Thread: getting the export_units.txt file?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default getting the export_units.txt file?

Hey guys I have the latest python downloaded and the .strings.bin converter tool, and I still cannot get the export_units file to convert. I even tried editing the .bat file as you explained in your read me to convert only that file but it wont do it.

How exactly can I get this file.
    or can I download the .txt version somewhere

thanks
    Cal

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Default Re: getting the export_units.txt file?

Are you referring to export_descr_units.txt or the associated txt.strings.bin file that references unit names for various cultures?

If the former, it is meant to be a txt file and a strings.bin converter won't do anything with it.
    If the latter, you need to unpack it (which I will assume you already have done) and then use the strings.bin converter to convert it to a txt file. Once you are done editing that txt file, you need to place it in a modfolder's data\text directory and load that modfolder. Once you get to main menu, you can exit and will find that the game has converted the txt back into a usable strings.bin file.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Sorry, mabey I should have explained a bit better. I am trying to get the export_units.txt.strings.bin to convert to a txt file. its in the data/text folder. I am trying to make an entirely new unit, and according to mushasi's tutorial I have to edit this file to make my unit work. Appearently the game uses this file to reference the name. So when I went to put my units name in that file I found that the converter I downloaded, did not convert this one. So I tried editing the .bat for the converter to convert only that file, and I tried the convert all, several times, but still wont work. I have already edited the export_descr_unit.txt, I just need the export units one. Do you have any advice on how to get this file? Mabey download it from somewhere....

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

So you have unpacked the file.
    All you'd need to do is have the tool in the same folder and run it, converting everything (i.e. just that file)
    It will then come out as a plain txt file.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

thanks man, I wasnt puting the converter in the actual folder. I got it now. thanks ;)