Thread: Kilikian Pirates

Default Kilikian Pirates

Looool,

Anyone remember those rediculous barechested, harpoon-throwing, ap axe-totting madmen from vanilla?

I was wondering if there is any historical basis of from them, or were they just a unit made by CA?

If they were real, who did they raid, and who employed them (if that is the case)

Default Re: Kilikian Pirates

Well Kilikian pirates did exist and had also conquered Crete if I remember correctly. Pompey put an end to them

IIRC they were also a unit in RTR...
    not sure though, so i guess there is something with them:D
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Most likely the Cilicians in addition to Isaurians (tough sob's) will probably get their well-deserved units in EB2.

As a teammember wrote on internal forums "Isaurians & Cilicians will get some units slots, as severly underrepresented ethnicities".
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Quote Originally Posted by Krusader
    Most likely the Cilicians in addition to Isaurians (tough sob's) will probably get their well-deserved units in EB2.

As a teammember wrote on internal forums "Isaurians & Cilicians will get some units slots, as severly underrepresented ethnicities".

These guys even had an importance in the Byzantine Empire, as well as the Mardaites (sp?). I'll be very happy to see them in EB2 if this is the case.

Playing bare bones and Eb at moment both Pontus..in my bare bones one they are a main stay of my army,death dealing harpoon loonies!
    So come down get of your F****** cross,we need the space,to nail the next to the wall

The term for 'bare bones' is, I believe, 'vanilla'. Ya gotta speak the language, yo.

I rather liked those Kilikians though. It'll be nice to see them around again, though hopefully nastier (pseudo-Uazali?).

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Those Cilician Pirates were great! I recruited them exclusively to use as my marine corp in a Selucid campaign. I had a half stack of them that would act as a quick reaction/raiding force throughout the Mediteranean. They fought everywhere, but sometimes they lost to cavalry and heavy infantry. Still, they were great, and they are one of the few "Vanilla" units I miss... I gotta get me one of those harpoons!

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Cilician pirates, Rhodian slingers, and Arcani are the only Vanilla units I really miss. Please, bring those back, if they are historically correct. Except the Arcani, you´ve got to bring them back no matter what!
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Combustion Member beatoangelico's Avatar

rhodian slingers will be back in 1.1 (see preview)

Arcani too

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vorian
    Well Kilikian pirates did exist and had also conquered Crete if I remember correctly. Pompey put an end to them
    Well, "put an end" as in resettled them onto better farming land and probably took a goodly number into his clientage. Which mattered for his youngest son later on when he became the Mediterranean's de facto pirate king.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius
    Well, "put an end" as in resettled them onto better farming land and probably took a goodly number into his clientage. Which mattered for his youngest son later on when he became the Mediterranean's de facto pirate king.
    I didn't know that. Can you give me a link (I only have wiki and my own knowledge I am afraid)

Remind me the first time I heard of Rome's pirate war was when I was 8 and read an Asterix book where Ceasar had brought the pirates to Rome in a triumph (I mean the regular ones, the red-hair captain with the old man who always spoke in Latin and the big black guy ) Oh, the memories of my childhood!

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vorian
    I didn't know that. Can you give me a link (I only have wiki and my own knowledge I am afraid)
    Mentioned in Adrian Goldsworthy's In the Name of Rome, when talking about Pompey's campaign against the pirates in 67BC, using tactics which had worked against tribes in Spain. Although many pirates were actually settled in Cilicia (rather than being removed from there), with the settlement of Soli being renamed Pompeiopolis. He references Appian and Plutarch.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 04-02-2008 at 10:59.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Ahhh, intriguing indeed.

Well in a side note, what weapons and gear would they have used? I'm pretty sure they werent "handed out" weaponry, so would it be the usual weapons of the area like the celtic longswords or tabar axes?

Would they run around like shirtless madmen to try and show their bravery?

Would they actually use harpoons and stab people with those pointy, pointy, death dealing sticks? (was the harpoon even invented yet?)

Or were they just levies, who raided the coasts in small barges like some other pirates at the time, or did they actually have small fleets of triremes?

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Harpoons date back to Stone Age, so they were most definitely known. I rather imagine people normally used good old throwing-spears instead for fighting though.

Wasn't the good old bireme or some similar design (don't out of hand remember what exactly those "lemboi" ships the description says the Illyrian favoured for piratical activities were like) the pirate ship par excellence of the period ?
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman
    Harpoons date back to Stone Age, so they were most definitely known. I rather imagine people normally used good old throwing-spears instead for fighting though.

Wasn't the good old bireme or some similar design (don't out of hand remember what exactly those "lemboi" ships the description says the Illyrian favoured for piratical activities were like) the pirate ship par excellence of the period ?

From what information I have, Pentekonters were the favored pirate ship of choice in the eastern Mediterranean, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman

Liburnian?
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Damned if I remember. Something light, fast and cost-effective anyway no doubt, as canny people in that profession have always liked it.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Lies We Can Belive In Member Barry Soteiro's Avatar

I'm happy to know that the cilician will be more represented in EB2.
    Lies we can believe in