Thread: Could we finally enable -strat_ed ??

Default Could we finally enable -strat_ed ??

I've been digging around the old RTW Demo rome.exe with an HEX editor and found quite a lot of stuff, mostly related to to all sorts of editing and overview tools that are embedded in the exe.
    Even though the RomeTW.exe, RomeTW-BI/ALX.exe seem to give out less information, they too contain a lot of references to strat_ed and it's features.
    The main proof of that is the huge amount of strategy map editor related options (and there's a lot more than just that..); and if they are embedded in the exe then there must be a way to enable it.

Apparently it looks for files in world/maps/campaign/custom/"mycampaign"/,
    specifically for descr_strat.txt and for the first "campaign" entry followed by the campaign name.
    It also seems to be able to generate most of the necessary files for the whole map and allows for almost complete edit of the campaign map.

Now, the -battle_ed command line option works quite simple (-battle_ed:trebia), but I haven't still figure out how to make the -strat_ed switch work. Perhaps it has been locked somehow and needs some other command line switch, or additional files.

I'd gladly hear the opinion of the community on this and their ideas on this feature. There simply must be a way to enable it.

There are also campaign map overview and model view tools, but that goes beyond the intended boundaries of this topic.
    I'd also recommend visiting SigniferOne's ancient topic with command lines from demo exe.

Default Re: Could we finally enable -strat_ed ??

As there don't seem to be many people interested in this, I'll just include some outtakes of code from the BI exe

Code:
    cmd line switches:
    sw  ne  ae  no_tnl  nm  na  force_default_hz    blank_ui_caches report_missing_images
    validate_models 
    unit_models 
    encrypt 
    sound   
    animdb  
    util    
    fpex    
    fperr   
    fplog   
    enable_editor   
    disr    
    bookmark    Can't have a name longer than 256 characters.   
    imperial_campaign   .   
    mod 
    default_campaign    
    multirun    
    battle  
    strat   
    battle_ed     -battle_ed:Trebia
    sprite_script   
    show_err    
    no_exit_error   
    capture_video   
    capture_audio   
    movie_cam   
    fbc 
    enter_battles   
    ai  
    unlock_campaign 
    output_con_cmds ;documentation/console_commands.txt  
    sp  
    engine  
    custom  
    engine_shadow   
    rtm 
    strat_ed  ??-strat_ed:campaign??  
    all 
    playable    
    faction on  info    
    speed   save    
    daytime 

And some campaign options:
    Rome    BI  Unknown 
    defeat_text_bi_style    
    ancillary_ui_bi_style   
    defeat_movie_bi_style   
    prebattle_night_battle_tickbox  
    ai_can_win_campaign 
    strip_unit_ability_text
    Most of those haven't been tested and their effects are unknown.
    Hopefully, someone who is interested in this will give it a shot at testing them?

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

Gotthard over at twcenter was looking into it, and the -strad_ed makes references to files and folders that don't exist in retail release meaning it won't work unless you can recreate the files/folders.
    Last edited by Squid; 04-02-2008 at 18:32.

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Death and Glory TW modder Member Flying Pig's Avatar

However should you copy the Imperial Campaign into the afrorementioned directory it would work and you could then move the modded version?
    Last edited by Flying Pig; 04-14-2008 at 13:14.
    Death And Glory TW Needs You - Sign Up Now! All it takes is one PM!

Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.

Ō zein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tēide
    keimetha tois keinōn rhēmasi peithomenoi.

Go, thou that passeth, to the Spartans tell
    That as per their orders, here we fell.

That didn't work the first time I tried it. I think it's disabled in the public release and one would need a dev version of the executable to make it work.

Death and Glory TW modder Member Flying Pig's Avatar

Oh right. CA? This isn't the only thread on the subject, HELP US!
    Last edited by Flying Pig; 04-14-2008 at 13:57.
    Death And Glory TW Needs You - Sign Up Now! All it takes is one PM!

Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.

Ō zein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tēide
    keimetha tois keinōn rhēmasi peithomenoi.

Go, thou that passeth, to the Spartans tell
    That as per their orders, here we fell.

Bassist, God and Modder Member Thor the Bassist's Avatar

As far as I remember CA's official line on this was it was something they started at the beginning of the project (along with 3d movement of flying units and some other things) and stopped half way through because they realised it had no real use and they should get on with making the awesome game. I believe the required files and entries in the RTW.exe aren't finished and are proberably disabled.
    Last edited by Thor the Bassist; 04-14-2008 at 18:33.

Building for the Future of METW

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

That's what I remember too. CA won't be releasing the Strat Editor I don't think.

And we most proberably cant enable it without changing the .exe. Games are actually quite often released with extra bits of old code still there but disabled as its just more work to delete it. As an example a rude mini-game was part of the original GTA San Andreas but was disabled for the release as it sent the age rating through the roof and many people would refuse to sell it. A modder has since re-enabled the mini-game but this is most likely because RockStar only realised after creation and hastily disabled the code. To do this requires editing the .exe which is illegal for RTW. Also the idea was stopped mid-process so the editor would be half finished and wouldn't work.

So anyone with the required knowledge would proberably be best creating a new editor.
    Last edited by Thor the Bassist; 04-15-2008 at 17:48.

So anyone with the required knowledge would proberably be best creating a new editor.
    There is a height editor isn't there? I'm pretty sure one was released.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal
    There is a height editor isn't there? I'm pretty sure one was released.
    Heights? They are a simple tga aren't they so no editor is needed? Black is low ground white is high ground and shades of grey inbetween?

There are several released campaign editors but all have bugs - one crashes on my computer straight away, another has loads of bugs and one has trouble loading a file from a mod folder. I think the general problem with the idea of a campaign editor is it relies on so many different files and so has a lot to go wrong. I think when people first wanted to edit campaigns they thought they should make a campaign editor. Actually because the system is so fragmented its best to edit each file separately and this has been the approach of most mods.

This is what I believe anyway - if I'm wrong feel free to correct me.
    Last edited by Thor the Bassist; 04-15-2008 at 20:35.

Heights? They are a simple tga aren't they so no editor is needed? Black is low ground white is high ground and shades of grey inbetween?
    Of course but I seem to remember one editor released which allowed you to work on a 3d mesh instead of a tga.

EDIT: for the record, I made all my maps in image editors. I'm just remembering releases which I didn't use myself.
    Last edited by Myrddraal; 04-17-2008 at 17:28.

Well I remember a few "whole campaign" editors but they seemed to crash unendingly.

Proberably is a heights editor as you say.

Well, for what I've learned from digging around the exe, most of the stuff related to the strat editor do indeed exist in the code, even the log commands like in battle editor.
    Only problem is to find the cmd_line.cpp part in the code where it says something like "strat_ed 0//false" and change it with a hex editor.

It seems that the dev were rather going to just disable access from the engine, than remove it completely and risk crashing the exe, so naturally, there must be a way to enable it.

On another note, has anyone noticed that the demo.exe is approximately 900kb bigger than RomeTW release?
    Maybe it would be worth investigating...

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal
    Of course but I seem to remember one editor released which allowed you to work on a 3d mesh instead of a tga.

EDIT: for the record, I made all my maps in image editors. I'm just remembering releases which I didn't use myself.

Well, the time allows you to edit on a 3D like surface, but its very crude in my opinion. There was also Earthsulpt that RedSpot had written a few tutorials for. I tied this as well but was unable to master it as well as RedSpot had. Besides, with the amount of strat editing I do, its just easier to used photoshop and a paintbrush.