Thread: Titles for sale

Default Titles for sale

Whilst roaming around on the internet i stumbled upon this. http://www.nobility.co.uk/titles37.html

Im a geographer so my knowledge of history is apparent, but not vast. I was under the impression that knighthoods and other honors were illegal to purchase. Ive know of a few cases where local landowners can obtain minor tittles usually for a field. I even heard of one case where a title was bought which gave the owner the power to tax people who used a certain passage.

Could this link be derived from all that, or is it just a hoax.

That first title is most appealing as i am an avid Arsenal fan
    Beach Bobbin Bob Champion - 532

or wonder of his hwe men hade
    set in his semblaunt sene
    he ferde as freke were fade
    and oueral enker grene

Great wonder of the knight
    Folk had in hall, I ween,
    Full fierce he was to sight,
    And over all bright green.

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, 1423ad

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Default Re: Titles for sale

Its a scam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_titles_of_nobility

It is impossible to purchase genuine British titles of nobility or peerage titles directly, with one possible exception: it was possible (until 28 November 2004, when the Abolition of Feudal Tenure etc. (Scotland) Act 2000 came into force) to acquire a feudal title (in meaning: actual title to superiority over territorial entity) to a Scottish barony.
    And its no different with the French titles that is offered.

http://www.heraldica.org/topics/france/titlesale.htm

It is impossible to buy titles of nobility in France today.
    The reason is simple: in modern French law, titles of nobility are a component of the family name, subject to particular rules of transmission. No statutes exist to create or confer property rights in a title. The bearer of a title has no ability to dispose of it, any more than he can dispose of his or her last name.

CBR

While this might not be the thread for the discussion, yet, as I could find no other, how exactly were the titles given? I mean, apart from bravery in battles, and inheritance, how could a common man obtain a title?

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Going to the land where men walk without footprints.

In some periods titles were often given to rich merchants who just paid enough to earn a noble rank.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

"For services rendered" was a pretty common way AFAIK. For example in Early Modern Sweden not a few career adminstrators, soldiers etc. were created nobility as rewards of their services to the Crown and State.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

As far as I know, you can buy a title in Sealand.

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

However, in England where one can change ones name fairly easily by deed poll, I don't think there's anything to stop someone changing their name from John Smith to Lord John of Smithbury.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis