Thread: The Arcade Fire

Deranged rock ape Member Quirinus's Avatar

Default The Arcade Fire

Does anyone else know this awesome Canadian band? I've had their album, Funeral, for ages, but I've only recently begun to really listen to them.

"Neighbourhood #1 (Tunnels)" and "Rebellion (Lies)" rock my world.
    WARNING! This baseline signature should never appear on screen!

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Default Re: The Arcade Fire

Hmm. Heard them a while ago and found them okay-ish but very derivative, have heard about them quite a lot recently so listened to newer stuff which unfortunately hasn't changed my opinion really. There's far better stuff coming from Montreal, though.
    Last edited by Geoffrey S; 03-05-2008 at 17:47.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

They're really big in the UK, in some scenes at least, but I haven't heard enough to give a fair opinion.

They are one of my most-listened-to bands, infact I might have a blast now... (Neon Bible is a brilliant album)

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    Hmm. Heard them a while ago and found them okay-ish but very derivative, have heard about them quite a lot recently so listened to newer stuff which unfortunately hasn't changed my opinion really. There's far better stuff coming from Montreal, though.
    Derivative of which bands? I suppose I'd also be interested in the work of any similar bands/artistes.

Not necessarily derivative of certain bands, but with predictable songs and ambitious arrangements which don't really add much in my opinion.

Might want to try The Flaming Lips, The Pixies and Modest Mouse for starters. Also, perhaps The Shins and The Decembrists. Similar arrangements in various different ways, and I think they use them better.
    Last edited by Geoffrey S; 03-11-2008 at 17:49.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

[Never liked The Flaming Lips, but interest has admittedly never been sustained.]

As for Arcade Fire, I've Known about this band, ensemble or however you want
    to term them for a couple of years now. Very fond of some their songs in
    particular, although at times they can sound a little too clumsy, I wouldn't have
    said predictable.
    it's the **** that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come

Apparently they are lacking when performing live, although tbh I have never been at one of their gigs I am only going on what ffiends have said although they are rarely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by rdeče.jabolko
    [Never liked The Flaming Lips, but interest has admittedly never been sustained.]
    No, nor have I, but since so many people I know do like them and the style is similar I figured it's only fair to include them.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    Not necessarily derivative of certain bands, but with predictable songs and ambitious arrangements which don't really add much in my opinion.

Might want to try The Flaming Lips, The Pixies and Modest Mouse for starters. Also, perhaps The Shins and The Decembrists. Similar arrangements in various different ways, and I think they use them better.
    Thanks. Shows how out of touch I am that I don't know any of these bands.... I'll check them out. I need new music.