Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Orders and reports thread

Chretien Saisset Senior Member OverKnight's Avatar

Default Re: Chancellor and governor reports

Sad news from the Levant:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Hero of Nicaea died peacefully in his sleep. The Reich is lessened by the loss of such a geat warrior. I have received a message of condolence from Emperor John, it seems Dietrich is a hero of two Empires. I am at a loss for words.

The Hungarians have declared war on the Byzantines. A large Magyar army is outside Constantinople.

It seems the Church moves quickly, an Inquisitor has been spotted east of Adana. The reason I know this is:

The more things change, the more they stay the same. I am outraged that one of our priests who has risked life and limb to join us on Crusade was put on trial for heresy. At least the farce ended in Father Ritter being found innocent.

A Merchants Guild has been built in Marseille.

Sir Hummel and his Crusade army have embarked at the port of Genoa. The fleet now nears the Sicilian straits.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 05-07-2007 at 17:40.
    Chretien Saisset, Chevalier in the King of the Franks PBM

1190 continued

The Crusade is now north of Acre. Half of the Crusade will besiege the castle in the new year, the other half will move on to Jerusalem.

A diplomat has been dispatched to Corsica. He will be able to meet with Pope Pisanus next year.

Another diplomat has met with Captain Zavid, the leader of the small Russian force that has trespassed near Thorn. We exchanged map information, and we will provide the Russians with a stipend of 100 florins for 10 turns. I hope this will discourage them from attacking. I do not fear them, but they are valuable trade partners, and I would not wish to lose that income.

Speaking of Thorn, I have dispatched our newest priest, Henry von Nassau, north from Budapest to assist Cardinal Herden in converting the heathen.

I am aware of the call for peace from some members of the Diet. I will meet with the Milanese and the Polish in the next few years. Other nations will follow depending on the location of our diplomats. I have had informal talks before, and the results were not encouraging. Still, I will make the effort.

I have given my mid-term report to the Diet:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...&postcount=484

I await word on three battles:

Breslau is ready to be assaulted by Steward von Kastilien. . .

He has taken the town.

Count von Hamburg has engaged some rebels north of Magdeburg. . .

The latest band of rebels have fallen to his sword. The Count will now make his way toward Stettin.

Prinz Jobst accompanied by Friedrich Scherer will attack the rebels southwest of Nuremburg. These scum have been troubling the Reich since my term began, and I will be glad to see them crushed. . .

Prinz Jobst did crush them, with extreme vigor I might add. Friedrich Scherer has been knighted for his part in the melee.

It seems that the large Polish army northeast of Breslau, led by Captain Zygmunt, is now on our land. They must be destroyed, I have ordered Duke von Kastilien into battle once again. . .

The Polish are routed, while there are a few random stragglers, none of their forces remain in the Reich.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 05-09-2007 at 20:59.

Two of our young noblemen have come of age:

Helmut von Hamburg at Magdeburg and Elberhard, the Kaiser's youngest son, at Rome.

A Theologians Guild has been built in Milan at the request of Cardinal Otterbach.

Hungary has joined the Crusade. A Hungarian army that was visible from Budapest, led by Istvan, has marched out of view to the east.

We are now known as the most advanced Faction in the world.

Our two flotillas of Holks returning to Genoa after transporting our diplomat to Corsica were attacked by the French. Our fleet was victorious and Admiral Nikolaus is now known as a competent sailor.

A large Egyptian force led by Captain Youseff is now directly south of Acre. It seems the Saracen will not give up their Fortress without a fight.

I have taken a good part of the Crusade Army and engaged the Egyptian relief force while Count Hans besieges Acre. . .

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...2&postcount=60

I have utterly destroyed the relief force, I await word from Count Hans about the assault on the fortress. . .

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...5&postcount=61

The Count has taken Acre. The way to Jerusalem is open!
    Last edited by OverKnight; 05-10-2007 at 11:02.

1192 continued

Leaving a garrison in Acre, the rest of the Crusade has laid siege to Jerusalem. Even though the city is only held by an Egyptian nobleman and his retainers, I want as many of our troops as possible to take part in the completion of our Holy task.

News of our entry into the province of Jerusalem has reached the Pope, our relations with him have improved back to outstanding.

A fleet of ships has departed Venice for the Holy Land with 5 priests, 2 merchants, a diplomat and a spy.

Duke von Kastilien has returned to Thorn with his army. He will rest and rearm his troops while keeping an eye on those wayward Russians. If the Poles make a move toward Breslau, he will be able to respond.

Count von Hamburg has chased down some bandits north of his home city. I await word of the battle. . .

The latest band of rebels has been routed. They were 555 in number, going up against 1086 of course. They were all killed or captured, and 106 casualties were sustained.
    I hope the Count's demonstration of the Reich's might will not be lost on the Danes.

Duke Leopold has engaged even more rebel scum north of Zagreb. If destroyed, there would be no bandits left in the Reich, or at least until next year. I await word of the battle. . .

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...0&postcount=62

The Duke has crushed them. He will move on to our new frontier with Hungary to build watchtowers.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 05-11-2007 at 15:01.

Three units of Polish Nobles have besieged Stettin. I am confused on how they plan to batter down the gates from their horses, but I have sent Count von Hamburg and his son to relieve the city.

Two Polish armies have appeared in the eastern part of the province of Thorn, I have sent Duke von Kastilien to hunt them down.

Following Duke Leopold's instructions, I have declined a Theologians Guild for Vienna.

Hungary has used the pretext of the Crusade to take Constantinople from our ally. We have done all we can to save that city from infidels, yet a Catholic nation has seized it. This is dark news.

France and England are now at war, this is good news. The Moors and Byzantines are now fighting, this is bad news, since we are allied to both of them.

The Pope was pleased that we fulfilled his predecessor's request that we cease hostilities with the Venetians.

Sir Hummel's Crusade fleet is now southwest of Cyprus.

While the new Swabian Household Army is being fitted out in Staufen, Prinz Jobst has returned to Dijon, while Steward Scherer has gone to Metz.

The Heretic Pontius has been denounced by Cardinal von der Pfalz outside of Rome. The apostate has seriously damaged the faith of the area, and the Cardinal will remain to repair this.

Dire news from Adana:

I find their lack of faith disturbing. I will recruit new forces to replace them.

The rest of the Crusade, led by Kaiser Henry, is ready to assault Jerusalem. I am sure the world awaits word of this battle. . .

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...1&postcount=64

The Crusade is victorious! Jerusalem is freed from the infidel! The Pope was most grateful for our efforts:

I have crushed the remnants of the relief army. The survivors were ransomed for over 1,000 florins:

Last edited by OverKnight; 05-12-2007 at 01:00.

1194 concluded

At the urging of Kaiser Henry our diplomat in Corsica has approached Pope Pisanus with the offer of Jerusalem in exchange for an alliance:

Jerusalem is the new Papal States and they are our allies. I had to give them 4,000 florins on top of Jerusalem to agree to it. They will need the money anyway to help defend their new city:

What an odd garrison, I suppose it was the best they could scrape together. Public order is now very low in Jerusalem (40%). We shall see what the new year brings.

Order has returned to Jerusalem after the handover (75%).

Ansehelm von Kastilien has come of age in Thorn:

Denmark is now at war with Russia and Scotland.

England and Portugal have declared a truce.

Hungary is now the most advanced faction.

With our holy endeavor over, there are two ex-crusader armies in our territory. I hope the Scots and English will leave our territory peacefully, Duke Leopold will keep watch over them:

I have again approached Pope Pisanus with a proposal, this time concerning military access:

The proposal was accepted, though I find paying to better protect our new allies somewhat vexing.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 05-13-2007 at 04:40.

1196 continued

Sir Hummel is now a year away from making landfall in the Levant. I'm sure his arrival will be a surprise to the Egyptians.

The Poles have retreated from the Thorn region. Duke von Kastilien has taken up position on the bridge south of the castle.

The five holks of the Imperial Fleet based out of Genoa have won a victory against a Milanese fleet off of Corsica. They can't invade us if they don't have any ships.

Steward Scherer has joined the rejuvenated Swabian Household Army on the bridge southwest of Metz. He has done this with my full knowledge and consent.

I engaged a force of Egyptian spearmen that had come south near to Acre. Lacking cavalry or bowmen they were easy pickings, I killed or captured all of them. The Egyptians refused the ransom offer this time, and the survivors were put to the sword:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...1&postcount=65

Count von Hamburg has broken the "siege" of Stettin. He has pursued the Polish Nobles and brought them to battle. I await word of the result. . .

Quote Originally Posted by FLYdude
    The skirmish is over. Of the three enemy cavalry groups, two were surrounded and annihilated, and the third, although being attacked from all sides, managed to slip away in part. Of the 181 enemy, 135 were killed or captured, with an offer of ransom not being accepted. The survivors retreated toward Poland. 93 casualties were sustained from an initial strength of 1012. Just how much would a giant wall from Thorn to Prague cost, do you suppose?

Finally, Helmut von Hamburg has been knighted on the field of battle.

Count von Hamburg.
    A good jest by the Count. With men like him we don't need walls.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 05-12-2007 at 03:47.

We have found and executed a French spy in Marseille.

I declined to build a Thieves Guild in Bern.

We are now the most advanced faction.

The Polish forces that retreated from east of Thorn are now directly across the bridge from Duke von Kastilien, but are in their own territory.

The French have sent a large army under a Captain to their border with Metz. It is close to the Swabian Household Army commanded by Steward Scherer.

Admiral Nikolaus has engaged and defeated a French fleet southwest of Genoa. He is now known as a fine officer.

It seems Egyptian reinforcements have rushed in from their eastern provinces:

Count Mandorf will hold tight for now in Adana while he continues to reinforce.

Kaiser Henry and Count Hans have marched north from Acre with all the full strength units in the area. They have reached the border with Antioch, but cannot engage the Egyptians this year.

I have stayed behind in Acre with the units that still need to be refitted. I will also keep an eye on Jerusalem.

Sir Hummel has landed in the Levant, southwest of Antioch. I have sent him to engage an army of Egyptians that crossed the ford from Aleppo. I await word of the battle. . .

Ulrich has defeated the Saracens and now holds the ford to Aleppo. I have sent the Teutonic Knight's from the Kaiser's army to reinforce him.

Count von Mahren has embarked on two flotillas of ships that will return to Venice. The remaining three flotillas from Sir Hummel's former fleet have blockaded Antioch.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 05-14-2007 at 13:45.

Many Egyptian armies are massing around Antioch and Aleppo, with a small force threatening Acre, but they did not attack:

A Turkish spy appears to have infiltrated Adana, the population is still content however.

The Turks and Russia are now allied.

Scotland and England are now at war.

We have been ordered by Pope Pisanus to cease hostilities with France for 14 years (7 turns). It seems he took offense that our Genoa fleet was attacking their ships. If we do not comply our standing will fall with him.

Prinz Jobst has a new son, Athalwolf.

Kaiser Henry's bodyguard is now an official part of his retinue.

My term is now over, I have sent a final report to the Diet, it will arrive shortly.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...&postcount=496
    Last edited by OverKnight; 05-14-2007 at 16:01.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Build queue for Bern:
    1: Finish Paved Roads
    2,3,4: Council Chambers
    5,6,7: Blacksmith
    8,9,10: Abbey

Following guilds may be accepted:
    Swordsmith, Horse breeder, Mason, Theologian, Merchant, Assassin, Teutonic

Build queue for Acre:
    1: Finish Garrison quarters
    2,3,4: Communal Farming
    5,6: Leather Tanner
    7,8,9: Knight's Stables

Upgrade to Citadel when available. [OOC note: even when its still building another building, you can select citadel and drag it to #1 position of the queue without losing progress]

Acre may only accept Swordsmith guild
    Last edited by FactionHeir; 05-15-2007 at 13:21.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Build Queue for Nuremburg:
    Large Stone Walls
    Cathedral
    Mines

Build Queue for Adana:
    Practice Range
    Archery Range
    Blacksmith

Adana may accept a Teutonic Knights Chapter House and a Swordsmiths Guild.

Build Queue for Innsbruck:
    Archery Range
    Armourer
    Irrigation

Build Queue for Bologna:
    Communal Farm
    City Hall
    Warehouse

Build Queue for Florence:
    Fairground
    Warehouse

Build Queue for Marseilles:
    Council Chamber
    Abbey
    Communal Farm

BHA Orders: The Army is to be commanded by Gerhard Steffen. The Army will defend Bavarian lands and engage any enemy forces that enter our territory. If Edict 8.1 passes, the BHA will be made available to enforce the edict if a peace agreement cannot be reached. At all other times, the Army will be quartered in Marseille to assist in the pacification of the city.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 05-16-2007 at 05:56.

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Build Queue Venice:

Economics my Dear Kaiser. Anything you wish, but please focus on Economics and Goverment Builds. I leave it to your judgement.

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Build Queue for Dijon

Ballitsa Towers

Any other upgrades to the City

Also build any economical building you wish Chancellor.

I also do not mind what Guilds you build in Dijon.

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Order for the Swabian House Army

A defensive war is to be fought with the French until the excommunication threat ends. Should the French send an army larger than 1000 men or an army with one general greater than 3 command stars within our borders, that army shall be swiftly destroyed and the Swabian House Army shall make a fast forage within French territory to conquer one province bordering the House of Swabia. The province with the least garrison shall be attacked.

Once the excommunication threat ends, the Swabian army shall attack the most undefended settlement bordering Swabian lands regardless of whether the French has made an intrusion.

The army shall be stationed currently at the bridge south of Metz

Orders for Staufen:

1:continue irrigation
    2:continue
    3:jousting fields
    4:continue
    5:barracks
    6:continue
    7:continue
    8:continue
    9:stable
    10:continue

I understand that Staufen is close to becoming a Citadel soon after which I would wish the current building to be completed and then the Fortress upgraded to a Citadel
    Last edited by TevashSzat; 05-17-2007 at 00:30.
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Tax levels in Vienna, Prague and Budapest are to be set to Very High.
    Happyness is to remain above a blue face. This overrides any tax settings.

Build priorities Vienna
    :
    Merchant Bank
    Great Market
    Mining Network

Please begin with whatever building the current treasury allows.
    Vienna will not accept a guild house from the following guilds:
    Assassins' Guild, Thieves' Guild, Explorers' Guild, Theologians' Guild

Build priorities Prague:
    City Watch
    Fairground
    Brothel

Should funds be too low, go ahead with the brothel as its cheap to build.
    Prague will accept any guild.

Build priorities Budapest:
    Printing Press
    Merchant Bank
    Militia Drill Square

Build priorities Ragusa:
    Chapel
    Blacksmith
    Jousting Lists

I will not add further constructions, as I'm pondering to convert Ragusa into an efficient Trade Port. This depends on the outcome of peace negotiations with the Venetians though.
    Ragusa will accept any guild.

Orders for the Ducal Army:

Duke Leopold will lead the Ducal Army.

The Army will be positioned in the Southwest of the Budapest region where the Paved Roads cross into Croatia. Duke Leopold although nominally leading the Household Army will stay in Vienna. Should a threat arise to either the Eastern or Southern border the Army will move out immediately to counter it.
    Should Edict 8.7 pass and the Venetians refuse the peace offer, the Household Army will move south to destroy and exterminate Durazzo.
    Last edited by Ituralde; 05-17-2007 at 10:03.
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

The tax levels in all cities are to be set as high as possible, until the risk of riots grows to great (read, until happiness levels sink bellow the blue face).

Now for the building queues:

Stettin

church
    brothel
    town guard.

Frankfurt

merchant bank
    printing press
    tavern.

Thorn

armourer
    siege works
    jousting lists

Magdenburg

paved roads
    armourer
    archery range

Breslau

Inn
    ballista maker

Hamburg

merchant's wharf
    mining network
    market
    city watch

Funds should be allocated in the following order:

Frankfurt
    Hamburg
    Thorn
    Magdenburg
    Stettin
    Breslau

Guild are accepted in all cities, but I am leaving it up to the various governors of the settlements to decide where their priorities lie in that field.

The Household army orders are as followed:

The army is to be commanded by Duke von Kastillien and shall wage an aggressive war against the Poles, destroying all enemy armies en route to Krakow. A city which we shall take. For the taking of this city, and for dealing with the missile cavalry heavy Poles, I urge the chancellor to re-enforce the household army with catapults, and some cavalry, be it light or heavy.

Krakow will be attacked, and put under siege for some years. I am willing to starve out the city unless attacked by Polish re enforcements, or by the trapped Poles in the city.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Fredericus Erlach Member Stuperman's Avatar

Build que for Genoa:

I'm not going to give specific orders just that the chancellor should focus on missle type military and economic buildings

(OOC: I'm at work for several more hours and don't have access to the game till later tonight, I'm looking for pavise crossbowmen [if they can be built in cities] and then economic buildings [ports, trader types, banks/printing press, farms in no particular order].)
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

Member Member 5 Card Draw Champion, Mini Pool 2 Champion, Ice Hockey Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion Northnovas's Avatar

Building queue for Zagreb

After the chapel

1. Paved Roads
    2. Convert to City

As a agreed that Ragusa will the main Fortress for the area.
    Last edited by Northnovas; 05-18-2007 at 14:33.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

End of year Chancellor’s report, 1200 AD

My Lords,

I write to you outside of Antioch, on the eve of a climatic battle. Three Egyptian armies are poised to strike. I ask for your prayers for Count Hummel and our men in the struggle that is to come. One way or another, tomorrow will decide the fate of the fledgling state of Outremer.

And, no, I won’t be autoresolving this one…

Since assuming the office of Chancellor, I have immersed myself in the minutiae of office. I remain profoundly impressed by the strength and stolidity of the Reich as bequeathed by my Duke Otto and his predecessors. Nonetheless, I have identified a few concerns.

(1) Our armed forces are generally backward - with many regiments of unarmoured sergeants, peasants and militia. Only the Swabian Household Army consists of top of the line regiments - dismounted feudal knights, pavise crossbowmen, armoured sergeants and mounted knights. I have decided to embark on an extensive recruitment programme to upgrade all Household Armies to this standard. This year alone, I have recruited seven regiments of dismounted feudal knights, two regiments of pavise crossbowmen, three regiments of armoured sergeants and three regiments of mercenaries (Turcopoles). After negotiation with Duke Kastilien, I have authorised the construction of an archery range in Thorn so that the Franconians may benefit from the construction of steel arbalests. All this recruitment has meant I have had precious little money to spare for the economic investments I emphasised in my manifesto, which leads me to my second concern.

(2) Our finances - although showing a healthy net income of 20000 florins - are inadequate to meet all the construction plans of our governors. I would like to increase this surplus, so that I can authorise more of your build queues. The only way I could envisage increasing this surplus in the short run was a programme of retrenchment. This is doubly necessary given the future increase in upkeep from the military recruitment already reported on. To this end, I have disbanded twenty seven regiments of militia and peasant missile troops, ten regiments of peasants, seven of sergeant spearmen, five of mercenaries and four regiments of knights. Inevitably, this retrenchment leaves our forces leaner and our borders more lightly guarded which brings me to my third point.

(3) I am concerned that our large interior has no mobile force to police it and more generally that we lack a strategic reserve. Consequently, I have ordered Prince Jobst to begin training the nucleus of an Imperial Army. This will be available to respond to any emergencies such as a rebellion, a Polish incursion in the east or a new war in the north or south. My immediate concern is with the powerful ex-crusader armies of England and Scotland currently travelling deep in our interior. In the longer term, I believe it is right and proper that the Reich have its own standing armies, similar to Household Armies. These might appropriately be led by the Chancellor, the Kaiser and the Prince. If this initiative is successful, Prince Jobst and I may propose such legislation at the next Diet. However, I do not wish to go down in history as a war fighting Chancellor but rather an architect of a new Pax Romana. This leads me to my fourth and final concern.

(4) Diplomatically we are on poor terms with all but the Papacy. In accordance with recent edicts, Milan was offered peace for 5000 florins and just rejected it; Venice was more defiant in its rejection of peace for 4000 florins. I confess I am at a loss to know how to improve our standing, although breaking our alliance with the Moors will surely lower it further. Presently, I am inclined to increase the offer to Milan and postpone breaking out alliance with the Moors - although I recognise both moves may be opposed by some in the Diet. I would hear your views on this matter.

I trust the above has provided you with information on our progress and some food for thought. Now, I must turn now back to the matter at hand and prepare for battle.

Kaiser Henry

Chancellor’s Report, 1202 AD

My Lords, the victory at Antioch has unlocked the northern Levant. I am now besieging the Egyptian castle at Aleppo. It is bereft of soldiers - only a stubborn noble and his escort defy us. Ulrich has made a rendezvous with troops from Adana at the bridge north of Antioch. Our garrison at Acre is menaced by a large Egyptian army, however. I fear Duke Otto may have a fight on his hands soon.

Duke Otto appears to relish fights, however. Although the Milanese just rejected our offer of peace, Duke Otto has privately and publicly refused to be flexible on the implementation of his edict that purported to seek a ceasefire. Although I am sure we could have attained a ceasefire with a slight increase in our offer - and despite us starting the year with over 46000 florins - Duke Otto has refused to sanction such an increased offer. So be it. Gerhard Steffen has landed at Ajaccio with the Bavarian Household Army and has it under siege. However, this aggressive move has left our Italian heartlands exposed and now a Milanese fleet stands at anchor off Genoa with a large army of cavalry and siege engines. Steffen’s fleet did intercept the Milanese, but they escaped annihilation. I fear this Milanese army will make landfall and the militia of the Bavarian cities will be powerless to stop them. Conrad Salier has ridden north from Rome to oversee our defence and Innsbruck is hastily raising armoured spearmen, but I fear several Bavarian cities will have been sacked before my term of office is out.

Gerherd Steffen's fleet struck at this Milanese force south of Ajacco, but it fled north to the coast off Genoa!

The Franconian drive on Krakow has been halted by internal reorganisation and an injunction from the Pope to cease attacks on the Poles for seven turns. Fredericus Hamburg is moving to take control of the Franconian Household Army, will be used to screen our eastern border from the Polish armies massing at Krakow. Gunther von Kastilien has been left with a strong garrison at Thorn, although on reflection I may give that assignment to his son. [OOC: Dutch_guy is having computer problems, so Thorn would have to be an autoresolve.]

Given the adamant rejection of a ceasefire by the Venetians, I have no hesitation in facilitating Duke Leopold’s march on their continental holdings. Unlike Milan, there is no hope of peace with Venice at the moment. Jonas von Mahren is blockading Venetian-held Rhodes as requested by the Council of Nobles. Maximilien von Tyrolia, an Austrian merchant, is gathering together the agents required for the trade and missionary expedition proposed by the House of Austria.

All is quiet on the Swabian front. Thanks to the Prince of Antioch’s bounty, Staufen is being upgraded to a Citadel. Prince Jobst’s Imperial army at Staufen continues to grow. A large rebel army has been spotted south of Frankfurt - they will provide the Prince’s army its first chance to prove itself.

I have gifted our Byzantine brothers 1000 florins but our relations remain terrible. I hope Hans mission to return Constantinople to them will improve this lamentable situation. Hans is with Duke Otto in Acre. When the crisis there subsists and a sufficient force can be levied, he will depart for Constantinople.

The project to modernise our household armies continues - this year I have hired each House a regiment of Teutons, the finest knights in the Reich.

I know anxiously await news from Genoa and ask the Dukes to remember the prime function of their Household Armies - to defend their realms, not to conquer their neighbours! Conquests - particularly where they risk leaving Duchies exposed - should properly be done by Imperial armies, led by the Chancellor or his appointed commanders.

Kaiser Henry

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/kotr1202-end.zip

Chancellor's report, 1204 AD

My Lords, it has been a quiet year for the Reich, opening as it did with the sad death of our venerable Count Maximillan Mandorf. It seems all across the Reich the pace of life slowed down and men moved about their business with sombre calm.

Christendom will miss the stern corrective guidance of Count Maximillan. As if emboldened by our loss, the Mohammadans in Jerusalem have rebelled and thrown off their Papal masters. I heard the news just before storming the lightly held fortress of Aleppo. Consquently, I have left my army - the veterans of Antioch - and embarked on a ship to handle the crisis personally. I had hoped that Duke Otto at Acre could oversee the defence of Jerusalem, but perhaps I expected too much of him.

Duke Hummel has moved to Adana to garrison the key fortress after Count Mandorf's death. His arrival comes not a moment too soon - a large Turkish army has entered the province from the west. It appears to be moving to collect reinforcements from Caesara before turning south to menace Outremer.

Back in southern Europe, our South Mediterranean fleet managed to pursue and engage the Milanese armada they had previously scattered. The enemy has fled back to the straits between Corisca and Sardinia. I am now confident we can deal with them without giving them the opportunity to land their army in vulnerable Italy. However, I am less sure of Gerhard Steffen's ability to storm Ajacco. It is defended by a Milanese noble and three regiments of dismounted knights. None of our proud Bavarian knights can be induced to dismount and scale the walls. As I am reluctant to send mere Sergeants against Italian knights, I have decided to starve the enemy out until the dismounted feudal knights I have recruited can arrive to put some backbone into the Bavarians. This deficiency in the Bavarian Household Army highlights the need for the modernisation of our Household Armies.

Elsewhere, all continues to be quiet on the Swabian front. As it seems unlikely we will have to endure a French offensive, I would ask the Duke of Swabia which French settlement he intends to target once the Pope's injuction to refrain from hostilities expires.

The Franconian Household Army is now east of Stettin, arranging a transfer of command from Duke Kastilien to Count von Hamburg. The Duke's son has returned to Thorn to garrison this key salient in our eastern front.

The Austrian Household Army is marching towards Ragusa, together with Maximillan von Tyrolia's mercantile expedition. Once there, the two will separate and head south on their respective missions.

Diplomatically, my court has informed me that a charming Portuguese Princess approached with an offer of alliance. As this will give us an interest in the west, to match our interest in the east, I was happy to approve a gift of 1200 florins for two turns to seal the deal. Like the Roman Empire of old, I believe our Reich should wield influence across the Mediterranean from west to east. I encourage the Diet to support Portugal in any future conflicts and strengthen our alliance.

Finally, I am pleased to recognise three new generals to the court. Harold von Dassel has married Judda der Stolze. Erhart von Mahren and Jan von Hamburg have come of age. It seems that just as God takes away, so he gives.

Yours

Kaiser Henry

End of year Chancellor’s report, 1206 AD

My Lords,

This has been a dark year for the Reich. It began with a Polish siege of Breslau. The reorganised Franconian Household Army, now under command of Count von Hamburg, was not able to arrive to relieve the settlement. However, I am hopeful that the approach of this powerful force will at best deter the Poles from pressing home their siege or at worst quickly undo any damage they wreak.

In Outremer, the year has ended with a Turkish siege of Adana. Fortunately, the Prince of Antioch has amassed a formidable force at Adana that I had hoped would be able to sail to Constantinople under my son, Hans. However, the Turks have forced a change of plans. I now plan to use my son, and the veterans of our great victory at Antioch, to break the siege.

The one ray of light has been the final destruction of the Milanese armada off the south of Corsica. Their entire army of cavalry and siege machines has been lost at sea. Count Steffen is now free to take their settlement at his leisure.

The Milanese armada: going, going, gone...

In other news, the Swabian front remains peaceful. If I do not hear from the Duke of Swabia soon, I will target Rheims as the target for their expansion once the Papal ultimatum to cease and desist ends.

Duke Leopold has arrived at Ragusa with the Austrian Household army and the mercantile expedition. My brother has informed me that his army’s target will be Thessalonika, while the merchants will head to North Egypt where their accompanying priests can cause some mischief converting the Mohammadans.

For my part, I have landed at Acre and assumed command of the garrison from Duke Otto. I scaled the Golan heights and drove off the Egyptian army that has been threatening Acre without loss to either side. I intend to engage them in battle and then take Jerusalem from the rebel Mohammadans.

May God have mercy on their souls, and ours.

Kaiser Henry
    Last edited by econ21; 05-21-2007 at 10:14.

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

I do wish for us to attack the city of Rheims. After which if there are no significant enemy forces nearby, a quick assault of Paris will follow. With their captial gone, the French will be crippled and shall suffer greatly
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

As Duke of Franconia I wish to appoint my son Ansehelm von Kastillien as count of Thorn.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

End of year Chancellor’s report, 1208 AD

My Lords,

I am weary - I feel drained, as if the burden of office or the stiffling climate are dragging me down. The sky is filled with dark omens. Word has come from merchants of the east of a great horse lord by the name of Ghengis Khan. He is sweeping all before him with an unstoppable mass of cavalry. These men - called Mongols - are traversing Transoxania at an alarming rate and look set to continue on westward, arriving either north or south of the Caspian sea.

My Lords, to a man in Frankfurt or Vienna, these names of provinces and seas may sound faraway and strange. But to the people of the Levant, they are familiar, neighbouring places. Dusan My advisors tell me that Outremer itself is in peril and we must secure its great cities quickly before all hell breaks loose.

We are in for it now.

My son Hans has broken the siege of Adana by the Turks and is about to embark for Constantinople. I have now cleared away the Egyptian armies menacing Acre and Jerusalem, laying siege to the Holy City again. It will soon belong to the Reich once more. Then all that will remain to complete Outremer will be the capture of Damascus.

Back in Europe, my staff inform me that there has been yet more reorganisation of the Franconian Household Army. Now it is under the command of its Duke, with Count von Hamburg beginning a long trek to the Levant. A Polish army stumbled upon the Duke's army but unfortunately our Papal injunction prevents us from crushing them. All this delay has allowed me to recruit three catapults for the planned siege of Krakow, however, and Thorn has produced its first regiment of pavise crossbowmen.

The Swabian army remains on the bridge south of Metz, ready to be unleashed on Rheims when its own Papal restraint order expires.

Gerhard Steffen continues to besiege the Milanese fortress. He now has one regiment of dismounted feudal knights with two more marching through north Italy to join him. I await his instruction to launch an assault, but am content for him to starve out his enemies.

Duke Leopold has reached the border of Venetian territory. Jonas von Mahren has disembarked in north Greece seeking to join my brother. I pray for his safe passage through enemy lands.

Finally, the Moors have attacked our new allies the Portuguese. This has allowed us to end our strange alliance with the Mohammadans in accordance with a Diet edict but hopefully without lowering our general diplomatic reputation. Good riddance to bad rubbish, say I.

Henry had waited to implement the Edict mandating an end to the alliance with the Moors. Good things come to those who wait.

Now, I must return to matters at Jerusalem. My head aches and I will find no rest until this business is resolved.

Kaiser Henry

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/1210-1.zip
    Last edited by econ21; 05-22-2007 at 09:08.

nevermind
    Last edited by econ21; 05-29-2007 at 13:08.

Chancellor's Report for 1210

My Lords,

The year has been uneventful. Duke Otto evicted the rebel Mohammadans from Jerusalem. For this service, he has been named King of Outremer. A diplomat has been sent to return the Holy City to the Papacy.

The Household Armies continue with their assigned duties.

The only real news I can provide is some absurd diplomatic escapades. The Moors declared war on us and then promptly asked for a ceasefire. I agreed in return for a tribute of 500 gold for ten turns, to compensate me for the tedium of having to waste good parchment reporting on their antics. A Danish Prince asked me to assassinate his father. I have a mind to find the young Prince and assassinate the cur instead, but no doubt father and son deserve each other.

Oh, and there was some little difficulty with one of my retinue. You just can't find the staff these days.

Kaiser Henry

Chancellor’s Report for 1212

My Lords,

This report contains news somewhat more momentous than the trivia of my last.

First, the horse lords have arrived at Baghdad. I have a mind to see what manner of men are these - perhaps I should despatch a diplomat and a spy, if I do not travel there in person.

Second, Pope Pisanus died. While Eusebius der Pfalz was one of the Preferati, our allies the Sicilians also fielded a strong candidate who I decided our Cardinals should back. Pope Angellus was suitably grateful, restoring our relations with the Papacy to Perfect (they had sunk to so-so before Pisanus’s death).

Unfortunately, the Lord valued Angellus too much and spirited him away from us before this year was out. This time, I voted for our own Eusebius der Pfalz. These chaotic events in the Papacy have prevented us negotiating the quick transfer of Jerusalem (OOC: our diplomat has taken time getting to the Papal army). But the Diet can be assured the transfer will be complete by my next report.

My first act of diplomacy with the new German Pope was to request a crusade on Damascus, as mandated by Edict 8.3. In accordance with our Charter, I request all generals who wish to join the crusade to give me notice within 48 hours. I understand Count von Hamburg will join, but need to know Austria’s representative. In this connection, I recommend to Duke Leopold a most promising young Austrian general called Karl Zirn, recently married to the Duke’s daughter Meckil.

I turn now to the affairs of each of the four Houses.

The Franconian Household Army is approaching Krakow, although the Papal mission to refrain from hostilities with the Poles will last until the time of my next report.

The Swabian Household Army, however, is now free of its injunction and so in my next report I hope to report it is besieging Rheims.

The Austrian Household Army is nearing Thessalonica, Jonas von Mahren having safely rendezvoused with Duke Leopold. Unfortunately, a large Hungarian army is approaching Budapest. I am training a professional force at Ragusa to come to the aid of the city’s militia, but I lack an outstanding general to lead them (Count von Hamburg is near but I am unsure whether to distract him from his journey to the Levant).

The Bavarian Household Army has, however, been ordered to stand down at Ajacco. The Milanese approached me for a ceasefire and I judged it best to accept, leaving them the accursed island and establishing trade rights with their merchants. I realise that I may be criticised for this decision in the light of 8.1, but I hope Duke Otto will see that he has gained his ceasefire and saved the 5000 florins he was prepared to spend. Ironically, I did contact Gerherd Steffen offering him the chance to assault the fortress before I was approached by the Milanese, but I fear his many ailments must have drawn him away and he did not respond in time. However, I do not withdraw the Bavarians from Corsica with any reluctance. I came to power promising a Pax Romana and that is what I am working towards. Moreover, a large rebel army has gathered near Rome and Conrad Salier’s militia are simply no match for them. I will be grateful to bring the Bavarian Household Army home to see them off.

In other news, Prince Hans has finally set sail for Constantinople. I am also pleased to announce that our heavy recruitment of Teutons from Frankfurt has led to their Chapter establishing its headquarters in that city. They have also opened up a minor chapter in Magdeburg. I wish they could be persuaded to serve in Outremer.

Now, my Lords, I have much to attend to,

Until next time,

Kaiser Henry

Save for the beginning of 1214:

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/1214-1.zip

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast