Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Battles of the Civil War - The Battle of Wilson's Creek

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Default Re: Battles of the Civil War - The Battle of Wilson's Creek

Chapter 4 – Nearing Dawn
    August 10th, 1861 – 0400 (1 Hour until Dawn)

The trenches and barricades are now completed. They cover the front of the trenches fairly completed. All of the Brigades have now had 4 hours worth of sleep, except for Deizler’s Fourth Brigade, which finished the trenches at about 0200. They are also providing most of the pickets at the point, due to them being able to sleep during the day.

The moon has set, so your scouts are reporting less and less, most of them having turned in for the night, however all seems quiet in General Rain’s camp. There have been very few reports of scouts. It would seem that they have not yet been sent out since the poor weather.

The Hospital and the command centre were set up behind the Farmhouse. You have a fairly good level of visibility from where you currently are. Both your position and that of the Hospital have had several branches cut down and placed in front of them in order to disguise them and hide them from the enemy’s position.

There is one Hour until Dawn. You must decide what to do:

Decision 1 – When to Wake the Men?
    It is now about one hour until dawn. The men have slept for the last four hours; however it is likely that they may need more after their exertions in the late afternoon.
    Option A – Wake the men now, except the Fourth Brigade.
    Option B – Leave the men to sleep until Dawn, except the Fourth Brigade.
    Option C – Wake two of the Brigades (Specify which)
    Option C – Select another time.

Decision 2 – An Early Strike?
    General Rain’s pickets and scouts appear to have turned in for the night. This would be a good opportunity to launch an early strike to try to get control of the high ground.
    Option A – Attack with all the men who are awake
    Option B – Attack with half of the men who are woken.
    Option C – Leave him alone
    Option D – Other

Decision 3 – Scouts
    Now that dawn is approaching, you should decide where you want the majority of the scouting centred around. This will be crucial for the information you receive during the battle.
    Option A – Gibson’s Mill
    Option B – Bloody Hill
    Option C – Edward’s Farmhouse
    Option D – Sharp’s Farmhouse
    Option E – Other
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Bloody Hill is where Reins Camp is, right?
    Where is Edward's farmhouse?

http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/resour...ages/img32.gif

This map is good for these things.

Bloody Hill is where General Rain is.
    Edward's farm is just to its South-East.
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

This is the dawn of the battle, so let's think a moment about the plans of the rebels.

Their army - or let it call a pack of bandids - has two parts: the Wetsern Army of McCullock (10,000) and the Missouri State Guard of Price (5,000).

McCullock is a Texas Ranger with some experience regarding artillery.
    Price seems to be a political general. His guard is not very reliable.

The war is still young and everybody expects that it won't take long. I bet both rebel commanders are crazy to get a victory before it is over.

The rebels have superior numbers and they know that if they defeat the union now, they can get control of this state, which may lead to the victory of the rebels.

Therefore I bet they will attack us. But how?

option 1)
    They will try a frontal assault. Due to their superior number and the unexperience of the soldiers and commanders this is most liekly. I think we can give them a warm welcome. Propably they will attack shortly after dawn.

option 2) they use the night to deploy their artillery. Then they attack with artillery support. They have to bring the guns through the wood. This will delay the attack.

option 3) They start a flanking maneuvre. If I were them, I would lead my mounted infantry to the east and attack across the creek while my cavalry attacks at the western flank.

Most probably they will do a combination of 1-3. They will start with an assault, which we will repel. Then they will deploy the cannons and shell our trench. Then they assault with fresh troops. Finally the understand that they cannot break through and try to bypass us.

So what do we have to do to defeat tehm in any case?

It is now about one hour until dawn. The men have slept for the last four hours; however it is likely that they may need more after their exertions in the late afternoon.
    Let them deploy in the trench. They may sleep there, only the pickets have to wake.

General Rain’s pickets and scouts appear to have turned in for the night. This would be a good opportunity to launch an early strike to try to get control of the high ground.

We did not dig all night long to leave the trench now, did we?

Decision 3 – Scouts
    Now that dawn is approaching, you should decide where you want the majority of the scouting centred around. This will be crucial for the information you receive during the battle.

Option E – Other
    - send patrols to Gibson's mill but also have pickets and patrols on the eastern side of the creek.

- have patrols at the western side, too. We cannot allow any rebels to bypass our positions unnoticed!

Only use first class cavalry for these jobs (no home guard, no dragoons!).
    Tell them to avoid any combat.

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

I would agree with the analysis of Franc and agree with his choices.
    My only concern is - will they attack? They may try to out manouvre us, but the inexperience of their troops and commanders count against them trying to do anything fancy.
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Two replies aren't really anough. I will extend this by 24 hours.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmm, just started paying attention to this. I think Franc is dead on here, as well. I think that they will most likely attempt a frontal assault, as none of the rebel commanders are of the level of Lee or Jackson, in addition to the fact that numerical superiority has a tendency to give a person a certain degree of arrogance. I'm pretty much in agreement with his choices.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

24 more hours I guess.

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

B

D - We run in, strike. If succesful continue destroying. If not, we run back, fighting, to the trenches.

For 3, are they numbered, I say, uh, all of 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus
    Let them deploy in the trench. They may sleep there, only the pickets have to wake.

We did not dig all night long to leave the trench now, did we?

Decision 3 – Scouts

Option E – Other
    - send patrols to Gibson's mill but also have pickets and patrols on the eastern side of the creek.

- have patrols at the western side, too. We cannot allow any rebels to bypass our positions unnoticed!

Only use first class cavalry for these jobs (no home guard, no dragoons!).
    Tell them to avoid any combat.
    Medieval 2: Total War Guide to Traits and Retinue
    "Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair but manifestations of strength and resolution." - Khalil Gibran

World War 3 erupted in mid-1960's: NATO - Warsaw Pact Conflict multiplayer Interactive, choose one from several available countries

1. A. I agree with the one who previously stated that the troops could sleep on in the trenches. It's fully possible that the Confederates have treid to lure us into relaxing by the removal of pickets and scouts, and make a suprise attack before, or just at dawn. We should be ready for the possibility.

2. C. There are more of them than us, and they have more cavallery. If an attack fails, we're as good as gone. I doubt that with the enemy cavallery superiority, we would be able to really retreat in good order to the trench. Also count our troops inexperience which might turn it into a full rout. Not to mention that there are more of them than of us to begin with. Lets wait for them to come to us insteed.

3. E. I'll throw in my vote with Tran and Franconicus.

Sorry guys, busy day. I will get it up tomorrow.

Looks like we have the right strategy. CA (Confederate Army) does not know what to do.

Chapter 5 – Dawn's First Light
    August 10th, 1861 – 0502 – Dawn

You decided to wake the men an hour before dawn, with the thought that they would then be able to sleep in the trenches. However, many of the commanders are saying that their men are restless and they are nervous about the coming battle. Many of them have never seen a battle before. However, it is too late to do anything about that.

Dawn has come and it reveals some interesting things. During the night about 900 men have moved up to take a position on Rain’s left. This means that there are now about 3400 men on Bloody Hill. They seem to have only a few cannons. These have started to unlimber and will likely open fire within the next hour.

It also reveals the whereabouts of the cavalry you sent out last night. They are exactly where they were told they would be led to. They are at the town of Dixon. They appear to be holding until they can take stock of the situation. Any orders you wish to send are unlikely to reach them for another couple of hours.

You have sent out your cavalry to Gibson’s Mill, as well as a few men to observe your flanks. They will report throughout the day. You can expect your first report very soon.

Now that the day of the Battle has arrived, you must decide specifically where you want your Brigades. The Fourth will stay in reserve until they receive further orders.

There is one Hour until Dawn. You must decide what to do:

NOTE: I was going to give you maps, but I thought that it would make it more interesting if you only had your commanders’ reports to go by. Good luck Another thing is that the Confederates only have 10000 men total, when both their armies are included.

Decision 1 – Artillery Batteries
    Your batteries are behind your lines and have started to unlimber. You must decide what target to shoot at for the moment. This can be reassessed later.
    Option A – Target Infantry that is on the Hill
    Option B – Target the Artillery on the Hill.
    Option C – Target the Cavalry on the Hill.
    Option D – Do not fire; wait until you can see some other targets.
    Option E – Other

Decision 2 – Cavalry commands
    Your cavalry regiment, the Rangers, have arrived at the town of Dixon and are currently idling there. You can send them a message if you wish
    Option A – Order them to hold
    Option B – Order them to attack
    Option C – Order them to attack lone artillery
    Option D – Do not send a message
    Option E – Other

Decision 3 – Deploying your Brigades
    You must decide exactly how you wish for your Brigades to be deployed. Currently it is set up with Sigel’s Second Brigade in the centre, Sturgis’ First Brigade on his left and Andrews’ Third Brigade on his right. Sigel’s Fourth Brigade is in reserve.
    Option A – Leave it as is
    Option B – Other

Decision 4 – A Rousing Speech
    You can give your men a speech this morning. This is a free task. I am going to allow anyone who wants to write this speech. If you don’t want to, don’t worry.

Your batteries are behind your lines and have started to unlimber. You must decide what target to shoot at for the moment. This can be reassessed later.

On the assumption that we have a good supply of ammo - as per earlier in the thread - we should open fire on the target to give us best effect. Counter battery fire was never very successful and cavalry, although a tempting target, can easily move out of the line of fire. Infantry win battles, so let's start wearing them down, It will also possibly provoke them into action and a rash attack.
    Your cavalry regiment, the Rangers, have arrived at the town of Dixon and are currently idling there. You can send them a message if you wish
    E - We have to be a little careful here. Dixon is to the south and the Rangers are probably to the rear of the other part of the rebel army. they should be ordered to move up the eastern banks of Wilson's Creek and to skirmish with any rebel forces they find. Their role is to distract and hinder and possibly to pull some forces away from the main fight.
    You must decide exactly how you wish for your Brigades to be deployed. Currently it is set up with Sigel’s Second Brigade in the centre, Sturgis’ First Brigade on his left and Andrews’ Third Brigade on his right. Sigel’s Fourth Brigade is in reserve.
    Option A – Leave it as is - this puts a regular regiment on both flanks, so helping solidify our position.

You can give your men a speech this morning. This is a free task. I am going to allow anyone who wants to write this speech. If you don’t want to, don’t worry.
    I'm not sure how effective rousing speeches before battle were in the Civil War - it was the short speeches during battle which were most effective - but I might have a crack at writing something
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"

Our cannons haven't taken their positions during night.
    I hope their position are at least fortified!
    It is still dawn. Peppering the hill (which is covered with trees) will not be very effective. Let's wait until the rebels attack. Then we can concentrate our fire. I think there will be a mixed bulk of infantry and cavalry. This will be the right target! Let the men rest or prepare their position, if they haven't done so!

Tricky. It looks like we outmaneuvred our cavalry. We need them back home to cover our flanks. Right now the enemy has loads of cavalry and we have almost none. However, will they make it back and will they make it back in time?
    I am not sure what to say. Maybe somebody else has a good idea. If I had to give an order, I would tell them to attack the next best rebel unit to distract as much cavalry from the north and the march around the eastern flank and come back home.

Does that mean: 1st west, 2nd center, 3rd east. Then it is fine!

You can give your men a speech this morning. This is a free task. I am going to allow anyone who wants to write this speech. If you don’t want to, don’t worry.[/QUOTE]

For the German soldiers Major Osterhaus is the right person to make a speech. He did that in 'real life' and was named after that speech!!
    For the English, I guess King Kurt will do it fine.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

If it's not too late to join in and add my two cents (yes, I've read through the entire history).....

-Question 1: Artillery targeting.
    Why? Our men have just spent most of the night digging trenches in wet, mucky earth. They're tired and they're scared. We're asking them to hold a defensive position against a numerically superior enemy. Once the rebel guns start firing on them, morale will plummet. We need to duel the opposing guns to silence them. We have equal positioning advantage (our artillery and theirs are both on high ground). We have roughly equal numbers of guns. However, our artillery crews are much more experienced than theirs are. If we engage in an artillery duel, we can probably win it and silence their guns, helping to maintain the precious morale of the men in the trenches. Save our grapeshot (the anti-infantry rounds) for when Rains begins to advance.

-Question 2: Franconious, the bulk of our cavalry is in Dixon, but we do have a couple of regiments anchoring our flank along the stream. Not that I think Rains is dumb enough to try to cross that stream and scale the hillside under fire. Meanwhile, Rains will be sending for artillery reinforcements. The cavalry can pick them off as they come up. I say Option C. The bulk of the cavalry down at the mill should seek to pick off artillery reinforcements coming up and we should hold off on any decisive action with them until they begin issuing reports.

Now, the big question 3, deployments...
    I think we're preparing for a frontal assault, and that makes sense, that's probably what we're going to face this morning. That means the center unit will bear the brunt of the assault. This disqualifies Sigel from holding the center. He's the only brigade that is comprised entirely of recruits. Sturgis (1st brigade) and Andrews (3rd brigade) both have a regiment of professionals (the 1st US infantry & the 2nd US infantry, respectively). Of the two, Andrews has the larger force by far. He should hold the center. Sigel should hold our right flank (West, away from stream) and Sturgis should hold our left flank (East, towards the stream). The idea here is simple. When they lead their frontal assault, it will be a test of morale. They're definitely going to lose on numbers alone. The question is whether our boys have the stones to sit tight in their trenches and keep shooting when 3000 men come marching at them. We don't want the recruits holding that job.

In short, the center of the line has to hold. Option B: Other. Otherwise, our left flank will be caught between the advancing army and the stream. We must put our best troops there. Andrews (3rd) in the center. Sturgis (1st) on our left (East) flank, with the 1st US infantry abutting Andrews men and the 2nd MO infantry covering the hillside leading down to the creek.

In case anybody's interested, here's our reduced OOB, now that we've detached our cavalry and artillery.

-1st Brigade (Sturgis) 450 men total.
    - 1st US infantry (300 men)
    -2nd Missouri Infantry (150 men).

-2nd Brigade (Sigel) 990 men
    -3rd and 5th Missouri (990 men).

-3rd Brigade (Andrews) 1050 men
    -2nd US infantry 275 men
    -1st Missouri Infantry 775 men

-4th Brigade (Deitzler) 2400 men (Reserve)
    -1st Iowa 800 men
    -1st Kansas 800 men
    -2nd Kansas 600 men
    - Home guards (200 men) detached: guard duty on hospital and HQ.

Does anybody else see what I'm getting at? We've placed 1/2 our men in reserve! Is it possible to switch Deitzler and Sigel's brigades? At the very least, could we detach a regiment out of Deitzler's brigade and assign it to Sigel?
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 07-24-2007 at 14:45.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Assuming we can't detach and reassign Deitzler's regiments, here's what I propose (sorry, no time to edit the battlefield map).

I'm going to position in two lines, first by brigade, then by regiment...

2nd Sigel <---> 3rd Andrews <---> 1st Sturgis

3rd/5th MO <---> 2nd US <---> 1stMO <---> 1st US <---> 2nd MO

(Sigel deployed obliquey, to guard our right flank)

Notice how the 1st MO is anchored on both sides by a veteran regiment. The relatively small 2nd MO will defend the stream ford. I said the 3rd/5th should be deployed obliquely, but in reality, they should probably form a crescent, guarding the entire western hillside.

I really hope we can detach a regiment from Deitzler. It would definitely help!
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 07-24-2007 at 14:54.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Well Don, you are right regarding the frontal assault. This is what we have to expect. However, it is not sure, that the rebels will do it. They could also try to flank our line. Then we have to have a strong reserve.

I doubt that the rebels will do the first assault with more than 2,000 men. Our front line together with the artillery is strong enough to give them a bloody welcome. I doubt that the rebel cannons can do much damage beside moral.

Once we repelled the first rebel assault, I think this will boost our moral. Depending on casualties we can deploy our reserve then.

Don Corleone
    At the risk of waking up tomorrow with a horse's head, can I question a couple of your choices?
    Why target the artillery? - counterbattery fire in the Civil war was never very effective, so why not fire at the infantry. They are not in trenches so will suffer accordingly - case shot or solid shot will inflict casualties and might provoke them into an attack - we are outnumbered, but the rebels have to concentrate their forces, so they will have to sit under fire until the others arrive. That could provoke an impetuious attack.
    While I understand your thinking re the regulars being in the centre to bear the brunt of any attack, I feel that they would be better served by being on the wings, ensuring our flanks hold. The centre also has the benefit of a reserve behind them, so I would think Sigel's brigade would be quite sound there.

Quote Originally Posted by King Kurt
    Don Corleone
    At the risk of waking up tomorrow with a horse's head, can I question a couple of your choices?
    Why target the artillery? - counterbattery fire in the Civil war was never very effective, so why not fire at the infantry. They are not in trenches so will suffer accordingly - case shot or solid shot will inflict casualties and might provoke them into an attack - we are outnumbered, but the rebels have to concentrate their forces, so they will have to sit under fire until the others arrive. That could provoke an impetuious attack.
    While I understand your thinking re the regulars being in the centre to bear the brunt of any attack, I feel that they would be better served by being on the wings, ensuring our flanks hold. The centre also has the benefit of a reserve behind them, so I would think Sigel's brigade would be quite sound there.
    Hee hee, no problems King Kurt. Question away.

My rationale behind the artillery duel is mainly around morale. We may not take out too many of their guns, but at the very least, they'll be forced to respond, sparing our infantry from being targeted. I can't imagine their inexperienced artillery crews will sit there with shells dropping around them, calculatingly firing on our infantry. We may not actually destroy many of their guns, but we may actually cause their artillery to rout.

Besides, grape shot and other anti-personnel fire is only good to about 200 yards. I'm sure they encamped outside our range. I agree once their infantry advances within range we should change targets, but right now, firing at their infantry will not get us much bang for our buck.

You do raise a good point about whoever our center brigade is having the reserves at their back. Perhaps the 2 of you are correct. I just don't think you can overcompensate for rookie-fear in a battle. What's more, isn't there a long stretch between where our line turns northwest and that set of woods up there? Will Andrews be stretched thin trying to hold that much ground?

And truth be told, I've always assumed that reserves were supposed to be 1/4th to 1/3rd of your available infantry, depending on how conservative you are as a commander, but I may be wrong on that. Is 1/2 a more appropriate value?
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 07-24-2007 at 15:33.

Strike for the South

I wonder if our artillery can do any harm on this distance as long as the rebels are stretched and somewhere behind the trees.

However, I even doubt more that the rebel cannon balls can do much harm to our men. Moral is an issue, but that early in the war enthusiasm is still high. These men were high motivated, had professionals at their sides and quite good commanders. All they had to do is sit behing the barricades and fire. Do not forget that the rebels have to corss open field, even a creek under fire, This will be much harder.

I say spare the balls. We cannot do much harm now. If we stay quiet, the rebels will underrate us even more. The effect of the bombardment - once the assault - will be much higher.

The front is quite small. I do not think they can deploy all their men. They will attack one division after the other. The more at a time, the better!

I agree Franconius. Let's wait on initiating our own artillery barrage. We can always answer in the next round after they've started firing. Saving powder for concentrated fire on their infantry after they've begun to advance may be the wisest position for now. Can we agree that if any shelling on their part starts to unnerve our troops, we return fire and try to silence their batteries?

Strike for the South

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Option C – Target the Cavalry on the Hill.
    Option E – Other

Option A – Order them to hold
    Option B – Order them to attack
    Option D – Do not send a message
    Option E – Other

Option B – Other

Decision 2 I'm undecided on. It would be easier if I had a map of the deployment. But this will have to do for now.

CA I have a question. It says Battles of the Civil War is that to say we are going to be fighting other battles that were during the Civil War or will we be staying with this one army the entire interactive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

CA I have a question. It says Battles of the Civil War is that to say we are going to be fighting other battles that were during the Civil War or will we be staying with this one army the entire interactive?
    I'm unsure. I'm tossing up whether to leave you with this army, or to move you from army to army. Either way I think I will make it that you can watch the Civil War subtely change after the Battles. There will be more battles in the future though, that is for sure.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

IMHO I think we should move from army to army, but it's your interactive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

That is what I am more leaning towards.

Oh and welcome Don Corleone, anyone is free to come and go as they please

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach
    That is what I am more leaning towards.
    Does that mean the outcome of this battle might not effect the other/future battles?

Anyway, my choices:

I'll leave that to the master of propaganda...
    Medieval 2: Total War Guide to Traits and Retinue
    "Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair but manifestations of strength and resolution." - Khalil Gibran

World War 3 erupted in mid-1960's: NATO - Warsaw Pact Conflict multiplayer Interactive, choose one from several available countries

Does that mean the outcome of this battle might not effect the other/future battles?
    It will.

A. The infantry are the key to the battle, and I think it's easier to hit them as well. Blast away at infantry.

C. I don't have any really good ideas, but perhaps they might get luck and take a cannon or two our of action. I can't however say that I like this when the enemy have so much more cavallery than us.

A. Leave them as they are, we don't need more confussion or problem with a hasty re-orginazing of the troops this short before battle.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast