Thread: Lusotannan House Rules?

Default Lusotannan House Rules?

Greetings All!
    I am looking for any historically accurate house rules that anybody uses for their Lusotanni campaigns. I am deep in a Romani Campaign now, but it looks like the Lusotanni will be next up. Any ideas?
    Finished Campaigns
    Lusotannan 0.8
    Quarthadastim 0.8
    Sab'yn 1.0
    Romani 1.0
    Ongoing Campaigns
    Lusotannan 1.2

Long may the barbarians continue, I pray, if not to love us, at least to hate one another,seeing that, as fate bears remorselessly on the empire, fortune can offer no greater boon now than discord amoung our enemies - Tacitus

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Default Re: Lusotannan House Rules?

Don't know about historical accuracy but I played following these. I'll try a partly different approach next time.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Not Just A Name; A Way Of Life Member Sarcasm's Avatar

Seems alright except the Lusitani did not have kings per se. There wasn't a single method in which they chose leaders, but there's a few that seem to be common.

• It was tradition (so it was a cultural thing, not really out of necessity), that all the second-sons should gather each year at various locations, and go on raiding missions to neighbouring tribes. The result of this was that those that could not inherit anything, would gain personal property through these depredations.

• Besides the situation above, you had actual warbands that came together for specific missions. Kinda like "People, we're going to Tribola to take a few heads of cattle and hopefully get some kind of bribe to go away. Whoever wants to go, be at Oxtrakae in 2 months time.". This kind of thing could obviously escalate into an army roving around and pillaging an entire area for extended periods of time or even an outright invasion. A few influential guys might come together and actually take control of the situation. Think Dane expeditions.

• If any of these expeditions had no clear leadership and they got into deep shit, they would elect a warleader on the spot. Whoever wanted made a speech, and based on eloquence, bravery and war prowess, they would choose someone to take control of the entire force. This is of course a very bad way to command an army, and unless you've got an extremely capable man on the job that can keep the entire thing from falling apart in a battle. A poor commander will let the internal divisions of his army break it apart and as was customary with Lusitani, have it disperse in the countryside.

• Major cities, is where the first ruling families appear. But really only on a local level, and more like major influence on the matters of the oppida/castra than any official kingship. The first real Lusitani regnum (in the strict sense) was created during the Roman invasions.
    Last edited by Sarcasm; 03-17-2008 at 04:36.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

-- Oscar Wilde

Thanks for this.

I role-played a certain chieftain (Tantalos) subduing everybody around by the will of Endovellikos (it's in my unfinished, not posted Annals of Lusotana), setting the ground for clearing Iberia from the Poeni, defeating the Arverni confederation and tackling Roma, eventually eradicating them too; in the meantime founding his own legacy and dynasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre
    Thanks for this.

I role-played a certain chieftain (Tantalos) subduing everybody around by the will of Endovellikos (it's in my unfinished, not posted Annals of Lusotana), setting the ground for clearing Iberia from the Poeni, defeating the Arverni confederation and tackling Roma, eventually eradicating them too; in the meantime founding his own legacy and dynasty.
    Ah, religious warfare is it? It's actually a neat coincidence that I was actually discussing this sort of affair with another member the other day. The discussion was around if wether or not the destruction of Conistorgis, the capital of the Cynetes - a celticised tribe in south of modern Portugal - was motivated in part by their monotheistic ways, as they worshipped a single snake-God apparently. Of course we will never know, but they seemed tolerant and accepting of other tribes' gods when they didn't outright adopt them, so why act differently here? They also didn't raze that many towns, unlike the Romans, but here they seem to adopt a different attitude, so maybe there's something to the theory.
    Last edited by Sarcasm; 03-18-2008 at 02:30.

-- Oscar Wilde

Well, not exactly religious warfare but rather religious flavoured opportunism. My Tantalos & co. wanted to become the sole hegemon of whatever they could reach and apparently made up a legend to fit their agenda.

Still, you come up with great bits of information each time. Thanks again!

Ah I see! So when do we get to see an AAR from you?

-- Oscar Wilde

Sarcasm,
    Your post (#3) has some good info. Any ideas on how I might work this into the game? Role-playing or otherwise? Any English language books on the Lusotani in the EB time period?
    Finished Campaigns
    Lusotannan 0.8
    Quarthadastim 0.8
    Sab'yn 1.0
    Romani 1.0
    Ongoing Campaigns
    Lusotannan 1.2

Long may the barbarians continue, I pray, if not to love us, at least to hate one another,seeing that, as fate bears remorselessly on the empire, fortune can offer no greater boon now than discord amoung our enemies - Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Tacitus
    Sarcasm,
    Your post (#3) has some good info. Any ideas on how I might work this into the game? Role-playing or otherwise? Any English language books on the Lusotani in the EB time period?
    Hmmm, dude you already asked me that before in the "Army Strength" thread, and I responded then, so check it out.

-- Oscar Wilde

I KNEW that sounded familiar when I typed it.
    Forgive me.
    Finished Campaigns
    Lusotannan 0.8
    Quarthadastim 0.8
    Sab'yn 1.0
    Romani 1.0
    Ongoing Campaigns
    Lusotannan 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm
    Ah I see! So when do we get to see an AAR from you?
    I think I'll finish off my campaign first, then type the rest. Doesn't really cope with my laziness but the Spring coming helps.