Thread: A time of change

Member Member Centurion Crastinus's Avatar

Default A time of change

I received this icon when I entered the winter of 175 B.C. as the romans. I said something about getting new units and being able to recruit all throughout my provinces. I assumed that it meant the Marian reforms. However I did not receive the ability to build the new barracks to make the new units. However I realized that you can't get the reforms until 172 B.C. So, my question is what did that icon mean and is my game screwed up because of it.

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Default Re: A time of change

Can´t get the Marians before 172 BC? I got them somehwere around 220 BC.
    Also, what´s up with people not reading the March if Time thing, it´s not like it´s very long. Just read the damn thing when it pops up and you´ll see that it´s a sort of mini-reform that affects mostly eastern factions. The Persians gets some badass Cataphracts as well as their later Bodyguards, I think the same might happen to Baktria, Hay and maybe some of those factions. The KH get´s Greek Pikemen and the Maks get´s Reformed Heavy Phalanx. Possibly some other changes as well.
    The reform occurs when a city with the hidden attribute Italy (not Roma itself) become a Huge City.
    Hold on a minute, are you saying that by 176 BC none of your Italian cities (apart from maybe Roma) were a Huge one? I´ve seen that AI get them to Huge by then.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I would say that half of my cities are huge and the other half are close to being that size. The reason why that they are not all that size is that I prefer to build every building available in a settlement before I upgrade the size of the settlement.

Ok, a slight correction on my part. If you want to get the Marians through ordinary measures (you know, get a Marian general that implemets these changes) you have to wait until 172 BC, but if you manage to take 90 provinces before then you can get them earlier.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Quote Originally Posted by General Appo
    Ok, a slight correction on my part. If you want to get the Marians through ordinary measures (you know, get a Marian general that implemets these changes) you have to wait until 172 BC, but if you manage to take 90 provinces before then you can get them earlier.
    The Vanilla Marians or the EB Marians?
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

The EB ones of course. You can get the Vanilla ones (March of Time in EB) any time.
    The Appomination

So, what your saying is that the icon is irrelevent to the Romans.

Yup.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Thanks

So if you´re really mean, you´ll refuse to make any Italian city a Huge one, thereby stopping your enemies from getting those new better units. Sure you´ll not be able to build omse stuff and you´ll get a hell of a time with the public order, but at least you´ll never have to see a Makedonian Heavy Reformed Phalanx!
    There might be a set date when the reforms will trigger anyway, but if it so then I have not heard of it.
    Also, I think the March of Time should be added to the reforms in the FAQ, might just cut back on some of these threads.
    The Appomination

What?!? Really?

All this time I could have just gone on a blitz... So theoretically you could get the Marians before the Polybian Reforms?
    Last edited by CaesarAugustus; 03-22-2008 at 22:56.

MARMOREAM•RELINQUO•QUAM•LATERICIAM•ACCEPI

No. You must have the Polybians. And from my experience even conquering 90 still requires you to wait until 172 BC. If you've installed am unofficial mod that messes with the reforms then its perfectly possible to start with the Augustans, should you so desire.
    Balloons:
    From gamegeek2 for my awesome AI expansion -
    From machinor for 'splainin -

I sure got the Marians before 172 BC.
    Are you sure about the Polybians? I don´t know enough to check through the script and everything, but I´d be interested to see some proof that you need the Polybians to get Marians. Of course by the time you have 90 regions you´ll by 99,99% chance already have gotten the Polybians.
    The Appomination

Well, what do ya know, I did manage to look through the script and found that it doesn´t say anywhere that you need the Polybian reforms to get the Marian ones. But still, it should be virtually impossible to take 90 regions and still not get the Polybian reforms.
    The Appomination

Or just completely ignore Sicilia and northern Italia.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Well, what do ya know, I did manage to look through the script and found that it doesn´t say anywhere that you need the Polybian reforms to get the Marian ones. But still, it should be virtually impossible to take 90 regions and still not get the Polybian reforms.
    Code:
    ;Unconditional Reforms
    monitor_event FactionTurnEnd FactionType seleucid
    and I_CompareCounter Romanii_Reform = 1
    and I_NumberOfSettlements seleucid > 89

set_counter Romanii_Reform 2
    	set_counter MarianReformsAdvisor 1

terminate_monitor

end_monitor
    Is not I_CompareCounter Romanii_Reform = 1 checking to see if you are at the Polybian Reforms, as Romanii_Reform = 0 would be Camillan?
    EDIT: Though it would appear as if the limit on time for when it can appear HAS been removed. My bad.
    Last edited by LordCurlyton; 03-23-2008 at 01:21.
    Balloons:
    From gamegeek2 for my awesome AI expansion -
    From machinor for 'splainin -

From my experience in a Romani blitz campaign you do need to have the Polybian reforms before you can get the Marian reforms. However, it is perfectly possible to have the Marians hit in 242 BC. This was also true in 0.81.

LordCurlyton is correct.

I have had Marians hit in 208BC for me. So far I have to wait for my FL to die before my engineered popularis faction heir can take over. Another 20 years at least. I'm half considering sending the FL on a suicide mission to Kart-Hadast alone.

Darn, no hysteroi pezhetairoi for me, the Makedonians got annihilated at Ipsos by KH the turn before I had the March of Time...

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Hmmm... wonders what happens if you remove the I_CompareCounter Romanii_Reform = 1 and get the Marians before Polybians, and then get the Polybians?
    Anyway, in my best Romani campaign I got an Augustus at 218 BC, but since the Augustan reforms can´t actually happen until 125 BC I´m kinda out of luck. I mean, by the time I get those reforms I´ll probably have had like 8 different Augustus or something.
    The Appomination

If you remove the counter that says you need to have Polybians before you can hit Marians, you will simply hit Marians. The counter will be set at 2, which makes it impossible then to achieve Polybians (assuming you do not enter other parts of the script).