Thread: BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: no longer a one-man mod...

Default BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: no longer a one-man mod...

Slainte, dog-brothers!

From the early days in this mod's conception I had proceeded fully expecting to do the mod myself. I felt that it would only be fair to learn as much as I could and do the work myself instead of being an ineffectual leader of a team cracking whips while more experienced folks create the actual game. However, certain aspects of mod making are proving too difficult for me to do, most importantly the map. Since half the appeal of a Hyborian Age mod is fighting in the Hyborian Age, the map was essential to a release. Some mods would be ok as multiplayer/custom battle mods, but not this one. It needed a campaign where you are part of that world. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to do it.

Well, I need worry no longer, as I am thrilled to announce that The Hyborian Age: Total War is now being developed by a team: joining is cherryfunk of the TWC, whose fantastic work on Roma Surrectum is the talk of the town, and is now going to contribute his talents for The Hyborian Age!

cherryfunk and I have already had some correspondence, and already he's shaken things up with some very intriguing suggestions that I never considered beforehand that could rock the very foundations of the mod (well, not really, but they're really cool). I'm talking with my top scholar to hear his thoughts on it, but in the meantime I thought it would be good to have a thread welcoming cherryfunk.

Here is a thread showcasing some of his fine work on Roma Surrectum.

Now you all be courteous lads, or you'll have yer skulls split to the teeth!
    Last edited by Taranaich; 03-26-2008 at 16:24.

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...
    Is fhearr fheuchainn na bhith san duil.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Default Re: BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: no longer a one-man mod...

Congrats! The map is always a half of the full game, so it's absolutely necessary that it's up to the level of the battlefield part of the game - and it looks like this is a goal well in sight, judging by the earlier work.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

As a long time (20 year+) fan of the great Robert E. Howard and his Hyborian world, it will be an honor to be involved with this mod -- the work Taranaich has done on the factions, units, and overall design is top-notch and shows just how fantastic this mod will be -- total warfare in an age undreamed of!

To fans of sword and sorcery, the opportunity to build empires in the Hyborian age will be a dream come true, while to war gamers the chance to pit ancient vs. medieval arms and tactics (knights vs. Roman-style cohorts, anyone?) will offer a truly unique challenge, something no other mod can offer...

There will be something for everyone in a Hyborian mod -- now we just have to build it! :D

Know , oh prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was a Total War mod undreamed of...

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

Welcome to the .Org,Cherryfunk. May the gods (Crom,especially!) shine upon you and grant you victory in battle.

Fantastic work on Roma Surrectum,Cherry. Hyborian Age: Total War is sounding better than ever now!
    Last edited by Spartan198; 03-28-2008 at 04:28.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Thanks Spartan! This mod does indeed hold much promise, and a truly unique challenge for all Total War players...

As for asking Crom for help, well he's notoriously deaf to such requests, but I guess we can but try...

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we modded, or why we played. All that matters is that two created a mod for many. That's what's important!

Modding pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me a kick-ass mod! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cherryfunk
    Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we modded, or why we played. All that matters is that two created a mod for many. That's what's important!

Modding pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me a kick-ass mod! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!
    Hey,that's a good idea! As soon as I read that,I was going to pray to Mitra,but before I could even utter a word,I heard this,like musical waves beating on a golden beach ---
    Speak not,my son,for I know your need. In two manners may you aid in the creation of this mod,and save it from being overwhelmed by the fangs of the serpent that has drawn many others into the darkness of the ages. Go forth upon these forums,and place your suggestions and ideas with Taranaich and Cherryfunk.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Excellent news, I've been amazed at the extent of progress you've been able to make on your own, but more people can only be a boon to the project. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Antagonist
    "Society is going down the drain, and it's everybody's fault but ours."

Arthurian Total War Developer