Thread: Neoncats Guide to handle priest/imams

Finland, that country full of penguins. Especially the ones called Tux.

Default Neoncats Guide to handle priest/imams

Neoncats Guide to handle priests/imams

Contents:
    1. Some words first
    2. Something about priest/imam units
    2.1. Catholics
    2.2. Orthodox
    2.3. Islamic
    3. Retinue
    4. Traits, conversion and denounce
    5. Priests/imams strategy in game
    6. Last words

1. Some words first

Hi I am Neoncat and this guide will tell you something about priests and imams. I don't include heretics and pagans as they aren't playable in vanilla.

Back to contents

2. Something about priest/imam units

2.1. Catholics

Catholics have three different kind of priests. They are:

As you have cardinals your cardinals can be elected to became pope. When your cardinal gets elected you will lose your cardinal. However your reputation with pope will get nice boost.

Back to contents

2.2. Orthodox

Orthodox have only priests. They should have bishops like catholics, but theres a bug which prevents you from getting bishops. After orthodox priest get more than 5 piety, they cannot fall into heresy.

Back to contents

2.3. Islamic

Islamic factions don't have second special unit for imams. So they get only imams. After imams get more than 5 piety, they cannot fall into heresy.

Back to contents

3. Retinue

First of all theres some ancillaries(retinue) that priest can get. Lets see what they can get, when you should get them and why to get them.

As you can see unfortunately most ancillaries in this list apply only for orthodox and catholic factions. We can see also that...

You should stay stationary for 4 turns after your get your priest/imam, if you are on region with 70% or more your own religion to get a monk. As you can see from the list above you won't get monk if your priest have royal seminarian. However even imams get monks.

If your priests get killed all the time, it should be good to get knight crusader by going into region with crusading target city. Unfortunately you can't do this with orthodox and islamic factions.

Back to contents

4. Traits, conversion and denounce

(Notice that I am not listing all traits you can get with your priests/imams. I didn't see any reason to list all of em.)

Starting traits:

So your have now your priest/imam. What you can do with it?

With priests/imams you can do 2 things. They are:

1. Convert people to your religion
    2. Denounce('Kill') heretics

For conversion you shouldn't send only one priest/imam to fight other religions. If you do your priest/imam can get minuses for piety and will be easier to turn in heretic. Right way to convert people is use small groups of priests/imams. Their strong faith trait will rise when you can convert more than 10% of people per turn. However you will get first strong faith trait only for 3 first turns on region, which you are turning. After first strong faith trait it will be 5 first turns. After that you can get missionary trait, if you can get your own religion in the region 95% or over. You will also get nice bonuses if you convert regions with heresy. Trait you can get is purifier trait. Note that more there is another religion than yours religion shift will be more if you send your priest to convert people there.

Traits to gain:

Then the denounce. You can denounce heretics by clicking them with your priest/imam selected. After that pop-up will tell you percentage to success and let you denounce them. More you have piety more easier it would be to denounce heretics. However theres always chance to fail. Failing can mean 2 things. Lose of piety with bad denouncer trait or even lose of your priest/imam. When you lose your priest/imam it will convert to heretic. So watch out those low percentages. On the contrary when you success denouncement you will get piety bonus with good denounce trait. There were somewhere that more orthodoxy your priest/imam have less it have chance to fall into heresy.

Back to contents

5. Priests/imams strategy in game

Number of priest you can have is limited to number of churches you have. Cities with church lower than abbey/minaret masjid will support only one priest and cities with abbey/minaret masjid or higher will support 2 priests.

You should leave few priest/imams on your land to defend your regions from heretics and all other priests should go and start converting other religions lands. Of course if you only leave your newbie priest to defend your land you can get nothing but troubles when heretics invade your lands. You should get few of your more experienced priests/imams to protect your land after they have done some conversion job.

If you have to defend your own land for another religion, don't just sit and try to fight back with your own priests/imams. Way to get rid of them is to go spread your religion in their region so they have to defend it. Its really hard to win conversion battle because more your religion is there less you will convert people and otherway around. Of course one way is to use assassins to take out that priest/imam which is corrupting your soil.

For the theologians guild you should concentrate your priest/imam training into one city at the beginning of game. After you get head quarters you can start training priest in other cities/castles as you will lose only one piety, if you don't train them in city where head quarters are located. Unless of course you build first level theologians guild in city where you want to build your priests/imams.

Back to contents

6. Last words

I tried to write only few things about priests/imams. However my nature didn't let me finish after I got some more ideas about to write. So this guide got bigger... bigger... bigger... Yes, and I know my english skills aren't that good and many of you may find lots of typos and language errors in my text. I just hate how they make games with manuals that are good only for lightening up fireplace. Theres so much in this game unexplained. I hope I did lightened even some of that shroud of darkness. Yah, its me Neoncat. I am out for now, but remember the Neonbits... (I just had to) ;D

Back to contents

------------------------------------
    And yes, you may put this on "M2TW Guides" part on these forums, if you see that this guide is good enough to be there. This will guide will be at least on my site too. No I am not going to tell you where it is. :)
    Last edited by Neoncat; 01-09-2007 at 06:39. Reason: Fixing some copypaste stuff
    Neonbits will rule the world of gaming! \o/

Leasing Mercenarys in Italy Member Sir_Hawkwood's Avatar

Default Re: Neoncats Guide to handle priest/imams

Great guide, Neoncat, and, as you mentioned it, in perfect English too...

So there really is no point in putting your holy men with your armys?

Best regards
    SJH

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Hawkwood
    Great guide, Neoncat, and, as you mentioned it, in perfect English too...

So there really is no point in putting your holy men with your armys?

Best regards
    SJH
    No point what so ever. Unless you got a very poor memory and can't remember to move them. :) Someone said that it affects the inquisitors success rate on the general but never showed the code for it, so..

Nice guide, Neoncat - particularly the section on when/how to get good traits/ancillaries.

I think there's something wrong here :

Quote Originally Posted by Neoncat
    2.3. Islamic
    Islamic factions don't have second special unit for imams. So they get only imams. After orthodox priest get more than 5 piety, they cannot fall into heresy.

"That's what we need : someone who'll strike the most brutal blow possible, with perfect aim and with no regard for consequences. Total War."

Finland, that country full of penguins. Especially the ones called Tux.

Quote Originally Posted by Ars Moriendi
    I think there's something wrong here :
    Fixed...

And holy men in army doesn't give/get any bonuses or whatsoever(Except minuses for moving range, for example when you are on crusade/jihad. Somehow bonus for moving doesn't seem to apply for agents.). I can't say anything about inquisitors. There wasn't anything about them in any file. Only CA can tell us do they help us to save our generals from getting burned on stake. What I have experienced is that they still can kill your generals even if you have whole army of holy men with you.

Of course some reverse-engineering can reveal all about the game, but I not doing it. Even if I could. :)
    Neonbits will rule the world of gaming! \o/

Confiscator of Swords Member dopp's Avatar

A few more observations, based on the traits file (assuming the triggers are all working properly):

1. The trait gain of priests after creation is determined to a large extent by the religion shift in the region where he is stationed. Spending time in a region where the religion shift is high (8% or more) can increase the piety of the priest significantly. This is why it is best to use priests together in groups, especially when they are still inexperienced. Building religious buildings can also help.

2. Spending time in a region where the population has been 95% converted for 10 turns or more and the religion shift is still above 10% will give priests the coveted missionary trait.

3. Hanging around heretics makes priests unorthodox. Burn them before this happens.

4. Spending time a region where less than 40% of the population follows his religion can also make a priest unorthodox. Spending time in a region where 85% or more of the people are believers makes him dogmatic (good trait).

5. In a similar way to missionary, priest who spend time in a region where heresy has been virtually elminated will pick up the purifier trait. I usually move my priests off immediately once the heresy is elminated, so I never get to reap the rewards, so to speak.

6. Cathedrals promote priests to bishop. However, an error in the code prevents Huge Cathedrals from doing the same. Another error or omission in the triggers makes it impossible for Orthodox priests to become bishops, even though the Orthodox factions start with bishops. Becoming a bishop gives +1 piety. The priest also gets religious training and is less likely to turn heretic (dogmatic trait).

7. Promotion to cardinal for a Catholic priest gives +2 piety (if he was a bishop then it is only +1 piety). The cardinal stand a chance of gaining up to 3 levels of warlike or peaceful when he is promoted. The game also randomly calculates whether the cardinal is a righteous or corrupt man. He will gain or lose up to 3 points of piety depending on the result. However, another error in the script mixed up the Corrupted trait line (for priests) with the Corrupt trait line (for RTW governors and stuff), so the cardinal cannot become corrupt if you play the vanilla game.

I don't understand the secondary traits... Violance? Elegebility? What do they do?

Violence etc. affects Inquisitors trait when/if the priest becomes pope.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Talking Re: Neoncats Guide to handle priest/imams

This is a GREAT guide. I definetly learned stuff here.

Is there a fix available for the Orthodox priest and also is there a fix available for the Grand Catherdral ?

Many thanks for the guide.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

Definitely a prospect for the guides section. Excellent.
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

I have heard and experienced that if you have a priest in a general's stack, an inquisitor will always attack that priest first, giving your general an extra turn to get away from the inquisitor. So if an inquisitor roams your land, it does come in handy to add a priest to the general's company.
    Hebban olla uogala nestas bigunnan hinase hic enda thu

Excellent guide, with a ton of stuff I didn't know. Definitely should be stickied in the Strategy Guide section.

I'm ALT+TABing all the time to read this before I move my priests ! I found it by chance searching for other stuff... it was waaay back there. Defintely needs a sticky.

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Very well done
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Very nice, indeed. I'll talk to sapi about stickying this.

EDIT: Have contacted Froggy to see if she'll be so kind as to add it to the Guides section.
    Last edited by Martok; 04-21-2007 at 04:29.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Hey Martok, Thanks !

Anyone.... Is there a fix available for the Orthodox priest and for the Grand Catherdral ?

Nice work. I've added a link to this in the guide forum's table of contents.
    Last edited by frogbeastegg; 04-21-2007 at 20:48.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Talking Re: Neoncats Guide to handle priest/imams

Thank you very much for your attention, dear Lady Frog.
    Last edited by Shahed; 04-21-2007 at 21:26.

Is it fixed in unofficial 1.2?
    That's a shame.

;------------------------------------------
    Trigger agents43a
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition not AtSea
    and AgentType = priest
    and TimeInRegion > 4
    and TimeSinceHeresy < 5 >= 10
    and PopulationHeretic < 5
    and ReligionShift > 10

Affects Purifier 1 Chance 100

;------------------------------------------
    Trigger agents43b
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition not AtSea
    and AgentType = priest
    and TimeInRegion > 4
    and TimeSinceReligion > 95 >= 10
    and PopulationOwnReligion > 95
    and ReligionShift > 10

Affects Missionary 1 Chance 100
    These are the triggers for Purifier and Missionary traits. Can someone explain them for me? My instinct is to say for 43a for instance, that the priest must be in the region at least 5 turns, have 10 turns passed since heresy went below 5% (not necessarily caused by this priest though - this condition is settlement-based), still have less than 5% heretic, and have a religion shift of at least 10. The question comes up with ReligionShift, probably. My first thought was it is the percent of ground your religion gained that turn. If ReligionShift is only good for one turn though, then these 2 trait lines would be basically impossible to get... so I must be making bad assumptions about ReligionShift. The docudemon description isn't exactly helpful. ReligionShift is... total percentage of conversion in your favor for the full length of time the priest has been in the region, then? That's the only way I can think of that those triggers would be possible to get and make sense.

To be clear, if priest A has been in the region while your religion went from 44 to 65%, the ReligionShift for that priest would be 21? If priest B joins the party late, say at 52%, he'll have a different ReligionShift? Would it be 13 since he went from 52 to 65?

Some comments on ReligionShift would be a good idea, as it seems like a hard concept to figure out just from looking at game files and reading tips, and is integral to most aspects of using priests/imams effectively.

See my Sig+ below! (Don't see it? Get info here)

In the early years, I tend to lump a bunch of priests in with an army thats going out. It does slow down movement a little, but it's so much easier to toss 5+ priests into an army stack for one easy movement, as opposed to dealing with each priest individually, and any obstacles in their way.

Excellent guide!