Poll: How much of the map do you generally own before calling it a day?

Thread: How much of the map do you usually conquer?

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Default How much of the map do you usually conquer?

While reading Youngie's thread, I've become curious as to how far into a MTW campaign most people actually get. How many people prefer to conquer the entire map, how many of us call it a day once they've gotten the 60% victory, etc.?

Obviously people who normally play GA mode aren't really going for a specific percentage of the map per se, but it'd still be interesting to know how much of the map you generally own as well.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Default Re: How much of the map do you usually conquer?

Usually less than 60%, though if I reach 60% I will usually go a little further.

This campaign (VI Welsh/Hard/Huge units) has now got to the point where it has ceased to be interesting. The point is that I can probably win the map easily and it's just a case of blitzing the last few provinces.

Last edited by caravel; 03-10-2008 at 20:40.

Mostly less than 60% here too! Although, I've been over the 60% 'lesser' win, I find more challenging to start again as the faction you wiped out first in the previous game. Just to prove that i'm better than the AI

I've never conquered 100%, been close, but the 1453 end point, civil wars and papal re-emergences always foil me.

Revolutionary Member The New Che Guevara's Avatar

I usually go 100% out of force of habit. But I usually am happy, I take a break at 60%
    The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle. The workers have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to gain. Workers of the world, UNITE! - Karl Marx, The Communist Manifesto

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I almost always take the 60% win, though I've gotten to 100% domination twice, once with the Turks, and once with the Hungarians.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

The Ultimate Grand Inquisitor! Member UltraWar's Avatar

If there was no Civil War events, I would go for 100%, otherwise, 60% will do me fine.

Dear Portugal.

GAH!!

Wandering Fool Senior Member bamff's Avatar

I tend not to aim up at a percentage....I prefer to go from start to finish time-wise....and that also can be a challenge of one's stamina, stubborness, and patience!

Young Paladin Member Ravencroft's Avatar

usually around 60%, but since I play GA, there's usually no pressure on my part. But I usually lose interest by the time I get a huge part of the map.
    The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.

New to the Org? Say Hi Here!

The Main Hall for Medieval:Total War

Quote Originally Posted by bamff
    I tend not to aim up at a percentage....I prefer to go from start to finish time-wise....and that also can be a challenge of one's stamina, stubborness, and patience!
    Same here. I prefer to keep my goals somewhat flexible.

That said, I do often seem to wind up playing til I've obtained the minor (60%) victory. It's just that usually I wasn't specifically aiming for it.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

I voted 60-100% - I usually call it a day now on the European map at 60%, but on the VI map, I do like to take it to 110% and grab everything, including the Viking lands. Like most people I find the "early years" to be most fun and most challenging, and usually given the choice of plugging on with an inevitable victory for my humungous, fully-teched armies led by 9 star uber-generals or scratting around in a single province with two bent sticks, an inbred king and some urban militia, I'll take the latter
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Default Sv: How much of the map do you usually conquer?

I often find in MTW that taking the 3-4 last provinces, especially when you play catholic, means dealing with a returning pope, and a major naval power i never attacked before (Italians often). The loyalty drop that occurs in the last invasion can create very interesting situations.

Senior Member Senior Member Jxrc's Avatar

Usually stops when the game is basically won unless I end up in a civil war. Usually that would mean less than 60%.

Sometimes I keep going of a while just to get high-tech units but it's usually not that fun IMHO.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

The most "interesting" end game I had was probably in my very first game - I was playing on easy so had totally steamrollered the entire map with my Almohads, I had about three or four provinces left to go, in the steppes. I was thinking, "I've nearly finished, just grab these last few provinces and it's ALL MINE, mwahahahaha" (as you do...) But, it being my first game, I didn't realise what was about to happen... the year was 1229
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Default Sv: How much of the map do you usually conquer?

I had a few big collapses (several reappearances + rebellions) several times when trying to take the last provinces with a mad laugh as well...

My first Golden horde though, man, that was something. I still remember the adrenaline when I saw the piles....

Its an interesting point to consider. I voted for between 60%-100%, as i too tend to also lose interest in when there is no chance of losing. Has anyone ever considered or practiced restricting each faction to a single provence, thus enabling control on their growth. maybe if the map was concurred quickly and aids such as .worksundays. were used. you could literally play god and draw the boarders how you see fit. plus quicker build time leaves you with ample time for this
    Beach Bobbin Bob Champion - 532

or wonder of his hwe men hade
    set in his semblaunt sene
    he ferde as freke were fade
    and oueral enker grene

Great wonder of the knight
    Folk had in hall, I ween,
    Full fierce he was to sight,
    And over all bright green.

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, 1423ad

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

On the VI map, 110%. The number of provinces helps, doesn't take as long to manage each turn.

For the grand campaign, at least 60%. Depending on what's left, I'll go for more.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus
    ...scratting around in a single province with two bent sticks, an inbred king and some urban militia...
    Two bent sticks? Ah, so you teched up...
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS
    Maximus, have you considered commanding your wife to go bake a pie? That'll give you a few hours of peace, and then surprise! Pie!

Anime Nerd Member Kenshin the vega bound's Avatar

I just make a small empire, and get a big fleet. I then send my armys overseas to smash other factions that get too big.

I find managing a big empire to be really boring.

i usually go till the point where the whole world attacks me. At that point fighting continous large battles every turn gets old. it helps if you are catholic, because you can crusade to keep help keep one faction from owning the entire middle east, and if you are smart you won't be have to worry to much against fellow catholics. You can get them to be exocommunitcated and then take their lands.

I usually get close to 60%, but sometimes I end up declaring victory before I reach it. Fighting huge battles against poorly put together enemy armies isn't very entertaining.

The Golden Horde.....everyone remembers their first time. a huge army dwarfing anything you can put in the field appears out of nowhere and starts storming around the steppes laying waste to all and sundry.

Man did I get my arse handed to me the first time.

I've just completed My Volga-Bulgars high campaign on expert. Took the 60% option and was grateful when it finally came. Bashkorts for the win. Without these guys the VB's would be totally screwed.

I like small kingdoms and when victory is secured and it is only a matter of time, I'll just be done with it.
    The purpose of a fish trap is to catch fish, and when the fish are caught, the trap is forgotten. The purpose of a rabbit snare is to catch rabbits. When the rabbits are caught, the snare is forgotten. The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.

Member Member Knight of the Rose's Avatar

During the 4 years I've been playing this game, I've never reached the 60% mark. I always quit when I spend more physically time moving troops to the front than considering the next strategic advancement. It is so much more fun, IMHO, to be fighting for your very existance, so I tend to start a new game very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of the Rose
    During the 4 years I've been playing this game, I've never reached the 60% mark. I always quit when I spend more physically time moving troops to the front than considering the next strategic advancement. It is so much more fun, IMHO, to be fighting for your very existance, so I tend to start a new game very often.
    A valid point.

Welcome to the Org, by the way!

Default Sv: Re: How much of the map do you usually conquer?

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of the Rose
    Good point ideed.

Senior Member Senior Member Jxrc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heidrek
    The Golden Horde.....everyone remembers their first time. a huge army dwarfing anything you can put in the field appears out of nowhere and starts storming around the steppes laying waste to all and sundry.
    Probably more of a shock for those who first met the GH with V installed.

My "first time" was with the vanilla version. Very scared when they appeared, battle started and their line up was two units of MHC + 14 catapults, mortars and mangonel. Got me my first "skilled defender" "Patient defender" would have been more accurate .... Those were the days