Thread: Vasselages

Question Vasselages

What are the benefits of having a Vassel? And how do you go about it?
    Is it on the Diplomacy screen?

Also how badly do you have to pound on another faction before they start coming to you asking for a ceasefire? When they're down to 1 city?

Default AW: Vasselages

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjm15
    Also how badly do you have to pound on another faction before they start coming to you asking for a ceasefire? When they're down to 1 city?
    In unmodded M2TW this will never happen... Even if YOU offer THEM a ceasefire when you have beaten them down to 1 city with only their leader left and have a full stack of your soldiers waiting outside, your offer will be "very demanding"... ;)

Default Re: AW: Vasselages

Quote Originally Posted by Grombeard
    In unmodded M2TW this will never happen... Even if YOU offer THEM a ceasefire when you have beaten them down to 1 city with only their leader left and have a full stack of your soldiers waiting outside, your offer will be "very demanding"... ;)
    I get ceasefire requests in MTW2 usually after beating a faction badly in a battle or 2. Not always ... but It happens quite often actually. Perhaps it is different on alt game settings.It wont always occur and as Grom said usually you get the "very demanding" result...you can always sweeten the deal by giving the faction back a city that you took from them and map info etc.

Re Vassalage: ...it dosent benefit you. it gives military access and map info (trade bonus..perhaps?) to the faction you become the vassal of. soo its something you would accept as a last resort or would try to force on others.

Default Re: Vasselages

I've gotten Vassalage requests from the AI before, but thats from having perfect relations, a really high reputation, them trying to unsuccessfully backstab me from our alliance, and me taking out nearly their entire military in 1 turn in a defensive battle.

It is quite sad how the AI won't accept ceasefires most of the time unless you've got really good relations/rep, which are pretty impossible to maintain with them causing relations to drop from THEM attacking you (unless you like funding a perpetual war against yourself via gifts).

"Don't mind me, i happen the have the Insane trait....." -Me

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

You will get an AI ceasefire offer every so often. I think trouble is your relations have to be good with the faction you're at war with and your reputation has to be fairly positive. So if you've been at war very long or don't release all prisoners and occupy all captured cities you'll have bad relations. If you have bad relations, not only will they refuse to offer you a ceasefire they'll also refuse any offer you make to them, no matter how dire their military situation.

Getting a vassal means you get military access to their lands, their map information, their lands count towards your victory condition, and some of their florins go to you every season.

If you play on VH/VH you will very rarely get a ceasefire or vassal agreement because of the constant decline of your relations. Try M/VH and you'll have more luck.

Knight of Fable... Member Mek Simmur al Ragaski's Avatar

I think you also get a percentage of that countries money?? not sure but thats what happens when you are a vassal
    'It is not anger that drives me to destroy the Egyptian empire, but the promise of gold, a throne, and of all the ruling Pharaoh's concubines in a single night'
    -Me sacking the Egyptian cities...

Quote Originally Posted by Insane834
    I think you also get a percentage of that countries money?? not sure but thats what happens when you are a vassal
    i believe it's that if they have more then X (5,000 florins? 50,000? something like that) then you get all additional money

"Don't mind me, i happen the have the Insane trait....." -Me

Knight of Fable... Member Mek Simmur al Ragaski's Avatar

I just recently accepted a vassalage to denmark, they left Caen in a state of disrepair and had another army coming up so i decided to give my army a rest, anyway, my best crusader fell in the first battle!
    'It is not anger that drives me to destroy the Egyptian empire, but the promise of gold, a throne, and of all the ruling Pharaoh's concubines in a single night'
    -Me sacking the Egyptian cities...

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjm15
    What are the benefits of having a Vassel? And how do you go about it?
    Is it on the Diplomacy screen?

benefit: a sort of loyal ally who gives you money, and there territories count towards your total.

Beat their military force up heavily, give them a territory of two, have amiable realtions en a decent reputation, (very reliable or higher) and they may accept vassalage.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Getting vassalls also improves your factions reputation, whereas destroying factions lowers it.

They can also be a nice way to get a large empire under your control if they lack military power. I managed to make Egypt my vassall as the Turks when they had 5 provinces - Jerusalem, Gaza, Alexandria, Cairo, and Dongola. So that was 5 provinces towards my victory count. Unfortunately they backstabbed me a few turns later.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

It also helps after you have vassals if you shower them with gifts for a bit. make them feel special.

My kingdom for a .