Thread: Is EBII campaign Longer in time and years ?

Talking Is EBII campaign Longer in time and years ?

will it have more years ?
    because i would like to play EBII if it was like a little longer
    like it starts from 273 bc and it ends on 100 ac .
    nothing special .
    i just would like to play a longer campaign
    Edvard0
    Only the evil will triumph if good men do nothing .
    Edmund . . . .

The Galatian, AtB Member Member Admetos's Avatar

Default Re: Is EBII campaign Longer in time and years ?

The problem with that is that the extra 90 years would require their own new units, which means that model slots would need to be freed up, thus lessening the accuracy and on the timeframe at the moment.
    Last edited by Admetos; 03-16-2008 at 01:36.

Support Asia ton Barbaron, the Eastern Mod for EB, on The Guild and TWC.
    Former barman at the EB Tavern.
    My balloons:

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Adding those hundred years would not only require more units, but there were factions that came and when in the time frame and the limited faction slots would take away realism of that late time period.

I don't think anyone has reached the current end date (AD14) in EB1, anyways. Besides, by the time you've played that long, even if there were new factions, nothing would be a challenge anymore.

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Why make the campaign go to 100 AD when almost no players has reached further then 100 BC? Just a load of work that nobody will ever benefit from.
    Besides, if at 14 AD you still have a challenge with anything but civil disorder, then you either suck or have deliberately done nothing at all for hundreds of years.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

I think it would make more sense to reduce the timeframe. Let it run from 272bc to the Marians (or whatever), then do a second campaign starting roughly when the first ends.

That way you could have factions that are "questionable" in 272BC (Parthia, Bactria) in the later campaign without bending the truth.

You'd get around one of RTW's Achille's heels, the way the the "barbarian" factions don't learn (e.g. to build paved roads) as they become more urbanised.

You'd get around the game starting to become boring after you hit 30-50 provinces and the opposition turn into speed bumps, and the distance to capital penalties cause more difficulty than the enemy.

You'd mitigate the disconnect between the actual history that the EB team privilege and the alternate history that players create in the game by reducing the scope for factions to expand non-historically.

Fight like a meatgrinder

WotD 2D graphic Dude Member Gebeleisis's Avatar

K.I.S

keep it simple

Quote Originally Posted by eddy_purpus
    will it have more years ?
    because i would like to play EBII if it was like a little longer
    like it starts from 273 bc and it ends on 100 ac .
    nothing special .
    i just would like to play a longer campaign
    So you aren't satisfied with the 1136 turns that EB has?

Please note that EB has 4 turns in a year, which amounts to 2 times longer campaign than in vanilla Rome Total War. I don't know of Medieval 2 but I'd reckon it is about the same as Rome.
    Last edited by Puupertti Ruma; 03-25-2008 at 14:06.
    Call me Ruma. Puupertti Ruma.

In Medieval there's 1 turn per 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by Ailfertes
    In Medieval there's 1 turn per 2 years
    oh yeah, God knows I hate it when marching from London to Scotland takes over 6 years!
    Alcohol is the cause and solution to all of man's issues

Baloonz: by Pharnakles
    by Jebivjetar (es bastante loco)

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

But characters still only age 6 months per turn, so your general usually live for like 300 years even though the game says they´re only 75. Stupid game.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

That has been fixed though.

On topic, unfortunatly not feasible i expect, as it would neccesitate the inclusion of (dare i say it?)

*whispers*

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Lorica Segmenatata
    Ultimate Excellence Lies

Not In Winning

Every Battle

But In Defeating the Enemy

Without Ever Fighting

Some concepts:

1) Alpaca's 4tpy script for M2TW;
    2) The Late Period Project, pehaps on day in the future it shall live ?
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 04-07-2008 at 22:44.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

2) The Late Period Project, pehaps on day in the future it shall live ?
    Lo! Heareth Tellos Athenaios spread Ye Darke Rumours!
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Morte66
    I think it would make more sense to reduce the timeframe. Let it run from 272bc to the Marians (or whatever), then do a second campaign starting roughly when the first ends.

That way you could have factions that are "questionable" in 272BC (Parthia, Bactria) in the later campaign without bending the truth.

You'd get around one of RTW's Achille's heels, the way the the "barbarian" factions don't learn (e.g. to build paved roads) as they become more urbanised.

You'd get around the game starting to become boring after you hit 30-50 provinces and the opposition turn into speed bumps, and the distance to capital penalties cause more difficulty than the enemy.

You'd mitigate the disconnect between the actual history that the EB team privilege and the alternate history that players create in the game by reducing the scope for factions to expand non-historically.

That would be perfect, so It won't happen. :(

In the late campaign, we can have some interesting factions, and the roman juggernaut could be divided in a cool civil war (the first or the second triunvirate).
    "Iustitia procurat pacem et iniuria bellum, humilia verba sunt nuntii pacis et superba, belli." (Ramon Llull)

Heh, EB is more than long enough as it is. I've yet to sit through an entire campaign, and if they keep making new versions.... God, I'll end up starting campaigns over for the rest of my life. Can't wait for EB III, btw.

I have never managed to get further than something like 160 b.C in a campaign. (Playing as Saba in EB 1.0)

Therefore, I think that the length of the campaign is great just as it is, as even though I have played for ca. 448 turns (4*112), more than half of the game's time span is still ahead of me.
    Then again, I don't think that the team had any plans to change it anyway...

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers
    On topic, unfortunatly not feasible i expect, as it would neccesitate the inclusion of (dare i say it?)

*whispers*

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Lorica Segmenatata
    A shocking prospect!
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by Morte66

I think this could be an excellent idea to add a bit to what is already a quite complete game.
    It wouldnt require any new units since EB already covers this period, and I dont think that anyone will complain that there is less scope for development (many of the advanced buildings will have been already made). It would just be a different experience; maybe a little less "complete" than the original, but with the novelty of playing out a different historical situation. It could be done by simply (er, not so simply, I know...) making a new map, and giving the appropriate reforms and buildings to factions.
    As a side note, my own specialty is late Hellenistic history (religion in particular) so if anyone is planning on following up on this, I would be very happy to help with the historical reseach/advice.

To make the longer games more exciting and not just a fight against public order, can't it be coded that the longer you hold a settlement, the more "incorporated" it becomes with the owner faction and public order is reduced.
    Likstrandens ormar som spyr blod och etter, Ni som blint trampar Draugs harg
    På knä I Eljudne mottag död mans dom, Mot död och helsvite, ert öde och pinoplats

It would be an incredible amount of work to have two campaigns. Different leaders, different scripts, different starting positions, different important cities, etc. We won't be making two campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    It would be an incredible amount of work to have two campaigns. Different leaders, different scripts, different starting positions, different important cities, etc. We won't be making two campaigns.
    Uh ok, cool; good to know.
    If anyone would be interested in modding EB with me; well, like I said late Hellenistic History is my academic area of focus so I could provide a lot of the background reasearch grunt work. Well for the Roman and Hellenic factions anyways, although I could also cover some of the other ones, I'm sure. My knowledge of computer programming ends as ctrl+alt+del, so someone else would have to help out with the implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    Good to hear. I think I prefer one long campaign anyway.