Thread: Facebook Accounts

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Default Facebook Accounts

I've heard of a couple of my friends having their facebook accounts 'hacked' and changed. Recently one of my friend's accounts was turned into a spam dispenser, telling me all about free ringtones.

How does this happen? Is it where I enter a website and it automatically takes over my account or what? What can I do to prevent it?
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

Default Re: Facebook Accounts

I don't have any social networking site accounts, but 90% of the time when someone gets 'hacked' they weren't careful with their password and it got passed around or was easily guessed. I'm sure there are other vulnerabilities, especially if Facebook lets you add widgets from questionable 3rd parties to your page.

Basic security and data preservation techniques apply. Backup everything you actually care about, use a good password, and don't use content whose provenence is uncertain.

Default Re: Facebook Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by Ramses II CP
    I don't have any social networking site accounts, but 90% of the time when someone gets 'hacked' they weren't careful with their password and it got passed around or was easily guessed. I'm sure there are other vulnerabilities, especially if Facebook lets you add widgets from questionable 3rd parties to your page.

Basic security and data preservation techniques apply. Backup everything you actually care about, use a good password, and don't use content whose provenence is uncertain.