Thread: Tips for AAR's?

Default Tips for AAR's?

So as some of you might have noticed, my AAR Brothers in Arms hasn't been updated in a while. Part of the problem being I don't have the time or motivation for it, when it finally comes around that I prepare to write down what I've played through I just get bored and leave! So how do you guys do it? This is how I write an AAR...

1-play and use fraps to take pictures
    2-open up notepad and go through the pictures, writing down what happens through the turns.
    3-upload the most important pics onto photobucket
    4-write in the AAR, using notepad as my storyline and the pics to spice it up some

So that's how I do it, is there some incredibly easier, faster way to do it? And that aside, any tips you guys have to keep someone motivated to do one of these? Cheers
    Brothers in Arms- A Legionaries AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...86#post1853386

Default Re: Tips for AAR's?

That's pretty much how I write mine too.
    I just photoshop the important screenshots before I upload them.

Try to write about stuff that hasn't happened in the game. Sounds odd I know but make up backstories for the characters, explain away strange things like certain character traits and when there are a few turns of peace, make up a story about some of these characters. Remember your family members aren't just generals - they have families, friends and hobbies. Maybe more role-playing will help you keep interest. I know it helps me.

If you already do this then don't worry. I'll be honest, I only skim-read your AAR so I'm not in a position to criticise.
    Hope this was of some help.
    "Every good barbarian is a Greek, and every bad Greek is worse than a barbarian" - Megas Alexandros

Please read my Getic AAR:
    On Mighty Getia: Commentaries on the Pan-Thracian Empire

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

this is a misc tip: dont buy any other game until you finished it! that i fell victim to.....
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Ask Chirurgeon, he's been writing around here forever, so he should be able to give you some good advice. I only started last week, but I write a much more novelistic story, focusing on my characters. Unfortunately, so far I don't have too many pictures, but that will change. I think focusing on people makes it more fun to follow--my first AAR is still sitting on my hard drive, unposted. It focused on the entire empire and was BORING to write, and I'm sure to read. Good luck!
    “He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.”-Proverbs 16:32

Read my Aedui AAR-"Across the Waters: A Story of the Migration"
    And the sequel "Sword of Albion"

aka Artaserse (the Lone Borg) Member Obelics's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Long lost Caesar
    So as some of you might have noticed, my AAR Brothers in Arms hasn't been updated in a while. Part of the problem being I don't have the time or motivation for it, when it finally comes around that I prepare to write down what I've played through I just get bored and leave! So how do you guys do it? This is how I write an AAR...

1-play and use fraps to take pictures
    2-open up notepad and go through the pictures, writing down what happens through the turns.
    3-upload the most important pics onto photobucket
    4-write in the AAR, using notepad as my storyline and the pics to spice it up some

So that's how I do it, is there some incredibly easier, faster way to do it? And that aside, any tips you guys have to keep someone motivated to do one of these? Cheers
    i thing if you just plays a game progression, the only point that make you go ahead to write the aar, is to show other people how you are playing.
    So you could get bored soon.

If you try to build a story upon it, you could start to get fond of your story, so you want go ahead.
    This dont means that you dont get bored, just that you could get bored not too early

dumb question:

Can you guys recommend some way to take multiple screenshots, without affecting the game performance?

The Rabbit Nibbler Member Korlon's Avatar

Just download one of the many screenshotting software. Google it I guess. All of them will affect game performance though as all of them use ram. I happen to use fraps, but you'd only have the option to save as .bmp, so you'd have to manually go back to resave it as a .jpg if you haven't registered it. So you can probably find something better.
    Last edited by Korlon; 04-02-2008 at 12:48.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Remanent or Supremacy - An EB Pontos AAR - Unfortunately postponed indefinitely.
    1.1 Saka Rauka Gameplay Guide
    1.1 Lusotannan Gameplay Guide

ETW Steam: Little Fox Member mini's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korlon
    Just download one of the many screenshotting software. Google it I guess. All of them will affect game performance though as all of them use ram. I happen to use fraps, but you'd only have the option to save as .bmp, so you'd have to manually go back to resave it as a .jpg if you haven't registered it. So you can probably find something better.

Just get yourself licensed on Fraps (you know.. ;) ) and u can make jpegs rigt away. That's how i make mine.

and on topic: use your gameprogress only as a useful tool to build your story on. Your actual progress should not be the the subject the aar evolves around, it should just supply you with certain circumstances and screens which you can use for the story.

That's how I play my aar. In fact, I could write my aar without even playing the game. But with the game, it's easier to create a setting and circumstances :)

Howies, quick screen capture is good for taken pics in Jpg format and pretty simple to use.

But back on the main topic... A.A.Rs? Tips!?

Hmm depends on your writing style. Mine is quite epic to say the least..quite novelistic like Theodotos. Chirurgeon has definatly raised the bar with his A.A.Rs along with some other greats like parthian Waste land. done by...i think his name is now Obelicex or somthing, he writes a funny A.A.R and its hard to match the comedy he produces. A recent Getic A.A.R has come out and the writer is skilled with picture editing too. If you are a dab hand at that, which i am not, then that will give you a step up in producing a good A.A.R the pictures are as equally important as they create the foundations of how to write your A.A.R but also set the scence.
    Leaving it for a while is no crime of course the risk is someone who comes along writing their own A.A.R with the same faction and writing a better one!
    It is not a competiton of course but from what i see Chirugeon has been nominated as the king of A.A.R writing. Every dog has his day though will it be you to unsurp his crown?
    As I walked through the Glenshane Pass I heard a young girl mourn
    The boy form Tamlaghtduff 'she cried 'is two years dead and gone'
    How my heart is torn apart this young man to lose
    Oh I'll never see the likes again of my young Francis Hughes ....

sounds good. actually i might just make up a story and use whatever screen shots i can to go with it. that way i can just use my own imagination instead of the war-of-attrition style of play and can have some good fun with it.
    Brothers in Arms- A Legionaries AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...86#post1853386