Thread: The Irish Units

Default The Irish Units

Being Irish, one of the big draws of EB for me was the great selection of Goidilic units. In fact, a few of these units seem almost too cool to be true - if it wernt for EB's usually rigorous historical accuracy, I would suspect they were fantasy units.
    That said, I understand that with most models a degree of imagination has to be employed, or else there would be very few units in the game.
    My question is does anyone know where I can get at the information/ evidence they were based on?
    In particular Im talking about the Ordmalica and Dubosaverlacica (and the apparently related Basque unit, the Dosidataskeli).

Also, I've got to note that in the unit descriptions certain things are stated as fact which are actualy only theoretical (controversial, even). For example the connection between the Fir Bolg and the Belgae, or an Iberian presence Ireland. Im interested in these theories myself, there may well be some truth in them, but it should be noted that theories is all they are. Unless there is some new evidence I'm not aware of?
    The artist formerly known as Johnny5.

Default Re: The Irish Units

Quote Originally Posted by lobf
    You need to seriously reconsider how you conduct yourself on this board. Your attitude in rushing to post material declaring us to be fanciful before the team responds to the original poster is getting very tiring to say the least.

i also thought the irish units were cool. like the two handed hammer guys and stuff.
    Last edited by quackingduck; 03-13-2008 at 22:07.
    Thank you EB team

Quote Originally Posted by abou
    You need to seriously reconsider how you conduct yourself on this board. Your attitude in rushing to post material declaring us to be fanciful before the team responds to the original poster is getting very tiring to say the least.
    What are you talking about?

I didn't call you "fanciful". The guy wanted to know about the sources you guys used for the Irish units. That topic thoroughly covers that entire subject. Thus, everything he needed to know.

And should I be waiting for EB team members to post first to every topic?

Remove the stick, dude. Relax.

Edit- and if you're tired of all the topics regarding the Irish info, well I don't know what to tell you. I brought it up for the first time since October as far as I can remember, and I have no control over the people who brought it up again and again after I did.
    Last edited by lobf; 03-13-2008 at 23:25.

@lobf: problem is that, perhaps you may simply wish to point out something - on more than one (this) occassion you have managed ... to misjudge your audience, to put it mildly. Misdjugement of your audience lead to posting things which can be easily conceived as being rude. In this occasion you post a link to someone's private rant over a matter which has been discussed ad nauseam as far as more than one person on the board is concerned, like what?, just a day ago ? You could directly quote the material you intend to refer to instead, no? And upon reading the thread again I still think the man was not being fair nor true; something you can easily understand of why, I am sure?

Really fora rarely lend themselves for ambiguous replies (they are more often than not taken the wrong way, due to said ambiguity), cryptic replies (not everyone is a native speaker, and not everyone has the same 'view' on the world), or jokes involving other members. Heck, RL doesn't either.
    --------------------------------------
    From the thread earlier linked to:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...4&postcount=36

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...9&postcount=81

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...6&postcount=85

You will have to make do with that.
    EDIT2: Since I am too lazy to sort & quote all the tidbits. Since you can find many/much of the counter-argument(s) in the quoted posts I didn't bother linking to those as well.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 03-13-2008 at 23:58.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios
    @lobf: problem is that, perhaps you may simply wish to point out something - on more than one (this) occassion you have managed ... to misjudge your audience, to put it mildly. Misdjugement of your audience lead to posting things which can be easily conceived as being rude.
    My intention was certainly not to be rude. It's hard to properly convey the meaning of what one says over the internet.

In this occasion you post a link to someone's private rant over a matter which has been discussed ad nauseam as far as more than one person on the board is concerned, like what?, just a day ago ? You could directly quote the material you intend to refer to instead, no?
    Private rant? It's not going to solve anything to start arguing over that thread again, but, at least in the beginning, Riadach was pretty level headed and reasonable. And what's the difference if I quote the guy or link the entire thread? There's a lot of information in there on each page, and I'd rather let this dude find what he's looking for on his own, rather than go through and find the most important parts for him.

And upon reading the thread again I still think the man was not being fair nor true; something you can easily understand of why, I am sure?
    I'm having trouble understanding this. But if you're commenting on Riadach's attitude, it's besides the point and irrelevant.

Dosidataskeli are mentioned by hoplites of Emporion (not sure which of the greek colonies in the region fought against them, Emporion is the more likely one) who fought against them and lived to tell about it.

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Thank you EB team

I'm not talking to the team and I haven't spoken in an ill manner towards the mod. I directed someone to a topic where someone else did that, but there was also valuable information there that the original poster was looking for.

@ Tellos & abou: I didn't intend to start an argument here, just curious.
    I wasn't aware of the hassle attached to this issue, but having read the thread lobf linked to I am certainly better informed. I don't understand why lobf is now being chastised - both sides had their say on that thread.
    Not wishing to reopen this debate, but I don't think Riadach's argument can fairly be called a rant. On several occasions he was effectively told that an EB source was infallible, and that to question this was arrogant.
    I understand the source in question is highly thought of by the team, and that the team often has to deal with baseless and unfair complaints and accusations being thrown at them. Maybe people have itchy trigger fingers when it comes to defending the mod as a result.
    To those that disagree with me - I stress again I am not trying to start an argument, merely stating things as I see them. I have great respect for the team, EB is an absolute masterpiece. In any case I understand this issue is being looked at, so it's all good.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by keravnos
    Dosidataskeli are mentioned by hoplites of Emporion (not sure which of the greek colonies in the region fought against them, Emporion is the more likely one) who fought against them and lived to tell about it.
    Interesting, can you suggest any reading?

I would just like to remind Jaywalker that as he says, if there are many 'theories' as to eg, what shape the decorations on a centurions helmet were, then you have to choose one, especially if the evidence gives no obvious answer to one or the other. If one of those that happens to give you ultra cool guys with masks and twohanded hammers, so much the better, and none the less historically accurate overall.
    Ultimate Excellence Lies

Not In Winning

Every Battle

But In Defeating the Enemy

Without Ever Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker-Jack
    Interesting, can you suggest any reading?
    Seconded! I'd love to read about that if someone could tell me the book or post a quote.

Cheers,
    "He who throws his shield away, lives to fight another day!"

Im just glad that Ireland has finaly been included in something, im from Waterford Ireland and I often get the feeling that Ireland is ignored by movies and games etc. (dont even mention kingdoms, that had the worst accents and most boaring camoaign ever)
    Last edited by Hibernia; 03-15-2008 at 13:36.
    Anyone with battlefield 2142 check out the First Strike Mod.