Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: A new RTW

Aged retainer Member Guyus Germanicus's Avatar

Default Re: A new RTW

I would love to see them upgrade RTW in a few ways, but I like the basic game as it is for the most part. I think video/computer game designers can get carried away trying to outdo themselves from a previous release or previous game. RTW is really nothing but an automated board game. Parker Brothers' game Monopoly has been hugely popular for generations, which proves to me that you don't need to be constantly innovating to have good market success for your product.

If I had my druthers, I think I would like to see CA improve the graphics just a bit and upgrade the designs of some units (like the Spartan hoplite - it's much too plain to suit me.) The guys who designed Extended Greek Mod did a wonderful job on the unit design/art graphics. It would be neat to see some of those unit images adopted in a CA upgrade. Also, the XGM game board is much larger extending deep into central asia, and farther down the Nile and Sahara regions. There are a few more cities as well. I like the larger game map in XGM. That was another nice feature of their mod. I think it would be neat if CA could adopt something like that to RTW.

I would also like to see some better infantry units for Parthia, some better cavalry units for the Greek cities, and more options for mercenary recruitment for all the factions. Maybe have them design more of the factions for 'unlockable' rather than having so many as 'unplayable.' Perhaps they could design a feature whereby if a faction conquere certain factions, then make it so that this faction can adopt some of the other factions' unit types. Some of that idea is in RTW now (the Seleucids, for example, can recruit a Roman legionaire type unit.) Say, if your Roman faction encounters a Parthian army, then maybe within a certain number of turns after that encounter the Romans can 'adapt' and suddenly have in their schedule of recruitable units, a cataphract. Just a thought. But truly successful armies in the ancient era learned from their enemies. The Romans adopted the pilum and gladius from Spain, and in later eras, the cataphract. The Seleucids adapted, as did Philip II when he developed the Macedonian fighting machine.

By the same token, maybe multiple temple development within a city's schedule of building options.

Maybe add one or two more factions - an Indian faction, maybe one more barbarian faction AKA make the Scythians more viable as a playable faction, or even subdivide the Gauls into the Aedui, Belgae, or something (that might be overkill, I guess, just a thought though.)

The RTW combat phase 'fluidness' I think is much better than M2TW. I like the added buildings and units of M2TW but I have never enjoyed the combat phase of the game. It just seemed to be more uncontrollable and awkward. RTW's combat phase is more fun, and I returned to RTW after playing around with M2TW because I didn't enjoy that feature even though the graphics were supposedly an improvement.

My only concern is - if you change too much, it's no longer RTW, but something completely different. I wouldn't want to see that. I love RTW for what it basically is. I think the modest improvements I've mentioned above could be done without changing the basic character of the game too much.
    At least, I would hope. Interesting thread topic.
    "Those who would sacrifice a generation to realize an ideal are the enemies of mankind."
    -- Eric Hoffer

"Everyone after he has been fully trained, will be like His teacher." -- Luke 6:40

i rather CA get the unit more realistic than increase it's graphic,first it increase it's graphic but my PC can't play it,for what???i rather they get the unit being designed more actually historically correct ,players love to command these beautiful army.......
    Last edited by guineawolf; 12-27-2008 at 07:56.
    In all warfare,speed is the key!

Hi,
    what you describe has been the dream of many for years prior to the release of RTW - and yet the designers did try to outdo themselves (commercially) with RTW and achieved it. I would be very surprised if they touch the Roman Period again (and they might because there is a huge fanbase for it) if they stick to the vision you set out. They will most likely *re-invent* it like they did with M2. Now this for some is a good thing - for others, like you and me i guess is bad.

!it burnsus!
    Last edited by gollum; 12-27-2008 at 08:33.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Did you have played the too medieval's.The campaign arent same.Yeah new rome maybe goood with better diplomacy more historicaly that will be funny

Posting Like A Ninja! Member Knight of Ne's Avatar

I would love too see a greater number of both settlements and factions in a new Rome Total War as sometimes the campaign feels a little 'empty'. I would also want to see a better ai and more diversity in the units. Apart from that i wouldnt change much.

But it must not use Steam, its far too much hassle.

Ne

also, when buildings burn, people could run out and try to kill the army, or just jump out on top of someone and kill them, or the army burns the home etc. on homes. people praying and they then enter and kill them
    Normal life shows people in fights, or galdiatriol fights, or races, or people entering and leaving homes, it would be nice to get them involed, they made it after all and helped citys by killing a few, didn't they?
    anyway, i ahve strated to wirte a e-mail to CA about R2TW and what do you think of it so far?
    Over the last few years or weeks or months people have been talking about R2TW, with the ability to change towns, destroy towns, navy battles, having the skill of the general come into battle, rescreach tree, about 60 units on the battle map for each army, more of millions of people in towns and cities then hundreds, horses who die but not their rider, the pilium bending in the shields, in times when towns are under threat, the rectuing taking no time at all,
    (spelling will be better)
    A good genarel does not ask who commands an army, but where they are. He will enage all who attack him.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456