Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Good is EB

Default How Good is EB

Hi How much better is EB to normal rome because I Hav'nt played it much I prefer rome at the moment

Tribune of the Plebeians Member Guildenstern's Avatar

Default Re: How Good is EB

Hello, JJ 847.
    I suggest you have a look at the EB page of the forum:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forum...sprune=-1&f=70

I'm sure you'll find answers to all your questions there.

Regards
    Omnia enim plerumque quae absunt vehementius hominum mentes perturbant.
    For generally all evils which are distant most powerfully alarm men's minds.
    Gaius Julius Caesar

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    John Lennon

It is awesome, really immersive, educational and fun!
    I may be annoying and evil, but really I'm mean good, honest, no really.
    After Manzikert- Romanorum Redividus, Story base ERE AAR

Quote Originally Posted by The Wandering Scholar
    sub par
    "sub par" means under average. I'd love to see what the average is in your book. I would say it doesn't exist.

I just wonder how EB is sub-par?
    I may be annoying and evil, but really I'm mean good, honest, no really.
    After Manzikert- Romanorum Redividus, Story base ERE AAR

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Well I'm not one of the EB fanatics, but EB is simply by far the best mod I have seen for any game ever.

The units look in my opinion absolutedly incredible, once you see EB's 'barbarian units' you will never play the vanilla Gauls or Germanians again.

The recruitment system is wonderful, you can field realistic and extremely diverse armies, no matter who you play as. I love recruiting locals into my armies, keeps epic campaigns fresh and adds so much to gameplay on the battlefield.

Basically every aspect of the game is just so much better than standard Rome.

I can however understand why people playing it at first might not like it. Its got a lot to come to grips with and the government and recruitment system in particular can be a nightmare and seem a bit odd for new players.

But to call it 'sub par' seems bizarre. OK he might have been blowing his own trumpet, but TA is right - what are you comparing it to, and where can I get it?!
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

EB is God in gaming form.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

EB man . . . looks kinda the same as RTW . . .
    there is only 1 thing that i noticed that doesnt go with the game well . . .
    the units ... the romans i mean . . . the romans dont have a roman unit at least in this game . . instead it has a lot more from persian archers . . . to celtic axemen ? i think yep .
    thats what i didn like about EB but in an overall rating . .
    ill gie it a 9.5 . ..
    if they had put the roman units from RTW into this game . it would have been a 10 !!
    but yeah this game ahs a lot moreeee maps i will never play them all . theyre just too many :P
    well u need to play this MOD because its a good one . TwoThumbsUp

cya
    Edvard0
    Only the evil will triumph if good men do nothing .
    Edmund . . . .

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddy_purpus
    the units ... the romans i mean . . . the romans dont have a roman unit at least in this game . . instead it has a lot more from persian archers . . . to celtic axemen ? i think yep .
    ill gie it a 9.5 . ..
    if they had put the roman units from RTW into this game . it would have been a 10 !!

cya
    This isn't completely accurate. I'm guessing that you're getting this idea from the units available in custom battles. In the current version of EB the custom battles are messed up so the factions aren't getting the right units. I can assure you that in the campaign the Romans do get Roman units such as the traditional Hastati, Principes, and Triarii.

EB is great but it does have some long loading times.

Edit: If you wish, you can certainly create extremely diverse armies. This is one of the greatest things about EB. My current main army in my Averni(gaul) game has naked fanatics, hastati, hoplites, german nobles, celtic spearmen, Alpine shortswordsmen, and a good chunk of other units. My other main army in Dacia has Falxmen, naked fanatics, horse archers, Thracian spearmen, and a battered phalanx unit.
    Last edited by woad&fangs; 03-07-2008 at 04:23.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: How Good is EB

Quote Originally Posted by woad&fangs
    This isn't completely accurate. I'm guessing that you're getting this idea from the units available in custom battles. In the current version of EB the custom battles are messed up so the factions aren't getting the right units. I can assure you that in the campaign the Romans do get Roman units such as the traditional Hastati, Principes, and Triarii.
    You are aware of the custom/MP EDU file that is installed in the EB folder? This will give you the correct units in the unit selection screen.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

oh yeah im sorry :P
    its because I TRIED TO PLAY CUSTOM BATTLES with the romans and stuff and i did not see any roman unit .
    now that i played with ROMANI
    and yes there are roman units .
    im sorry but yeah it was innacurate and dumb for me to say that .

but im new at EB so . . . a little guiltyness off of me :P
    thank u.

Edvard0
    Edvard0
    Only the evil will triumph if good men do nothing .
    Edmund . . . .

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Hello eddy_purpus,

Are you enjoying it?
    Ja mata

TosaInu

The Aspiring God Of War Member Lysander13's Avatar
    Leading the assault against the Gods at Mount Olympos itself.

sub par
    ....How anyone could consider a mod like EB sub par is beyond me. Even if one is not a fan of the era that EB covers or how EB chooses to cover it but understands how modifications work and the effort and dedication it takes to produce a mod the quality of EB. Surely based on that alone i would think EB is better than sub par.

I've read some misinformation in this thread regarding EB, i.e..broken custom battles, blah..blah..blah...All these "issues" would be answered if one took the time to read EB's FAQ.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=84854

BTW, to answer the question. Though there are many great mods out there for this time period. IMHO, EB is in a class all it's own.

I could never get EB to run well because my aging system is sadly a bit too aging to run it. From what little I saw of it I was highly impressed at the massive improvements over the vanilla game. Nothing is perfect of course and there is always room for critique but I can safely say that I haven't played it anywhere near enough to form any kind of opinion.

sub par
    You, sir, should be banned, if you mean what I think you just said. Even changing your avatar and username shouldn't save you. SUB-PAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! EB has shown the world the epitome of modding, the Holy Grail that all should emulate. Good riddance!
    “He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.”-Proverbs 16:32

Read my Aedui AAR-"Across the Waters: A Story of the Migration"
    And the sequel "Sword of Albion"

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

What's the best mod to download after you have just finished you vanila campaign. I mean there is quite a few choices. EB, Rome: Total Realism, Roma Serructem.................. Which is the best. I'm thinking of playing one of them during Easter.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

For its incredible historical accuracy and the sheer beauty of its units, I would say EB.

Although admiteddly I've not played it since v0.8

"Sub par.......? It is one of the best MODS of RTW you will find so far. I hope and possibly think you got your words wrong or mixed up."

ill gie it a 9.5 . ..
    but yeah this game ahs a lot moreeee maps i will never play them all . theyre just too many :P
    "Hi eddy_purpus. I hope by now that you have managed to get the custom battles working and can see the full list of roman units available to you. There is a trading card list set up where you can also see the full list of units in EB."

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=80557
    "The secret of all victory lies in the organization of the non-obvious." - Marcus Aurelius

"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe.

ill gie it a 9.5 . ..

cya
    I know someone already responded to this regarding campaign vs. custom battle units, but I want to add another point:

- This is also a product of the realism in EB. (the units that you're seeing) The Roman Army featured a LOT of mercenaries, auxillias, and "international" troops at different points throughout their history. This is not accurately reflected in Vanilla Rome and it's much more appropriately portrayed in EB.

Many of the Roman units you've "come to love" in Vanilla are either entirely fictitious or altered beyond historical accuracy.
    Last edited by ArtistofWarfare; 03-10-2008 at 22:06.

Don't you get sick of the bright red/green/blue legionaries all the time anyway? Its always nice to get some regional units to keep the campaign entertaining, mercs don't really do the job in vanilla.

Agreed...

The Vanilla units as a whole just look boring and dull...on top of inaccurate.

Yeah especially the barbarian clone armies from Yuri's Revenge. I love how Gallic Skirmishers, Swordsmen, Warband, and Slingers all looked exactly the same. If you were British you got spiked hair. That was about the only difference with the Celts.

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian Rhyfelwyr
    Yeah especially the barbarian clone armies from Yuri's Revenge. I love how Gallic Skirmishers, Swordsmen, Warband, and Slingers all looked exactly the same. If you were British you got spiked hair. That was about the only difference with the Celts.
    lol...so true about the spiked hair.

Default Sv: Re: How Good is EB

Quote Originally Posted by Theodotos I
    You, sir, should be banned, if you mean what I think you just said. Even changing your avatar and username shouldn't save you. SUB-PAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! EB has shown the world the epitome of modding, the Holy Grail that all should emulate. Good riddance!
    Aw, come on... Every one has the right to make a mistakes. I remember a guy (probably here, but more in the M2TW formum) who was, errr, particular at the beginning, he turned out allright after a few "behavior warnings"

Is EB in Greeks or something, i don't get the offical website. If you are going to download the game is it gonna be in an language that isn't English?

Desperately Seeking Tamworth Member Ethelred Unread's Avatar

It's in English here

https://www.europabarbarorum.com/
    "The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials"

Thanks mate.

Default Re: Sv: Re: How Good is EB

Quote Originally Posted by Caerfanan
    Aw, come on... Every one has the right to make a mistakes. I remember a guy (probably here, but more in the M2TW formum) who was, errr, particular at the beginning, he turned out allright after a few "behavior warnings"
    I understand, but calling EB sup-par is a bit too much. He either hasn't bothered to play it, or else he's got the IQ of a kangaroo rat. My only hope is that he had no inkling of what sub-par actually meant. If so, everything's forgiven.
    “He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.”-Proverbs 16:32

Read my Aedui AAR-"Across the Waters: A Story of the Migration"
    And the sequel "Sword of Albion"

Default Re: Sv: Re: How Good is EB

I have the slight suspicion there was some irony in that statement. Otherwise he probably wouldn't regularly post in EB-AAR-Threads...
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast