed Member Subedei's Avatar

The Mongols kick in pretty heavy I think. The Turks had to deal with them on their eastern border...I guess that is why Byzanz moved their armies to their Ottoman border...and i guess that is why I [HRE] am going to move some of my soldiers to the Byz border to "take care" of some of their territories in the meantime.

Go Ghengis...Go Ghengis....
    “Some may never live, but the crazy never die” (Hunter S. Thompson)

In my campaign they don't do anything at all.
    IIRC they appeared in turn 82 or 83, it's now turn 104, and they've just been walking around in Eastern Russia a bit.

Nice to see them perform so well. And, for your info: the Timurids battled the Mongols, or actually what was left of the Mongol precense in Europe: the Golden horde.

Senior Member Senior Member Jambo's Avatar

In my campaign as the Scots, the Mongols also expanded well, but they went North rather than South. I must admit my knowledge of the map isn't great to the South, but they've mashed the Russians and the Poles mainly.
    =MizuDoc Otomo=

Well, I was surprised at the size of the Mongol horde when it arrived. Surprised and somewhat terrified - my fledgling eastern empire which was won by crusading is in severe danger of being trampled under the hooves of many many Mongol ponies!

The horde moved up and down the coast of Jerusalem for a few turns, laying siege and then moving off - I was initially a bit concerned, but eventually they did decide on a target, and I lost Antioch to 4 stacks (I was kind of hoping the siege AI would be as ineffective as it was in BI with the Huns, but I'm pleased to say they trounced me), and now my fortress to the north of Antioch (who's name escapes me at the moment) has just survived an attack, but will surely fall at the next.

I did discover a bit of a cheesy/gamey tactic with English longbowmen when defending sieges - sometimes when you deploy them, their 'plant stakes' icon becomes active - you can put them behind the gate and deploy their stakes = instant Mongol cavalry shish-kebab. However, this seems to be a bit random, as in a previous siege the longbowmen only had the fire arrow ability available during deployment - this could be seen as a bug rather than an exploit, but it does give the English a huge edge when defending against cavalry heavy siege armies.

Question Re: How are the Mongols doing in your campaign?

Just out of curiosity, when exactly (what date?) do the Mongols appear in the game.

Am playing the Turks at the moment, seeing off Egyptian/Byzantine/Crusader armies with relative ease and from what I read of the Mongol faction by other posters it seems I may need to make peace with them before the Mongols arrive.

Hellpuppy unleashed Member Subedei's Avatar

Round 1206 you will get the info, that old Ghengis is summonming his horseys in the steppes & about 10-15 turns later [in my game] he comes knocking on the door round the Caspian Sea [If I remember correctly].

I would love to play them....but maybe I will have to fight them pretty soon....who knows.

Off to get some more balista towers ontop of my town walls.....
    “Some may never live, but the crazy never die” (Hunter S. Thompson)

Which settlement do they first attack?

I've seen their generals hovering around Baghdad, all in seperate but empty stacks LVL 6-10 the lot of them!

In my game the message said Yerevan.

In my Russia campaign they arrived near Sarkel. After just walking around for more than 40 turns, they attacked Moscow, and then rapidly conquered everything all the way up to Poland.

Caged for your safety Member RabidGibbon's Avatar

According to the warning - Here come the mongols message they can come form either the north or the south of the caspian - or to put it another way anywhere on the eastern side of the map. That might explain why the mongols in the intial post have made an empire in Turk land, whereas in other campaigns (including mine) they trample all over the russians. Like someones already mentioned, they do seem to hang around for an awful long time before settling, although I've found that once they do settle down they quickly expand.

In my venice campaign they've destroyed the poles, have the last of the Russians holed up in Finland and broke the back of the Danish Baltic empire. There just starting on my best of enemies Hungary now.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

The Mongols are doing absolutely nothing in my campaign. They have 8 full stacks and all are clustered together moving an inch or two west one turn, followed by an inch or two east the next turn. Repeat that for 70 turns and you have my Mongol horde. The only exception to this is when one stack besieged Yerevan (Turkish) shortly after they arrived. It went rebel during the siege, and the Mongols then abandoned the attack and resumed their dance of boredom.

In my campaign they are the strongest and largest faction, closely followed by the Timurids. I think they almost whiped out Russia and the Timurids are giving the Moors and Egyptians hell. I am Spain so I couldn't care less! :D

Master of Puppets Member hellenes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    The Mongols are doing absolutely nothing in my campaign. They have 8 full stacks and all are clustered together moving an inch or two west one turn, followed by an inch or two east the next turn. Repeat that for 70 turns and you have my Mongol horde. The only exception to this is when one stack besieged Yerevan (Turkish) shortly after they arrived. It went rebel during the siege, and the Mongols then abandoned the attack and resumed their dance of boredom.
    Exactly my campaign Mongols....
    BTW I believe Ogadai is drinking too much....
    Impunity is an open wound in the human soul.

ΑΙΡΕΥΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΝ ΑΝΤΙ ΑΠΑΝΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΙ ΚΛΕΟΣ ΑΕΝΑΟΝ ΘΝΗΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΔΕ ΠΟΛΛΟΙ ΚΕΚΟΡΗΝΤΑΙ ΟΚΩΣΠΕΡ ΚΤΗΝΕΑ

The best choose one thing in exchange for all, everflowing fame among mortals; but the majority are satisfied with just feasting like beasts.

Default Sv: How are the Mongols doing in your campaign?

Last time I checked the Mongols controls the middle-east.
    They started out in Jerusalem which they conquered very easily then just expanded.
    They have pushed both the Turks and Egypt out(they are now in Russia) and destroyed the Byzantines.
    Timurids are there too but have no idea how things are going for them,

Default Re: Sv: How are the Mongols doing in your campaign?

My mongols are aimlessly wandering around in the anatolian mointain passes after I blocked their way to Antioch with 2 armies at the northern bridge to it.

Till now they only sacked one castle in anatolia I know off, and picked up single straggling units, but they neither engage my forces at the bridge nor move around them nor attack somewhere else. At the moment they are gradually moving north again...maybe they will accomplish something in the long run, but they definetly take their time!

Post Re: How are the Mongols doing in your campaign?

Anyone got recomendations on how to deal with them? Am playing a mostly HA armies so I suppose my usual tactics won't work?

My mongols are doing just fine thanks!

They have consistently been the biggest military power in my England game for ages now.

Have yet to see any yet - am sca red to toggle_fow
    Look what these bastards have done to Wales. They've taken our coal, our water, our steel. They buy our homes and live in them for a fortnight every year. What have they given us? Absolutely nothing. We've been exploited, raped, controlled and punished by the English — and that's who you are playing this afternoon Phil Bennett's pre 1977 Rugby match speech

I wanna be a real boy! Member chunkynut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KhaderKhan
    Anyone got recomendations on how to deal with them? Am playing a mostly HA armies so I suppose my usual tactics won't work?
    Stay behind your walls and hope they don't have seige engines, if they only have seige equipment then their foot soldiers are crap, only thing thats worked for me so far without having pretty bad casualties .... and that didn't actually really work as they took my 2 middle eastern regions.