Thread: And now for something completely different

Default And now for something completely different

I have 2 campaigns into the ~240-230BC range (Saba & Getai) rolling along, squashing Greeks and (Getai) Romans, using the different MIC & government types . . . so I decide it's time to go back to doing what I like best.

Since I've been in love with HA since Shogun (they really blossomed for me in MTW1 - turks rule!), I decided it's time to head for the steppes. Saka time!

I'm sort of getting the hang of running a Saka economy now, and I'm getting back into the swing of all-cav armies. . .

Point is, this is a completely different game, economically and tactically from the first 2!

BRILLIANT JOB EB TEAM and thank you for your dedication and hard work.

Default Re: And now for something completely different

As someone who did a lot of the nomad system creation and pieced together the art for it: you're welcome! I'm sure Steppe Merc, The Persian Cataphract, Angadil, keravnos, et al. feel the same way.
    Last edited by Teleklos Archelaou; 03-19-2008 at 03:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulan
    Point is, this is a completely different game, economically and tactically from the first 2!

BRILLIANT JOB EB TEAM and thank you for your dedication and hard work.
    after time away from work (thus not posting here) but getting a bit of time with babai, abeakos et al. i'd just like to echo kromulan in saying that the HA-heavy factions play so differently from any other faction, and it's fantastic gameplay. thank you!
    inde consilivm mihi pavca de Avgvsto et extrema tradere, mox Tiberii principatum et cetera, sine ira et stvdio, qvorvm cavsas procvl habeo.

I have no desire to play a Horse Archer faction, but I love having to face them... Those nomads up north really add to the feeling that I am a civilization facing barbarians! My Bactria campaign was not defined by the great war against the Selucids, but rather by the 30 years that I spent with only a weak regional force (the main army being against Selukia) fighting the Saka and burning their villages. Each time I would invade their homeland, another raiding party of HA's would hit my cities, and I would have to retreat to deal with the new threat. The campaign reminded me of the wars between the US army and Native Americans in the 19th century. It lasted for thirty years, and in the end I forced them into a single province that was guarded on all sides by forts and watchtowers. That was my version of a reservation, since I don't like to completely destroy my in-game enemies. All in all, that was the most fun I have had in years playing any game, so although I won't play the HA factions myself, I must say thank you for making the enemies of civilization so resilient... They really add to the gameplay!

Im playing as the Saka at the moment. It has been really fun so far, although, like before, I am starting to struggle. I have destroyed Backtria and pushed the parthians to the two settlements imediatly north and south of the aral sea and beaten back a few grey tides of death. I cant manage to keep my settlements happy without medium sized garrisons and to really get a big cash flow i have to raid Seluekia. Easier said then done when all of a sudden some parthians attack on the north western border, with their pesky dahae nobles and cataphracts.

I wanted to go into the indus region but that means moving armies east and losing cities to the west. Maybe i will just have to give up Backtria and retreat eastwards I hear the indus has a great economy.

I suppose i better also thank those who worked on the nomadic faction.
    As I walked through the Glenshane Pass I heard a young girl mourn
    The boy form Tamlaghtduff 'she cried 'is two years dead and gone'
    How my heart is torn apart this young man to lose
    Oh I'll never see the likes again of my young Francis Hughes ....