Thread: Casse drugs

Default Casse drugs

In my Casse campaign one of my FM developed a trait where by he was a recereational drug user. I was wondering if anyone know of which herbs/drugs were used recreationally at the time?

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Default Re: Casse drugs

Opium; some poisonous mushrooms, beladona, ergot, I dunno
    wait..there's a recreational drug user in EB?
    *Ibrahim runs to EB casse to see for himself*
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

This place called 'rooms,' there's a whole chain of them.

We can clearly deduce LSD. Because the Beatles used LSD and they were British. Logic wins again! You might change history with that general and end up having "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" written 2000 years early.
    Colder than a gut-shot bitch wolf dog with nine suckin' pups pulling a #4 trap up a hill in the dead of winter in the middle of a snowstorm with a mouth full of porcupine quills.

My videos

Quote Originally Posted by stupac
    We can clearly deduce LSD. Because the Beatles used LSD and they were British. Logic wins again! You might change history with that general and end up having "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" written 2000 years early.
    Well... They could've inadvertently (more or less) gotten to "enjoy" the effects of LSD.
    I has two balloons!

Well, alcoholism exists, but as a seperate trait. The Casse, the most likely candidates? Mushrooms, certainly, very ancient hallucinogen, and a general psychedelic. Opium would be too foreign. But, cannabis (marijuana), for a wealthy noble? He could potentially import that. Cannabis was hardly unknown, the Greek word kánnabis was probably ultimately from a Scythian word. This particular plant was probably smoked through much of Europe, because we have terms for it as far as iron age Britain. However, this ignores the religious aspects (many Celts viewed things we would view today as 'drugs' intended to induce visions).

In a short reasoning (I tend to ramble, a friend has said I should not), the Britons, and most ancients, were not in the least bit unfamiliar with many, many drugs. Mushrooms, weeds, roots, various strengths of alcohol they hadn't quite quantified. Indian goods were exported as far as Britain, but even then, only a few in each generation would probably have a chance for opium. These were drugs. So a drug addicated character represents one, wealthy enough to not be a drunk, but a 'pothead', or just in general a drug addict, indulging in foreign drugs that cannot be imported and grown. It's a dicey bit.

The appelation is mainly because we know Celts were engaged in drugs, and weren't adverse to them at all, and some things we know of imply they even desired such drugs. ...Kind of like modern folks.
    "The friendship that can cease has never been real." - St. Jerome

"You will find something more in woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you that which you can never learn from masters." - St. Bernard

Like the Parthian Boot Member Elmetiacos's Avatar

I'll shut up...
    'you owe it to that famous chick general whose name starts with a B'
    OILAM TREBOPALA INDI PORCOM LAEBO INDI INTAM PECINAM ELMETIACUI

LSD-like effect can be achieved from a fungi which forms on rotten wheat.

There is evidence of marijuana use going back to the neolithic age in Europe. Wiki cites a find of burnt marijuana seeds in a brazier in Romania, but I seem to recall reading about more significant evidence. If we could find a Gallic dime-bag, we'd be in business.
    "I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams." -Hamlet, II, ii

"Historians and others attempt to pin the tail on the reluctant monkey of change." -excerpt from a real college essay, from Ignorance is Blitz by Anders Henriksson

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaberHRE
    LSD-like effect can be achieved from a fungi which forms on rotten wheat.
    That one AFAIK tended to give you something of a "bad trip" though. Commonly assumed to be the main culprit behind werewolf legends, doubly so as those are noticeably lacking from local folklore in Scandinavia where grain has for a very long time been barn-dried (which requires access to lots of firewood, but also helpfully ousts all kinds of little creepy-crawlies from the harvest... and keeps quirky molds from setting up shop in damp grain)...
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Voluntarily suffering ergot poisoning is a bit unlikely. It makes you quite ill.

TC, don't feel left out. We are legion.

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

Quote Originally Posted by Elmetiacos
    Voluntarily suffering ergot poisoning is a bit unlikely. It makes you quite ill.

Ever seen 'TRIBE': the documentary with Bruce Parry? One tribe used a particularly nasty hallucinogen in spiritual initiation ceremonies, and a small amount made Bruce spend the most part of a day vomiting and fevering, but twice the amount did little more than widen the eyes of the shamans who took this stuff every year for most of their lives. Maybe it's just an aquired taste, so to speak?
    Ultimate Excellence Lies

Not In Winning

Every Battle

But In Defeating the Enemy

Without Ever Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Well, alcoholism exists, but as a seperate trait. The Casse, the most likely candidates? Mushrooms, certainly, very ancient hallucinogen, and a general psychedelic. Opium would be too foreign. But, cannabis (marijuana), for a wealthy noble? He could potentially import that. Cannabis was hardly unknown, the Greek word kánnabis was probably ultimately from a Scythian word. This particular plant was probably smoked through much of Europe, because we have terms for it as far as iron age Britain. However, this ignores the religious aspects (many Celts viewed things we would view today as 'drugs' intended to induce visions).

In a short reasoning (I tend to ramble, a friend has said I should not), the Britons, and most ancients, were not in the least bit unfamiliar with many, many drugs. Mushrooms, weeds, roots, various strengths of alcohol they hadn't quite quantified. Indian goods were exported as far as Britain, but even then, only a few in each generation would probably have a chance for opium. These were drugs. So a drug addicated character represents one, wealthy enough to not be a drunk, but a 'pothead', or just in general a drug addict, indulging in foreign drugs that cannot be imported and grown. It's a dicey bit.

The appelation is mainly because we know Celts were engaged in drugs, and weren't adverse to them at all, and some things we know of imply they even desired such drugs. ...Kind of like modern folks.
    actually Opium was known and very common among the elite classes then; it was grown in Kypros for millenia. I don't see why not have them.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Wasn't Opium first domesticated in Western Europe anyway?

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
    -Michael Palin

I think it's actually in Kypros (so I was told)

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers
    Ever seen 'TRIBE': the documentary with Bruce Parry? One tribe used a particularly nasty hallucinogen in spiritual initiation ceremonies, and a small amount made Bruce spend the most part of a day vomiting and fevering, but twice the amount did little more than widen the eyes of the shamans who took this stuff every year for most of their lives. Maybe it's just an aquired taste, so to speak?
    When I say 'quite ill', the symptoms are somewhat worse than a nasty headache and an upset stomach. There was an outbreak of ergot poisoning in a village in France in the 1950s. 135 people had to go to hospital and 6 died.