Thread: Emporions Colony

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Default Emporions Colony

Hi, a quick question for the cunning members of this forum.
    In the building description of the uniqe temple (can´t remember it´s name right now) placed in Emporion a colony founded by Emporion further down the Spanish coast is mentioned, but its name is not. I have also been unable to find its name in any other sources, both EB and other ones, so my question is what is the name of this colony, and if any one is aware of it, what is this colony´s history.
    For those who wonder, this is just out of idle curiosity, and a slight fascination of Greek colonies in the western Mediterranean.
    Anyway, all answers are appreciated, even spammy ones.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Default Re: Emporions Colony

Arse *hehe* is a greek city farther down the coast.

I thought so to, but doesn´t the Massilians Hoplites description mention Arse being founded by Massilia and Phoacea? If not, I am truly an idiot.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Emporions Colony

Arsé is Saguntum afaik. I dunno though, but it's certainly not Barcelona, Barcelona is a Punic foundation.

Not Just A Name; A Way Of Life Member Sarcasm's Avatar

Arsé was NOT a greek city, it is was an Edetani oppida. However, the port town that served it (much like Portus and Ostia for Rome, or Piraeus and Phaleron for Athens) was essentially populated by Greek and Hellenised traders, and was probably their main source of revenue. These guys probably had enough political influence to convince the oppida's leadership to act much like Emporion and other Greek colonists elsewhere, and side with Rome against Carthaginian hegemony.

The fact that it was a major fortification controlling the main coastal road, that would conceivably side with the enemy once hostilities commenced, meant the city would inevitably be subjected to an 8-month siege. There's actually still enough evidence on the extensive punic circumvalation works and even Hannibal's main camp that allows us to reconstruct them with some degree of certainty.

When Hannibal finally destroys the fortified city in 219, killing, enslaving or dispersing its population, the port takes it's place as the major settlement in the area. It's only quite a bit after the Romans take over that the name Saguntum comes into play.

BTW, other Greek settlements include Portus Menusios, Portus Menesthei, Mainake, Heraklia, Alonis, Akra Leuke, Artemision, Hemeroskopeion and Rhode, just north of Emporion.
    Last edited by Sarcasm; 03-13-2008 at 16:06.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

-- Oscar Wilde

Sarcasm is absolutely right. The westernmost Hellenic colony was near what is now known as Gibraltar, surrounded by Punic colonies, of course.

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinLobster
    Arse *hehe* is a greek city farther down the coast.
    As ever Arse wasn't just greek but the greeks took the blame for whatever happened to it...

Just because most greeks were tolerant of others' sexual drives, and didn't swept everything under the rug much like everyone else in the known world from before them and up until now.

Even to this day speaking favorably of those seeking love in peculiar places gets you branded...

General Hooker anyone?

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Very interesting, but I´m still wondering which one of these colonies were founded by Emporion.
    The Appomination

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Quote Originally Posted by General Appo
    Very interesting, but I´m still wondering which one of these colonies were founded by Emporion.
    I believe that would be "Hemeroskopeion".
    BLARGH!

Not Just A Name; A Way Of Life Member Sarcasm's Avatar

My sources tell me that Hemeroskopeion was in fact a Massiliote colony founded along with two other smaller towns between the Sucro river (probably the Júcar) and New Carthage. Artemision was a very small settlement at the edge of a promontory that had a very respected temple of the Ephesian Artemis. So you're probably right, it's this colony, but it wasn't Emporiate.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

-- Oscar Wilde

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm
    My sources tell me that Hemeroskopeion was in fact a Massiliote colony founded along with two other smaller towns between the Sucro river (probably the Júcar) and New Carthage. Artemision was a very small settlement at the edge of a promontory that had a very respected temple of the Ephesian Artemis. So you're probably right, it's this colony, but it wasn't Emporiate.

I recall reading in a Spanish thesis some months ago that Hemeroskopeion had been founded by both Emporion and Massilia. I could be wrong though, since it was a simple name. Or was it Herakleia? Bleh, don't really remember.
    BLARGH!

I think I know what town you are speaking of and it is on the tip of my tongue, but I can not remember it right now. I will check my sources and get back to here.
    Finished Campaigns
    Lusotannan 0.8
    Quarthadastim 0.8
    Sab'yn 1.0
    Romani 1.0
    Ongoing Campaigns
    Lusotannan 1.2

Long may the barbarians continue, I pray, if not to love us, at least to hate one another,seeing that, as fate bears remorselessly on the empire, fortune can offer no greater boon now than discord amoung our enemies - Tacitus