Thread: Slings Question

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Default Slings Question

Did you use the Ninjastar Projectile for the units with slings?
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Default Re: Slings Question

Probably not, wouldn't that produce a projectile that looks like an arrow when they open fire?
    Now that I think about it, I haven't payed that much attention to my slingers on the field... could be, though I can't speak for Macsen, you'll have to wait. But couldn't you just open up the unit_prod sheets and check? You're a modder, aren't you....
    Last edited by Raz; 03-25-2008 at 07:46.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Haha, yeah. I just checked. Seems he used the ninjastar and the gun projectiles.
    #Hillary4prism

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Well, to be honest, I just took them from HTW, and haven't changed that - the whole projectilestats file has been rewritten for HTW, so don't be deceived by what the projectile is actually called in the prod file, its characteristics could well be very different. In fact I have a small problem arising now that I've resurrected the catapult for the Romans, as the heavy slingers have appropriated the flaming catapult ammo for attacking wooden walls, so as a result the catapult is now useless against wooden walls (it throws a single "pot of burning oil" - it is effectively as strong as a single heavy slinger....) So I need to redefine the catapult's own flaming ammo. One day
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Ha, right. I see. Which projectile from HTW/ATW do you think would be most appropriate for an average slinger?
    #Hillary4prism

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Depends what you mean by "average" really - the way things are the heavy slinger (LT_slinger in the prod file.... don't ask ) is set up for less ammo, but armour-piercing and shorter range, the light slinger (Slinger in the prod file) has much more ammo, longer range, but less deadly. This is to distinguish between those using pre-prepared ammo such as lead sling bullets, and those just using random stones from the ground. The heavies can also use flaming projectiles against wooden walls, useful for sieges.

In HTW the light and heavy slingers were trainable as separate units, but I decided to make just the heavies trainable with the lights being dismounts (though they can crop up in rebellions still). That way the AI is more likely to have the heavies available for sieges, which is where they come in really handy for those factions without siege engines.

I'd also suggest taking a look at the Rhodian slinger stats as well, as they are (should be??) different again, as they use staff slings which were more powerful still. (I re-used Rhodian slingers as Balearic slingers in the Punic campaign...)
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmm... I had always wondered what the point of the two different slingers was. Thanks for answering an unasked question, Macsen.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.