Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cant install EB

Default cant install EB

i have windows vista and a clean version of RTW 1.5. i downloaded EB and saved it onto my desktop, and when i did i got an EB icon and a loading screen saying "extracting files from archive". however, the screen i go to next is not an installation screen but a screen to change the way games are saved, repair, or uninstall EB. when i tried changing the way games are saved, it supposedly did so and i went through the process but when i was finished i exited to the desktop and when i click on the EB icon again i got the same message of extracting files from archive and so on. when i hover my mouse over the EB icon it says that it contains the information to install EB but i actually have no way to install and/or play EB because when i clicked on the icon i just get that screen. i have tried several times since then to install the mod but it still doesnt work. how can i completely install EB on my computer?

Default Re: cant install EB

Uninstall your previous installation of EB first. If that fails, use 7-zip to extract the files and create the shortcut manually.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

i think that the problem is that it automatically installs EB for me but it does not locate RTW correctly so it wont work. how can i manually install the mod so i can actually install so it goes to the right location?

Quote Originally Posted by bovi
    use 7-zip to extract the files and create the shortcut manually.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

sorry to keep bothering but what is 7-zip? how do i use it?

Do you know how to use Winzip? Works just the same way. If not, Google knows both where to get it and how to use it.
    Last edited by bovi; 03-29-2008 at 15:29.

================
    ================

what do you mean google knows about it? i searched on google and i got 7-zip website, but i am not particularly good with technology and i have no idea how i can use it to help install EB

Here's a condensed list of what you need to do. I assume some of them will need embellishment, so ask away.

* Download 7-zip.
    * Install 7-zip.
    * Start 7-zip.
    * Navigate in 7-zip to where you have the EB installer, and open it.
    * Drag'n'drop all the files into your RTW directory (there should at least be an EB folder there).
    * Create the shortcut manually.

================
    ================

so i should put all EB and RTW files into the EB file through 7-zip?

I am not entirely sure what you mean, but I'm pretty sure you don't have the right idea. Please say what you've done on each of the points I laid out for you, and ask questions pointing out what you think I mean, so I can correct it.

================
    ================

so far i have downloaded and installed 7-zip on my computer and i want to know exactly what should do next.

i think what im supposed to do next is find the EB files and place them into the RTW file. am i right?

just wondering if there is a simpler solution to this problem, which is: do i want to run or save EB when i click to download and a screen pops up asking if i want to run or save the program? or does it not matter?

just wondering if there is a simpler solution to this problem, which is: do i want to run or save EB when i click to download and a screen pops up asking if i want to run or save the program? or does it not matter?
    No, I don't think that will make any difference, sorry.

So you've installed it, good. You'll have to look in your start menu to start it.

* Download 7-zip.
    * Install 7-zip.
    * Start 7-zip.
    * Drag'n'drop all the files into your RTW directory (there should at least be an EB folder there).

i think what im supposed to do next is find the EB files and place them into the RTW file. am i right?
    Your poor precision with the techy words make me uncertain, but in one interpretation that could be right. You're supposed to unpack the files in the EB installer into the RTW folder.
    Last edited by bovi; 03-29-2008 at 22:14.

================
    ================

yeah... i am not very good with speaking or understanding techy words. i have tried redownloading/installing EB one last time, and if that doesnt work i will try to follow your 7-zip directions but i have one more question which is: i have a total war folder. so in that folder i need to "drag'n'drop" my EB installer into that folder. is this correct or am i totally off? and assuming i am correct, do i also want to "drag'n'drop" the EB game itself into the total war folder, or just the installer?

when i tried installing again the same thing happened =( except this time i only got the installer that allows me to change the way games are saved, reapir or delete but not actually install EB. so should i now try to 7-zip it?

Quote Originally Posted by JRG
    so in that folder i need to "drag'n'drop" my EB installer into that folder.
    No. You need to drag the contents of the installer there. That's what 7-zip does, it allows you to unpack the contents.
    Last edited by bovi; 03-30-2008 at 01:07.

================
    ================

now im really confuzed. what are the contents of the installer? how do i drag the contents into the folder?

Quote Originally Posted by bovi
    * Download 7-zip.
    * Install 7-zip.
    * Start 7-zip.

================
    ================

there is no EB folder in my RTW file. the only EB file i have is the installer.

Barely a levy Member overweightninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JRG
    there is no EB folder in my RTW file. the only EB file i have is the installer.
    You need to take the EB folder FROM the EB installer....using 7zip...or whatever.

JRG, remember that "total war" folder you found? Go back to there and dig around until you find a file called "RomeTW.exe". Remember where that file is.
    Then instead of RUNNING the EB installer, run whatever extraction program you have installed (Bovi has already suggested 7zip), then you need to open the EB installer from WITHIN THAT PROGRAM.
    DO NOT RUN THE FILE EB10.EXE FROM WINDOWS, OPEN UP 7ZIP AND THEN OPEN EB10.EXE FROM WITHIN THERE!
    When you have done this you will then see a folder called EB and a few other files.
    Now make sure you have my computer open on the folder that contains RomeTW.exe as we've already gone through, and simply drag and drop the files from within 7zip/whatever you're using down next to RomeTW.exe.

EDIT
    BTW Bovi...brought you a cup of tea mate, I'm sure you could use one :p
    Last edited by overweightninja; 03-30-2008 at 14:15.

Thanks man, although I should probably stay away from anything containing caffeine...

To make it crystal clear: YOU DO NOT MOVE ANYTHING INTO THE INSTALLER. YOU MOVE EB FROM THE INSTALLER INTO THE RTW FOLDER.

================
    ================

i dont know if you will be able to make it even clearer, but just to be sure, i have found EB10.exe and RTW.exe in 7-zip and i am moving EB10.exe in 7-zip to RTW.exe.

The Rabbit Nibbler Member Korlon's Avatar

Okay, I think it's time for some screen shot help. I'm just going to go download all the necessary stuff first so give me some time to set this up. Probably going to have to give me an hour at the most, though probably half an hour's ok for downloading the EB10.exe file.
    Last edited by Korlon; 03-31-2008 at 04:38.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Remanent or Supremacy - An EB Pontos AAR - Unfortunately postponed indefinitely.
    1.1 Saka Rauka Gameplay Guide
    1.1 Lusotannan Gameplay Guide

EB10.exe is the installer. You do not move the installer. You unpack it. This is a good point to start following instructions.

* Start 7-zip.

You'll find the EB folder inside it. Drag this folder and all the other files you see there into the RTW directory.
    Last edited by bovi; 03-30-2008 at 18:20.

================
    ================

well i have been trying to follow directions and i think i have good news and bad. the good is that i have found an EB folder inside the RTW folder and inside the folder is saved games and preferences. the bad news hich is that when i try to open the EB installer through 7-zip it just goes to the installer screenm, i dont get an eb file. but i think this is because the EB file is in the RTW file. now that i think i do have the EB file in the RTW file, how do i create the shortcut manually?

And sorry for not following/understanding the directions very well so far

The Rabbit Nibbler Member Korlon's Avatar

Okay, I have just made a little screenshot... tutorial I suppose. It might not be the easiest way to do it, but I'm pretty sure you just want to play with it and probably not mind 2 extra minutes of work.

Ok so you opened up 7-zip and see this. Now locate the folder where you have your EB10.exe.

You should see something like this for example.

Now notice the extract button up there, click on it while you highlight the EB10.exe file.

This thing should pop up. Just simply click ok.

Extracting...

Open up the new EB10 folder and you should see this stuff.

Either copy or cut all the files in the folder.

Go to your RTW folder and paste all the stuff there.

You should see something like this afterwards.

Now make a shortcut to desktop of RomeTW.

Right click on the shortcut and click on properties. Then go to the shortcut tab and insert the -mod:eb line to the end of your target line. Click ok, and you're done.

You can also change the icon of your shortcut by clicking on change icon, locating the RTW folder where you pasted your EB stuff, find the ebicon thing and then choosing that to be the icon of your shortcut.
    Last edited by Korlon; 03-30-2008 at 19:12.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Remanent or Supremacy - An EB Pontos AAR - Unfortunately postponed indefinitely.
    1.1 Saka Rauka Gameplay Guide
    1.1 Lusotannan Gameplay Guide

Thank you very much Korlon. I appreciate the time you spent to get that done. Let's hope he understands pictures better than words .

================
    ================

thank you korlon but i am afraid i still cant play the game. i followed all the instructions and made the shortcut of RomeTW, but when i then clicked on it the shortcut merely took me to the unmodified version of RTW.

You need to change the target like it is in the picture. That is, there needs to be -mod:eb in the end of it.

================
    ================

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast