Thread: AOR questions

Default AOR questions

As the title says. It seems that the Ptolomaic Galatians have a pretty expansive AOR, which I believe has been mentioned as the likely cause of recurring bloated Ptolemaic Empires in 1.0. I can understand the Egyptian area, but why so far East? I could see the AOR hugging the coast and going into the areas where Galatians can be recruited as regionals (ie following the original trek that led so many Galatians to Egypt) but it does perplex me about the eastward expansion, which, when coupled with the Native MIC sharing between Ptolies and AS makes for insta-boffo when the Ptolies get rolling.
    Also, why does Baktria get the Klerouch Phalangites in both the Native and Regional MICs? It seems to deter the building of Baktrian Native MICs in conquered AS lands since they have insta access via the shared Regional MIC. I have no problem with them being able to recruit Klerouchs wherever the AS could (even though they can't), but wouldn't it make more sense for that to be done in the Native as opposed to Regional MIC? At least then it would encourage Baktria to build Native MICs (or so I would hope).
    And, why can't Chalkis, Crete, or Rhodos recruit the Greek Phalanx after the vanilla Marian happens for the KH? Outside of Pergamon/Mytilene, did none of the other Asia Minor/Ionian Greek settlements ever seriously adopt Successor tactics? Or was it more of a "they didn't last long enough as independent poleis' to ever really adopt the tactics"? And what's with Gandhara being able to recruit the Greek Hoplite-Phalanx? It just seems so...removed.
    Finally, why can the Romani not recruit many of the standard Celt regionals in Gaul proper whereas they can do so in all other Celtic lands? The only reason I can think of is that it makes holding Gaul a little tougher when playing as the Romani since you are perpetually forced to send in useful troops rather than use locals, since it goes levy spears, missile unit, missile unit, then finally good line troops in Neitos at L4 and finally Brihentin at L5 in Gaul, which basically means that until you have eliminated all competition in Gaul you're not having any useful regionals that can make a semi-decent army on their own. Mind you, its not a complaint since I feel it adds a nice dimension to planning as the Romani, I'm just curious for the reasoning.
    Balloons:
    From gamegeek2 for my awesome AI expansion -
    From machinor for 'splainin -

Default Re: AOR questions

As for your last question: the Gauls can't either. Seriously though: that's a relatively limitted area as far as recruitment of Celtic regionals goes. If you want the real Celtic crazyness but don't get Celtic reforms (i.e.: you are not a Celt yourself) you gotta look at those other Celtic tribes... Simply put: the units just are not there in those areas. Dunno why.

And actually, from observing the Ptolemaioi and their armies I am inclined to tell you that while they do recruit a fair share of Galatians (hey, be happy the AI inadvertently does something according to history...) they mostly seem to be very statisfied with the local troops + pikemen.... Pikemen are a known auto-calc problem; much more so than other heavy infantry. (And much more than you'd reasonably expect from how they fare in *real* battles...)
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

True, I had forgotten about the Celtic factions own lack of axemen there too, though they of course get replacements to make up for it. In my experience with Ptolie armies thus far they do love pikes but they love the Galatians almost as much. The only reason I seem to recall it being mentioned is that the since the AS pikes will in effect neutralize the Ptolie ones its the other units being fielded that will make the big difference. And Galatian Klerouchs will basically demolish the non-elites of the AS. Plus it seems that all the AS neighbors love to pick on it as soon as the Ptolies begin to get an edge, thus hastening the demise and leaving the AS cities not as well developed and thus lacking the elite infantry needed to counter the Galatians. And then of course there is the unavoidable experience scourge that will make FMs gods in autocalc. Though the biggest effect is noted in the Sweboz, who will eventually steamroll the Celts with triple gold FMs unless one of them gets a lot of lucky breaks and becomes a power soon enough.
    Also, if one were so inclined to work on pikes' (and other units') auto-calc issues, how would one go about doing so? I've always wanted to find a way to tone down pikes in auto calc and beef up HAs some to at least make it more "realistic" and give the nomads a fighting chance.
    Balloons:

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios
    Pikemen are a known auto-calc problem; much more so than other heavy infantry.
    ...they are ? Since when ?
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

*bump* No answer? And here I was all curious too. In any case I was hoping to distract a little from the (bi-)monthly Threads Of Doom which have popped up again.
    Balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by LordCurlyton
    Also, why does Baktria get the Klerouch Phalangites in both the Native and Regional MICs? It seems to deter the building of Baktrian Native MICs in conquered AS lands since they have insta access via the shared Regional MIC. I have no problem with them being able to recruit Klerouchs wherever the AS could (even though they can't), but wouldn't it make more sense for that to be done in the Native as opposed to Regional MIC? At least then it would encourage Baktria to build Native MICs (or so I would hope).
    this one was answered just recently, and being fixed in 1.1 i think - something about tax increase/pop bonus....oh wait, as i think and type, it may well be being fixed in EB2 - check out the threads there, there may have been something quite obvious about the klerouchs etc.....

sorry that's a bit vague, it's been a long day. the general theme was:
    klerouchs are much like pantadapoi or so (sorry if i'm getting confused) but also farm lands, so tax bonus if they are in a garrison, but then tax loss if they get moved out to campaign.

as to the baktria/seleucid thing...not sure about that fix.

f
    Last edited by zooeyglass; 03-13-2008 at 13:13.
    inde consilivm mihi pavca de Avgvsto et extrema tradere, mox Tiberii principatum et cetera, sine ira et stvdio, qvorvm cavsas procvl habeo.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

The Ptolemaic Galatians will have a reduced AoR in the next release...