Thread: Making movies from battle replays

Revolutionary Member The New Che Guevara's Avatar

Default Making movies from battle replays

right. I've decided I wanted to do one of those videos for RTW and I have a song, and more than enough battle replays.

BUT... stupid me, not being intelligent or smart with computers (beyond the normal person's knowledge) have found that I cant use the files in the movie maker.

I'm using windows movie maker from windows XP home (please feel free to comment on how bad it is. My aunt does) and it won't accept the files. I'm not sure how to change them into the type of files that the movie maker will accept. Some assistance por favor.
    The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle. The workers have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to gain. Workers of the world, UNITE! - Karl Marx, The Communist Manifesto

Post Re: Making movies from battle replays

Sadly no application beyond the game itself is able to decode them - they are not actually technically speaking a video file. Rather they are a bunch of instructions as to army movements and only the game can decode and then display them. It makes it very awkward, but there is a way that the files can be used.

The application Taski is perfect for this. Unlike the better known FRAPs, Taski is 100% free, having almost all of the video creating/screen capture features of the pay-for version of FRAPs. It does lack audio recording functions though, but that should be included in later versions.

To transform the video to a readable format, simply use the application to record the battle's progression on screen in the game's recorded battle play back feature. You can also use it to record battles as they happen rather than using the inbuilt battle recording function.

Hope this is useful
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 04-04-2008 at 08:23.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Default Re: Making movies from battle replays

That would mean you could record campaign game battles to, I guess?

Seems odd that in game only the single battles are recordable.

Revolutionary Member The New Che Guevara's Avatar

Default Re: Making movies from battle replays

Right... I've downloaded taksi (latest stable version) and now what do I do.

Yes I am this simple minded. A list of instructions might help.
    The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle. The workers have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to gain. Workers of the world, UNITE! - Karl Marx, The Communist Manifesto

Post Re: Making movies from battle replays

Firstly double click the .msi package. It should launch a window offer options for installation. Go through the process until it finishes.

After that, run taksi.exe from an installed shortcut and then run R:TW.

Look at left top corner of the screen. If you see a green rectangle, then the game has been latched onto.

Full details are shown in the manual which should install along with the application. It should be accessable through one of the installed shortcuts.

Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed