Thread: disengaging cavalry...

Young Paladin Member Ravencroft's Avatar

Default disengaging cavalry...

I'm having a hard time disengaging my cavalry after a charge. I use Ctrl+W to disengage them, but they simply are stuck there,so to speak.

Help,what should I do?

Ravencroft
    The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.

New to the Org? Say Hi Here!

The Main Hall for Medieval:Total War

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Default Re: disengaging cavalry...

To get cavalry units to withdraw, I usually do end up just double left-clicking on a spot a short distance away from the battle. Ctrl+W does work sometimes, but not always.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

I knew that...

What I really mean is, that when i disengage i find my cavalry getting bogged down by the enemy as they withdraw.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravencroft
    I knew that...

What I really mean is, that when i disengage i find my cavalry getting bogged down by the enemy as they withdraw.
    Perhaps you've migrated to MTW from one of the newer games such as M2TW or RTW? In those games it's easy to pull cavalry out of melee, they can simply turn their backs and run. MTW is not the same. Disengaging any unit is difficult and at times you're better of leaving them too it and sending in some back up first. Once the relief unit is in, it's easier to pull your unit out and casualties are lessened. Basically the battle model of STW/MTW is totally different to RTW/M2TW. When I try to pull my units out of melee I tend to first switch them to "hold formation" this forces them to form up, then I double left click somewhere to their rear repeatedly until they're out.

Trouble is; if only one man is still harassed by the enemy, the whole unit you try to disengage still thinks it is fighting. Sometimes almost all op the unit will be retreating but for one man, and the whole unit will turn to fight some more.
    Wij Friezen buigen alleen voor God!
    (We Friesians bow only to God!)

Default Sv: disengaging cavalry...

Yes, and it depends a bit of the unit. I Remember being mad at a Turcoman horses unit because they were "touched" by a melee unit whil manoeuvering. Improssible to run, they were "stuck"... Until the last horse in melee fell. 15 seconds lost...

But on another hand, I think it's normal not to be able of runnig freely when someone swings an axe in front of you. Have you ever tried to turn your back on someone fighting you? when you're engaged, you have to do something to disengage: feint, hit&run...
    Last edited by Caerfanan; 03-11-2008 at 10:44.

I'd like to thank you all.

Originally Posted by caravel
    Perhaps you've migrated to MTW from one of the newer games such as M2TW or RTW?
    No not really, MTW's my first(and only) TW game (hopefully searching for the Eras compilation) so far.
    Last edited by Ravencroft; 03-11-2008 at 13:06.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

A while back, didn't someone suggest switching to "hold formation" and "hold position", then double-clicking away from the fight? I'll have to try that some time, usually I just leave them in the fight.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone
    A while back, didn't someone suggest switching to "hold formation" and "hold position", then double-clicking away from the fight? I'll have to try that some time, usually I just leave them in the fight.
    Engage at will means that units will break formation and follow enemies when attacking, hold formation is more defensive and units will not pull out of formation. It makes perfect sense to switch to at least hold formation before pulling a unit out out as it will stop the unit "getting stuck" to enemy units on the way. Hold formation also transfers a point of attack to defence IIRC.
    Last edited by caravel; 03-11-2008 at 15:32.

If you are really desperate to save the unit, you can always order them to Rout. If they are far from the map edge, you'll probably be able to rally them before they run away for good. This is really a last resort though as you have no control of the unit while it's routing.

I find it's sometimes helpful to press the pause, press the STOP button and then double click somewhere. Clicking Stop seems to make a difference sometimes.
    Last edited by Heidrek; 03-12-2008 at 03:15.

My first tip for cavalry is not to let them get mired with the enemy in the first place - unless you're confident that the enemy unit will break almost immediately.

For heavy spear/lance cavalry, their strongest feature is their charge +attack stat. So, instead, I usually micromanage my heavy cavalry pretty closely to take maximum advantage of this.

Send them charging in and then keep an eye on the enemy unit's numbers. They will deplete quite rapidly after the initial impact and then, a second or two later, the charge bonus will diminish and the kills will start to slow.

That's when you should pull them out.

I find that my cavalry disengage quite easily using this technique along with Caravel's suggestion of switching to "hold formation".
    Last edited by Roark; 03-12-2008 at 03:26.

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

True, I believe that was from Frogbeastegg's guide to MTW. I think.
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Default Sv: Re: disengaging cavalry...

Quote Originally Posted by caravel
    Engage at will means that units will break formation and follow enemies when attacking, hold formation is more defensive and units will not pull out of formation. It makes perfect sense to switch to at least hold formation before pulling a unit out out as it will stop the unit "getting stuck" to enemy units on the way. Hold formation also transfers a point of attack to defence IIRC.
    Yeah, i noted that wth halberds on a bridge... They tend to follow stupidly routing horses, and with hoild formation, it's easier to make them stop going in the attacking enemy's arms.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Sv: Re: disengaging cavalry...

Quote Originally Posted by Caerfanan
    Yeah, i noted that wth halberds on a bridge... They tend to follow stupidly routing horses, and with hoild formation, it's easier to make them stop going in the attacking enemy's arms.
    Hold Position is your friend here. It's saved me on defensive battle many times, when my eyes strayed to the fringes of the battlefield.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Default Re: Sv: Re: disengaging cavalry...

When charging I always single click. Never have a unit run into a charge. The unit will automatically go into a charge when it gets to the right distance it doesn't need to be running. If you run it in, it may end up too close and not in good order which means that it may not charge at all, but run up to the enemy and start meleeing. The best way to check that a unit is charging is to keep the mouse over them. If the unit is reported as "attacking" it's charging, if it's reported as "fighting" that means it's meleeing. Once the charge has lost it's oomph and the kill rate has dropped it is then a good idea to withdraw it, as described by Roark above and bring the unit around for another charge.

You can also keep attacking/pursuing units formed by keeping them in hold position until they make contact with the enemy then switch them back. This helps the unit stay together and stops it getting fragmented.
    Last edited by caravel; 03-12-2008 at 16:17.

Default Sv: Re: Sv: Re: disengaging cavalry...

Hold Position is your friend here. It's saved me on defensive battle many times, when my eyes strayed to the fringes of the battlefield.
    Yes as well. I so remember a two bridges battle where I stayed too long on one bridge, ignoring the other.. My halberds had engaged combat, pursued fleeing enemies, got surroounded and wiped out, and let an open bottle. I realiesd when the mogol heavy cavs charged my "reserv" units. Ooooo the pain...

Well thanks a lot. I'm gonna try these tactics when I get home.