Thread: Greek place/tribe names

Default Greek place/tribe names

OK so I'm struggling a little to stay consistent in my AAR with all the Greek names for peoples and areas.

So can anyone help me here and correct me if I'm wrong.

This demonstrates what I have grasped from other AARs and stuff on here. Obviously I'm writing in English but I want to avoid saying things like 'Celtic' and 'Getian'

Thrace = Thraikia
    Thracians = Thraikes
    Thracian (n.) = ?
    Thracian (adj.) = Thraikioi

Scythia = Skythia
    Scythians = Skythai/Skythes?
    Scythian (n.) = ?
    Scythian (adj.) = Skythioi

Seleucid Empire = Arche Seleukeia
    Seleucids = Seleukeioi
    Seleucid (n.) = Seleukid?
    Seleucid (adj.) = Seleukeioi

I have no idea how right or wrong I am but I just want to get some kind of consistency in my AAR. I realise that the Getai didn't speak Greek but in EB they use Greek to represent the lost Dacian language. In fact my empire is so Hellenised now that the state language may even be Greek.
    "Every good barbarian is a Greek, and every bad Greek is worse than a barbarian" - Megas Alexandros

Please read my Getic AAR:
    On Mighty Getia: Commentaries on the Pan-Thracian Empire

Default Re: Greek place/tribe names

[QUOTE=Laevex]

Thrace = Thraikia
    Thracians = Thraikes (plural)
    Thracian (n.) = Thraix (singular)
    Thracian (adj.) = Thrakios (singular) and Thraikioi (plural)

Scythia = Skythia
    Scythians = Skythai/Skythes?
    Scythian (n.) = Skythes (singular)
    Scythian (adj.) = Skythios/Skythikos (singular) Skythioi/Skythikoi (plural)

Seleucid Empire = Arche Seleukeia
    Seleucids = Seleukeioi Seleukidai=From Seleukos
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CE%A3...B4%CE%B7%CF%82
    Seleukideis=from Seleukeia
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CE%A3...B5%CF%8D%CF%82
    Seleucid (n.) = Seleukid as above, Seleukides(singular)=From Seleukos and Seleukeus=From Seleukeia
    Seleucid (adj.) = Seleukeios (singular)/ Seleukeioi (plural)

QUOTE]

Note that one of two of the above are highly contested, still they are better than nothing.

Hope I helped!
    Best of luck with the AAR.

You like EB? Buy CA games.

keravnos that was better than any reply I expected! Thanks a lot.

My only other quieries are whether there are general rules. For example what is the difference between all the suffixes? (e.g. 'ai', 'oi' and 'es' in 'Skythai', 'Keltoi' and 'Thraikes'). There are so many words I don't know how to Hellenise. Such as 'Hellenic' and 'Boii', all the places and tribes I talk about need this treatment so it's a massive task. Is there any easy way of converting these words? Also the word 'empire' be useful. I understand that 'Arche' doesn't mean this does it? Or would 'Arche Getia' work?

If thiese questions are too big to answer then just say. I should probably get a 'Teach Yourself Ancient Greek' book or go have lessons. I just want to get my AAR consistent and sensible whithout using the modern English names for peoples and places. It's sort of a challenge I set myself.
    Last edited by Laevex; 03-31-2008 at 14:56.
    "Every good barbarian is a Greek, and every bad Greek is worse than a barbarian" - Megas Alexandros

Quote Originally Posted by Laevex
    keravnos that was better than any reply I expected! Thanks a lot.

My only other quieries are whether there are general rules. For example what is the difference between all the suffixes? (e.g. 'ai', 'oi' and 'es' in 'Skythai', 'Keltoi' and 'Thraikes'). There are so many words I don't know how to Hellenise. Such as 'Hellenic' and 'Boii', all the places and tribes I talk about need this treatment so it's a massive task. Is there any easy way of converting these words? Also the word 'empire' be useful. I understand that 'Arche' doesn't mean this does it? Or would 'Arche Getia' work?

If thiese questions are too big to answer then just say. I should probably get a 'Teach Yourself Ancient Greek' book or go have lessons. I just want to get my AAR consistent and sensible whithout using the modern English names for peoples and places. It's sort of a challenge I set myself.
    The general rules you speak of are 3 clauses, and a host of irregulars to boot. It takes a long time actually, and there is NO EASY way/quickfix for them. I am sorry, but that is the truth.

Hellenic->Hellenikos(singular)/Hellenikoi(plural)
    Boii->Boemios/Boemioi (from present day bohemia)

I wish there was an easy way of converting those words, but I can't think of any.

Empire=Autokratoria

For Getai I would go for "Getike Basileia" meaning "Reing of Getai".
    You could go with "Getike Autokratoria" as well. Lets keep "Arche" for the Seleukidai.

Thank you for a great AAR, btw.

Wasn't Skuthioi used for the Skythians as well?
    This space intentionally left blank.

Ambassador of Bartix Member Tiberius Nero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by keravnos

Empire=Autokratoria
    This is a somewhat late Greek term, probably a translation of imperium, and only really applicable to the Roman empire, or specifically to the authority of a Roman emperor; Greek doesn't really have a word for "empire", unless it is arkhe which again refers to the authority of a person or city, not to an expanse of land governed by a sovereign state.
    Wow, got 3 ballons in one fell swoop

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius Nero
    Greek doesn't really have a word for "empire", unless it is arkhe which again refers to the authority of a person or city, not to an expanse of land governed by a sovereign state.
    Well, we didn't name the faction the Arche Seleukeia for no reason. At least one contemporary inscription refers to the whole entity of the Seleukid Empire as both a basileia and an arche/arkhe, not just the authority, and it was the deciding factor in our naming the faction.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius Nero
    This is a somewhat late Greek term, probably a translation of imperium, and only really applicable to the Roman empire, or specifically to the authority of a Roman emperor; Greek doesn't really have a word for "empire", unless it is arkhe which again refers to the authority of a person or city, not to an expanse of land governed by a sovereign state.
    Absolutely right there. However the term "Autokratoria" was coined up by the greeks to describe the latin word "imperium" from which empire sprung up. As the question was which was the greek word for empire, I had to answer. I should have posted that it wasn't really used in our timeline, and only really started being used at about the time of Augustus, which is the end of EB.

Thank you, I stand corrected.

Thanks for the really useful advice.
    My AAR will be as ammended as possible now.
    If any of you happen to see a mistake (I will make them for sure) then just tell me and I will try my best to correct it.