Thread: Giving away provences

Default Giving away provences

I was wondering what is everyones opinion on giving away provinces as a gift. i have started giving places away to my enemies neighbors and i sometimes find this benifical.

has anyone else ever traded a provence tactically, if so why?

Also does this have any effect on reputation or standings can it be seen as weak.
    Beach Bobbin Bob Champion - 532

or wonder of his hwe men hade
    set in his semblaunt sene
    he ferde as freke were fade
    and oueral enker grene

Great wonder of the knight
    Folk had in hall, I ween,
    Full fierce he was to sight,
    And over all bright green.

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, 1423ad

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Giving away provences

I think I have never traded my settlements away ..
    There have been times when I have wanted to do this but diplomacy failed .. they allways say something like "this is too generous, we can't accept this!" ..
    even when they are down to there last settlement

But giving some settlements to the senate might be a good ideea ..
    i read somewhere that AI do not attack them (might be wrong) so giving settlements to them and using them as a buffer against your enemys is something to think about ...

Deranged rock ape Member Quirinus's Avatar

It's strategically sound-- it might shore up a losing ally while not entangling yourself on a new front at the same time, but in my experience it's very difficult to convince people to trade or even accept provinces from you. According to Omanes Alexendrapolites, providing a small yearly tribute for a large amount of turns might make the AI more likely to accept it, though I haven't had the chance to test this myself.
    WARNING! This baseline signature should never appear on screen!

Can you give provinces to the rebels. It can be seen as a waste of money but it might just buy you time, destracting them. when your factions against the ropes.
    Beach Bobbin Bob Champion - 532

or wonder of his hwe men hade
    set in his semblaunt sene
    he ferde as freke were fade
    and oueral enker grene

Great wonder of the knight
    Folk had in hall, I ween,
    Full fierce he was to sight,
    And over all bright green.

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, 1423ad

Post Re: Giving away provences

Quote Originally Posted by Youngie
    I was wondering what is everyones opinion on giving away provinces as a gift. i have started giving places away to my enemies neighbors and i sometimes find this benifical.

has anyone else ever traded a provence tactically, if so why?
    Quite often. Overseas and fairly out of the way colonies/groups of colonies which I cannot/will not be able to maintain sucessfully are my usual candidate for this. I always abbandon Lilybaeum as Carthage for example to prevent the Romans getting involved with me too early.
    Also does this have any effect on reputation or standings can it be seen as weak.
    Too much thought there Youngie! The AI does have some vague reputation opinions of you, but these are totally invisible and there is very little logic to it whatsoever. Regardless of what you do diplomatically, you have nothing much to worry about losing in the chances of future diplomatic scenarios working out.
    Can you give provinces to the rebels. It can be seen as a waste of money but it might just buy you time, destracting them. when your factions against the ropes.
    Nope - the rebels cannot have diplomatic deals offered to them. If by a chance the rebels gain a diplomat, through a faction being destroyed with suriving diplomat, however, they can offer items to you (you still cannot counter-offer though).

Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omanes Alexandrapolites
    the rebels cannot have diplomatic deals offered to them. If by a chance the rebels gain a diplomat, through a faction being destroyed with suriving diplomat, however, they can offer items to you (you still cannot counter-offer though).

I once convinced the Rebels to cease fire and ally with me against the Romans. That was the only time I ever found a Rebel diplomat.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

hmm I have just answered this, lots of money sweetens the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Brave
    hmm I have just answered this, lots of money sweetens the deal.
    Yes it does. Gifting your ally money over many turns certainly does allow them to accept a province. I too do it for strategic reasons.

What I would do, if you wanted to give a province to the rebels is abandon it. In one game I the julii had control of all of western europe and the brutii much of the east, being at war with them and the possibility of 1 of my neighboring settlements being attacked by them, i abandoned the city and destroyed every building i could. For 1 turn it was controlled by the rebels, until the brutii conquered it. In a way it benefitted me cause my borders were expanding faster then i could get the economy stable enough to support the expansion.

Undergrad08

Heh I never gave a settlement to any of the other factions to improve relations, but, but.... I sometimes gave them away when it were real problem cities. If you done the wrong thing ( for example occupy instead of enslave), and settlement is almost rebelling I just give it away to one of my ennemies, and while reconquering it later, I enslave them
    hehe poor people