Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How old was your oldest-ever character in EB?

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Default How old was your oldest-ever character in EB?

I was just strolling around the net a few days ago when I bumped into a screenshot of a 113 old Roman General from vanilla RTW. I was like: "Well...Maybe he never smoked!"

Then, just recalling that moment, I thought: "Can Generals get as old as that fossil in EB?" Well, out of my experience, as far as I remember, the oldest guy I saw was my Lusitani Faction Leader with 79 years old. So I wonder who will be the heroic General who may recieve the title of "Eldest General of EB".
    BLARGH!

Default Re: How old was your oldest-ever character in EB?

well i had one carthaginian 106 years old... Don't remember if it was on EB or RTR.... i'll try to find the screenshot that i made at the time
    (to bad it's on my other computer back home... i'll have to wait till friday)
    Last edited by anubis88; 03-17-2008 at 20:26.
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Wheras Ive never had a character make it to 80
    Alcohol is the cause and solution to all of man's issues

Baloonz: by Pharnakles
    by Jebivjetar (es bastante loco)

The Rabbit Nibbler Member Korlon's Avatar

If I recall correctly, there's a age (126 I think) where the age basically resets. So if a character gets there, he effectively becomes age 0 and can live a whole ton of time again. My oldest general has only been 73 I think, but I rarely check.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Remanent or Supremacy - An EB Pontos AAR - Unfortunately postponed indefinitely.
    1.1 Saka Rauka Gameplay Guide
    1.1 Lusotannan Gameplay Guide

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In Eb non of my generals ever have lived over 75 years...
    In my current Romani campaign I think that my faction leader (almost 72) has the chanche to beat that "record"

In my RTW:BI I had a gothic general who survived 3 hords and 2 plagues just to die by the hands of the brigands .. oh well .. thats life .. he was IIRC 93 then ...

The oldest I've seen was a Scipii diplomat in vanilla, think he was 90

None of my EB characters have lived over 65, maybe my kingdom has no alcohol/drug-restriction laws. All my generals have a 'none' trait for alcohol and drugs.

Savaran Commander Member Hound of Ulster's Avatar

as the Gauls in RTR, my faction lived to be about 90.
    'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' Plato

'Ar nDuctas' O'Dougherty clan motto

'In Peace, sons bury thier fathers; In War, fathers bury thier sons' Thucydides

'Forth Eorlingas!' motto of the Riders of Rohan

'dammit, In for a Penny, In for a Pound!' the Duke of Wellington

after my generals hit 60 i kinda consider them dead cause i know they're most likely gonna die somtime in the next 5 yrs, so i can't count on them to do anything.
    Thank you EB team

Marcus Dentatus, at the age of 97 in one of my campaigns. He had the privilege to see through the Marian reforms. He died as a raving mad lunatic with +10 Influence.

The oldest I can remember was in his 70s when he finally kicked the bucket. I say "finally" because it seems that the incompetents live longest.
    "I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams." -Hamlet, II, ii

"Historians and others attempt to pin the tail on the reluctant monkey of change." -excerpt from a real college essay, from Ignorance is Blitz by Anders Henriksson

That's because nothing bothers to kill them off.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Appius Africanus is 67 in my Romani campaign. 8 command. 7 management. 10 Influence. He's been on campaign so long, he only has 18 bodyguards. Double silver chevron, Possible reformer. Imperator. blah, blah, blah. He is the best general I've ever had in EB (ton of other good traits & ancilliaries as well) And d@%$# it. I just know he's going pass soon.
    Finished Campaigns
    Lusotannan 0.8
    Quarthadastim 0.8
    Sab'yn 1.0
    Romani 1.0
    Ongoing Campaigns
    Lusotannan 1.2

Long may the barbarians continue, I pray, if not to love us, at least to hate one another,seeing that, as fate bears remorselessly on the empire, fortune can offer no greater boon now than discord amoung our enemies - Tacitus

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Save/reload every turn until he rolls over to 0. It resets the trigger.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

I had a guy live to be 96 (both a diplomat of Arche Seleukeia and a diplomat for roman julii in Rome total war vanilla)
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Witchety Grub Member KhaziOfKalabara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky
    Save/reload every turn until he rolls over to 0. It resets the trigger.
    How does saving and reloading affect it? I'm keen to avoid having older family members hanging around too long cluttering up the map and if I can do something to encourage them to die of natural causes, I'll do it.

I don't like sending FMs off to certain death... unless I'm playing the Maks and have a particularly treacherous nephew *cough* Alexandros Argeades *cough* to kill off.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken

Just make Alexandros your faction heir. Man, he's my faction leader in 1.1, and oh my gods, does he ROCK!
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Hax
    Just make Alexandros your faction heir. Man, he's my faction leader in 1.1, and oh my gods, does he ROCK!
    he is a fantastic faction leader, definitely - such a rising star. he's now about 70 in my campaign and shows no sign of flagging. in fact, if anything he's more pimp.
    inde consilivm mihi pavca de Avgvsto et extrema tradere, mox Tiberii principatum et cetera, sine ira et stvdio, qvorvm cavsas procvl habeo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hax
    he's my faction leader in 1.1,
    ok, now that's just cruel
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88
    ok, now that's just cruel
    i just realised that. oh sigh.
    inde consilivm mihi pavca de Avgvsto et extrema tradere, mox Tiberii principatum et cetera, sine ira et stvdio, qvorvm cavsas procvl habeo.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KhaziOfKalabara
    How does saving and reloading affect it? I'm keen to avoid having older family members hanging around too long cluttering up the map and if I can do something to encourage them to die of natural causes, I'll do it.

I don't like sending FMs off to certain death... unless I'm playing the Maks and have a particularly treacherous nephew *cough* Alexandros Argeades *cough* to kill off.
    I believe that the random generator rolls whether or not a character will die at the begining of the turn, so save/reloading the previous turn basically gives you a do over.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

death is just the beginning Member marodeur's Avatar

never saw anybody get past 75. those who get old are normally those you dump in some backwater town where you can forget about them. probably they are getting this old because the ai also forgets them ?

I had a Ptolemaic general who didn't live fantastically long--he maybe got into his 70's. What was remarkable about him, though, was that through his late 60's he was classified as "middle-aged." Combined with his affinity for swimming in the Nile and leading his outnumbered veteran army to victory throughout Nubia and Ethiopia, this guy was pretty much the most badass general ever.
    Balloons collected:
    Campaigns completed: Vanilla Armenia, Vanilla BI Western Roman Empire and Berbers

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

I´ve heard strange rumours in dark dens from lowlife scums (a moderator over at official forums to be exact) that a guy once managed to have his Vanilla general become just 126 and then reset, apparently when this guy won his campaign the general was something like 9 years old, but still kicking ass for Rome. Of course, rumours such as these should always be doubted.
    In EB, the oldest I think is 83, Scipio Asina (yes, that Asina) lived to be that age. He governed Arretium for like 50 years or something.
    All the really good ones seem to die realy early though, Quintus Gallicus went at 65, Appius Julius Ceasar at 67, Marcus Asiaticus at 59, Caius Augustus at 66, Titus Germanicus at 71. *Realises I´m rambling names no one has ever heard of* *Shuts up*
    Ah, the good Roman times. Damn I wished I was a good AAR writer, I could have made a great story of all that happened there.

Edit: Just saw Ecramers post. You think that´s bad, I had a Merceneray Hellenistic General who Pselkis for 40 years. Until he was 60 something he was not Middle-Aged, but Mature. He also had Swims in the Nileou, Cat-Killer and Desert Warrior. Yeah I know, I´m a story topper.
    Last edited by General Appo; 03-18-2008 at 20:25.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Perhaps not the oldest guy, but in my last roleplay wise unsuccessful Romani game I had a Quintus Cornelius Sulla marry into the Claudian family. Interestingly he was a great guy sharp/charismatic/vigorous BUT in his 50's. Still I decided that a Sulla name was needed. First 2 years were focused on study and putting down revolts. Soon at age 55 Sulla headed to Illyria, Macedonia and Greece to fought for some 10 years, to gain 4 stars, imperator, conqueror of, and other nice traits. Died peacefully sometime in his 70's, and managed to sire a heir! Who likewise would become a nice general.

So the guy really made his career at age of 50.

EB Concept Artist Member fenix3279's Avatar

I remember my oldest. It was some Roman general by the name of Opius. Dude lived to be 108. Not the best general ever but he was decent. It was hard to imagine how some crazy ol' coot like him, was able to command legions for as long as he did.

Anyone know which culture had the longest life expectancy? I assume it was Rome. Because of the cleanliness and all. Maybe that's just a common misconception because they DID share baths. What about the celts? Using soap goes a long way
    My balloon collection

That which does not kill me makes me stronger ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

When you smoke the herb, it reveals to yourself ~ Bob Marley

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Arabs-for they were clean and lived in a hot dry climate (one guy in the 7th century lived to be 120)-I can't find a roman who lived that long
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

a Roman FM who got 99 years old
    Yet Brutus says he was ambitious, and Brutus is an honorable man

In my Pontos campaign, I've yet to get a FM past 65! I think the oldest FM I ever had was a Makedonian General who lived to be about 76 or so. He was clownshoes though.
    Only a few seek liberty; the majority seek nothing more than fair masters - Sallust

A lie told often enough becomes truth - Vladimir Lenin

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Tacitus
    Appius Africanus is 67 in my Romani campaign. 8 command. 7 management. 10 Influence. He's been on campaign so long, he only has 18 bodyguards. Double silver chevron, Possible reformer. Imperator. blah, blah, blah. He is the best general I've ever had in EB (ton of other good traits & ancilliaries as well) And d@%$# it. I just know he's going pass soon.

And so it goes...

Appius Africanus passed peacefully at the grand old age of 69. On campaign in Numidia. What great fun it was role-playing this old warrior - on the strategic map and the tactical battlefield.
    Finished Campaigns
    Lusotannan 0.8
    Quarthadastim 0.8
    Sab'yn 1.0
    Romani 1.0
    Ongoing Campaigns
    Lusotannan 1.2

Long may the barbarians continue, I pray, if not to love us, at least to hate one another,seeing that, as fate bears remorselessly on the empire, fortune can offer no greater boon now than discord amoung our enemies - Tacitus

In my Casse (cis)alpine liberation campaign Barae is 81 and still going despite being on fairly permanent campaign since he was 30. He just sacked Roma.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast